• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Thread Export: King Dedede

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Matchup Thread Export Directory
:metaknight: :snake: :wario: :falco: :diddy: :dedede: :marth: :olimar: :popo: :toonlink:

KING DEDEDE

DIFFICULTY: EVEN - 55:45

Quick Tips
  • Down-smash after down-throw? NO
  • Bucket anything? DDD's UpB stars (Does 42%, Kills at 20%). Waddle Doo's attack (Does 25%, Kills at 65%).
  • The first half of G&W's UpB will out-prioritize DDD's UpB as he's coming down. It's also possible to upsmash DDD as he is coming down from UpB without getting hit.
  • Do not DI DDD's dthrow up, he can chaingrab you if you do. DI down so you hit the ground sooner than normal and techroll behind him.
  • When DDD sucks you in his mouth, wiggle out fast like you were in a grab but not enough to pop out. Then when he spits you out you won't go as far and can dair him for 19%.

Videos

General Matchup
  • Dedede's strong suits are his ability to camp and play defensively, strength, and his exceptional grab/throw game. Keep these in mind when playing against D3 players.
  • You'll find that ddd has a lot of priority on a lot of his attacks, just not enough in most cases to get through gw's. As a general rule, you will want to avoid challenging his smashes, luckily these moves aren't too fast and are telegraphed. Ftilt, Upair, Dair will usually beat all of your moves and bair can sometimes find its way around your attacks.
  • Most ddd's will find themselves resorting to uptilts, bairs, fairs, upairs, and his other strong attacks at random (smashes, dash attack, gordo) for kills. Most of these aren't too hard to avoid as long as you simply don't put yourself in bad positions or use your better range to your advantage.
  • Edgeguarding ddd is where he hurts the most in this matchup. Almost all of his options for recovering can be foiled by gw. He will usually use his jumps in sneaky ways possibly along with air dodges to get around gw, and if needed he will up b and either cancel it or land on the stage.
  • DDD is not too bad at edgeguarding gw. If they know what they are doing ff'd bairs (sometimes fairs/dairs) will be able to take you off guard. Always remember that up b will go through all of these (maybe not dair sometimes, but that will only knock you up or just knick you, allowing another up b and him in a bad situation). Also be weary of the occasional gordo that might be tossed out.
  • D3's combos are usually derived from his grab game. A grab, hit, dthrow to tech chase can rack up a lot of damage. Back airs can sometimes be chained together along with some of his other aerials.
  • GW's combos, per usual, are found in the air. Up air and nair both destroy ddd's chances in the air exceptionally well. The only option they have when above gw is to dair, which increases their falling speed and has a pretty good amount of priority. Dthrow works alright because of his size, but his large tech roll length and buffer roll speed/range make it hard to techchase him. Use up throws to start combos and pester him.

Basic Strategies
  • DDD players will make good use of his defensive attributes. His spot dodge and roll both have excellent amounts of invincibility frames compared to the lag, making it hard to punish ddd. If you find the ddd player doing this alot, make use of gw's multi hit attacks, turtle and nair work pretty well. Also fsmashes have a lot of frames where a hitbox is out, this can work on occasion too.
  • Another form of camping that you will see is waddle throwing. This will probably be used in conjunction with his roll i-frames to make for an annoying strategy that works well against most character w/o a projectile (gw's projectile will probably be nullified in this situation). However, if they leave a waddle doo out, you can bucket his laser beam for a decent kill attack. Also in general, gw's air movement is pretty good, so when used with smart shielding, it probably wouldn't be too hard to get next to ddd.
  • DDD has an excessively long/quick grab that will get annoying pretty quick. Not only can he grab you out of most of your aerials (save the turtle when spaced well), he can rack up a lot of damage with tech chasing. Using your up b to escape the ground and put gw in his element is a good idea in this situation, and will give you time to collect yourself. Also note, that if the techchasing isn't working well for ddd, they will resort to back throwing (16% when fresh, which will hurt after a while).
  • When ddd camps with dodges, make sure your spacing is very tight or else you will get grabbed. Even landing behind ddd with say a nair, there isn't enough shield stun to avoid him turning around and grabbing, as his grab is very quick. Also ddd will use the ftilt to combat the turtle, it works, especially if you sh your turtle. Luckily the move doesn't do a lot of knock back/is kinda slow/doesn't do too much dmg. Thus it isn't too hard to either full hop your turtles, just just feign an aerial and air dodge to grab.
  • When edgeguarding ddd, you have a lot of options, and this is likely where you will rack up most of your damage/kills. The best thing he can do is simply jump to the ledge and do his best to get from the ledge to the middle of the stage. However, since his up b is quite slow, you can always predict the path he will take if he does this. A simple fair will either force him to dodge or get knocked further out and he will then likely have to up b. This will cause them to try and use aerials near the ledge to swat you away next time. If you see this happening, just sit by the ledge and dtilt, it goes through all of his aerials.
    Now we get to when he starts up-b'ing. If you up b into ddd at any point on his way down, it will always knock him back out, assuming your facing off the stage. Nair will also work, into an up b. This process can be rinsed and repeated. Their only other option is to cancel the up b and go for the ledge or fake you out. As long as you keep an open eye for this, you can punish ddd hard and hog him. Just remember to keep the edgeguarding simple: take his jumps away through aerials, sausage (works well to make clutter), and dtilts. After this just sit near the edge and up b or hog, simple as that.
  • When you have ddd in the air abuse your up air. If they air dodge, make sure you nair them out of it (his large size will make this easy). If they decide to dair, try to get to where you think the move will stop and punish there or land on the ground next to him, easy to punish with a fsmash or upsmash if your spacing is right.
  • When recovering as gw, make sure you are tossing out fairs to take out his bair attempts, or simply up b into the bairs to knock him away and grab the ledge. You shouldn't be getting gimped to much by ddd, although it is possible so keep it in mind.
  • DDD kills with uptilt alot, learn its range. Gw really shouldn't be putting himself in this range if he is playing right. Only dair when you know it will hit (im pretty sure dair goes through the up tilt, but trades more often that would be safe to use it), so don't be attacking his shield with it, that will get you grabbed at the very least, if not uptilted. Never challenge any of his smashes (that includes dair v his upsmash), and always be weary of the bair.

