• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Thread Export: Meta Knight

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Matchup Thread Export Directory
:metaknight: :snake: :wario: :falco: :diddy: :dedede: :marth: :olimar: :popo: :toonlink:

META KNIGHT

DIFFICULTY: HARD - 40:60

Quick Tips
  • Down-smash after down-throw? YES
  • Bucket anything? NO
  • A well-timed UpB against ALL of MK's B moves will put MK in a disabled free-fall state. (See video)

Videos

General Matchup
  • Meta Knight is a much faster character than GW in almost every situation. The startup time on his attacks are lower, the ending/landing lag on his attacks are lower, runs/trots faster, and he can glide. All of these factors will probably lead to MK players being able to out maneuver GW's.
  • MK has infinite amount of priority on all of his attacks (except glide attack), however GW will likely have more range than his attacks (in the cases of bair, fair, dtilt) which, since they are disjointed, will cut through. However, moves like ftilt, up b, and fsmash will break this rule.
  • MK's b moves prove to be exceptionally annoying. His mach tornado (neutral b) grants him excessive amounts of priority, maneuverability, and damage dealing ability. His forward b allows him to recover to the stage often unchallenged due to high priority and his up b is incredibly fast and strong while allowing him to glide/glide attack which is also quite strong and difficult to punish.
  • Although usually considered to be bad at landing kills, MK has enough options to give gw trouble. The dsmash is an extremely fast smash attack that, when fresh, can easily kill gw in the early 100's, maybe sooner depending on the situation. The up b and glide attack, when used near the edge, can kill gw very early as well.
  • Other than straight kills, it is also possible for MK's to edgeguard with the dair far off the stage. He can also grab the edge just as you try to up b to it and then use his own up b near the edge to send you back out, which can be difficult to avoid at times.
  • Edgeguarding MK usually involves aggressive use of the up b and forward air off the stage to score quick kills. On some stages it is also possible to stage spike MK with the dash attack near the ledge if they are trying to up from below. Making use of the up air will also help gw to control MK's position. Dairs will go through his upb and the top of his tornado, which can really limit his recovery options if you know what your doing.
  • MK will often be able to combo game and watch a reasonable amount, usually from grab to fair setups, dtilts, up airs, up b's, and even tornado's.
  • GW has no particular problem comboing MK, although it may be easier for him to DI out of your multi-hitting attacks easier because he has a smaller frame. Dthrow to dsmash has to be teched to be avoided, and since his tech rolls and buffer rolls aren't amazingly long, tech chasing mk shouldn't be too hard. Also, his air movement might seem good, but thats only because he has a lot of jumps, use up airs to pressure him when hes above you and force him into the position you want him to be in.

Basic Strategies
  • Keep in mind that MK has no projectiles to force you into an aggressive stance. He will usually have to come to you, which, if you make good use of moves like the dtilt, will put him in a bad position.
  • If a MK player begins to spam the tornado often, there are a lot of options. Moves such as the dash attack, forward smash, down smash, and back air are known to be able to take MK out of the tornado from the side if used correctly. The dair will always hit him out of it from above. If you up b right next to MK then you can pop him way up into the air forcing him to be in freefall animation, which should allow him to be punished with a smash. If you get caught in the tornado you can either mash up b (this will shoot him way up about half the time) or try to di upwards out of it and then air dodge.
  • Remember that you have more range and priority with your fair, bair, and dair when battling him in the air, which you should use to your advantage when encountering him here.
  • On the ground, most MK players will approach with dash attacks or dash grabs, both of which are very quick. This can be countered by the even faster dtilt, which will knock them away to be chased for a dash attack or a grab even.
  • Learn to combo with the neutral air and up b will as this will rack up a lot of much needed damage in the matchup. Also, the downthrow to dsmash combo will often work if they don't tech, and if they do learn to chase with an up smash, which will kill quite early.
  • Up air their recovery attempts, tornado, forward b, or down b in the air. This will put them in awful situations that usually end in well charged smashes.
  • Learn the situations that meta knight players are likely to dsmash in. This is the move you need to avoid the most. Usually they will do it after glide attack canceling, when they think they can hit your shield and not be punished, or they will begin to use it a lot as your percent rises. Keep an eye out for it as it can kill very early.
  • When recovering, you have two options generally, high or low. High will usually give you the best results v mk, yeah you might take a hit, but the odds of getting gimped are pretty low. If you go low, you have a better chance of not taking any damage at all, but also you could get gimped and lose a stock. Different mk's give different results, try both and see what your opponent does.
  • Only challenge the glide attack with a back air, as its the only move that will work consistently against it. It looks very predictable, but that doesn't mean a fsmash will go through it. GW players will find themselves dieing very early from this move if they challenge it the wrong way as its quite strong.

