• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Thread Export: Snake

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Matchup Thread Export Directory
:metaknight: :snake: :wario: :falco: :diddy: :dedede: :marth: :olimar: :popo: :toonlink:

SNAKE

DIFFICULTY: REALLY HARD - 35:65

Quick Tips
  • Down-smash after down-throw? NO (yes only if they used getup attack)
  • Bucket anything? NO
  • Snake's dsmash can be destroyed by the tip of dair without taking damage. You can also use uair from underneath it or an empty bucket (yes really) to destroy it.

Videos

General Matchup
  • Snake is a well built killing machine, having a large variety of moves that can strike gw's light weight frame down quickly. The up tilt and up air will have no problem killing gw vertically at 80%, the ftilt, nair, bair, dair, and jab combo will also kill pretty quickly.
  • Snake is also built with many projectiles at his disposal. Most notably the grenades and mortars, but the nikita, c4, and proxy mine can have you dodging around the stage more than focusing on snake.
  • Snake has a good amount of range to a lot of his attacks, mainly the ftilt and uptilt, but you will find his aerials and other tilts can be a very large pain to gw, usually matching his own range.
  • Snake's recovery is one of the more interesting one's in the game. It has only a certain amount of super armor when he is rising with his cypher, so only aerials with strong knockback like the fair and key will knock him out. Even with the pseudo super armor, this is where you will find you can hurt snake the most.
  • Other than trying to tossing fast-falling bairs at you when recovering, snake doesn't have a lot of options to gimp you as most of his projectiles are nullified by up b's.
  • Snake is a character with poor movement based combos. You will rarely see him chain multiple moves together across the stage. However, he is good at close combat combos that don't move you anywhere but rack up serious damage. By utilizing the first to jabs, ftilt knee, grab to dthrow he can very quickly rack up the 80 damage he needs to kill you with an up tilt, VERY devastating to gw's survival.
  • Due to snake falling fairly quickly, nair combos, up air combos, and the other usual combos work just fine. Snake also doesn't have a quick aerials to interrupt things

Basic Strategies
  • At all costs, avoid being in close combat with snake unless you are POSITIVE you can get a grab, otherwise it isn't worth it. Because what I mentioned above about his close combat combos, you will find yourself dying quickly if you stay too close. And if you can get a grab to dthrow in, keep in mind that snake's tech roll is one of the longest in the game.
  • Snake is pegged out to have an amazing keep away game, but personally i think its pretty overrated. Grenades are nice, but for the most part are quite easy to avoid. Most snakes fall into the habit of using their mortar slide at a certain distance, so learn to set that distance up and start charging f smashes.
  • Because snake has some projectiles to pressure you, and an amazing close combat game, you need to learn to dominate this middle ground in between the two. You have to be too far for them to mortar slide and too close for tilts or jabs to reach. This is where you have to shine. Learn how to punish with the turtle and dtilt at this range to pressure him. When shielding an ftilt with your back to him you can sh and bair and hit him before he gets his sheild up. Some might use the bacon when in this range, but i feel as though the move is too laggy to bother with.
  • When edgeguarding snake learn how to deal with each type of situation. If he up b's close to the stage, grab him or his cypher and don't throw or hit him and he'll die (can't use his up b again). If he recovers low but too far to grab learn to use your dair spike to send him back down (don't forget to slowfall it). If he recovers mid range, then use a strong fair or a forward b (hammers 4-9 knock him out) to give some damage and send him back out). If he recovers too high then you have two options. You can up air him to make him use a laggy aerial and then punish. Or you can wait for an air dodge out of the up b and then up b yourself to send him back out. All of these tactics should cover whatever he does to recover. If he does need to c4 to recover, go out over him and have a fair waiting for him to potentially kill him.
  • Dtilt will clank with all of snakes attacks, but his tilts are a few frames faster than the dtilt comes out again so either roll away or run away after this happens. I've found that most of your aerials will cancel out snakes if spaced properly. So learn to keep snake in the air if you can, because you can dominate him very easily here.
  • If you land behind him with a key through a mortar (it goes through it) you can usually get your shield up faster than he can ftilt you. Watch out though in case then mix it up and try to grab you. You also need to get good at watching out for when he pulls grenades out and then shields, this also applies for when you bair him. If you have good enough spacing control you can avoid hitting the grenade.
  • Snakes hate the up air as they can't move through the air very fast, very good for getting punishing smashes off.
  • Learn to make good use of your smashes and keep them fresh, because having a snake at 180 percent can be depressing and demoralizing.
  • Do nothing. It works!

