• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up Smash Is Ghey.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
Sweetspot Upsmashes by Dropping Shield and doing Dash + Usmash

NOT powershielded unless otherwise noted, just NORMALLY shielded having your shield PUSHED. These can work most of the time but you have to judge for yourself if you're too far away to try to usmash. Use your eyes man since spacing can change things so these are not 100% all the time. It's more like 100% all the time if you're close enough. Sometimes you kinda...aren't. And these all should work for sure if you powershield. :]

so yea...if you powershield all of these should work for sure and there's more possibilities and more things work such as mario's fsmash.

Don't take my word as law and question this and test it yourselves. It's important to use your own heads so we can get accurate results and make our character better so I'm asking you to doubt me here.

A lot of this may be known already but I guess I'm trying to help out just a little bit and I have some big tourneys coming up so I'm doing this mostly for me so there. :p

Bowser: Nothing, well...Down B but that's what we always do to him lol...
Captain Falcon: Falcon Punch, Falcon kick (kinda hard sometimes though coz it travels, might have to powershield), Fsmash, Non-autocancelled Knee, someone test dsmash but i'm pretty sure it doesn't work but yea...test plz.
Diddy Kong: Usmash, the cpu wouldn't use dsmash at all but test it b/c dsmash has a ton of ending lag. ;o
Donkey Kong: Side B, Powershield Fsmash/Dsmash/Donkey Punch
Falco: Usmash, Fair lag (lol...), Powershielded Dsmash
Fox: Usmash, Powershielded Dsmash (maybe Fsmash, sum1 test it)
Ganondorf: sh fair, fsmash sometimes powershield fsmash for sure, Powershield dsmash, powershield murder kick, powershield **** punch
Ice Climbers: Squall, Fsmash, Usmash, Dsmash (might kill only nana b/c her shield always comes up after popo's)
Ike: Uncharged eruption if you don't get pushed too far, Utilt, Side b, 3rd hit of jab, Fair and Nair and Dair if they space horribly and sometimes you just drop shield and hit your c stick w/ no dash.
Jigglypuff: Aerial Pound, Grounded Pound, Usmash, Rest, Fsmash, Dsmash
King Dedede: Powershield Jet Hammer, Powershield Usmash, Powershield Dsmash, Powershield Fsmash, Powershield a waddle if their dumb enough to do it that close to you you can usmash the ending lag.
Kirby: Gotta be lucky to land it on Fsmash w/o powershielding but the spacing is there sometimes I guess, Aerial Hammer, Powershielded Usmash, Powershielded Grounded Hammer
Link: Whiffed grab, up b, powershield 2nd hit fsmash (w/o powershield you get pushed too far, I wanna say Usmash but it's kinda hard to avoid getting smacked by the last two hits.
Lucario: At high percent his fsmash and dsmash push you too much.
Lucas: Fsmash, Usmash
Luigi: Maybe Powershield Dsmash but I really doubt this tbh, Poorly spaced nado
Mario: Fair, Powershield Fsmash
Marth: Shield Breaker (lol...), Dancing Blade Up
Metaknight: Nothing because he's MK, best I could do was landing a sourspot on his powershielded usmash xD
Mr. Game and Watch: Nothing
Ness: Usmash, Dsmash, Powershield fsmash
Olimar: None that I can see...someone test powershield dsmash though but I doubt it really works.
Pikachu: ^same as Olimar.
Pit: Nothing. You can try on his dsmash or usmash if you don't expect him to shield or jab or sidestep immediately but yea...nothing consistant at all.
Squirtle: Usmash, fsmash
Ivysaur: Sh Fair, Powershield fsmash, dsmash, and usmash.
Charizard: fsmash, dsmash, rock smash
R.O.B.: Nothing, maybe powershielded stuff but he has so little ending lag and that spotdodge...
Samus: Whiffed grab (well ofc u don't shield these but still Mikey mentioned it :O), Dsmash (more likely than not it'll push you outta range though), Fsmash and Dtilt must be powershielded though
Zero Suit Samus: ?????? I can't get her in practice mode lolol but i'm sure u can do it to Whiffed grab, dair, down b attack, and fsmash but idk coz you can't get her in practice mode, sum1 check.
Snake: Last hit of jab combo, Utilt close range
Sonic: Nothing, we're too slooooooow~.
Toon Link: 2nd hit Fsmash
Wario: Dsmash, Fsmash
Wolf: Fsmash
Yoshi: Dsmash, Powershield Usmash and Fsmash
Zelda: Utilt, Maybe usmash but someone else test this but I think it works b/c it zelda can't do **** afterwards.
Sheik: Usmash, Dsmash, Dair, Fsmash (if ur rly close to them)
Peach: It's so dumb testing this on lvl 9 peach someone help me XD i'm pretty sure we all space too well to let this happen to us anyway but still. ;O

as you can see I didn't do it all but I have a fair idea of what works and what doesn't for the stuff I left blank. I'll test more characters later.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Wait, whut?

Have an aerial push you in your shield, then drop shield -> dash -> usmash?

Mikey Lenetia

Smash Champion
NNID
MikeyLenetia
Lesse... For Zelda, if she hits your shield with fair/bair, she gets locked in that position, so it might be possible to usmash her because of that. Try her up B, too, as well as Nayru's. Don't think there's enough time for Din's.

For Sheik, I don't THINK we have enough time to usmash, since she has two hits and I think it can immediately go into an ftilt.

Ike... Depends on where he is from fair, bair maybe? Nair autocancels, dair might work, fsmash, maybe dsmash and utilt? And experiment with the last hit of jab, since it's such a BIG part of their game(the whole thing, I mean).

