• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Bittersweet Ending

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Link to original post: [drupal=2187]A Bittersweet Ending[/drupal]

As of tonight, I am closing The Custom Pokémon Shop.

I don’t believe many User Blogs regulars know it very well (although I’ve written about it in a few blogs before), but here’s the shop if you wish to see it – The Custom Pokémon Shop. I feel the need to let out my closing feelings on the shop, and I feel the need to explain its closing thoroughly to those who frequented it, members or requesters.

We really did have a great run. For about 3 months it was an amazing thread. We had members join and all, we changed, we kept making sprites. We had our issues, with arguments, things that required rule changes, and whatnot. It’s truly hard to express how much fun the shop was for that time, you pretty much had to be there to understand, so I won’t go on forever trying to express it.

But as the months went on, I think all of us were either busy or lacked motivation to sprite…probably a mixture of both, really. The thread was still VERY active, though, as we got off-topic quite a bit.

Overall, I think the thing that brought us to this point quickly was that we seriously stopped being so lax after one rather nasty argument leading to a temporary lock. For MANY months, the Poké Center was basically lacking moderation, and we did want moderators, though I did sort of like the lack of moderation a little better, save for when the occasional spammers attacked and no one was there to do anything. When actual moderation arrived we really had to straighten out. Of course, we were inactive sprite-wise regardless, so I don’t think that changed anything, it just brought the thread to this point faster because off-topic discussion didn’t hide the fact that we were practically dead.

Numerous other factors contributed to it, too. For one, the fact that many spriters were very inconsistent about spriting. Life interferes, obviously, and I tried to be as consistent as I could once life interfered more than it had before, but you can’t sprite when you’ve had it hanging over your head forever and lost motivation as a result. At least, I can’t.

There was also the factor that we practically made the thread a fascism because we had to implement so many rules due to people not being sensible about it. You’d think a lack of frequent activity for weeks and a request list with 15+ sprites on it would key people into the fact that they probably shouldn’t request, especially not 5 sprites at a time, but they didn’t pick it up so we had to put a maximum for the request list (which never really stuck, actually) and rules preventing people from requesting more than one sprite within a certain time span. Things like that. You can see the entire rule list for reference of the things we implemented. I felt bad about it, but it was hard enough maintaining the shop with other things to do, without people requesting REALLY difficult things just to request difficult things incessantly.

I think one of the largest factors was that, in the end, both Spire and I wanted to make a shop simply to make sprites for everyone to see, to both supply sprites and just have fun making them…and too many people took it too seriously. Many people never even came back to thank us for the sprites we made, on a few occasions someone made disparaging remarks about our sprites, and when our sprites were posted on another forum (which was in retrospect a horrible idea, apparently any sort of social aspect of Serebii [a Pokémon fansite] is nazi-ridden) they were basically torn apart with criticism.

Tonight, Zook PM’d me asking if I would be okay with him starting his own sprite shop…and at first I was devastated, thinking of how our shop wouldn’t be able to stand up anymore if another shop were created.

But after a minute or two of thought, I realized that our time was over. The shop was dead, and there was no reason another shop shouldn’t be able to come in and thrive, rather than us struggling to keep our thread alive because of the nostalgia of what it used to be. In weeks to come it will become even more difficult for me, at least, to maintain the shop, because I’m not sure if I’ll have any free time as it is, much less will I have time to just relax AND sprite for the shop. I decided that we should let the shop die with dignity. Rather than one day having it fall out of existence and we just don’t bother to do anything about it, close it now.

I do apologize to those who still frequently visited the thread and Mewter, who against all odds, still tried to keep the thread active and fulfill requests…but I think it’s time for us to close.

The shop was great while it lasted, we had a great run. In the words of Zook, who will always be remembered as The Custom Pokémon Shop’s requester extraordinaire,

And what a great run it was.

Mewter

Smash Master
*Tears well up, and hands go up in a standing ovation, which slowly builds into a large auditorium-filling applause*
That was a bittersweet read. :(

Thanks Firus, Spire, Bowser, MK, Zrky (arrrgh, higher post count), it was fun. :)

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I never visited that thread, but your post was pretty epic to read man.

Like what Mewter said. lol.

JOE!

Smash Hero
i loved teh shop, so much cool stuff to look over...you guys were so creative with the sprites...

you also gave me my sig :D

Clownbot

Smash Lord
*waits for some huge re-opening of the shop in a few months (which, ironically, will only have 1-2 of the original spriters)*

No, don't deny.... It has to happen. D:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Noooooo!
Bbbut that's where the mad Pokémon like Madachu came from...

Also, it was just a plain awesome idea and was successful for a reason. I think everyone who went there appreciates all the hard work you put into it.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I seriously started tearing up after reading all that.