Stages
  • Any stage that moves a lot or has recovery hazards are excellent choice. GW has superior movement and recovery in every way so make use of it. Stages like rainbow cruise (lot of moving around and recovering), frigate orpheon (missing ledges, flipping stage), delphino (stage changes, dtilt locks), and norfair (hazards to put him in the air, not a lot of room to mortar slide/grenade, can get under him for pressure nairs) are all good stages for playing against snake.
  • Avoid stages with either low ceilings or incredibly large boundaries. Stages like pictochat, halberd, and hanenbow seem to come in mind. They either can get really low percent kills here or can use the stage to camp or survive well.

Frame Data
  • Neutral B: 2 (after it explodes)
  • Side B: 82
  • Up B: N/A
  • Down B: 29
  • Fsmash: 41
  • Dsmash: 130 (hitbox on frame 2 after contact)
  • Usmash: 11 (snake's body), 29 (earliest mortar shell)
  • Ftilt: 4, *
  • Dtilt: 6
  • Utilt: 6
  • Nair: 10, 28, 46, 61
  • Fair: 23
  • Bair: 7
  • Uair: 10
  • Dair: 6, 23, 40, 57
  • Jab: 3, *, *
  • Dash Attack: 5
  • Standing Grab: 8
  • Dash Grab: 12
  • Pivot Grab: 9

* Variable input times

Neb

Smash Lord
I know this might sound really foolish, but what do you guys think about using chef at mid-range (out of his tilt reach)? Just to clutter his set-ups, cushion approach, and maybe bait?

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Chef is a very very very good move to use against Snake. It restricts the areas in the air he is allowed to enter, meaning you can punish his limited options better as he's coming down from the air.

The only thing you have to be careful about is chef's lag. Snake dashing is very fast and annoying.

EDIT: Adding my reply to SuSa here to save room on the front page.

I added the last part in. I can't count the number of times a G&W player has IMed me asking "How to beat snake? Help please! Everytime i attack their shield I take damage" and I respond with the simple: "Do nothing, I'm serious!"

SuSa

Banned via Administration
If he tech rolls behind you (EG: lands on your left, rolls right) I think it is possible.

Snake has the furthest roll out of the entire cast. ^_^ (from ground/techroll AFAIK)

Ruuku

Smash Lord
This is a very good breakdown, Zac. The only thing I would add is about smashes. Snakes tend to be confident in their ability to tilt out of shield. So charging smashed isn't a bad idea. I got a bunch of broken shields like that.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
If he tech rolls behind you (EG: lands on your left, rolls right) I think it is possible.

Snake has the furthest roll out of the entire cast. ^_^ (from ground/techroll AFAIK)
haha thanks for clearing it up for me :p
even his roll is broken x_x

but i'm not going to risk it anymore lol

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
In this matchup I just randomly walk around and F-smash until I see an opportunity. F-smashing randomly stops him from walking up and tilting you, and mortar sliding.

Oh and don't waste your F-air offstage if you can help it. Judgement more often than not will hit him out of Cypher (and a 9 offstage is almost a guaranteed KO). This is one of the few matchups where Judgement is very useful.

Basically the matchup starts getting a lot better once you manage to get him to the ledge or in the air, but until that happens it's a huge waiting game...Just be glad that he air dodges a lot.

And grab a lot when you can, as this is one of your best options for punishing him while he's grenade camping. And people seem to forget to do this, but it's also helpful to toss back grenades (do it quickly of course before he does the grenade drop glitch). I'm pretty sure that tossing them back at him limits when he can attack.

Anauel

Smash Cadet
One question, if Snake is holding a grenade while falling down and you uair him (as in, hit him with uair's hitbox), does the grenade detonate or does it fly away?

SuSa

This is a very good breakdown, Zac. The only thing I would add is about smashes. Snakes tend to be confident in their ability to tilt out of shield. So charging smashed isn't a bad idea. I got a bunch of broken shields like that.
I see you charging 'dat smash. I know my dair is ****.

Careful charging.

But yeah, I find myself getting hit by charged usmashes a lot... :laugh:

Ruuku

Smash Lord
I see you charging 'dat smash. I know my dair is ****.

Careful charging.

But yeah, I find myself getting hit by charged usmashes a lot... :laugh:
Oh believe me, I know. I remember that one time I was playing against nevershootme (one of the best Snake players in FL) and for some reason he kept on guessing right every time and grabbed me before I released it! :laugh:

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
Im glad i came back to the GW boards to see threads like these. I really like it, later on ill come to post some stuff to discuss aswell

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Morningstar said:
Why do you think Snake vs GaW is in GaW's favor?