Stages
  • Corneria, if on, will work well as it has a short ceiling (gw has more upward killing attacks than mk) and you can fin camp/infinite as well. Stay in the middle if you need to avoid getting killed and your at high percents. Green greens also can work in your favor, yielding early kills if you play in the middle section. Unfortunately, these stages are usually banned. Other suggestable stages are halberd, again for the short ceiling.
  • Personal preference is a very big deal here. Work on the stages that you feel the most comfortable on as GW and MK will often look for the same things in stages.
  • Avoid stages with enclosed areas like Luigi's Mansion as the tornado/dtilt locks become quite annoying here.

Frame Data
  • Neutral B: 12-104 (can last up to 92 frames)
  • Side B: N/A
  • Up B: 8 (invincible frames start on 5)
  • Down B: N/A
  • Fsmash: 24
  • Dsmash: 5, 10
  • Usmash: 8, 12, 17
  • Ftilt: 3, 6, 9
  • Dtilt: 3
  • Utilt: 8
  • Nair: 3
  • Fair: 6, 10, 13
  • Bair: 7, 13, 20
  • Uair: 2
  • Dair: 4
  • Jab: N/A
  • Dash Attack: 5
  • Standing Grab: 6
  • Dash Grab: 8
  • Pivot Grab: 8

Lord Chair

Smash Master
MK has infinite amount of priority on all of his attacks (except glide attack),
And dash attack.

Only challenge the glide attack with a back air, as its the only move that will work consistently against it. It looks very predictable, but that doesn't mean a fsmash will go through it. GW players will find themselves dieing very early from this move if they challenge it the wrong way as its quite strong.
What properties does Uair have on gliding?

Good lord, that's all I have to add. I'm so worthless.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Green Greens and Norfair are very, VERY good stages to fight MK on; I can't vouch for Corneria the same, but I imagine it's fairly good as well. If GGs and Corneria are off, I would usually, if not always, go Norfair. If they are wise enough to ban it, I then would instead go Brinstar or Halberd.

The stage bit seems lacking in this stage export. Maybe we should expand on this?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
This matchup is basically the same as vs Marth. Diss him with F-air. Know how to interrupt his flow with D-tilt, b-air, U-air, N-air, Up-B, etc. D-air hits him out of his Up-B so use that offstage to edgeguard.

Sph34r

Smash Journeyman
Dash attack clanks with full bukit. It's gay. I have a vid somewhere.
WHAT

MK is ******** :urg:

Bair is starting to fail lol. All MK really has to do is smash the analog stick in some direction (all MK's are inherently good at that) then mash b for an easy punish. Or, if he's smart, he'll just spam ftilt, and you'll never touch him (because MK's ftilt has the properties of both a dtilt and an utilt, LOL).

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes, a MK might try to do a grounded grab release into a Dsmash. As far as I could tell, the only way to get around this is to shield after the release. As it turns out, you end up powershielding the hit and can go from there.

