• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Thread Export: Wario

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Matchup Thread Export Directory
:metaknight: :snake: :wario: :falco: :diddy: :dedede: :marth: :olimar: :popo: :toonlink:

WARIO

DIFFICULTY: EVEN - 50:50

Quick Tips
  • Down-smash after down-throw? NO (yes only if they used getup attack)
  • Bucket anything? NO
  • If you manage to get Wario in a grab release (his feet dangle over a ledge) then you can follow up with: fsmash(kills at 74% on FD), dsmash (slightly charged), dair spike (guaranteed but difficult), or even judgment.
  • Wario has so much air mobility that he can weave around your bair and punish you. Spam nair walls to win this match.
  • If Wario tries to use a fully charged fart on you and you UpB at the same time, Wario will get sent flying past the ceiling and die even at 0%. Uair also works.

Videos
  • N/A

General Matchup
  • Wario's biggest asset is his incredible air speed/movement coupled with a good short hop. This allows him to move back and fourth through the air simliar to jigglypuff in melee to either bait attacks or to slip in through openings quickly to stike the opponent or land a grab.
  • Despite his famous characteristic of being fat, wario has quite a bit of speed to his attacks. His aerials in general are all very fast and can start some very devastating combos.
  • Wario doesn't have very much range on his moves, or too much priority, thus gw will almost always beat him in that department.
  • Wario has a pretty good assortment of reliable, stong, and fast kill moves. First off, the fart. It can be either half charged or full charged for effective use. When full charged it does something like 40 damage with pretty decent knockback (110 seconds (slightly less than 2 minutes)) and when half charged it does less damage but quite a bit more knockback that can kill really early (55 seconds (bit less than a minute)). His other kill moves are his up air (very strong when fresh), and his forward smash (this move has SA frames, so watch out).
  • Wario's recovery is very interesting to say the least. He has the bike, bike jump, double jump, up b, and even farts to recover. This allows him to change his recovery path almost every time he comes back to make him hard to edgeguard.
  • Wario's edgeguarding usually consists of fairs off the stage for gimps on some characters, but it is likely that unless he suicide bites you, you won't be getting edgeguarded.
  • Wario's combos are usually combinations of nairs, dairs, bites, boosted upsmashes, up airs, sometimes fairs, and farts/fsmashes for finishers. Become familiar with the ranges on the moves and the proper way to di out of these attacks to minimize the damage you take.
  • Gw's combos will probably be simliar to other characters, except take note that up air combos will be minimized because he can move through the air faster than you, thus escaping the upair chains.

Basic Strategies
  • Edgeguarding is best done by trying to fair to interrupt key moves. If you see him get on his bike and he's near you (probably a mistake on the wario's part) make sure to keep a fair out directly above him for when he jumps. Also, take note that wario cannot auto sweetspot the ledge, so make sure you either dsmash or dtilt to hit him out if they miss.
  • Make sure that when you approach with aerials, you keep your max range up. It isn't as precise as needed for marth or metaknight, but you need to avoid getting bitten or fsmashed from his SA.
  • Watch out for wario's amazing sheild pressure game. It is very possible (especially since gw's grab isn't very long) for them to dair on your shield and then back off too far for you to grab. If you find that wario is pressuring your shield too much, make good use of your up b out of shield before he gets to you to relocate.
  • Wario players will usually admit that his range is his worst asset, thus this needs to be abused to full capacity. Approach with good spacing while he's in the air and you will beat him often.
  • Going for the kill can be quite difficult to do since he can move so fluently in the air. If you think you can get away with it, randomly smashing at times you normally wouldn't could certainly score a kill now and again. Be sure not to spam your smashes when its time to kill, he will punish you hard for this and rack up damage quickly. Up smash does particularly well because wario doesn't have any excessive range to punish you with.
  • When grabbing make sure to mix it up between upward throws and dthrows. Wario isn't particularly easy to tech chase, however he also is hard to chase in the air with up throw to up air, so use both and see which gives better results.
  • When he dthrows, make sure that you vary your pattern frequently. They usually expect you to roll into, shield, or to spot dodge. I think rolling away and up b are much safer options, just make sure to mix it up enough.
  • Watch out for the boosted upsmash. Wario can cover a lot of ground very quickly with this, so it can throw anyone off. This move and the dair can be smash di'd out of try to make use of that.

Stages
  • Moving stages and stages with missing ledges work wonders as usual. Rainbow cruise, frigate, etc work well.
  • Wario works pretty well on neutrals, stages with low ceilings could work against you like corneria, up to you and your comfort level on that stage.

Frame Data
  • Neutral B: 8-73
  • Side B: 20
  • Up B: 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28
  • Down B: 16 (0-17 seconds), 10 (17-57 seconds), 5 (57-110 seconds), 9 (full charge, super armor from 5-10)
  • Fsmash: 9 (super armor from 8-11)
  • Dsmash: 8 (behind)
  • Usmash: 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21
  • Ftilt: 14
  • Dtilt: 5
  • Utilt: 12
  • Nair: 4, 15
  • Fair: 5
  • Bair: 9
  • Uair: 8
  • Dair: 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21
  • Jab: 8, 17
  • Dash Attack: 4
  • Standing Grab: 6
  • Dash Grab: 10
  • Pivot Grab: 8

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
A major focus in this matchup is walling him. D-tilt, Up-smash, and Up-B are able to counterattack at every angle that wario can come in from, so obviously, smart use of those moves helps a lot.

And then you want to Jab and D-tilt to interrupt his grabs that he likes getting too.

