• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question? We've got answers! Check out the OP for FAQs!

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Question/Answer &
Video Critique Thread

Alrught then, if you have any sort of question about King Dedede, whether it would be the smallest fact or the largest fact, I know that I'll answer it for you. As far as this exact sentence is typed here, I am still active in the King Dedede boards.

If you want valuable information or want strategies during specific situations, don't hesitate to show off your King Dedede and post up a couple videos! Me and King Dedede company will be glad to help you out!
If you've been critiqued before and you would like to again, please post another video or two so we can critique you on your improved King Dedede since before.

There's some very useful information from questions regarding King Dedede in doubles here.

Learn something that's not explained anywhere in the other threads!

Contents:
I. Rules
II. Chronicle Guide
III. Critiqued Videos

I. RULES
1.) This is not a spam thread. It is used for posts regarding questions and video critiques only. Anybody else may post only if it's pertaining to the question or critique contribution, and I'll add their information to the original post possibly.
2.) Don't ask the same questions. Look at the index first which is in the guide to search for your answers easier.

II. CHRONICLE GUIDE
This is a "chronicle" of questions that I answered that I transformed into a guide.​

INDEX
READ ---Hold "Ctrl" and press "F", and type in the NUMBER to search for the question you desire.
READ --- When you see 5 periods [ ..... ], that means there's more words to the question.

1.Who can King Dedede do a walking chaingrab on?
2.What are the best ways to use Nair?
3.Which has better range, a pivot grab or a standing grab?
4.Can DDD do a pivot grab to change directions during a CG?
5.Whats the main difference between Uair & Dair.....?
6.Good and bad stages for King Dedede?
7.How do you do the DDD Shuffle?
8.What's King Dedede's best secondary?
9.When Falco chainspikes DDD around 5 throws.....?
10.When knocked far, which aerials are best for momentum canceling during the process of DI?
11.Is it better to change my C-stick to Smashes or Specials in Controller Configuration?
12.How do I beat a Zero Suit Samus?
13.(Here's some principle vocab knowledge ) What does JV mean?
14.Is U-throw into jet hammer a good option when they are about to land?
15.What are good uses for Jet Hammer?
16.How can I make my King Dedede less predictable?
17.[UP TILT STUFF] If you up tilt Meta Knight's tornado and it breaks through.....? Etc.
18.List of characters that can be (how to?) down tilted at the ledge.....?
19.Yoshi infinite???
20.Can we cancel are B moves at the ledge?
21.What does “buffer” mean?
22.What's the fastest way to do a chaingrab.....?
23.How do I do the Ledge Infinite?
24.What are King Dedede's advanced techniques?
25.What does Reverse Aerial Rush (RAR) look like?
26.Hitting your own Waddle Dee.....?
27.Best way to practice and get use to King Dedede?
28.Frequency of using Forward Smash?
29.What are my options after I've chaingrabbed.....
30.What stages can King Dedede go under successfully.....?
31.I lost all my jumps, my opponent is edgehogging.....?
32.Luigi can be chaingrabbed?

1.Who can King Dedede do a walking chaingrab on?
The only two characters are Donkey Kong and Bowser because of their enormous bodies.
DK, Samus, Mario, and Luigi can be standing infinited by Dedede, and only those four characters.
However, while doing the standing infinite on Samus, Mario, or Luigi, you must pummel before every Dthrow (after a few down throws) to reset the move, otherwise it decays, and they go out of reach, making it harder to perform at low %. Out of habit, on all 4 of those characters, I always pummel at least once anyway.

2.What are the best ways to use Nair?
  • Take advantage of the fact it comes out fast, and use it to cover your others moves if they were air dodged through. For example, if I whiff a forward air, or up air, while chasing attempting to chase a Snake off stage or above, neutral air comes out fast enough, and stays out long enough, to punish the ending frames of invincibility, along with the beginning frames of vulnerability.
  • Outprioritizing Snake's mortar shots.
  • Fastfall a Nair into an up tilt for a legit combo...only at the lowest percents of course.
  • Use it in the rare times where you don't want to get punished in the air. When they're so close to you that your Uair, Dair, OR Fair are too rangey to hit with. This move works especially well on Snake, and other big targets.
  • While your opponent is on the ground suffering lag from an attack, and while you're in the air straight above him, instead of fastfalling Nair, you can fastfall YOURSELF and do the stronger Nair for %12. Do this especially when your opponent is at higher percents than when we can do a fastfall Nair > Up tilt combo.
  • In DOUBLES, when both you and your partner are recovering... fast fall it on your partner. The vertical knockback helps a bunch for your partner's recovery.

3.Which has better range, a pivot grab or a standing grab?
Pivot grab has more range.

4.Can DDD do a pivot grab to change directions during a CG?
Well due to not having Boost grabbing (because DeDeDe is too fat) he can't turn the CG around.
The only possible way to pivot grab them...is near the ledge after a chaingrab, when your opponent spotdodges which gives you enough time to run past their spotdodge and pivot grab.
That was just a tidbit...never try this! You'll hardly ever be able to MAKE your opponent spotdodge.