Is it because GaW can stay in the air and avoid projectiles? Or is that just the tip of the iceberg? :p
In short:

People think MK vs. Snake is at the advantage for MK? Why? Cause MK can gimp snake easily and rack up a lot of damage by keeping him in the air.

G&W vs. Snake is the same thing, except G&W can't gimp snake as easily. However, G&W's ability to rack up damage is easier because of his multihit aerials.

I believe G&W can control the matchup way better than MK can. G&W has tools to avoid a campy snake's grenades like UpB and uair. G&W can also escape a pressured situation better than MK can.

SuSa

In short:

People think MK vs. Snake is at the advantage for MK? Why? Cause MK can gimp snake easily and rack up a lot of damage by keeping him in the air.

G&W vs. Snake is the same thing, except G&W can't gimp snake as easily. However, G&W's ability to rack up damage is easier because of his multihit aerials.

I believe G&W can control the matchup way better than MK can. G&W has tools to avoid a campy snake's grenades like UpB and uair. G&W can also escape a pressured situation better than MK can.
All of which, no matter how well you space, will blow up a grenade (so long as the Snake is smart). Dealing you and the Snake damage.

Keep in mind it takes 8 aerials (or 8 grenades) and 1 ftilt to place you into KO %'s.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
One key advantage G&W has that I forgot to mention is his uair. it has the amazing ability to toy with snake without the problem of exploding grenades. This opens up a lot of opportunities to do damage with other aerials. I know it doesn't sound that amazing on paper, but trust me. With proper conditioning and spacing, G&W is in complete control.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Bair is a very good spacing tool to pop the snake up in the air. Yes I know the snake has the ability to punish it's landing lag, but that's only if you use it wrong. You first need to condition the snake to use certain attacks that you then counterattack by using bair.

Nair is also the perfect tool for keeping snake suspending the the air. Snake has no answers as he's about to hit the ground. If he airdodges and fastfalls to try and avoid you, it opens a 6frame window to hit with nair. Also, none of his aerials outprioritize nair.

Maybe I just play sucky snakes.

SuSa

We can SDI out of bair into our bair pretty easily. Also if we're playing correctly and we have a grenade just DI into you and it blows up the grenade. Yes, that gets us both in the air. But it at least does damage.

You are correct about nair, but that's only when we are airborne.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Here's a cross-up if Snake likes Grenade shielding.

Just Up-B. Metaknight does this a lot too. And it is definitely possible to space Up-B so that it hits Snake while he's on the ground. This will hit him in such a way that you will be invincible as his grenade explodes.

Neb

Smash Lord
A good way to get that off is through an airdodge, or even shield/spotdodge canceled dashes > upb as mixups.

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
Here are a couple of vids of this weekends grand finals. He always bans battlefield againts me, i just think its a good stage for this matchup. In the end i took him to lylat since its similar. There ways to get around their campiness. The reason my opponent never takes out grenades when he is in the air is because i always upair him and he cant control it as much. Hope these help a bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TgNi6l0S0I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fCHf6mphNA Watch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHZrWit3rHw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyuEHbj1pgw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTERDJlDiM8 watch

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Your G&W is really good. I'm impressed. After all we need more of those around man. =)

Publix

Smash Apprentice
i've got a good tip that i use alot against snake. It is a horribly full hopped fair. it only gets punished by uptilt so don't use it if your above 85. it is not ment to hit but it puts you right above snake for an easy dair incase the spot dodge or try to ftilt. Duffman does something kinda like what i do on :41 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fCHf6mphNA just to give you guys a little bit of an idea. Oh and, Duffman, your G&w is sick to the power of rad against snakes. i Seriously liked it.

Tip#2 For his gernades if you air dodge into them and hold the c-stick towards snake G&W buffers a throw and throws the genade really fast right back at him.

I play redhalberds brother, Mampam, who's snake is supposed to be in the top ten snakes in florida. Incase my post count is making me look dumb

fraudster111

Smash Apprentice
I took that tip of doing nothing. It blew my mind how much that worked. I just stood there and the snake i was playing was jumping around with c4s blowing and tossing grenades and blowing himself up and im just standing there looking at him. lol Then i calmly walk up to him and he's spotdodge spaming, sheilding.... I 2stocked him by doing NOTHING! amazing. I see ppl doing this alot. The grenades dont blow instantly. Know the time it takes for it to blow and stop holding shield waiting for it to blow up GOSH.

cemo

white walker
Guys I'm having trouble with the local Snake what should I do.
I forget his name I think it's Alloy or Alley or something with an A like that.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You don't mean Ally right? Because if it's THAT Ally, then pray to god.

