• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Rediscussion: Zelda vs Ness

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Matchup Rediscussion: Ness
(back to the matchup directory)

Zelda vs Ness

- What to know about this matchup...

• Ness will space PK Fire outside of Zelda's melee range. Din's fire is too ineffective at the range in which it has to take on Ness, so approaching is the only way around his PK FIre spam. Listen to his voice and cue the powershield!

• When caught in PK Fire, SDI Up! Get out of the **** as quick as possible or he will follow with another attack. If he catches you at higher percents you can escape easier. If he catches you off stage and you don't SDI, he gets a guaranteed spike setup.

• Ness will attempt to camp and zone with spaced Fairs. Approach him carefully - spaced jabs and kicks can rival his camp game. Shield the duration of his Fair and attempt to followup accordingly.

• His Bthrow is a very dangerous kill move at high percents. It will kill Zelda early from the centre of FD, and earlier from the edges; if Ness lingers near the edges when you're at kill percents, expect the throw. If caught by him, attempt to DI into the corners to maximise survival. Other kill moves include his Fsmash, sweetspot bair, spike and uair. His Dtilt can cause tripping to set up into an Fsmash.

• Ness likes to Bair OoS. This is a good utility move for Ness either to rack damage through punishment on his shield or be used to kill. Try not to attack his shield head on or use attacks with big shield push when right up close.

• Place him in awkward recovery positions. Dsmash's trajectory can force him to use his recovery. Simply jump into the head of his PK Thunder recovery to gimp him. You can also aim Din's accurately to attack the head.

- Useful Information...

• Ness' yoyo attacks linger even when charged. If his yoyo is in any shape or form out in battle then it is a hitbox, even when he's charging his Usmash and Dsmash. He can anticipate rolls and spotodges and use the yoyo to punish accordingly.

• His Psi-Magnet special absorb Din's Fire and heal for 2.5 times the damage it gave. This move negates Din's but it doesn't shut it down. You can use Din's Fire to bait responses so long as you ensure it doesn't get absorbed. At medium distance it can be used with some effect.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I still think this matchup is probably 50-50.

Don't use Din's much at all unless he is recovering. You can gimp him easily just by running into his PK Thunder. Does Din's cancel his PK Thunder if aimed carefully?

Ness' best way to kill us would be his Back Throw. It should be fairly difficult for Ness to get in close enough to do that though, and his other reliable kill moves are pretty slow.

Once in the air I am pretty sure ness has no way to get through upsmash... so juggling him should be easy. Our Dsmash should force him to use his not that great recovery and usually result in his death if you can time Din's right or get out there in time.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Does Din's cancel his PK Thunder if aimed carefully?
It does, but you have to have pretty precise aim or not be too far away.... otherwise it'll probably hit him as well and give him his up b back.

His fair is a ***** even for Zelda. It's soooo disjointed.... I don't know if it outranges fsmash, but it's faster, so expect to be shielding it a lot.

He shouldn't be close enough to be dtilting you, but dtilt > bat is a killer combo if you trip or fail to react in time out of hitstun.

Generally, his kill moves are: fsmash, dair spikes (can be a huge problem if you're stuck in a bad recovery position, so be sure to DI really well in this matchup), uair close-ish to the top, and his KILLER BTHROW (at ~130%, there's no hope for you even with godly DI). ><

His fsmash isn't too fast, but he can set it up with other moves. Dtilt > bat, PK Fire > bat.... too lazy to think of more. x.x He can also tech chase with it for the kill.

PK Fire can set up for grabs as well, so make sure to SDI out of it or use Naryu's to intercept him (I usually alternate between the two to keep him guessing). NL seems to work better against Ness than it does vs. Lucas since it'll trap him long enough for you to punish him.

His aerials > ours in general. Don't let him get underneath you, but that goes for pretty much any character, lol.

PKT1 can gimp you if you're not careful.... at the very least, he can use it to harass you when you're far away, and it can get really annoying. At very high percentages, it can kill you, but that shouldn't be happening unless he completely messed up that stock.