I always feel that people who never actually visited the CPS or just visited it to make requests didn't understand what the thread was about. It was not only a sprite factory, but far more. The CPS was a social thread; the regulars there got to meet new people they otherwise would never have met. In fact, I think that most of my best eFriends come from that shop. The CPS was a Pokemon Center culture all its own- I can think of 3 social groups, at least a dozen memes, pics, and inside jokes that sprung up from it, which can still be seen being used in the PC and elsewhere even today.

The CPS was even a place for (mostly) friendly debates. We've discussed everything there, from the best Pokemon Generation (2nd gen always won, but I always pushed for 3rd) to religion.

I'd like to take some time to thank/make shout outs to the members.

Firus: I know we've had a ton of arguements in the past, but I think we're still pretty cool, right? I've always thought you were the best fusion-spriter out of the bunch, personally, but I've never said it. Thanks for making the thread, and good luck to any other art projects you start in the future.

You also tackled most of my sprite requests, which I gotta give you credit for. :D

Spire: You're an amazing artist, be it sprites or photoshops. Ha, I never thought I'd never meet another person who knew who Klayman (-men?) was! See you around FB, or the LoD, or anywhere, really. You seem to be everywhere I turn.

MK: You need to get on Facebook more.

...But really, it's been amazing watching your ability in the CPS grow. Also, I'm still working on that little thing we always hint to each other on FB, so... Don't think I'm not trying, 'k man? :)

zrky: Smash lol'd. xD Thanks for making the CPS Group, it gaves us a lot of free time to shoot the **** during downtime. You've always been like the lil' mascot of the CPS. :3

Mewter: Scratcher extrodinaire! You've produced some of the most impressive scratches I've ever seen. I hope to see more from you in the future.

burger bowser king: Most Improved, without a doubt.

I consider all of you guys to be amonst my innermost eFriend group, and feel free to hit me up on AIM/Facebook/Shoddy/Brawl/failed potatoephone anytime.

Yes, it's true, I plan on making a new sprite shop. Not to be better than the CPS, but rather to continue its legacy.

If any of you have doubts about whether or not it will be as good as the Custom Pokemon Shop, just remember one tiny... little... thing:

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Thanks Zook.

Man, I feel so bad seeing this thread die. I owe so much to that thread, including a bunch of my online friends.

May the thread rest in piece.

-:bowser:Bowser King

karthik_king

Smash Ace
I remember...

Zook I once thought you were a troll with that wierd singing lady avatar and you caused like 50 request on one day.

My first post was a request in the CPS.

We talked about Latin, Spanish, religion, and random stuff that we all have forgotten about. So I ask that this great thread be archived due to the fact we share such great memories in it.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
The CPS was really the first group I became a part of in SWF. I've moved on since then, and (sadly) only talk to a few of the people who used to regular there. It was a great place though, and I hope that one day, it's revived. Be it by Firus or somebody else, I think a part of me will always want it to come back.

D

Deleted member

Wow. It was always cool just lurking there. Now I'm never gonna visit the Poké Center...

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Gotta love lacking an internet connection for two days. -_-

*Tears well up, and hands go up in a standing ovation, which slowly builds into a large auditorium-filling applause*
That was a bittersweet read. :(

Thanks Firus, Spire, Bowser, MK, Zrky (arrrgh, higher post count), it was fun. :)
Yeah, it was...I'll never forget it.

I never visited that thread, but your post was pretty epic to read man.

Like what Mewter said. lol.
Haha, thanks.

i loved teh shop, so much cool stuff to look over...you guys were so creative with the sprites...

you also gave me my sig :D
Thanks.

Indeed a great run it had but let's not dwell on the the fact it's over but rather celebrate the long prosperous life it had.

CPS you will be missed.
Yeah, it lasted over a year...it wasn't fully active for that whole period, but it still had a long life.

Noooooo!
Bbbut that's where the mad Pokémon like Madachu came from...

Also, it was just a plain awesome idea and was successful for a reason. I think everyone who went there appreciates all the hard work you put into it.
Well, technically I just made those on my own, but nevertheless I doubt I would've thought of doing so if it weren't for TCPS in the first place.

And, thanks. I really hope they did.

I seriously started tearing up after reading all that.

I always feel that people who never actually visited the CPS or just visited it to make requests didn't understand what the thread was about. It was not only a sprite factory, but far more. The CPS was a social thread; the regulars there got to meet new people they otherwise would never have met. In fact, I think that most of my best eFriends come from that shop. The CPS was a Pokemon Center culture all its own- I can think of 3 social groups, at least a dozen memes, pics, and inside jokes that sprung up from it, which can still be seen being used in the PC and elsewhere even today.
Yes, I can definitely confirm this. If it had just been a sprite factory, it would never have lasted this long and it would've been so much less memorable.