Even though it isn't guaranteed, some players might try to abuse it (like our Dthrow -> Dsmash), so I think it's good to know that it's out there and how to work around it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
WHAT

MK is ******** :urg:

Bair is starting to fail lol. All MK really has to do is smash the analog stick in some direction (all MK's are inherently good at that) then mash b for an easy punish. Or, if he's smart, he'll just spam ftilt, and you'll never touch him (because MK's ftilt has the properties of both a dtilt and an utilt, LOL).
Bait and F-air his face if he camps F-tilt/F-smash.

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
The only thing i can add to this that i seem to do is after i shield their up b on the ground, its a free nair or i use a fair if he is in killing percentage. Seems to always work with out giving them the chance of glide attacking

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
The only thing i can add to this that i seem to do is after i shield their up b on the ground, its a free nair or i use a fair if he is in killing percentage. Seems to always work with out giving them the chance of glide attacking
If they aren't at kill percentage yet, you can also use judgment. ;)

I'm dead serious on this one, I've won a tournament match because of it

Lord Chair

Smash Master
I'm dead serious on this one, I've won a tournament match because of it
I survived Wario's fsmash at 220% on Brinstar by DIing downwards.

DIing downwards is viable almost anywhere, any time.

I'm dead serious on that one, I've won serious friendlies with it.

Don't worry, I still love you.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
MK's tornado has clanked with a full Corneria laser bucket. I used Bucket on the MK player and he tornadoed and beat it.

Vinnie

Smash Master
My input.

I'm not that great at this matchup yet, but here's my input.

NOJ said:
only a terrible MK would lose to a GW
At top levels, this matchup seems impossible now. Anything new that GnW can have against MK should be posted.

What I have found is, MK:GnW is like 60:40 ~ 65:35.
However, Aggressive MK : GnW is like 40:60. The only real way the mk wins this matchup is by watching the GnW and using his moves to counter him, like ftilt and dtilt.

SO. In order to switch a campy MK into an aggro one, we need to conditionalize. I've been working on this... if a MK starts to camp you, you can make them aggressive by doing things like:

• Go on the edge
-This can be risky, but if you keep in mind everything the mk can do to you, you can pile on excess damage. Know which moves beat which, so if he runs off the edge and dairs, you know to [insert move that beats dair here] him.

• Hold your shield
-Hold your shield until it gets weared down greatly. This will often force the MK into an offensive position, where you can retreat bairs and shut down his approaches.

I'll add more after I find more things about this matchup.

llamapaste

Smash Journeyman
It seems like from watching Metaknight v. GDubs that the matchup is worse than 40-60 but idk. It seems like Metaknight can stop anything Game & Watch can do with shuttle loop and other moves. Listen to the post above mine lol. Nice job PGN

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I'm actually really skeptical that anyone beats G&W more than 6:4. Obviously he has a few 6:4 matchups in MK/Snake/Marth/Diddy/whatever, but I really doubt the matchups are any worse at the highest levels of play. While they may have some good moves that "counter" a certain tactic, G&W has so many viable moves in a lot of situations coupled with Brawl's obviously good defensive tactics such as powershielding that I don't think any character shuts G&W down thoroughly enough in most aspects to make winning on the rarer side. Ratios are a tricky subject.

That being said, MK, in my opinion, is NOT our hardest matchup. It's easy to see some of the advantages Meta Knight has to counter the common G&W approach tactic (Shuttle Loop on Turtle) and his superior horizontal ground control, but many overlook some key parts of the matchup that G&W enjoys. Mainly, Meta Knight's poor aerial mobility coupled with very few lasting aerials. Chef is, funnily, decently useful just because of MK's really poor aerial mobility and short jumps.