Oh, yeah: I think it's pretty much a dead even matchup.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Thge fact that ness's recovery is so punishable and that he'll have trouble KOing you at a reasonable damage without a grab is really nice here.

I personally find Zelda's a B**** to try to grab unless she's going offensive and you are sheild grabbing her. As a result, I find that Ness neither kills nor wracks damage QUITE as effectively as zelda in this matchup.

I'd say it's the opposite of lucas. Wheras lucas was somehwere between even and the slightest advantage to him, if anyone has the advantage here, it's zelda.

sasook

Smash Champion
I'd like to add one move to his list of KO moves: his bair. It feels like his dair, but sideways >.<

Also, his dair can spike at 0%. Just throwing that out there, that things broken.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I'd like to add one move to his list of KO moves: his bair. It feels like his dair, but sideways >.<
True, I forgot about bair; however, most of the Ness players I go against use a lot of bair out of shield, so it's usually too stale to kill until pretty high damage.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Also, his dair can spike at 0%. Just throwing that out there, that things broken.
It can also kill you sideways if sourspotted. This happens mostly in edgeguard situations.

If you're stuck in his PK fire pillar carefully think before using Nayru's love. If Ness reads that he gets a free baseball bat hit in.

Here's the matchup in a nutshell: he has better aerial game and we have better ground game. Both have extremely gimpable recoveries and good killing options. The result: a near-even matchup.

As for general information, watch out for his PK thunder. If he hits you with the tail of it you'll be in hitstun long enough to usually eat PKT2.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Yes, but don't grab with Zelda. It's not worth it. Make sure you're not in the first half of the move because it carries invincibility. Fsmash it.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
If you're stuck in his PK fire pillar carefully think before using Nayru's love. If Ness reads that he gets a free baseball bat hit in.
Don't just take it though, if Ness is trying to use it to set up for a grab, nayru's will rawk him.

Ness's dair should be MUCH more supdued in this matchup because it pretty handlily loses out to Zelda's Usmash or uair . . . he can only really use it to edgeguard, and zelda should be able to farores before he can use it there a lot.

Yes, but don't grab with Zelda. It's not worth it. Make sure you're not in the first half of the move because it carries invincibility. Fsmash it.
or LK it for ****s and giggles.

oh, and, if he desides to Dtilt spam you for whatever reason, hammer Dsmash for great justice.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
. . . he can only really use it to edgeguard, and zelda should be able to farores before he can use it there a lot.
Have you seen the 30+ frames of startup on FW? Half a second is no joke.

But in general, you're right: good DI and being smart about your recovery in general is enough to get around his dair. If you're recovering from down low, though..... there ain't much you can do but hope and pray.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Have you seen the 30+ frames of startup on FW? Half a second is no joke.

But in general, you're right: good DI and being smart about your recovery in general is enough to get around his dair.
That's my point. Not that the dair is WORTHLESS or anything, but Zelda beats it pretty well on the stage. And, off the stage, her recovery is unninterceptible, so she has to be in bad position to get nailed with it.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
Dont grab with Zelda?
That isn't to say, "Don't grab with Zelda."

That's to say, "When you want a counterattack, you can do things to Ness's PKT2. If you are using Zelda, don't grab with Zelda. Fsmash." It's just that much more reliable.

If you shielded a PKT2... you have better options for the most part anyway. Often times, Zelda won't force a ground break because it's easier for Ness to deal with her relatively slow pummel.

0-10% - ftilt -> Usmash
10% - 50% - your most powerful option (bair out of shield, Usmash, maybe even grab for this particular time, whatever)
50% - 70% - Dtilt
70% - 90% - Lightning kick if possible, otherwise dtilt and go from there
90% - 110% - Dsmash if you wanna try to edgeguard, Fsmash/Usmash if you wanna try to kill
110% - onward - Dsmash.