5.Whats the main difference between Uair & Dair? And which move is the best, Uair or Dair?
Up Air has 3% more damage if all hits are connected and has a little bit more knockback than down air. Up air is harder to keep your opponent inside until the knockback frame comes in.
Down air stops a lot more threatening approaches such as Diddy Kong's approach after a banana throw and Meta Knight's up B. It's just more of a guard than up air. Mainly because it will keep your opponent inside the hitbox and down air's hitbox goes all the way from the hammer's fat part to the bottom of the handle near King Dedede's hands, while up air's hitbox is only the fat part of the hammer. It's also not as laggy and can set up for another aerial when your opponent is at low percents.
Down air is the better move.

6.Good and bad stages for King Dedede?
GOOD STAGES: Smashville, Final Destination, Delfino Plaza, Pokemon Stadium 1, Rainbow Cruise

Smashville because it decreases camping by others, the ceiling is slightly lower than Final Destination so we can kill a little earlier there with Up tilt and Down Smash. Its smallness makes the opponent have less room to avoid our excellent grab range (I suggest taking characters that you cannot chaingrab here) The platform gives us the opportunity for an infinite and then a down tilt kill when the platform has reached the other side. The stage is just plain great for the king.
Final Destination because it's floor is quite long for more chaingrab abuse. Also because it is said to be the most fair, it'll keep from any small disadvantages caused by the other character. Do not take anybody here that can outcamp you badly. Go Smashville instead.

Delfino Plaza and Pokemon Stadium 1 are just backups for just in case your opponent bans Rainbow Cruise. Delfino Plaza has several walkoffs for chaingrab kills, several infinite spots, and his aerial game thrives here. Do not take Meta Knight, Pikachu, or Marth here.
Pokemon Stadium 1 is also for anybody who you can chaingrab. Once again, there are several infinite spots. This is my general counterpick for Meta Knights because he's also too good on Rainbow Cruise and Delfino Plaza.
Rainbow Cruise is King Dedede's REAL dreamland. It's his no-brainer counterpick.

BAD STAGES: Norfair, Jungle Japes Yoshi's Island

Norfair disables King Dedede from doing consistent chaingrabs. All the ledges can slow down King Dedede's momentum and other characters just generally do better on this stage who might counterpick this. Some characters can actually camp King Dedede on the center platform. You should only counterpick this stage against Ice Climbers. [Norfair is usually banned as of now...just about everywhere].

Jungle Japes is only bad for King Dedede when characters can outcamp him counterpick this against him. It's a bad stage when you're against Kirby, Toon Link, Falco (<---OMG), Lucas...and anybody who can just do gay stuff. The ceiling is so high too. It's not too bad for King Dedede but just play your smartest if a suspicious character counterpicks this.

Yoshi's Island isn't THAT bad but I still consider it his worst neutral because the bumpy floor can sometimes disrupt chaingrabs and you can only really get two-three grabs off of any character here. Don't be bummed out if Random picks it because you can still win here fairly. There are just slight disturbances on the stage. The ceiling is quite high and other characters such as Zero Suit Samus and Olimar can do tactics under the platform that mess King Dedede up.

7.How do you do the DDD Shuffle?
You have to keep slightly tap the control stick to the side while in Jet Hammer charge. Don't tap it too hard because you won't get the "shuffle" effect to it to where it looks glitchy.
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=id3QXwczsKg

I don't recommend using this glitch in competitive play though because not even the better King Dededes can do it without getting punished. It's still nice to know that it's a glitch.
The only real good use for Jet Hammer is if you fastfall it while coming down to stage. It's still punishable but it serves as a good mindgame. Don't do this that often though.

8.What's King Dedede's best secondary?
Literally, Meta Knight is any character's best secondary. But if you want to stay away from the gay, keep your reputation with your king better, Marth is your best secondary because he covers the majority of his matchups. Which are Falco, Pikachu, Ice Climbers, Olimar. He doesn't really "cover" Meta Knight but I think he may do better against him than King Dedede.

9.When Falco chainspikes DDD around 5 throws, can DDD get back on the ledge w/o using his Up B?
Yes you can Up B back to the ledge, only if your percent is 45% or lower after the meteor-smash. Keep mashing the jump button... you will meteor-cancel it and be able to puff back to the ledge. If your percent is higher than 45% after you've been meteor-smashed, you're going to have to use UpB because only that will meteor-cancel it.

10.When knocked far, which aerials are best for momentum canceling during the process of DI?
Vertically ~~ back air.
Horizontally ~~ DI downwards following a forward air.
Diagonally either the left or the right corners of blastzones ~~ back air.

11.Is it better to change my C-stick to Smashes or Specials in Controller Configuration?
Keep it at smashes and put Tap Off in the control configuration settings. Tap Off so that we can get the Up Tilt kills we desire without our jump interfering.
Keep it at smashes because you never know when you'll do an up smash out of a dash with c-stick up lol. And also so that we can do any smash while walking by tapping the c-stick.

12.How do I beat a Zero Suit Samus?
(This question/answer is pretty much discussing the Zero Suit Samus matchup but whatever...)
Zero Suit Samus is a bummer matchup, but that doesn't mean we're out of luck. We have advantages over the woman that you're probably not aware of. And it also doesn't mean that she's unstoppable...the matchup was clearly said to be Even or 55:45 in her favor..mainly because of her side B. I personally have had a couple problems with her but I eventually win anyways.

I'm going to say this first because it's a major change in the matchup. Her grab is HORRIBLE. One of the worst in the game, and if you spotdodge it, immediately start buffering a forward smash. That's how much lag her grab has if it misses.
First of all, what I always do when the match starts and she has the armor pieces out is..... to just air camp to avoid at least one of them and don't bother to try to catch them and do all that nonsense. Don't try to inhale them either because King Dedede doesn't always swallow them. When you run out of puffs...drop down, shield, then begin air camping again until the armor pieces are gone.
So we know that her only real kill moves that she can actually kill us with is her side B and back air. That's pretty pathetic coming from me. Plus, our weight is a definite advantage for this. Her forward air can kill sometimes but it's easy to see the second kick coming so don't worry about that.
She can do a lot of s*** to us, and we can even be avoiding some of it... but she will never kill us if we keep watch of her side B kill or back air. You just have to see it coming or else your problems will never cease with the matchup, that's the key.
We may all be wondering why they use their side B more often than not and can still kill withit at the end of a stock...but it's because they can combo Up Airs and put that move in the attack queue, allowing her side B to refresh at times for the kill. You can get hit by one up air, but avoid her combo with two or more of them to prevent even more chances of Zero Suit Samus killing you. Also a small weakness to her side B is that it has absolutely no hitbox in the most inside of the whip where you're standing right in front of her. So when you see a sideB coming, you must dodge roll into her, then do a grab or if she's at 90% or more, up tilt her for a kill. Another thing is whenever you fail to dodge roll into her and shield anyways, just know that you can never grab her after you shield it...it pushes you back so don't let her punish you after you fail to grab.
An additional advantage to our weight is our ability to kill her way earlier than she can kill us.
Her weight is just below Olimar's in the weight list, and that's pretty light. So down smash will kill her at 105% and our up tilt killing even earlier. So do as best as you can to wait for the appropriate opportunity to kill her then. Please keep this in mind so the match will go in your favor with the stock lead, plus your weight.
Don't worry about her neutral B as much here... We can shield it, spotdodge it or throw a waddle dee or whatever...but think about it... even if it does hit you, her options are limited to a grab.... or something of less importance. So don't let that get to your head if it hits you successfully.
If you're good at tech chasing... this whole thing will be slightly easier. Read Buuman's short guide on tech chasing and also add that you can kill her with Buuman Trap (down smash) as early as 105% at the right time. And do more down airs in this matchup..or just do more approaching ones.
One more thing... in terms of neutral stages, always try to avoid Battlefield and Yoshi's Island. I believe those stages is where it turns the matchup into her favor even more. Final destination is better, but Smashville is even better than that.
All of this is why I "eventually win anyways", so I hope it helps you, mainly so that the matchup can decrease to our favor where it should be.

13.What does JV mean?
JV 2-stock = 1 stock, 0%
JV 3-stock = 2 stocks, 0%
JV 4-stock = 3 stocks, 0%

14.Is U-throw into jet hammer a good option when the opponent is about to land?
It mainly depends on which character and that character's options in that situation. For example, against Meta Knight...not a good idea because he has a near-lagless Dair.
And any jet hammer followup can only really be successful out of a mindgame because it is such a bad move due to its horrible lag.
I'll guarentee you that up throw to a jet hammer will hardly ever work against a pro in competitive play though.

15.What are some good uses for Jet Hammer?
  • It goes through Meta Knight's tornado every time.
  • Charge up some of it during an opponent's lag/cooltime from a move, and give him a swing.
  • Use it to punish spotdodges.
  • Fastfall it on your opponent while coming down to stage.
  • When Meta Knight is juggling you with Up airs, you can airdodge after the last one and come down with a Jet Hammer.
~~~All of these uses [except the first two] are enormous risks and are just mindgames for your opponent. Use the move rarely.

16.How can I make my King Dedede less predictable?
For King Dedede specifically, don't always go for the grab. Don't Waddle Dee spam [there's no such thing, it's so punishable nowadays].
In general, you should try to cut all the habits that you have. Don't just look at the television screen and do things that you're not thinking of. Think the whole time during a match of what move is best to do in each situation as best as you can. This is in general for any time you're playing competitive Brawl.

17.[UP TILT STUFF] If you up tilt Meta Knight's tornado and it breaks through, doesn't that mean that tornado's priority is actually lower at the middle, or is that just up tilt's priority ****** it?
The invincibility frames of up tilt come much earlier than when it goes through tornado. Not that many either, maybe around 5-7 frames...mainly at the dead beginning of the move. So it's just the priority of the move that beats tornado's.

The tornado's priority is not necessarily lower at the middle. I'm assuming it's lower at the top only because we can do moves that work against it there that we can't at the middle part, such as Inhale, or Down Air (only during the beginning frames of the tornado). It's just that up tilt has extreme priority as well, which is why it can outprioritize the middle and why it's "that good".

Whats the hit box like on up tilt, and when does it have the most vertical or horizontal reach?
The hitbox extends above King Dedede about an inch and it's slightly disjointed at the top (which is good) and hits a tiny bit further above than the tip of his head. That's when it has the most vertical reach, a little bit more after the beginning frames. After the frames of the top, the hitbox goes more horiztonal, which is where you can get kills from it where your opponent is not above you. But I can consider it laggy when you have to wait for King Dedede's head nods downwards to get that hit to work. The range is not that long at all, so don't get your hopes up.

Is there a way to use it so i can get the most out of the invincibility frames?
  • And sadly, it's very hard to get the most out of its invincibility frames because it comes so early in the move and it lasts for minimal frames. Check out the first 20 seconds of this video where I'm below the platform. You can tell I receive no damage, and I hit Snake with the up tilt and the grenade explosion.
    [*]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_2oMSomIqc
  • ALSO: On Brinstar, stand literally in the place where one of the side globs are. Up tilt will have more lag in the startup of the move, making the invincibility frames last longer!
You know the animation during DDDs Utilt is called over shoot. Its where you exaggerate a body part of a character for xx amount of frames for the sake of expression. Or to over exaggerate it.

Normal head size :
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/rikao/al_090831_2213.jpg

Utilt, back :
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/rikao/al_090831_22141.jpg

Utilt, front :
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/rikao/al_090831_2214.jpg
What are the best ways to land up tilt?
  • Air dodge downward while you're opponent is in the air, to an up tilt.
  • It's easiest to hit with while under a platform, especially if somebody does a laggy attack.
  • After we have shielded or spotdodged something.
Otherwise, you're just going to have to use it at the correct time very wisely, depending on the spacing/timing.

18.List of characters that can be down tilted at the ledge? How do I do the down tilt precisely?

Donkey Kong
Bowser
Samus
Ivysaur
Charizard
Yoshi
R.O.B.
King Dedede
Snake

In order to get successfully down tilt a character, you must slightly tap the control stick down (half way down) to where you won't see the crouch animation. King Dedede will skip from standing animation, to down tilt animation, which makes your down tilt faster [applies to any character]. You'll get them every time with proper spacing with the ledge behind the opponent.

19.Yoshi infinite???
It was confirmed that we cannot standing grab infinite Yoshi. The man with that video only grabbed Yoshi again because of a hurtbox Yoshi pulled out extremely fast. Our grab had priority at that moment when the King Dedede pressed "Z" blindly.

20.Can we cancel are B moves at the ledge?
After testing this...and I knew this was too good to be true, but the ledge does not cancel the lag after we do a special attack. All of our special moves are pretty laggy, but still, the ledge doesn't cancel. The best I came up with is while we are recovering high, we can level ourselves with the ledge and do an Inhale and then grab the ledge after all the lag is gone. It takes good timing but it's actually easy to master if you keep doing it in friendlies. Or make a custom stage with a platform and a ledge block about 5 "squares" below it and you can practice timing of the falling Inhale or Waddle Dee toss. I don't recommend Jet Hammer for this maneuver. Because it sucks. It sucks bad. It sucks really bad. It sucks really really bad.

21.What does "buffer" mean?
Buffer means mashing a button to ensure that you get the perfect frame of the attack you want to execute.

22.What's the fastest way to do a chaingrab and what can I do to make it consistent?
After you do one down throw, your opponent is in hitstun correct? During this, you should get into the habit of buffering a dash...and then shield-grab. To fulfill the greatest effect of shieldgrabbing, you must get into the habit of how long your standing-grab range is. This is the fastest procedure and most consistent and effective way to chaingrab. Some characters like Snake and Wolf require dash grabbing, because they'll be out of hitstun before you attempt to shield-grab them.

23.How do I do the Ledge Infinite?
Do a down throw...and then buffer another grab with "Z". The buffering takes some practice to get the timing down of when exactly you need to start buffering "Z". Think of it like this, you're timing skill of it will get better if you check out the animation of King Dedede, of when he's done from sitting down on his opponent. Start buffering "Z" at that moment.

Is there a certain distance from the edge that Dedede has to be?
Just as long as you're next to the ledge and when the opponent is in thin-air off the ledge.

24.What are King Dedede's advanced techniques?
I'll list the "true advanced technique" ones, meaning that every character can do it.
  • Jab cancel > Do a jab and during the frames of him swinging the hammer, press the Shield button and it will cancel the jab so you can do any move afterwards without worrying about the second jab coming out.
  • Pivot Grab > While running or dashing one direction, press "Z" and C-stick the opposite way at the same time. Or I think press C-stick the opposite way a tinsey bit before hitting "Z".
  • Forward Smash with an Item > Pick up an item (including Diddy Kong's banana peels, Peach's turnips, or R.O.B.'s Gyro) and keep hold of the "A" button. You'll be able to do a forward smash while holding the item by pressing the C-stick in the appropriate direction.
  • Hugging > Run off the stage and immediately press down and slightly to the left/right to grab the ledge. (This fast way of grabbing the ledge pretty much replaces Wavedashing backwards to the ledge from Melee.)
  • Fox Trot > Do the same input on the control stick as you would do for dashing, and just let go of the control stick and you'll get that fast motion.
They're all easy to pick-up.

25.What does Reverse Aerial Rush (RAR) look like?
RARing is when you input the pivot animation after dashing and immediately jump out of it so you are facing backwards. This is where you do a back air, which is not as laggy as approaching with a forward air. A very handy and easy technique.

26.Hitting your own Waddle Dee will refresh your moves?
To answer it more specifically, yes the move used to hit a Waddle Dee or Waddle Doo will be put into the imaginary "9 attack queue". This will gradually lead to the refreshment of moves.

27.Best way to practice and get use to King Dedede?
After reading as much as you can of the guides here on the King Dedede boards, you should get used to his moveset by just simply practicing in Training Mode. That's for the beginner of beginners. Then, after you know what move is used for what situation from the previous practice, use online play to learn your matchups better. Learn to point out what your habits are, and correct them by actually thinking of what's best to use instead of that same move.
Practice your chaingrab with the harder characters: Marth, Toon Link, Diddy Kong, and Pit. Once you know those...you'll naturally pick up everybody else that can be chaingrabbed.

28.How often do you use forward smash in tournament?
It's one of those moves where you have to use it occasionally to where you'll mess up your opponent's timing of landing on the ground. It's very large hitbox can cover almost anything incoming, only if you space it favorably. Always space the move. The frequency should not be that large, or else you'll get punished for it the majority of times you use it. It's definitely an option to buffering it with C-stick after down throwing somebody near a ledge. It pressures them really good, there's a chance the "earthquake" hitbox will hit them. And who knows, you can really hit somebody with it too. Mindgames....mindgames....

29.What are my options after I've chaingrabbed somebody and I'm standing at the ledge?
It really does depend on the character and the situation. I'll just list what you can do:
1.) Forward Throw: Good for damage and gets them offstage more, allowing for a gimping opportunity. Pretty basic and not much to it.
2.) Down Throw once more: This can lead to you hugging the ledge immediately afterwards for a mindgame. Or there's a possibility for an aerial attack. Stagespikes aren't that likely though.
3.) Grab Release [Just keep pummeling and they'll eventually release]: Best for characters who have fast falls like Fox, Falco, Sheik, Link. And do it on Snake too so you can follow it up while Snake does UpB.
4.) If you chaingrabbed somebody and their at low percents, you can backthrow them for a lot more damage.
That's about it really, the best thing of these choices depends on the character.

30.What stages can King Dedede go under successfully from one ledge to the other?
Smashville, Battlefield and Delfino Plaza. It was a failure on all the other stages that are legal.
Expect to do upB while having to cancel it, which can be predictable and your opponent can just hug the ledge. None of his aerials give him extra aerial mobility.

31.I lost all my jumps. My opponent is edgehogging the ledge. I'm forced to do Up B. The only way is to sweetspot the ledge. Is it possible to hit an edgehogger and still manage to cancel Up B in time to grab the ledge?
I've done it several times and it definitely works. You must bring forth the timing of cancelling it the millisecond you spike whoevers on the ledge. But it can't happen that often because either they will hug the ledge right before you're coming down so they get the invincibility frames. Or if they're already on it, they'll do a ledge attack or roll so they can evade it too.

32.Luigi can be chaingrabbed?
Yes... with Shield Chaingrabbing only. It means while your running, Shield and press Z.... or A. Your grab range is a bit farther using this technique, and its better to SCG chaingrab on some characters, rather than just dash grab. Marth being one of them.
Yes, Luigi can be Chaingrabbed. But you MUST do the Shield Chaingrab and it must be frame perfect. You don't need to practice the chaingrab on Luigi because you'll only get one or two grabs in...it's better to just back throw him offstage since the 16% equals two down throws from a chaingrab. Too bad the standing infinite is banned nowadays.

III. CRITIQUED VIDEOS​

some things that came to my mind were. Go for more bairs when you're off the stage with him you'll be able to recover, he wont. Uhh ftilt oos when he retreating fairs your shield. Powershield more. That's all i really noticed practice gimping marth and you'll be fine ;B
Two things:
1.) Never dash grab Marth during a chaingrab, that's when they will always have the opportunity to do upB or just avoid you altogether. Always shieldgrab because the extra grab range is faster than dash grabbing.
2.) Never try to gimp Marth when below the ledge level of the stage. Don't even fastfall anything because his upB will beat you and stagespike you more times than not. You can gimp him before that but not near below.
Other than that, your King Dedede is almost solid Junk :), just not yet. 4/5

Just for the beginning of the video in how "you got ***** the first stock", it was because of the armor pieces. Aircamp them when you predict her to throw one every time until they are gone. But since it was on Smashville, use that platform to your advantage.

3:00 - 3:02 (Single example) Second of all, look out for where your Waddle Dees are walking. I caught four times where you unintentionally threw one where you meant to do an aerial. It's already a habit for me to see if they are right next to me, to not do any attack that involves "A" or an airdodge while you are near them. It doesn't hurt to purposely do "A" to throw one because you achieve less starting lag, but only do it at a reasonable distance away.

1:10 - 1:12 I loved how you powershielded Zero Suit Samus's sideB at times. Good job there and keep it up, that's great for the matchup.
0:13 - 0:19 And try to not do moves repeatedly, such as your Inhale, because they were and will get punished if your opponent is smart enough. I'm saying this in general for you sire.

Other than that, your King Dedede has surprising potential who knows what he's doing, judging by the second half of the video. 4/5

Heh, this was funny in how this was the exact same video that Gates posted in the social thread.
I don't think you'll need that much advice AC, your King Dedede is just good enough lol. You seem to know the things needed, such as for the Meta Knight matchup in which you should never approach. And also, you handled tornado spamming nicely, but it can be easy for any experienced player to handle since they keep using it consistently and it'll become more predictable.

Just a couple things to point out that you shouldn't do :
4:53 - 5:05 : As said in the previous critique, don't overuse a single move in which you will really get punished for, meaning your Inhale in this case. I'm sure it was just a simple mistake, but I don't recommend trying that again even though you got him with it more times than not. LoL
4:31 - 4:33 : Never do a falling down air to the floor unless if you're timing it correctly in which you know you'll deal the knockback frame.
Not much else to cover, good stuff. 5/5

0:03 and other parts of the video... you were doing too many unnecessary wall-of-pain back airs, which needs to be fixed, especially when those come out of habit. It is actually effective in certain matchups such as Wario, Peach and Luigi, but not against Lucario but you need to cut that habit anyways.
2:29 - 2:34 Yes. I was impressed by this. Do more mindgames than just that young one.
During several parts of when you chaingrabbed, you weren't pummeling. Your opponent can only break out fast enough in percents before 50%. So pummeling will benefit your game because it will guarentee you extra damage in between each grab, and the pummel will go in the "attack queue", making it that much easier to refresh your other moves eventually. One pummel is guarenteed of them not breaking out when over 50%ish, so I recommend it.
1:44 - 1:46 Never do this! Never fastfall a down air to the floor unless if you know that you can time it correctly to when you'll deal the knockback frame of the attack. The lag will be too much to bear for King Dedede when he gets punished. It's better to do a falling neutral air or a correctly timed down air when coming down to stage.

Generally, you need to work on perfecting more of King Dedede's moveset because that's what builds his various maneuvers to defeat his opponent with mix-ups. There was an unbalance in the moves you used. I suggest doing more approach short-hopped down airs, more short-hopped Inhales, and forward smash for the kill here and there. You underestimate that smash.... And you really need to use your sideB more often! I think you're not using it because of the lag on it, or either you're too caught up in just playing too calm/slow with back airs (approach more). Destroy those habits. 2/5

Judging by the first video against Snake...like you said you really need to work on the timing of chaingrabbing this guy. He's not hard at all to master chaingabbing at without him pulling out a grenade. And you walk way too much here. You can walk at points where he's recovering high or sometimes approaching his campy state, but never do it excessively. You should be dashing and cancelling with shield more against Snake only whenever you approach him at the right time. Try to get used to seeing Snake pulling out a grenade in shield, and don't attack him there, it'll save you 10%. And when you receive vertical knockback, it's better to use back air to help with Directional Influence, not down air. I saw that you just barely survived that up tilt on the second video. Other than that, you have a great mentality for the matchup Dawall.
Against Falco, you need to down air camp more with a mix of Inhale. He cannot punish it when you have an extra jump and it puts him in the air. Good job on avoiding his chaingrab the majority of the game though. And when you down throwed him and he just stayed on the ground for a little...don't forward tilt him when he has that low percent because you'll get punished as you did. Do down tilt instead of you see him laying there again.
Okay you seem to walk against everybody all the time. Walk less, dash/shield more and balance them. No need to explain there.
And you need to add Inhale, Down Smash, and pummeling more into your game, that's very important. Utilize your whole moveset to the best it can be (except Jet Hammer.)
4/5

For the first video...never throw a waddle dee that close to somebody. It's too laggy and especially against Marth, you should know that he'll get you with the chaingrab to a forward smash. You have to keep that in mind whenever your percent is from 0-4 (Yes that's the exact percent range. Anything higher won't get the chaingrab). The waddle dee throw might have been a habit thing, so work on that.
You didn't use forward tilt once against Marth...It outranges everything he has and it's even better if you spaced it and hit him with it at the same time. Marth is the hardest character to chaingrab consistently, even if you think you got it down, you don't. I saw you chaingrab him successfully a couple times so keep that up. It'll make the matchup that much easier the more you know when the frame windows are perfectly open.
I saw you Inhale Marth and spit him back onstage...always turn around and spit him offstage, it's guarenteed if you turn around. And just try to watch yourself when you're approaching with a Reverse Aerial Rush back air, please. That seems to be a habit that you have to break, and rather watch for when the correct time to do it when Marth messes up his spacing or when he starts going down to ground.

Against Snake on Castle Siege...you should've figured out already that he was going to do all that camping with grenades on the second transformation. So instead of staying under him the whole time, start puffing up to the side platforms (flags) and go aerial on him then with a keen watch of his grenades. And that will heat it up for him. You were dealing with the grenades everywhere else almost perfectly...keep up the air camping and waiting for the appropriate time to grab, good stuff there.

R.O.B. is such a predictable matchup for us...but I think you need a slight bit more experience for this to happen with you also. You must know that whenever you're close to ROB, or in range of his down smash, he will do it. Another indication that he will down smash is if he spotdodges first, that's what almost all ROBs do when they're not smart to do anything else. So immediately shield when you see the spotdodge, but don't attempt a grab beforehand. You should watch him for a second instead of always trying to grab him because of his spotdodge. Yes I know this becomes like a guessing game when I say this but, they will grab you after a spotdodge sometimes too, but forget the guessing game and shield anyways.
And never do your down smash too early in percentages because it's lag is not worth the 15% that it will deal when that early in your opponent's stock.
For this matchup, you cannot always expect a chaingrab, you have to mix up your options unless if the ROB is really stupid. I'd say for his airgame...you should back air out of your shield more. Or at least do back airs the whole time if that's what it takes to shut down his fast aerial game. It seems that you're having the most trouble with R.O.B...so ask me anything in particular that you're iffy with in this matchup. R.O.B. is my secondary, so I should know.

Watch where your waddle dees/doos are...because as you could tell, a waddle doo was on the right platform and it interrupted your aerial. If you watch where they are, never do a move that involves "A" or an airdodge while your near them, unless if you intend to pick-up throw one with less lag.
And you had good DI with forward air on your first stock. One way to make your DI better is to momentum cancel more of your trajectory by holding down the control stick while doing forward air when you receive that horizontal knockback. You can survive at higher percentages if you go by that explanation.
At around 1:40 of the video, Pit was in center of the stage and you decided to upB trying to do the doby slam on him...The Pit was smart there to shield because every player will do that. Especially if your opponent is in the center of stage, always just puff to the ledge, don't bother trying to hit him with your approaching upB.
You were doing Inhale..now that's a start. Using inhale to best as it gets is to shorthop it after approaching. It seems more lagless because you're coming down on your opponent, and it's hard for them to notice the shorthop inhale, so do it that way more rather than just standing inhale. Never forget to try to swallowcide when there's an opportunity too.
I will now add on to the do's and don'ts of our laggy sideB. Additionally to never doing it when your opponent is approaching you, never do sideB when that close in range. You have many better options, and it seemed like a habitual thing, so notice when you do that and correct it.
And you really do forward smash too much. Limit your use in it and use it slightly more in doubles or free-for-all matches. It's too predictable and laggy, but don't remove it from your game, just use it a lot less.
I'm not trying to flatter myself here at all, just telling the truth and facts. I also recommend to search on youtube for players such as CO18, Seibrik, Atomsk, Lain. Even myself too http://www.youtube.com/user/CommanderBeef101#p/a, and try to replicate what we do into your game and you'll become better with King Dedede.

Down smash is good but don't do silly moments like at 1:08. When they are that close, uptilt. Uptilt is your best kill move.
When he spams rolls, then you can go for a grab or downsmash.
Also yeah nice work, against Falco you mainly wanna be spacing with Ftilt and Dtilt and punish moves with grabs. If he runs at you spotdodge because hes likely gonna Usmash.
You made your first mistake in the dead beginning of the match. Do not do your sideB while somebody is approaching you.... Even if it hits him, you can still be punished because of the horrible lag of the move.
And in general, while your opponent is at percents from 0-40, don't pummel. That Falco wasn't smart but at low percents like that, they can break out before you do a throw much easier. Do a back throw or tech chase down throws [if you're good at it] until they're at higher percents. You need to utilize more of your moveset like others were saying [except downB]. Don't always go for the grab...rather mix up your options. Each move has its own special properties. And do less dodge-rolling/spotdodging, and more jumping in the air to evade what Falco does.

First vid:

You did very well on his first stock. You were able to control the match and powershield all his **** very well.
He must've DI'd the fthrow at the end wrong cause I highly doubt it can kill a light character that early, let alone ROB.
On his second stock you had a little bit of a hiccup but still did very well.
At about 1:35 you missed on opportunity for a uair or fair which would've added at least 15% to him, but it's no big deal.
There's also times where you seem like you're basically throwing out Waddle Dees waiting for a Gordo. I realize these are friendlies and you were probably ******* around, but I seriously hope you don't expect that to work in tourney.
At 2:29 you could have pivot grabbed ROB and chaingrabbed him to the other side and dtilted at the ledge for a kill which would've sped up your match. Don't feel to bad though, I see Dededes forget to pivot grab all the time.
I like your use of dair to deal with ROB's planking.
2:43 you walked right into what he wanted you to do. A better thing would have been to cancel your upB and grab the ledge.
3:02 I'm guessing you didn't know that you can dtilt ROB after a dthrow at the ledge.
You also might have been able to go for a nair or fair stagespike at 3:04.
3:12 You should look at the thread on Seibrik's new AT that involves Inhale and utilt, but then again you killed him anyway so meh.
3:22 - 3:35 is pretty ****, not gonna lie.
4:58 You can use bair to get yourself out of hitstun faster and regain aerial control sooner. A lot of people call this momentum canceling but I'm still not entirely sure if that's the correct term. If you had done this and recovered correctly you might have kept your second stock.
5:21 Dthrow -> Dtilt at the ledge would have been an instant kill.
5:29 See this it the problem with Gordo camping - If you do it too much it'll probably miss when you actually do get one.
5:44 Great way to end the match.
Second Video:
Just about everything you did, Salsa, was for the benefit of the matchup, which is great. I like how you know that you can keep R.O.B. offstage for that long period of time with back air. And also that R.O.B.'s forward air gets beaten and therefore has limited options to stay on stage. I need to keep a record of how many times I say this...Do not do a d*** down air into the ground. If you know that you'll get lag and you won't send him anywhere, why do it? Well my answer is that it came out, out of habit in this particular situation, fix it just like everybody else. And when at a median distance from R.OB., don't throw waddle dees because they don't help your advantage in the matchup. Better going in for the grab than to throw a dragging servant that only deals 5%. And always go offstage when R.OB. is, because when he uses upB, he cannot airdodge making him vulnerable. Don't throw them when he's offstage and just go after him. The more pressure on the robot, the better. While R.O.B. is at that 200% on his first stock, just wait patiently for a down smash, down tilt, or up tilt kill. Or a chaingrab to a down tilt at the ledge. Just standing there is a mindgame especially if it's something different to what your opponent has adapted to you with [which in this case is you running around].
