• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Our Jab Sucks, Except Against THESE Characters

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
You can file this under **** we should have known a year ago: characters who we can finish our jab combo on.

**Note: This does not take into account SDI. With SDI, I believe most if not all characters can power shield our third jab**

Characters who do not powershield our 3rd jab:
Zelda
Luigi
Yoshi
Peach
Samus
Lucario
Jiggs
Marth (can Up B out)
Ness
GaW
Squirtle (can jab out)

Characters who can PS with normal DI at some percents:
Toon Link
ROB
Kirby (Ducks under third jab with downward DI)
Olimar

The Weird Ones:
Pit/Ivysaur (seems to depend on what range of the jab they are hit, and what percent they're at. results were mixed)

I welcome anyone who feels like testing to try these for yourselves to make sure my data is correct. Basically, I tested with fresh jab (in training room) with no DI (just holding the shield button) and downward DI (down on analog+hold shield) to find these results:

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
I was trying this with Mario earlier today, and it wasn't blocking... any explanation?

I was doing it on corneria, on the middle section tot he left of the big slant, but there are still slopes there. Do you think slopes effect?

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Nice research. Though really, isn't it usually better to do two jabs, then crouch and DTilt instead? It does more damage and can lead into Uair.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
Nice research. Though really, isn't it usually better to do two jabs, then crouch and DTilt instead? It does more damage and can lead into Uair.
It's blockable. We usually do it because we think we can't land the third hit, and Dtilt is safer on block.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
We don't have any guaranteed combos out of our second jab, except for jab 3 on the characters I listed above. So the safest thing to do if they are not on this list is to cancel into either a spot dodge, froll, dash away to pivot grab, or any other mixup to take advantage of them trying to shieldgrab you.

Since we can combo our jab 3 on these characters, our combat walking may also work on them for a few rotations or until they SDI, this is something else we need to look into.

WarpStatus

Smash Apprentice
It does work on marth, just smart marths up b it. However It's still a mindgame and you can trick them into building a habit. Then just 1 jab shield for some easy punishments.

noradseven

Smash Lord
I'm having trouble believing that it works on Olimar.
I have trouble believing this too, lol. I think we know why :D

also 1 jab d-tilt is tradition because first jab doesn't have as bad as a frame disadvantage plus by the time ppl realised what happened you are already d-tilting so...

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Yeah olimar irked me too, because when I play my brother he does PS it a lot. It proly has something to do with stale moves, and maybe the difference in kb between training and versus. I wasn't really sure what to make of that so I put it down. That's why I made this thread, because we should know this, and so I recommend you guys test it yourselves to make sure this is correct.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
For once Ganon and Link don't get screwed in the a** by something in the game mechanics........

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
MK actually falls fast enough that you can potentially d-smash chain him.

also, I've personally had Olimar PS the third jab in training mode.

also, there's nothing wrong with doing this in training mode, the first and second jab don't even have KGR, so they don't change with decay. Characters will always be locked in our first/second jab the exact same amount whether it's regular brawl, training, fully decayed or not. etc etc.

plus, in the end, anyone with ZSS knowledge will just DI down and shield when jabbed. You should just triple jab anyone you haven't played before and see if they shield it properly.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
plus, in the end, anyone with ZSS knowledge will just DI down and shield when jabbed. You should just triple jab anyone you haven't played before and see if they shield it properly.
This pretty much. I'll remove Olimar from the list if you say you had him shielding, I'm not sure how I could get that wrong but then again I do know my brother PSs my jab all the time with his Olimar so w/e.

solecalibur

Smash Master
squirtle can jab out of my 3rd jab almost always he doesn't need to power sheild O.o
my friend mains PKMN trainer so i know these things

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
squirtle can jab out of my 3rd jab almost always he doesn't need to power sheild O.o
my friend mains PKMN trainer so i know these things
Do you know if your friend has to DI well, or is he just mashing jab? Intuitively it seems like you would have to DI, since if you can't PS cause you're in the air, then you can't jab either.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
one thing about jab is, his comes out on frame 1, his shield comes out on frame 2. so even if it took time for him to land and then he fails to shield, he might have time to jab.

and wtf why does squirtle get 1 frame less on his pummel ground release, ****ing stupid. he can pummel ground release to jab us. US!! ):

oze6000

Smash Apprentice
Wish i knew more about when pit can get out of it. My brother plays as him and can sometimes shield it, but can't really punish too well.

Top Bottom