And of course, be a little more specific with your problems.

cemo

white walker
yeah i'm a pretty awful troll.

You don't mean Ally right? Because if it's THAT Ally, then pray to god.

And of course, be a little more specific with your problems.
i haven't played him in months, but when i did, in the matches that i was doing well in, i had trouble actually landing the killing blow, so he survived for way too long. are there any safe ways to actually get the smashes out? :x

other than upsmashes if they airdodge.

:urg:

Mr. Grey

Smash Cadet
I cant understand why he was Dairing so much during the match on snake, everytime I Dair on snake (other then when he takes out the mortar or hes vulnerable in the air) I either get uptilted or get shield grabbed, am I wrong for not Dairing more during this matchup?

DrPain

Smash Cadet
I would save the Dair, because you're going to be straining for kills. If you work REALLY hard, the only hard part about snake is killing him, so keep those Fairs fresh. If you can land kills, it's an even match-up.

Novabound

Smash Apprentice
I would save the Dair, because you're going to be straining for kills. If you work REALLY hard, the only hard part about snake is killing him, so keep those Fairs fresh. If you can land kills, it's an even match-up.
Is your sig a music joke?

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Thought I'd share some information I posted in another thread about "How to approach Snake"

* Count the grenades, then approach with bair. Never approach on the ground with fair (especially at high percents).

* If they are above you, approach with nair or uair. Learn to time uair and cancel it (land on the gorund) into other useful attacks.

* Sometimes running up and shielding works. If they ftilt your shield, it's possible to turn around and bair them. The timing is very tight.

* The less you approach Snake in the overall match, the better off you are. If you approach too much, the snake will learn how to beat your approaches and punish you when they matter most. You don't get many chances to approach, so you can't afford to screw up, not even once.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Sometimes when you run up and shield, you'll get easy powershields this way. That is an opportunity to shieldgrab.

Why would you do turnaround B-air out of shield anyway? Just because you don't want to use F-air that much?

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Why would you do turnaround B-air out of shield anyway? Just because you don't want to use F-air that much?
That's a good question. I simple know bair works for experience. Maybe I've tried Fair and failed, so I stopped using it.

I did some research:
* Bair comes out frame 10.
* Fair comes out frame 10.

However, we know that Bair has a lot more range that Fair. By the time it takes your character to reach Snake with Fair, Bair could have already been there. I'm going to try Fair out-of-shield next chance I get, I'm curous now.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The range difference of B-air and F-air only matters in something like G&W dittos. All I know is that whenever Snake hits my shield with a tilt, I jump out of shield and point an aerial in the direction he attacked from.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
UTDZac's Opinion on Counterpick Stages for Snake

Worst stage to play against Snake on: Halberd. Super low ceiling. Super good camping for snake because of the annoying middle platform (which you can't camp on very well imo). I haven't won a game against a serious snake here in a long time.

Final Destination is typically a bad stage, but not as bad as you might think. It's not hard avoiding all the crap he throws at you and pushing for an approach. You have to be smart, really smart.

Smashville is a decent stage against Snake. You are given a platform that allows you to camp Snake. Your crazy UpB angles make it nearly impossible for Snake to punish you while on this platform. This is where I ran time on DSF's snake, simply but waiting on the platform and forcing him to approach (ok it went to 3 sec, but still).

Frigate is a decent stage against Snake. You just have to play really smart, again. Snake has plenty of tricks and can camp well on the stage flip.

Lylat is a GREAT stage against Snake. You are given plenty of platforms. By playing smart you can force snake into the air. Also, losing track of where C4 / Dsmash are placed is your own fault. Just pay more attention to the Snake on the screen instead of your character.

Delfino is my favorite stage to take Snake, but not for the reasons you are thinking. I like it because I enjoy listening to the music while I camp =D

Brinstar is also an interesting choice counterpick. It's great because it's a small stage and allows you to combo quite well since snake doesn't have very much room to run. It also makes it hard for him to snakedash. Again, you have to be really carefully to not get killed at high percents.

I haven't taken a snake to Rainbow Cruise in a long time. I don't think it's that amazing. Snake can kill G&W ridiculously early (like 50-60%) with his aerials. I may try it again next tournament if a Snake doesn't ban it on me

Top Bottom