This is a huge plus when fighting Meta Knight in the air, as he is limited in where he can go when set above you. His aerials, while being quick and having very little lag time, don't actually cover him too well when fighting G&W above or off the stage. The most abusable thing G&W can do in this matchup is getting Meta Knight into the air above him; Nair is always a more-than-solid choice, UpB is a great poke as always, and while MK does have have some mobility when directly above G&W, it's limited to his extra jumps and therefore easy to take advantage of with Uair. MK also isn't too well at keeping G&W in the air without being on the ground; Dair beats ungrounded Shuttle Loop the majority of the time as well as Uair (as I remember). The main advantages MK have are when he is planted on the ground, to abuse his Tilts, Fsmash, and his Shuttle Loop, so you obviously work towards getting him off the ground.

G&W also has the advantage in living longer, though this might not ring true for some of you. MK's kill moves aren't actually *that* impressive when you are constantly working to get around them, and G&W's momentum canceling is top notch. MK has poor momentum canceling, as well as being very close to G&W's weight, so he cant take much punishment from your powerful moves. Overall, G&W has the upperhand in the war of attrition here, unlike most of his other matchups. The key is actually getting your moves in, of course.

You guys dont need to be reminded that G&W has some of the best answers in the game to Meta Knight's specials by using Uair and UpB smartly, and I don't think any G&W mains should find planking particularly hard to beat as Game and Watch. It's really Shuttle Loop and being on the ground that makes this matchup not even.

Also, I'd like to add that some regions give MK a huge buff in the G&W vs Meta Knight matchup; regions that do only 5 starters and/or random starter. This is a huge killer, as you WANT to get rid of FD in this matchup. 5 starter strike isn't that bad, but I felt like I should include it because G&W definitely does much better vs MK if it's instead 7 starter strike. Regions with conservative stage selection really can make this matchup a tough one, too. Ideally, you want both Norfair and Green Greens legal, as these stress G&W's strong points and hamper MK's advantages in the matchup. Conservative regions might not have both or even one of those, so that may skew some people's opinions on this as well. Brinstar + Norfair are better to CP against MK than going to Battlefield, I find, but Green Greens is the best stage you can get in this matchup.

Anyway it's nearing 4 am at this point in the post so I may of not been as coherent as I would of liked and I could of even skipped something or explained half-*****. This is pretty much a disclaimer if you guys feel like picking on me :p

6:4 is my final thoughts for this export.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Every other matchup for G&W has some "trade off" or some dynamic point he can attempt to exploit vs his other bad matchups (Marth you can have fairly good success edgeguarding, Diddy you can take his bananas or try to keep him in the air and also go for the edgeguard or gimp, Snake is similar to Diddy in those regards as well, and his other close matchups like Wario, Dedede, etc have something noticeable he can try to exploit). Against MK, there's not much going for G&W as far as trying to make the fight even. You can't try to really go for a gimp or edgeguard, you can't really try to juggle him in the air to the same degree as Snake or Diddy, you can't try to outcamp him like you can try vs Diddy/Snake/Dedede/etc.

MK can camp you, stop you from camping, outranges you, outspeeds you, and he can abuse grounded Upb to stuff your approaches. That is... depressing once the MK realizes this and plays accordingly.

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
Mk vs GaW should be 60;40, it could be me but I perform well against MKs. If you know the matchup well then it shouldn't be extremely tough. Marth, Snake, and diddy are the worse matchups. I've studied marth and snake matchup, and I don't do too bad against them, but diddy kong really annoys me.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
^^^^ I would disagree with Snake and Marth for sure, and possibly Diddy.

Marth is basically a worse version of MK, or a toned down version of MK. He has bigger flaws to exploit than MK, and his frame data/hitboxes aren't close to "completely overrunning" that of G&W's. He's easier to edgeguard and unless he gets a tipper Fsmash, is gonna take longer to kill G&W than MK will take % wise.

I think Diddy is 60:40 leaning towards 55:45, Marth as a solid 60:40, and Snake as either a 55:45 leaning towards 60:40 or a solid 55:45. MK on the other hand feels like a 60:40 leaning on 65:35 or a solid 65:35.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Metaknight has more reason to tech the D-throw than Marth....that's something at least. Meaning that you know he's pretty much going to techroll to be conservative. Then you can regrab him. His Up-B also isn't like Marth's in that it's invincible on startup, helping to increase the window you can regrab him.