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
Not really necessary but wario's dsmashs hit box comes out behind him first
Also if the wario may be quite nervous when you grab him and smashes the wrong buttons you may get a grab release in for a free fsmash if they are high percent or you can jump and try getting a nine

Rajam

Smash Champion
Wario works pretty well on neutrals, stages with low ceilings could work against you like corneria, up to you and your comfort level on that stage.

I don´t know about that sentence in bold, game and watch has usmash and dsmash which KO upwards, and with a low ceiling Wario must be really careful when using fart

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Low ceilings imo are the way to go against Wario. Wario prides a bit on survivability, so limiting that is in fact a priority.

Wario doesn't KO vertically very easily either without landing a fresh U-air, which you'll be watching out for naturally.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Yeah, low ceilings are better than high ceilings vs us, most of our best killers are horizontal (waft, fsmash, ftilt), whereas you have upsmash and dsmash and key (most likely the things you'll kill us with). You lose the chance to survive otherwise lethal wafts (I'm looking at YOU, Zac >: (), but you also don't have to put up with him living into the 170s, most likely.

Also, Wario can sweetspot the ledge with his up b during particular frames, just thought I'd correct that. Otherwise, it's sexy as usual.

Splice

Smash Hero
Is it really 50:50?

I would have thought we would have an advantage? Is it his survivability? I thought we beat Wario on air and ground.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
I love using Ftilt here. if he's stupidly using his bike to try to get directly on the stage from off of it ( without jumping off and upbing like most people do ) than you can ftilt and ffall fair him. Than jump up and hog the ledge. I'm pretty sure that it works. It's also great for stopping his SHLD aerials and his approaches.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Is it really 50:50?

I would have thought we would have an advantage? Is it his survivability? I thought we beat Wario on air and ground.
We beat him there as long as you manage to keep an attack in the right position. That can be easier said than done when he has the best mobility in the game.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
D-tilt and F-smash usually do the job better. Just saying.

F-tilt would be better if it had its crazy duration from Melee.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
Yeah, but I think that Ftilt does better for interupting his aerials. But down tilt is better in most situations, and fsmash does way more damage, so yeah. I just love ffallfairing wario after an ftilt of the edge and ftilting him in his face when he doesn't space his aerials right.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I think the matchup could swing either direction 5 points, maybe a little more for specific stages. This, aside from character dittos, is one of the most even matchups I can really think of.

Novabound

Smash Apprentice
I like to keep ftilt fresh since to either side, it'll kill at 140, and they'll never see it coming. Though I will give your idea a try as an edgeguard tool.

Vinnie

Smash Master
I think the matchup could swing either direction 5 points, maybe a little more for specific stages. This, aside from character dittos, is one of the most even matchups I can really think of.
Character dittos are like 6:4 for whoever has port advantage :p LOL

Imo 4:6 on fd, everywhere else 55:45 (neutralwise).

Splice

Smash Hero
Zac you told that guy to post in this thread but like... This thread is not even visible on the front page anymore, I can't find the other export threads lol, for some reason there is no page 2 of the GaW boards for me =/

I think someone needs to bump all the export threads. I would, but I can't find any of them. There is probably a sticky I haven't checked that has links to all of them but still...

Don't infract me.

_OraNoS_

Smash Ace
1.) The character images like the ":gw:" picture should all link to their respective matchup threads :)

See:
:metaknight: :snake: :wario: :falco: :diddy: :dedede: :marth: :olimar: :popo: :toonlink:

2.) You should be able to adjust how far back you are allowed to view threads, by going to the main forum you have an issue and going to the "showing threads" area (near active members & moderators listing, toward the bottom) and choosing "From the beginning" in the Display Options section :)

[Thumbnail (click it) below]

Zekeishere

Smash Ace
A2ZOMG got it pretty well. Aside from the Fart, Wario has NO attack that beats U smash. And if he tries to fart you can Up B him.

Also, unless Wario techs it, you can D throw -> U tilt -> U tilt and so on. -> Nair -> Nair -> Up B or predict the Air dodge and U smash. Or Up B Nair.

At very low %s of course.
Yeah. :k

Splice

Smash Hero
1.) The character images like the ":gw:" picture should all link to their respective matchup threads :)

See:
I knew that, it's just I think for new people wanting to post info, they are probably going to see there is no Wario export and there would be no reason for them to click on the Diddy thread then would it? It's still possible to post here, but awkward, and you have to know about the image links which people like Zeke probably wouldn't know about or assume.

2.) You should be able to adjust how far back you are allowed to view threads, by going to the main forum you have an issue and going to the "showing threads" area (near active members & moderators listing, toward the bottom) and choosing "From the beginning" in the Display Options section :)

[Thumbnail (click it) below]

Didn't know about this though. I knew I used to be able to see further back. Thanks.
Still, my point stands.

I wish we had more to say about all these MU's... IS OUR METAGAME REALLY THAT EXHAUSTED!!!???

izzy24

Smash Ace
btw, does gaw have a grab release combo on wario....... i ask this cause my friend found that marth can grab release gaw to fair :( and i want to do it to some else atleast

Never Emperor

Smash Cadet
This match up is so hard I always get farted on.:( I guess Nair works well in the air. Dtilt is always a crazy option too.

Rajam

Smash Champion
Not really necessary but wario's dsmashs hit box comes out behind him first
Also if the wario may be quite nervous when you grab him and smashes the wrong buttons you may get a grab release in for a free fsmash if they are high percent or you can jump and try getting a nine
? Which buttons should a Wario smash to do no get air(grab) released?

Top Bottom