• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Thread Export: Ice Climbers

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Matchup Thread Export Directory
:metaknight: :snake: :wario: :falco: :diddy: :dedede: :marth: :olimar: :popo: :toonlink:

ICE CLIMBERS

DIFFICULTY: EASY - 60:40

Quick Tips
  • Down-smash after down-throw? YES
  • Bucket anything? Blizzard (Does 18%, Kills somewhere over 100%).
  • UpB works great to separate the ICs because Nana has bad DI. Abuse this and fair her out of UpB.
  • ICs uair and utilt outprioritize G&W's key.
  • If you have the choice between attacking Popo or attacking Nana, ALWAYS choose Nana.

Videos
  • N/A

General Matchup
  • Ice climbers are the best in the game at punishment. One grab given the right conditions takes a stock from gw, i don't think any other character in the game can claim that. Overall though, they have decent strength, good keep away game/range, and aren't particularly slow either.
  • Ice climbers actually have a lot of awkward priority in some places. Their up air will go through your key, uptilt does as well. Of course their blizzard will go through just about everything, and bucketing this doesn't usually produce good results (very weak).
  • IC's main methods to kill are almost always through grabs. All of their smashes from grabs will produce good results for them at high percent, more notably the upsmash, these are of course, inescapable, if the player knows what they are doing. Other than that, bair and up air can be surprisingly strong if the moves are kept fresh.
  • Ice climbers will try to avoid recovering with the belay (up b) if at all possible. Mainly because an edgehog can kill nana easily, and if not, then it leaves them vulnerable on the stage for a fair at the least. They will likely make use of the squall, which has very nice priority, and can cover amazing distances. Im sure that a fair/key will be able to go through this, so try to predict where they are headed with these moves and make the most out of it.
  • Ice climbers' edgeguarding will probably be very different from icy to icy player. They are capable of stalling nana under the stage, although i imagine that this isn't a great idea against gw given the priority of his up b. Ice blocks or bairs will probably be used often against gw, which shouldn't be too hard to work around. Given that they perform poorly off the stage (its risky), they won't be too much of a hassle.
  • Combo'ing the ice climbers is... interesting. Grabs are usually always a bad idea, gw's throws aren't nearly fast enough to surprise them, so avoid doing that. Combo's here are probably not going to be that common, nair combo'ing can work, however watch out for the dair.

Basic Strategies
  • When applying pressure on their shield, watch out for them powershielding and then grabbing you, if they do running shield, this is possible. Also, out of a shielded bair, and squall could certainly punish you.
  • I wouldn't really attempt to bucket their blizzards, particularly if they are desynched. This will likely get you grabbed, and even if you do get a full bucket unscathed, its very weak and hardly worth your trouble. Blizzards can make approaching difficult, particularly if you are used to bairs to approach as that will certainly go through it. Work on keeping ranged pressure on them to avoid desynched situations like that.
  • Other than squalls, blizzards, and possibly desynched smashes, their approach game is pretty linear. Mainly they will play defensively looking for grabs, but if you play your range right you can prevent this for sure.
  • This matchup isn't very interesting by any means, you will mostly have to put a lot of pressure on the icies while on the ground with bairs, and in the air with up airs. Look for opportunities to gimp them with offstage pressure, and dsmashes are sure to separate/kill them easily given the different hitboxes, range and speed.
  • Don't get grabbed. Seriously, whatever you do, focus on not getting grabbed.

Stages
  • Brinstar is usually a great choice. Beware of the low ceiling and ICs UpB that can kill you early off the top.
  • Your going to want to go with stages that have a lot of platforms and ones that could ruin their recovery. RC comes to mind first, maybe even lylat.
  • Probably want to avoid fd, open stages like that.

Frame Data
  • Neutral B: 17
  • Side B: 9 (both ICs) or 12 (single IC)
  • Up B: N/A (nana has invinc frames)
  • Down B: 16
  • Fsmash: 12
  • Dsmash: 9 (back), 14 (front)
  • Usmash: 13
  • Ftilt: 9
  • Dtilt: 8
  • Utilt: 8, 11, 14, 17, 20, 23
  • Nair: 6
  • Fair: 19
  • Bair: 8
  • Uair: 6
  • Dair: 9
  • Jab: 4
  • Dash Attack: 11
  • Standing Grab: 7
  • Dash Grab: 9
  • Pivot Grab: 9

Splice

Smash Hero
I like Rainbow Cruise and Norfair for CPs.

Yoshis Island as a Neutral to hide on the platform and drop down Bairs.
I Spam Bair so much in this MU.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I once beat Hylians ICs without using bair at all. We were bored and I told him "I bet I can beat your ICs without using my bair once." It was probably the hardest thing I've ever done. As a G&W main, my mind always goes back to the safe option of just spamming bair on shield to pressure them, but I couldn't. That and it was really really hard to separate the ICs pair without bair.

