• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spadefox to Onishiba - About my Nickchange

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Link to original post: [drupal=2196]Spadefox to Onishiba - About my Nickchange[/drupal]

So yea, several people have already seen that I have changed my nickname from Spadefox to Onishiba.

Since I recieved a lot of VMs while I was sleeping (which I expected to, you're so predictable) about this, I already decided yesterday to write a blog as to why I decided to do a nickchange, but was too tired.

First of all, I will tell you about my former nickname, "Spadefox".
Since I was a kid, I would easily like the cards symbol Spades, and always associate with it. It really started with a double set of carnival costumes my father and me created, where he would be the card King of Hearts and I would be the King of Spades. After this, I would use the Spades symbol or its name to identify myself quickly, including online games, and after a long while, the symbol evolved into a character of myself with the same name, who would have a tatoo in the shape of it giving him the nickname.
Now, I like foxes a lot. And this character is a fox, you see. So when I (re-)signed up on SWF, and didn't have a good nickname, I decided to choose the name of my character. Since "Spade" was filled, I chose to go with "Spadefox" (Spade, the fox, easy, no?). I loved the character and it was easy for me to associate with him, so I had no problem in being named "Spade" or "fox" or whatever.
The rest is history most of you people know.

Fast forward to a little while ago (before Premium was released). Since a few months, I've started to less associate with my character Spade. He became less a sort of alter ego and more into something he actually was - a character I use for several things. He now has an own backstory, a brother, and usually doesn't go by "Spade" anymore, too. I still love him, of course. But I started to feel disconnected with my nickname, however... I kinda accepted it because I couldn't change it and my nick was how many people knew me and have me in their memories. That was when I started to use "Godot" as a tag in Brawl, too.

Suddenly, the information about Premium is posted. Among them, the nickchange. I was excited, as I finally could cut off that tight connection I still was forced to have and make it into the loose connection I desired. I now would go by a different nickname. I first pondered Godot like my tag, but I decided against it. After a long thought process, however, I chose "Onishiba".
Onishiba is, as you might expect, Japanese. "Oni" means "demon" and "Shiba" is the common abbreviation of a Japanese dog breed called Shiba Inu. So basically it means "demon dog".

The base of this is a villain character from an anime series called "Onmyou Taisenki". I've grown to love this character and based my new alter ego off of him. You have seen those dogs wearing glasses in my avatars, before I chose the armadillo one, right? Well, those are all were either pictures of Onishiba himself (like the current one) or were from my own character.

I decided upon this nick simply because I feel that it's associating more to me than "Spadefox" did. It was a strong bond to my nickname which got cut, so I decided to go with a new one which I have another strong bond with now.
I don't care whether you people don't like it or not, I feel good with it, and I don't desire to go back to Spadefox.

That is all.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
"Oh, I'm woman now BTW."

Well, I'll support the name change if you do, but man, this will be some major adjusting... uhm, Onishiba.

This is weird.

DarkAura

Smash Lord
whatever you say demon dog xD thats what im callin you from now on so get used to it :p

i still like spadefox a bit better cause it just looked better on top of your avvy

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Well... I do love Shiba Inus.

I'll try to adjust.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Make your custom title "Spadefox" for those of us who like that name please.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I still prefer Spadefox, but I can adjust I guess, since it's still you on the inside :3

Though one thing:

It was a strong bond to my nickname which got cut, so I decided to go with a new one which I have another strong bond with now.
Yeah, you're not going to be changing your nickname every time you "fall in love" with another character, are you? It's one thing to change your avatar, but if you constantly change a nickname, it's like keeping yourself from having an identity here.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Can you stop saying "constantly"? It's not like I'm going to change my nickname every few days.
I hate people assuming just because I do it one time that I'm going to do it all over the place.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Can you stop saying "constantly"? It's not like I'm going to change my nickname every few days.
I hate people assuming just because I do it one time that I'm going to do it all over the place.
You never now, Mr. Onishiba.

I'm still gonna call you Spadez whenever I reply to you in the future.

Dokutayuu

Smash Apprentice
Yay for Japanese names!

I acquired mine last year after I realized there were always about 10 other people on the internet with my previous names.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Hmm I preferred Spadefox haha.
No offence to people that have them, but I have a general distaste for Japanese style nicknames. It's just so freaking typical! >.<

Well... unless you're Japanese, then please be my guest.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I agree.
they almost never stick are way too overused.
but
at least it's not
xXOn15h1baXx
That sounds like some Xbox Live CoD clan name. In fact, I'd rather have that than Onishiba.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Hey guys I changed my name too.
Cause I am awesome.

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
Hmm I preferred Spadefox haha.
No offence to people that have them, but I have a general distaste for Japanese style nicknames. It's just so freaking typical! >.<

Well... unless you're Japanese, then please be my guest.
I agree with Teran. *Try finding the irony here >.>*
Mine was made up by my big bro because I'm absolutely horrible with nicknames and wanted a single static one... Because I'd always need to go on hotmail to check on my usernames and passwords on forums.

Now, I absolutely hate it... But my bad memory tells me to keep it as it is. :embarrass

Onishibaaaa....
I prefer Spadefox. That sounded cool...

Yay for Japanese names!

I acquired mine last year after I realized there were always about 10 other people on the internet with my previous names.
Noooo for japanese name D:.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Now it's not SpadeFox, it's OniShiba?

Fine, I guess. As long as I can capitalize the first letter of the second word against your will, heheheh...

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'd would be too hilarious if everyone simply ignored the name change and still called him Spadefox. :laugh:

Wut

I didn't see this anywhere in the blog. Is it true?
I was just comparing the name change to a sex change - it's pretty drastic.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I'd would be too hilarious if everyone simply ignored the name change and still called him Spadefox. :laugh:
I always call ADHD by his old username, 'ChromePirate' lol.
I will come up with a mish mash nickname like ShibaFox, or something :)

Vyse isn't my original nickname either.

It used to be vyse.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
@Inui and Meno:
Great, then I simply won't be responding to anyone who calls me like that. :3

Edit: Also, last post in this and any other blog.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
What the hell is this? I will continue to call you Spade irl jfyi (if you don't mind).

@DMG

At least your new name makes some sense lol

:059:

.Marik

is a social misfit
At least "Spadefox" was slightly original and has a more interesting story behind it.

Now you sound like a weeaboo. :(

My name is cliched as hell, and I've always wanted to be known as "Extermination". :[

Oh well.

Spadefox.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Spadefox sounded like a badass assassin...

But Onishiba sounds like a feminine soldier or somethin...

dunno...

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Konichiwa

Onishiba

OMG sounds SUPER similar lolol.

Ily Spade... I mean Onishiba. :)

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I always call ADHD by his old username, 'ChromePirate' lol.
I will come up with a mish mash nickname like ShibaFox, or something :)

Vyse isn't my original nickname either.

It used to be vyse.

I've always wanted to be Bowser King instead of bowser king. That's a pretty big reason why I'm going to be getting PM soon (hopefully).

-:bowser:Bowser King

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Personally, I don't know if I could go with a name change. I've changed my name ALL over the internet on all forums, save for this one, and I think it's kind of redundant to keep changing. I mean, we all keep changing, but we always keep our true names. It would be difficult for people to adjust.

Which is why I'm most likely not changing my name. It's a common fact among friends and I that I have a bajillion names, so I may get away with it, as long as I use a past name. Because of my name changing I even wrote all of them on my GC controller for lolz.

Top Bottom