Metaknight is easier to juggle than Marth too for simple reasons. He has lower aerial top speed, and he doesn't have counter to punish not-optimally-spaced Up-Bs. It's easier to get U-air juggle strings on him to keep your F-air fresh for the KO too.

Otherwise basically this entire matchup, you will be baiting him so that you can weave between his attacks with aerials and tilts. If you can then somehow punish his ledge getups and juggle him for a good amount of time, that's how you'll win.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Every other matchup for G&W has some "trade off" or some dynamic point he can attempt to exploit vs his other bad matchups (Marth you can have fairly good success edgeguarding, Diddy you can take his bananas or try to keep him in the air and also go for the edgeguard or gimp, Snake is similar to Diddy in those regards as well, and his other close matchups like Wario, Dedede, etc have something noticeable he can try to exploit). Against MK, there's not much going for G&W as far as trying to make the fight even. You can't try to really go for a gimp or edgeguard, you can't really try to juggle him in the air to the same degree as Snake or Diddy, you can't try to outcamp him like you can try vs Diddy/Snake/Dedede/etc.
You have to realize that while MK doesn't have such an outstanding issue with being juggled like Snake, or that his recovery isn't as prone to edgeguarding as Marth's, he definitely does have issues with these very slightly in the G&W matchup. Enough of these slight advantages is quite similar to the 'one big flaw' that we can abuse versus our other bad matchups.

Edgeguarding MK is really not too difficult offstage. You aren't going to be getting easy kills once they go offstage like Diddy, but you will be constantly be getting free damage without a trade off when edgeguarding MK if you play it right, though even trading hits offstage with MK is more than good enough. Fairs, Dairs, and Bairs are tons more safe offstage, and a lot of my kills are early edgeguarding ones in this case.

Juggling MK isn't as noteworthy as with doing it against Diddy, but he also doesn't stuff our approaches as well as the smart banana use does. We definitely have the matchup advantage when he's above us, though it may not be as skewed as the other bad MUs. His poor aerial mobility really does make it mostly easy to keep him up, and he has to put himself in a generally poor position a lot of the time before the situation gets worse (losing even more jumps to your Uair). Juggling MK is easier than in the Marth matchup, at least.

Outcamping MK is actually feasible; MK may be able to stuff your approaches, but he has his own issues if you have the solid lead when trying to get it back. I have found myself running away from MKs quite blatantly when I have the stock lead and getting several hits on MK as he tries to gain the momentum back. Chef really limits him to running in and shielding the hits or wasting several jumps above the food which leaves him open above you. If you give him no room to 'run and shield', then you force a great positional advantage. G&W on the edge isn't too bad vs MK, but I wouldn't suggest staying on it for more than a hit of Nair or UpB (planking isn't too helpful for either MK or G&W in this matchup beyond a free hit or two at most).

His issues add up somewhat, coupled with the fact that his advantages aren't *that* overwhelming at all.

MK can camp you, stop you from camping, outranges you, outspeeds you, and he can abuse grounded Upb to stuff your approaches. That is... depressing once the MK realizes this and plays accordingly.
I do agree with the fact MK can camp you handily on most linear starters. Getting the momentum in the matchup is crucial early on, though it's not impossible to gain it back if you are down. I disagree that MK can stop our camping, as his answers to our moves are mainly reactionary, such as grounded upB; If we avoid his dangerous moves like Fsmash and Shuttle Loop by not approaching (we *are* camping of course :p ), his replies are a lot less glamorous.