I would only grab his PKT2 early on, and even then that's not always on my mind.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
His fair is a ***** even for Zelda. It's soooo disjointed.... I don't know if it outranges fsmash, but it's faster, so expect to be shielding it a lot.
I believe NL said you can jab fair, but idk how effective that is or from where.

He shouldn't be close enough to be dtilting you, but dtilt > bat is a killer combo if you trip or fail to react in time out of hitstun.
probably not, but i'd much rather grab Zelda then bat her unless shes not at kill percents. slow bat is slow, unlike Lucas version, Ness bat is better for damage not killing.

True, I forgot about bair; however, most of the Ness players I go against use a lot of bair out of shield, so it's usually too stale to kill until pretty high damage.
i think it might vary between Ness'. i tend to save bair more for killing, usually OoS, than for damage purposes. and most of the Ness i played saved Bair for killing or baiting.

or SH Dair lol

i think this matchup is pretty even too.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
You can freakin' lightning kick through his fair if he's going towards you (and the hitbox is on top of him rather than in front).

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
in the circumstance Raph described, wouldn't there be more viable options anyway?

MrEh

Smash Hero
in the circumstance Raph described, wouldn't there be more viable options anyway?
Shielding.

Ness has a beastly Fair. Trying to beat that disjoint with Zelda isn't that much of a good idea. Unless you're in a bizarre position where you could Usmash him or something.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
Viable or not, I was providing an example to show just how much range it loses, because someone mentioned Jab.

And really, if it's telegraphed, you can easily wait it out and bair it, but that's a different scenario.

EDIT: And either I'm really lucky or it's really just something that happens, but I had someone jump at me multiple times with fair and, during the move, I baired, and nearly all of the time I traded with him (factoring in sourspots and sweetspots, with the only difference being my own accuracy).The only time I didn't trade was when he was too far from me, but again, that could've been my own error.

The main point remains though - if he's moving forward with fair, he loses a lot of range.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Shielding.

Ness has a beastly Fair. Trying to beat that disjoint with Zelda isn't that much of a good idea. Unless you're in a bizarre position where you could Usmash him or something.
I'd Utilt in that position . . . better trade

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
You can freakin' lightning kick through his fair if he's going towards you (and the hitbox is on top of him rather than in front).
never thought of that, i normally just move away (peach Fair tactics) or Usmash him if he was high enough since there is a blind spot underneath it.

Has anyone notified the Ness mains?
yes Kat did, i saw his post.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I still think this matchup is probably 50-50.

Don't use Din's much at all unless he is recovering. You can gimp him easily just by running into his PK Thunder. Does Din's cancel his PK Thunder if aimed carefully?
Ness recovers from more than just below the stage, you know? As someone already mentioned, using Din's Fire would probably not be a good idea since you'd have to be precise on aiming and since PKT doesn't exactly go that far out when attempting to recover. If Ness is above stage level, don't even bother with Din's Fire. We'll absorb it anyway.

Ness' best way to kill us would be his Back Throw. It should be fairly difficult for Ness to get in close enough to do that though, and his other reliable kill moves are pretty slow.
Not all his kill moves are slow. He's got enough options to kill Zelda.

Once in the air I am pretty sure Ness has no way to get through upsmash... so juggling him should be easy. Our Dsmash should force him to use his not that great recovery and usually result in his death if you can time Din's right or get out there in time.
Nobody is going to try and attack Zelda from above unless that option is open. I don't understand the rest of what you wrote.

True. That'd be a little to risky to come close to Zelda and attempt to d-tilt her.

Generally, his kill moves are: fsmash, dair spikes (can be a huge problem if you're stuck in a bad recovery position, so be sure to DI really well in this matchup), uair close-ish to the top, and his KILLER BTHROW (at ~130%, there's no hope for you even with godly DI). ><

His fsmash isn't too fast, but he can set it up with other moves. Dtilt > bat, PK Fire > bat.... too lazy to think of more. x.x He can also tech chase with it for the kill.
You'll want to recover in the most unpredictable way. Like us, we can predict where you'll recover. But if you're recovering from above stage level, you might be able to use your fair out of Forore's Wind. Ness' Bat may be slow, but keep in mind it's quicker than Meta Knight's.