You should try it out sometime, not using bair when playing against ICs. It's kinda fun actually.

I think the only reason I won my game against Hylian's ICs was because my last kill was a Judgment at 30%. Whoops

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
I had Hylian down to the last match last hit percent and i fell into a single climber hylian upsmash lol. intense match. Learn a lot from it. up airs are good to refresh those bairs. Its a must

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I have yet to lose to a GW in tournament with IC's since I started maining them again, and this includes Leepuff.

You're next Zac :p. To be fair when you were ****** me it was the first week I was playing IC's again haha.

Though this match-up is super hard :(.

DireVulcan

Smash Lord
Matchup is indeed easy...spam fade-away turtles (never jump-in turtles), spaced Dsmash pushes them away nicely..fade-away Dair is lovely as well. I agree with pressuring Nana, she can't defend herself..and Popo will simply create an opening for himself, so surprise attack him when he expectantly comes rushing to save his little biatch sister.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
G&W definitely feels like one of the better characters against ICs. I don't think its anything less than 6:4, personally.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I've had some practice against ChibiIceClimbers, and this is a slightly irritating match up due mainly to properly spaced, desynched Blizzards and Up Aerials.

Game & Watch may be one of the better characters to use against the Ice Climbers, but that doesn't make it particularly easy. :p

Motel Vacaville of the West

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOR!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
I usually Dash Attack (although somewhat risky) to seperate Popo and Nana.

Also, Up-B works well imo, but I know to usually distance myself not to get grabbed.

Vinnie

Smash Master
I usually Dash Attack

I really love this matchup lol. I beat hylian in a moneh match
before he started maining them again
at apex, and I found that...

Brinstar is the #1 stage for this matchup. Shark nair through the stage, spaced so it doesn't get shieldgrabbed. Fade-away bair, like Dire said. Also, I'm pretty sure that desynched nana can't air dodge, so take advantage of that.

Once, I was playing this ****ty ICs player in a MM, and while Popo was getting star KO'd, I 9'd nana.

>_>

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If you can predict an aerial Blizzard and Bucket from the air, it's possible to not get grabbed iirc.

Just saying.

Anauel

Smash Cadet
Anyone care to explain how you get KO'd with their upB. I've only seen it hit on videos.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Because it has rather high knockback.
Getting hit by it, on the other hand, is another story, and really shouldn't be happening if you stay out of their way if you don't gimp them.

cutter

Smash Champion
I seriously cannot gauge this matchup or any matchup against ICs to begin with lol. We don't have any good ICs here in Oregon (AFAIK) so I haven't had experience in tournament or MMs against them.

The matchup seems easy, yet hard at the same time. Of course, we all know what happens when you get grabbed... Dthrow/Bthrow into oblivion.

Honestly, if it weren't for the horrible AI of Nana when it comes to angling shields and DIing, this would be a solid advantage for the ICs (as it would be for pretty much every other character as well).

I probably just need a good ICs player to wreck me so then I can actually evaluate things lol. I fear a competent ICs player that knows exactly what they're doing.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

I really love this matchup lol. I beat hylian in a moneh match
before he started maining them again
at apex, and I found that...

Brinstar is the #1 stage for this matchup. Shark nair through the stage, spaced so it doesn't get shieldgrabbed. Fade-away bair, like Dire said. Also, I'm pretty sure that desynched nana can't air dodge, so take advantage of that.

Once, I was playing this ****ty ICs player in a MM, and while Popo was getting star KO'd, I 9'd nana.

>_>
To be fair I didn't play IC's until after Apex.

BlkSheep642

Smash Apprentice
yea, i always found this matchup kinda easy. for me, dair seems to separate nana and popo pretty easily, and at that point I just kill nana before worrying about popo n__n and if popo's alone, dthrow to dsmash is a must for me.

kaak

Smash Journeyman
yea, i always found this matchup kinda easy. for me, dair seems to separate nana and popo pretty easily, and at that point I just kill nana before worrying about popo n__n and if popo's alone, dthrow to dsmash is a must for me.
Dair can be shield grabbed and people can tech so.....

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Well I'm going to assume he means Dair when they are in the air. Dairing grounded opponents is usually not a great idea in general save for some situations.

G&W has a lot of ways to split them apart, and he's definitely not easy to grab when trying to avoid it. His KO power is also a blessing.

Certainly an easy matchup, and I agree with the ratio.

kaak

Smash Journeyman
Well I'm going to assume he means Dair when they are in the air. Dairing grounded opponents is usually not a great idea in general save for some situations.

G&W has a lot of ways to split them apart, and he's definitely not easy to grab when trying to avoid it. His KO power is also a blessing.

Certainly an easy matchup, and I agree with the ratio.
upair beat's dair

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
i have a question
would there be any situation where bacon would be a good option?o.o

jw what ya'll think :psycho:

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad