• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF Low-Tier Tourney: Ike

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Hello, all. It's me again.

Marc and I have been tossing around this idea for a while: a SWF sponsored Low Tier Tourney. It would have to take place over WiFi (which we know has it's limitations, but there is little we can do about it).

This idea stems from a lot of pros and amateurs claiming that many low tier characters are not as bad/negligible as people think; it's just that they are rarely used so their metagames aren't very developed. So, we're trying to give your character the chance to shine...just not as Fox or Falco ;)

Here are the rules we've come up with so far:

1) 64 man tourney, double elimination. Standard counterpicks apply. Matches are best of 3 with winners, losers and grand finals out of 7.
2) The only characters allowed are D Tier and below. For those that want me to list them instead of clicking the link, too bad
3) We want to make it a relatively equal distribution of characters. There are 13 characters so it won't go evenly in, but we want to avoid there being 20 Zeldas and 1 Yoshi.
4) No player can represent two different characters or take two different slots in the bracket.
5) Top 3 get some neato prize that has yet to be determined. And bragging rights.

Now, your guys' job: you need to rank your top 5 Ikes. The top 4 will automatically get a slot in the tourney with the 5th being optional depending on the input of other characters. I hope this is done civilly or somewhat democratically. Those 4/5 slots have to agree to fill the slot and have WiFi/the means to play the tourney. You can try to recruit other smashers to represent your character, but they can only play as one character so you're up against other boards in the recruiting aspect.

The bracket will also be set up so that not all 4/5 of the same character are on the same side, so you guys won't meet each other until later in the tourney.

Thoughts? Comments? Lists of players? Your feedback is more than welcome!

Kirk

Smash Champion
I'd like to take part...just for fun, even though I suck on wifi. xD

As for ranking...I don't even know who plays wifi...except for like kimchi lol.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So we should just turn this topic into a voting pretty much. No point in making another topic or taking this into Ashu's. If we are allowed to nominate, I would nominate Renegade, Kirk, and Kimchi for sure. Not sure if Kimchi will participate, cause of school though.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
If nobody else wants to represent Ike in this, I can volunteer as a sub/last minute/2nd priority recruit.

If not because Ike is the MK of low-tier (with Sonic banned from this event), Wi-Fi lulz, and a chance for me to see if I can play him still (in Wi-Fi), I can actually help... for whatever the purpose of this tourney is, to go back to my roots and show everybody here (if they still remember me) how much of a (Wi-Fi) scrub I am.

If anybody actually wants to help me train my Ike and keep up with his metagame... I know he's not that deep of a character, but I'm still behind on some things... like I don't know any guaranteed grab releases/jab-cancels/etc, that would be lovely. Only if you want to though, and if I get selected to participate, I don't want you to feel like you're wasting your time if I'm only going to be turned down (not a problem to me) and continue to mess around with Sonic.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Grab releases are a pain to get to work over wifi. Lag kills them. Same with jab cancels. Or anything else that requires timing. Ugh.

Good lucky to anyone who actually goes through with this, I wont. Not good enough, too busy, and I hate wifi for anything other then friendly matches with people in my state. -_-

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I know lag kills junk, but still it helps to know some things... especially when compared to Sonic who is more demanding of a character, I feel more comfortable working with him than I do Ike... it's THAT bad of a case of metagame underdevelopment for me.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I'm in! Sign me up! I main Ike and Ganon and play WiFi more than offline so this is perfect. Finally an official (sort of) tourney in which I can help represent the Ike boards.

:034:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
kimchi and bored are more familiar w/ wifi
kirk & ryko are just plain good =p

5th there's many many others i could name (red-x, ren, arturito, etc etc etc etc). Although I heard from ren that he'll be away for a while, so that's why I didn't immediately put his name out.

Hopefully I could join if the time of it is good.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I don't think I'll be able to participate depending on the date of the tourny. If I'm in college, and our room doesn't have a router, I won't be able to use my wii wirelesslely. If I knew if I was guaranteed wireless internet at college, I would start brushing up for wifi since I haven't actively played it in since early Spring.

Oh and like I stated earlier, if there are a limit of slots and such, we should take a final vote on who gets to participate. No offense, but I don't want some scrub representing our character. I want the best of the best...even if it's some guy who uses Ike as a secondary or what not.

King of Sack

Smash Journeyman
I volunteer if there is a free spot. I'm not amazing but I practically ***** at a low tier tourny last week. :] And yes, they were good, only 2/13 people were noobs. But it was cancelled before winners finals: Me(Ike) vs. Ewic(Samus) :[

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Well, there are 13 characters allowed in the tourney, and it's a 64 person tourney. That means roughly 5 representatives per character, with one character having 4, assuming it's going to be done that way. In that case, I guess a vote would work, but it would be unfair for some of us (like me) who are good players but live in NS, Canada and thus can't attend major offline tourneys to prove ourselves :(

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
If you're looking for the best 5 people on this board, four of them are going to be Kirk, Kimchi, Light, and Ryko.
Have to take into account the fact that it's WiFi too, although I think it would still be the same four, albeit maybe in a different order.

PeppyWil

Smash Ace
Not good enough to participate. >_> But gogogogo Ike! We got this!

Kirk
Ryko
Kimchi

Those are the real obvious ones, hope they can participate. Wish this could be without lag, but HAHA that ain't happenin'.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, there are 13 characters allowed in the tourney, and it's a 64 person tourney. That means roughly 5 representatives per character, with one character having 4, assuming it's going to be done that way. In that case, I guess a vote would work, but it would be unfair for some of us (like me) who are good players but live in NS, Canada and thus can't attend major offline tourneys to prove ourselves :(

Offline stuff should not matter at all for this. This is a wifi tournament, so it's all about wifi play. So if you are one of the top 5 wifi players here, then you should be granted eligibility to have one of the spots.

So people, try to think of the best WIFI Ike's. Most of you have stated names that play exclusively offline, and would have trouble adapting to the wifi world. I know everyone has their own adjustment rate, but like I said, some do better than others.

I propose the Ike board hold a small, round robin tournament of some sort. We can have all the Ike players go against each other. Granted it will be only be Ike dittos, but we can learn who performs better on wifi. The extremity of lag should also go into consideration for each match.

And here is my list of 5 best wifi Ike's. Not in any order.

Renegade, Kimchi, San, Durango, LNIAD.

Two of these obviously don't hang out on smashboards, but do on AiB.

King of Sack

Smash Journeyman
I propose the Ike board hold a small, round robin tournament of some sort. We can have all the Ike players go against each other. Granted it will be only be Ike dittos, but we can learn who performs better on wifi.
I like your thinking. :] You have my support for this, if necessary.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Two of these obviously don't hang out on smashboards, but do on AiB.
Well, it's an SWF tourney, so do we really want Ikes who don't visit the boards representing us? They may have the best chance of winning but would they be winning it for us? We need to think of this as a team effort, all the five representatives need to support each other and receive support from the rest of us along the way.

I mean obviously to the winner go the spoils, but your representing your character here at SWF, not just yourself. That's how I see it anyways...

King of Sack said:
I like your thinking. :] You have my support for this, if necessary.
Also, I second this.

Dante710

Smash Rookie
Yay tourny i would like to be in this though im not sure if i would be good enough for it XD

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I'd definitely be up for this sort of thing. I've been on WiFi quite a bit recently so I don't actually mind the lag at all.

Though I would also definitely not be against participating in a giant (well, 16 peopleish?) round robin tourney.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Yah I'm really liking the round robin idea. After which of course we could also have a vote based on the results or just go with the top 5 from the round robin. Is there a date set for this SWF tourney yet? Cause we should probably have the round robin soon if we're going to have it at all.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Guys, I'm gonna go ahead and make a topic for the tournament. Feel free to comment on it and let me know if I should edit anything.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Why do I feel Ike will dominate this?
F-Smash on lag FTW!!! Anyways, this is cool and all, but I can't join because I'm not known enough, and I suck online. D:

I use both Ness and Ike, though my Ike is better online than my Ness is.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
All right, deadline for the roster is September 1st. You guys just send me a PM with the names (ranked in order, preferably. You can even go to past 5 if you want). Just pick one person here to send it to me so I don't get 4 repeated lists. If you have any problems with the roster and cry foul, I'll read through the entire thread and see if it's valid.

Top Bottom