Yeah the match would've been done long before if you've known that you have a legitimate combo of down tilt following a down throw.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I'll ask the first question of this thread:

If you kill someone and then Dededecide twice but take damage on some of the later stocks, does it still count as a JV 3 stock?

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
If you kill someone and then Dededecide twice but take damage on some of the later stocks, does it still count as a JV 3 stock?
In the first place, it's not even considered to be a 3stocked win because you're minusing 1 stock by suiciding yourself anyways.
As for the JV...and to be technical about this...you're going into Sudden Death, meaning that the match was a draw because of the swallowcide. You still lost your stocks regardless of what percentage you were at on one of those stocks, so there is absolutely no effect of that being called a JV stocked win, or it just doesn't count as one.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
No beef, he's purposing that he kills them, gets the stock lead, then lands 2 DDD suicide kills. He wouldn't go into sudden death in this situation.

And in response to Gates, no, it counts as ****.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
I'm going to agree with CRASHiC

Second question: What does JV mean :)

/noob

EDIT: Holy **** I spam. >.> Go to the King DeDeDe forums and look at how many last posts I have... in a row...

Am I that spammy? <.<

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
No beef, he's purposing that he kills them, gets the stock lead, then lands 2 DDD suicide kills. He wouldn't go into sudden death in this situation.

And in response to Gates, no, it counts as ****.
Oh yes... I forgot about it being that we have a stock lead.
So it's not counted as a JV 3stock win... it's counted as a JV 1stock win because you're losing those two stocks by swallowciding anyways. When you do your last swallowcide for game, you're meant to respawn with 0% (when it says GAME!).. that means it counts as a JV 1stock.

Thanks for that reminder Crashic about us having the stock lead. I would've answered the question completely wrong, but whatever it's settled.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
*cough* >.>
Oh forgive me, that's very important. I'll give credit to Gates for the explanation that he gave me through a link.

JV n-stock is when one player wins with 1-4 stock remaining and has 0% of that stock.

n = the number of stocks you have
So for example if I 2 stocked somebody while I have 0%... we would call that a JV 2-stock win.

These two questions will be added to the original post now...

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Wrong.

JV means Junior Varsity which means almost Varsity.

A JV 3 stock is almost a 3 stock. Which just means you had 0% on that stock.

JV 1 stocking someone would mean you won while dead. :x

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
umm ur all wrong. Jv 2 stock = 1 stock 0 percent.
Wow I didn't know it was a difference in numbers like that, unless if you're not sure CO18.
Number differences like when it's a JV 3-stock, we'll have 2 stock 0% or when it's a JV 2-stock we'll have 1 stock with 0% -_-...
Yeah I can see this because we suicided with them. Nevermind.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Wrong.

JV means Junior Varsity which means almost Varsity.

A JV 3 stock is almost a 3 stock. Which just means you had 0% on your second (used to say "that") stock
EDIT:. ^ typo LAWL

JV 1 stocking someone would mean you won while dead. :x
CO didn't read my post. I didn't say JV 2 anywhere.
EDIT:
However I did make a drastic typo.

JV 1 = won while having 0 stocks (AKA: Impossible to my knowledgE)
JV 2 = 1 stock, 0%
JV 3 = 2 stocks, 0%
JV 4 = 3 stocks, 0%
JV 5 (Melee only really. :x) = 4 stocks, 0% (and it has happened)

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
I actually meant to say that in my first post below yours. I just forgot what to say ^_^''

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
got a question, I have trouble with DDD to get around falco's lasers. How to get around them?
Yes there is information on that in the matchup thread for Falco and you should check there.
However, the best ways to get around them when he's just fullhop camping them is to keep puffing over them or powershield with a mix of dodge-roll approaches. You have to watch out when he's going to chaingrab you or do something to punish your approach though. That's really the best we can do, which is one factor to why Falco is a tough matchup for us.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Full hoping would not work because a falco's full hop is much larger than ours, so they can still be shootin lazers.
All you can do is either hold the edge and wait for an approach, or approach and powershield and ftilt when in range. Once you are there, in my opinion, you can corner the falco and take the win.

∫unk

Smash Master

T3h Albino

Smash Master
some things that came to my mind were. Go for more bairs when you're off the stage with him you'll be able to recover, he wont. Uhh ftilt oos when he retreating fairs your shield. Powershield more. That's all i really noticed practice gimping marth and you'll be fine ;B

∫unk

Smash Master
Thanks albino that helps :) I'm really bad at gimping I'll work on it

I couldn't find the critique thread at a quick glance... is it stickied?

And after watching mike vs lain and comparing it to the # of powershields I get vs mike... It's not far off I think. I actually psed a lot of steels stuff u just can't hear it. But marth can be really hard to predict and if they do falling n-air psing doesn't do much because the second hit had huge shield knockback..

That's why I think spotdodging is more practical vs high level marths who don't f-air predictably but f-air reacting to your spacing (like mike). Is that right? Just my personal take based on my exp but you guys know more

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Yeeee! =D

Also, why the **** do people never ask in a Q&A thread instead of making their own thread? >.>

Jupz

Smash Master
I'll finally have some vids up of my DDD this sunday, I doubt it will be as good as any of yours but anyway it would be nice to get some critiques.

Also yeah but remember they cancel instantly so they can shield and punish if you're not careful.

Top Bottom