On a whole, our range is very similar and close. There are a few exceptions he has that outrange our lengthier moves, but they are typically only grounded moves. In the air we have greater range. Adding onto this, having quicker moves mainly helps for being on the ground. His quick aerials don't do that great of a job countering our aerials because of our greater mobility and the ability to back out. His Fair in particular is something he doesnt want to commit to with his bad mobility that you can move in to his front and move back in time to avoid it, and still throw out a move in reply.

but yeah to the grounded UpB in this matchup. That's really the kicker that makes this matchup not even/very close to even. MK beats G&W on the ground by a fair margin, and even moreso when you are behind and forced to approach to gain back control.

I'm not trying to oversell the matchup (dont get me wrong, it's clearly a bad matchup for us), I'm just pointing out that there are some key things we have to work with in this that makes it not so dreadful to be beyond a 6:4 disadvantage versus MK. I don't think it's wrong to say Marth and MK beat G&W the same, as I've never seen MK as a strictly better Marth in the fields that he beats G&W in. Meta Knight vs Game and Watch is no more than 6:4 is what I'm convinced, so if you all think Marth is clearly easier than him, then perhaps Marth is overrated by us. I don't know as much about the Marth matchup, in comparison to this one.

fraudster111

Smash Apprentice
I played a mk that at first i was beating him then he got pissed and had to take a leave. I think he went to go read the matchup idk but when he came back all my bairs were eating up b oos ALL DAY. Im not a gnw that once his bair is sealed i break down. So i decide to trying nair approach and my favorite chef spam into a grab. The beginning of our matches he was all aggressive and "im mk therefore i dont need to shield" When he came back he was all patient and zen master like, just approaching with tilts and the occasional fair. The end of the day i lost, badly so after that i read the matchup and i was like " wow, now thats some mo bull"

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
^^^^ I would disagree with Snake and Marth for sure, and possibly Diddy.

Marth is basically a worse version of MK, or a toned down version of MK. He has bigger flaws to exploit than MK, and his frame data/hitboxes aren't close to "completely overrunning" that of G&W's. He's easier to edgeguard and unless he gets a tipper Fsmash, is gonna take longer to kill G&W than MK will take % wise.

I think Diddy is 60:40 leaning towards 55:45, Marth as a solid 60:40, and Snake as either a 55:45 leaning towards 60:40 or a solid 55:45. MK on the other hand feels like a 60:40 leaning on 65:35 or a solid 65:35.

after watching valdens beat felix a few times im starting to think Diddy might be 55:45

as for snake its definitely 60:40 at least

and MK is really freaking gay if he doesnt approach and IMO GnW's worst matchup

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
after watching valdens beat felix a few times im starting to think Diddy might be 55:45

as for snake its definitely 60:40 at least

and MK is really freaking gay if he doesnt approach and IMO GnW's worst matchup
In those videos where Valdens wrecked Felix, he was not playing against a good Diddy. I wouldn't use that match to base your matchup off of.

I got to play Gnes's Diddy last tournament. It was really really hard.

Whoops this is the MK discussion thread, uh, I like playing against MKs now =)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Zac you used Fair too much, you gotta do that baiting thing you did to me where you would SH a lot and Nair only when I would throw a banana. THAT was the most annoying thing ever lol.

:( Either that or you gotta judgement him more.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
In those videos where Valdens wrecked Felix, he was not playing against a good Diddy. I wouldn't use that match to base your matchup off of.

I got to play Gnes's Diddy last tournament. It was really really hard.

Whoops this is the MK discussion thread, uh, I like playing against MKs now =)
Umm... felix is a VERY good diddy lol

he always sandbags when he splits.. which is every time he plays valdens <_<

Trust me, felix usually ***** valdens, but i can still see it being 55:45

Valdens

Smash Ace
What the **** Toobusy, LOL

I jv 2 stocked Felix twice the tournament before that set was uploaded, and beat him in two consecutive sets in grand finals.

That's a bit far from getting *****.

On topic, definitely a 60:40 matchup. We can kill him incredibly early and we're the only, other than himself, character that can effectively edgeguard him, but he has too many defensive tools for GnW to get through. =(

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure I ***** it up in Winners finals when I was trying. 3-1.