PK Fire can set up for grabs as well, so make sure to SDI out of it or use Naryu's to intercept him (I usually alternate between the two to keep him guessing). NL seems to work better against Ness than it does vs. Lucas since it'll trap him long enough for you to punish him.
Nayru's Love does work, but we may jump into our own PK Fire to regain health, so watch out for that.

His aerials > ours in general. Don't let him get underneath you, but that goes for pretty much any character, lol.
You can try to bait us with your fair/bair, though. Of course it leaves you open, it's still a threatening attack.

Oh, yeah: I think it's pretty much a dead even matchup.
That's what I was thinking, too. I do recall doing this match up before.

The fact that Ness's recovery is so punishable and that he'll have trouble KOing you at a reasonable damage without a grab is really nice here.
Actually an attack like bair may trade hits with Zelda's attacks. Her smashes are great, but if that's all she had to do, I don't think she'd have a problem with just about any match up.

I personally find Zelda's a B**** to try to grab unless she's going offensive and you are shield grabbing her. As a result, I find that Ness neither kills nor wracks damage QUITE as effectively as Zelda in this matchup.
Figure a way around it and you won't have that much of a problem. Zelda can rack up a lot of damage, but so can Ness. Sounds like you're jumping into the **** if you're letting that happen.

I want to agree, but can it really? I've had it happen to me more than enough times, but I'd think Ness' fair cuts through it. I'd think that Zelda has to hit below his fair for it to make contact.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I really hate this match up when it's a skilled Ness.

But I love when someone counter picks Ness and they have no idea what they are doing.

I once 3 stocked someone who counter picked my Zelda with Ness.

I took 8% damage.

It was LOL.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Why would anyone in their right mind use NESS as a counterpick?
If that someone mains only Ness and used secondary earlier?

Depends on how Ness spaces it. If he just keeps going forward with it you can hit through it with pretty much anything if your timing is right. If he's moving backwards it's notably harder to beat. This is one of the reasons why Ness players usually space themselves at the very max range of the move and/or start retreating with it before touching the ground.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I use Din's Fire a lot.

They tried to use PSI Magnet a lot.

They lost.

Simple really.
Why would anybody do that? :confused: I can understand if you're far away, but seriously, no point using your PSIM to get close. There are other methods for that. XD

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
Yes, Half-Split. If the Ness does anything with it EXCEPT for moving forward with it, it'll handily beat out whatever Zelda can throw at him except Din's. This isn't a very important point, though.

Uh... watch out for PK Thunder. It's good.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Then your opponent was a moron.
Agreed.

It's one thing to tempt psi magnet with Din's and have that succede once or twice.

but if it KEPT HAPPENING, your foe is either stubborn, an idiot or both.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
A really good Ness can be ****ing scary. Don't underestimate the little boy. :evil:

I think it's funny, though, that this is one of the few matchups where Zelda does better than Pikachu. She's useful for something. (I also do better vs. Diddy with Zelda, but that's another story......)

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Well picking up Zelda as a secondary is only supposed to be useful if you main Sheik:)

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Mmmmmmmm I love little Earthbound boys...................................<_< wait a sec..........

Uffe

Smash Hero
^^^ I hope you're female. :laugh: Yeah, you didn't mean it like that, I'm sure. :p

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Well picking up Zelda as a secondary is only supposed to be useful if you main Sheik:)
I don't agree with this. Zelda can help a couple of characters bowser and DK come to mind immeditaley. See isn't as bad of a character as you make her out to be.

@kaylo i think that type of logic is poor. just for the simple fact that you're getting away from the character and basing things on player exp. Which can be bias at times.

Top Bottom