Stages
  • Counterpick rainbow, frigate, corneria (i wouldn't personally but it could work), jungle japes
  • Ban norfair, halberd, maybe a neutral.

Frame Data
  • Neutral B: N/A
  • Side B: N/A
  • Up B: N/A
  • Down B: N/A
  • Fsmash: 43
  • Dsmash: 14
  • Usmash: 20
  • Ftilt: 12
  • Dtilt: 7
  • Utilt: 12
  • Nair: 7
  • Fair: 16
  • Bair: 6
  • Uair: 10
  • Dair: 8
  • Jab: N/A
  • Dash Attack: 26
  • Standing Grab: 6
  • Dash Grab: 9
  • Pivot Grab: 7

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Pah, this matchup is easy. 6/4 G&W at least.

DDD can't do crap if you spam Chef. This kills his Waddle Dee camping and every "approach" he has. Chef (not to mention Bucket Braking!) is the reason why you should go FD against him. Once he's offstage, space Chef so that the Bacon just manages to reach over the edge. This will completely **** him.

He can grab you out of B-air...if you're not clever how to space it. Keep in mind fullhopped aerials hit him very easily since he's so tall, and this is really good for B-air since this will likely poke him.

LeePuff says lrn2Powershield. PSing a predicted B-air is a free F-smash.

And then don't do stupid things like falling into his D-air/U-air/F-smash and you should win this matchup pretty solidly. I beat Mikehaze's DDD pretty convincingly (friendlies I admit). Like DDD should only win if he gets a lot of random Gordos or manages to catch you in a Waddle Doo -> F-smash combo (Bucket that ****. It's win since it gets you a new KO move, and also he almost never can hit you out of your invul frames).

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I was thinking about whether to put this matchup at EASY - 60:40 or EVEN - 50:50. I decided to go with something in between.

I'm not convinced this matchup is easy for G&W. Well it is if you are playing against a DDD that has no G&W experience. But for a DDD that knows what he's doing, this matchup is nothing to laugh at. I've had the pleasure of playing against Lain's DDD and the way he works his character amazes me. I felt the same way watching Atomsk vs LeePuff. DDD has more options than you think.

Oh and whoops at leaving off waddle doos from the bucket list.

EDIT: @BelowPost: G&W outcamps most/all characters.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I only see this matchup being hard if you somehow can't pressure (or mindgame) DDD to the edge. DDD pretty much doesn't have a single good option against Chef camping (none of his attacks protects him from it, and powershielding it consistently is something that pretty much doesn't happen).

I will go so far to say that G&W OUTCAMPS DDD.

Mikehaze's DDD gets a lot of good rep in my area, keep in mind.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I like how you guys have more frame data on our character than we do.'

Also, Corneria is banned so you should take it off the CP list.

Anauel

Smash Cadet
I like how you guys have more frame data on our character than we do.'

Also, Corneria is banned so you should take it off the CP list.
It depends on where you're playing. It's not banned in some places.

Top Bottom