Splitting makes me not play my best, and it's really dumb. I was pretty much looking for nerd that whole set so he could watch my match. That's why I'm not gonna split anymore. Especially since vids of me sandbagging are gonna go on youtube so valdens can brag about how he beat me so badly. haha

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
I got 1 stocked, then two stocked by you that one tournament set at G.O. 2.5 because I didn't know how to punish your up b. Praxis taught me some stuff, and then I learned the matchup better. If you want to refer to a video, pick Set 2 of grand or Winner Finals. At least I thought I had to try again that last set.

Novabound

Smash Apprentice
I usually do extremely well against MKs. This weekend I played Pops at a funzy tourney. During friendlies I got wrecked, and I took a walk outside. Then the game was easier and I turned it around and was ******. At the tourney, I played him in loser finals.

Anyways, what made the game so hard was he approached with F tilt and D tilt. F tilt seeming beats everything that gaw can really do from the front. It really felt like the only thing I could do is shield dash into a grab...which if he predicts I got grabbed. To be honest, I feel like I have a tight tech chase game. I usually chain 4 to 5 grabs before I mess up, or go into a smash. And he mind gamed me well enough that I couldn't grab more than twice.

Enough of my complaining. I feel like he knew the fight, but not the maps we like. Besides my counter pick of Brinstar, the games I did well on, or won on was Delfino Plaza, Jungle Japes, and Lylat. The maps where we can fight well underneath the stage and still safely recover give us a huge leverage in map control, especially Brinstar. If you haven't played on it much, please do. I've won so many games that I was getting ***** in just by going here.

I feel like down throw to tech chase isn't as viable against good players in general. Given, if you get two or three grabs in, you did very little damage and refreshed maybe two moves. For mk, it may actually be much better to throw them up. Mk's poor mobility is easily exploitable via up throw nair and uair. (Which refreshes moves faster and better than dthrow tech chase.) Keeping mk in the air is essential.

I lost the set, but it taught me a lot. Don't get discouraged by ftilts, and bait them/force them into the air. Pick maps that you control significantly better than mk, and be patient.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Usually I do Grab, Pummel, D-throw, techchase regrab, Pummel, U-throw. That does about 20%, which is actually pretty good. That outdamages any of G&W's aerials, and uses a total of four consecutive attacks.

Most players seem to spotdodge if you techchase a roll slightly late, so DA usually punishes this keep in mind. Even if they try to attack, usually the DA will hit them first.

Neb

Smash Lord
I'll only dthrow if my opponent has a bad techroll, they're at killing percentages, or if we're on a platform. Otherwise I'm using the other three throws.

You can rack-on ample damage with pummel (3%) and f/b/uthrow (8%). You then have uair to refresh your moves, and an almost guaranteed nair; give or take that's 28% damage, 34% if you follow-up with upb. Having your opponent above G&W is so much more favorable than on the ground, he has the tools to out-perform most, if not all the cast, while having stronger govern over the situation, and more room for error than dthrow.

Furthermore, using well-timed attacks and charged smashes, G&W can imitate the dthrow techchase as his foe moves to land. Or if you can't set-up in time, instead, pull away and use chef to put your foe in a disadvantageous position.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
techchase regrabbing with G&W is still good in this matchup. The extra damage you can do does add up, and my personal impression is that even good players do predictable things when you D-throw them.

Techchasing properly can also give you a psychological edge, which at any rate is often one of the most important things for maintaining momentum in any given matchup.

It's pretty hard to get off smashes as Metaknight lands unless you can predict him spacing really badly or doing a Tornado. Usually the best option for power is F-air, which can kill or get him offstage. D-air hits him out of Shuttle Loop, which is valuable to remember when edgeguarding him.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
don't ever take MK to delfino lol
preferably i like fighting him on lylat
brinstar is good too

as always,i avoid FD =.=
lol

edit:
inb4UTDzacrapesmypost

Top Bottom