Samus... maybe fair, maybe dair, maybe utilt, down B might work, too. Oh, and then there's her grab. ^_^;

ZSS... if she misses a grab, maybe usmash and fsmash? The hit from her down B(the kick) might be able to be, too. Dair leaves her crumpled next to you, so not sure, and maybe nair on the rise?

These are only speculation, but I think they all have good possibilities from my own experience playing as or against them.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
This works, I was testing with a friend last night after you AIM'd me. If Fox/Falco usmash your shield, it's a guaranteed shield drop/dash/usmash. 0_o

Also, if Snake utilts your shield at close range you get an usmash too. :o

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
Oh, good to know about the utilt.

I'll do Jigz later, and I just don't wanna do Falcon yet b/c I see no reason why we should **** him any harder ;D. jk, i just haven't done him yet so i'll finish that up too.

edit: I like how I worked the thread title so people lurking other boards looking for interesting threads wouldn't see "Guaranteed Up Smashes" and look up their character here lol. Ignorance is power (our power :) )

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
^We've been finding a LOT of them lately now that we are focusing on this issue. Check out the how to land an upsmash thread to get upsmashes against any aerial with lag longer than 14 frames if it's not spaced properly.

This stuff is AWESOME. I'm going to incorporate all these new upsmash techniques into my game, and hopefully take my Peach up a notch.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
So this really works? That's ****ing brilliant. Finding a way to get a guaranteed kill at 100% when you normally don't kill until 150%+ is nothing short of amazing. I've gotta try this the next time I play.

Bitter Romantic

Smash Journeyman
Southern California [Anaheim/Fullerton, San Diego]
For Zelda, it'd have to be the sourspotted fair/bair, if sweetspotted, it's one of the few moves with notable shield lag so I'm not sure if you'd be able to get her in time. For the sourspot, I totally see that working, but needs testing [can't at the moment].
For her up-b, can't we just upsmash where she's going to pop up and kill her through that? I remember doing it and outprioritizing her up-b's reappearance [or was it trading hits], but I think that we can get one off after her up-b as well.

For ZSS, I'd really suggest testing the down-b, as it has invinc. frames and I don't know if the attack would trade hits/go through, etc. I'm pretty sure you can get her after a shielded/p.shielded utilt though since it has notable ending lag [needs testing].

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
yea, really. just do it yourself, it's not like some new AT where you're gonna have trouble visualizing what's going on.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
i lack recording equipment + another person to help me. someone else do it, and really, a video isn't even necessary, just play brawl and test stuff. @_@

edit: put in Jigz and CF. well...my part is finished, now go test and fix stuff or make this have a pretty format or merge w/ meno's thread or something, idk.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
well...my part is finished, now go test and fix stuff or make this have a pretty format or merge w/ meno's thread or something, idk.
I'll merge this once we gather all the right info if you want.

Is it just me, or does this sound like it shouldn't work? >____>

Not that I've tested it, but I can imagine hotgarbage coming in here sometime soon and saying "Oh, this is totally escapable since the shield-drop-hit-lag-frames don't equal the charging duration since the usmash hitbox doesn't come out until the 40th frame after the c-stick is double-reversed from the advantage of the stun."

Or something like that.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Meno:

Shield drop is 7 frames and upsmash hits on the 14th frame. That's only 21 frames. I imagine running at them takes no more than 10 frames, so it probably works on any attack with around 31 frames of lag or more. This is roughly half a second since the game runs at 60 FPS (Correct me If I'm wrong there)

If you could calculate how many frames it takes her for dash to get in range of somebody attacking her shield from a moderate distance, you could theoretically use the frame data to find out everybody this works on and exactly every move it works on. It sounds like a project to me. I think this project, coupled with the "what moves can you punish with upsmash out of shield" are both frame data projects that we could work on to significantly improve Peach's killing ability and her placing on the tier list. The project would require

1) Find some way to find out how many frames it would take to dash at someone using move X
2)Know the # of frames of lag move X has after it hits your shield

Part 1 is really hard to do and I don't know if it's possible to be all too accurate about it. But Part 2 is really easy and on all the character boards.

Just imagine if we completed a list of "Aerials you can definitely punish with upsmash out of shield" and a list of "ground attacks you can definitely punish with shield drop to running upsmash" A list like this, if substantially sizable, would make Peach so much better by itself. I'm not exagerating when I say I feel like I could beat any player on this planet if Peach could get gauranteed kills at 90-120% on anybody.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
aaaaand I've done some of these at a small tourney the other day so I know these more or less work.

kinda hope we find something on MK and Gdubz though. >.<

yo, how about you guys w/ friends or other people to help you test this with everyone's normal get up attacks. we know that getup attacks shielded from the ledge can be owned by usmash but what I mean is getup attacks when your opponent is on the ground b/c of a missed tech or snake dthrow lol.

and...as the start of "aerials you can punish w/ usmash", falco's nair if you can get under him for sure if they just randomly through that out there.

really, lets make our character better. there's only so much I can do vs a cpu. help out, gogoogogoggo.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
can someone please please do Zss and Peach for me. I don't have smashers or siblings that can help me out w/ it and a completed list would def be cool y'kno coz it's uuuuh, complete? yea? ;o

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
Buuuuuuuuuuump because I need someone to test something REALLY important that I can't test myself. It just occurred to me that I completely forgot about this move.

Test to see if we can do this to the 3rd hit of MK's Ftilt. F`ck that ******. =(

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I'm pretty sure you can't, it doesn't have that much lag...he appears to be frozen but I think he has IASA frames. Still worth a test though. I WONDER though..can you shield a glide attack and even if he goes behind you can you run back and upsmash?

gregWHO

Smash Cadet
This might sound stupid... but if we're holding a turnip, would the glidetoss down/up to upsmash have less frames to it? If it does, turnips mindgames ftw. And if not... then at least it could compensate for the distance? *goes to test*

Top Bottom