The CPS was even a place for (mostly) friendly debates. We've discussed everything there, from the best Pokemon Generation (2nd gen always won, but I always pushed for 3rd) to religion.
Yup, that we did.

Firus: I know we've had a ton of arguements in the past, but I think we're still pretty cool, right? I've always thought you were the best fusion-spriter out of the bunch, personally, but I've never said it. Thanks for making the thread, and good luck to any other art projects you start in the future.

You also tackled most of my sprite requests, which I gotta give you credit for. :D
Dude, of course! I can only think of one argument, and that was pretty petty on my part anyways. We're totally cool.

I really appreciate that you think I was the best fusion-ist, too.

Haha, that I did. You always had some challenging (yet hilarious) requests. =P

I consider all of you guys to be amonst my innermost eFriend group, and feel free to hit me up on AIM/Facebook/Shoddy/Brawl/failed potatoephone anytime.
Okay. =)

Lolfailedpotatoephone

Yes, it's true, I plan on making a new sprite shop. Not to be better than the CPS, but rather to continue its legacy.

If any of you have doubts about whether or not it will be as good as the Custom Pokemon Shop, just remember one tiny... little... thing:
Yeah...It would be hard for anything to imitate what TCPS once was, but I really appreciate that something's continuing its legacy. I don't think I'd feel right closing down the thread and just having the concept die.

And yes. Zook ALWAYS wins.

Spire

III
BRoomer
The Poke Center would not be what it is today without The Custom Pokemon Shop. There was a golden age of the PC, when imaginations ran amuck and Pokemon was not based on statistics, but rather concepts. From this age emerged the sudden desire to create custom Pokemon sprites, first by Firus and I. We decided to create the shop, not knowing how successful it would be. Then Burger King came along, Mewter, and MK, and we had our quintet spriting team (zrky came later to replace me). Through the hundreds of pages, we drew more and more people from every corner of SWF. Some of these visitors stayed in the PC and helped it to grow.

The CPS evolved the Poke Center like no other. It captured the imaginations of absolutely countless visitors, with hundreds and hundreds of sprites to prove it. The CPS drew spammers too, which drew mods, and eventually, the staff seemed to recognize that the PC needed more moderation, seeing as how we had just about none for several months. With this came the fortifying and restructuring of the Pokemon community and forum, and so here we are now. The PC has become something very different and advanced, but no longer can it house the shop.

I've not been an active member for a long time, but I will surely miss the place. Great job Firus, Mewter, MK, and zrky. I surely wouldn't be the artist I am today if it weren't for my experiences in the shop. I can honestly say I learned a lot from drawing even small sprites. It goes to show that no matter how large something may be, it really is the smallest pieces that matter the most.

You guys all rock. A toast to the future!

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I totally agree, Spire. I think the shop gave something to everyone who visited it, and we really started up some amazing activity in the PC.

That said, I'd just like to add something; I'm not sure how often it'll happen, but I do want to keep the shop open and post any of my new sprites there. I probably won't bump it to do so or ask for critique or anything, but just use it as a place to display my works. The other members may feel free to do so as well.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Why does every important thing that involves the CPS, always happen when I'm on vacation:ohwell:

I will sorely miss all the activity and some of the great people I have met. Firus, I remember I asked you for critique way back forever and a half ago and Im glad I did, I think if I hadn't done that I never would have gotten to be the decent spriter I am today. Spire, I know you probably know what Im going to say but... you are an amazing artist! BK, I never talked to you much, but I think we can always get along. Mewter, when I first saw your sprites, I wondered how far you would go with spriting, and now, I realize you are very talented for this art:) MK, I know you didn't like me sometimes, but your a great guy and now I kind of appreciate your harsh critique when I first posted my sprites.
Zook, what can I say:)
Xace, stealth, LB, green, karthik, you guys were and still are great people.

Long live the CPS!

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Spire, I know you probably know what Im going to say but... you ate an amazing artist!
I always wondered how he got to be such a great artist...now we know!

=P

mzink*

Smash Ace
CPS was a great part of this site. My thanks to you guys for having the inspiration, creativity and motivation to make it what it was. It was one of those threads that I was always popping into to check out what was going on and check out the neat new sprites, as well as request a few for myself.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Aw man....what was this amazing thing I missed? *skims over first post*

Hm. Yes, some of these sprites are quite good. Many need some work to be better, but they all look good.

I wish I had come during it's height in popularity. :( BTW, that was a beautiful post, Firus.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
There is no problem with necroing blogs if you have something to say.

However if you necro with something like "BAMP" or a random one liner, you'll get infracted.

Apart from that, blogs aren't like old threads which may be deemed redundant or useless. Technically, no blog really has a use, so if a blog gets bumped, it really isn't a big deal.

Unless it was an old spam blog that slipped the mod radar.

Top Bottom