• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

Jane

Smash Hero

█▄█ █ █▀█ █▄█ █▀█ █▀█
█▀█ █ █▀▀ █▀█ █▄█ █▀▀

stolen from the yoshi social thread
-----------------------------------------------------------​

COME IN TO OUR CHAT ROOM FOR GOOD TIMES!

http://xat.com/WorldSmashHipHop

-----------------------------------------------------------​

are you a hip hop head and love the culture/music/history of hip hop?

or maybe you just enjoy the stuff, or like to dance to it, or something.

or maybe you hate it xD

LETS DISCUSS HIP HOP MUSIC AND ALL OF ITS CHILDREN!

me personally? well seeing as i made this thread you could probably guess that i love hip hop. and i consider myself a knowledgeable hip hop head. i love all kinds of rap, from the radio club bangers like lil wayne, drake, gucci mane, to the underground rap like a tribe called quest, del, wu tang. and this is a VERY VERY VERRRRRRRRRRY short list of what i listen to.

so bring up your favorite rapper, how you hate ______, post up links to your favorite/latest tracks, favorite producers, bring up rap beefs, do what you gotta do.

k, DO IT UP !

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Hip Hop is pretty good, easy to dance to, but I'm more into RnB and Soul. Like Chris Brown, Bobby Valentino, Jackie Boyz and the hundreds of artist named Mario.

Jane

Smash Hero
Umbreon: when i first clicked on the link i had no idea what i was about to listen to, but as i started listening i quickly recognized the beat - the souls of mischief use that beat! :D ever listen to them? underground bay hip hop at its very very finest.

choknater: lauryn hill is one of the few female emcees i can actually listen to and enjoy, i loved the fugee's album "the score". classic. talib as of late hasn't been doing it for me, i think his best work will always be when he teamed up with mos def for blackstar. i loooove blackstar. :]

Jane

Smash Hero
(double-post... whatever :p)

mcdingus have you heard that new song break up by mario? i am currently OBSESSED with that song! so sick!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Right now my favorite song is "Forgive Them Father" by Lauryn Hill. :) I find it very powerful.

Sinatra'

Smash Apprentice
"5 poppin 6 droppin" I'm more into underground stuff, three six mafia, Immortal technique, Nujabes, Knowmads, and of course you have to have the old school stuff in there, NWA!

Jane

Smash Hero
choknater: nice! i love the reggae-esque soul that she incorporates into her singing/rapping

ETWIST: ANNNTE UP! YAP THAT FOO! hahahah i always wondered what the hell they meant by "yap" lol. GREAT song for smashing though! that **** will pump you up!

Sinatra: three 6 is great, but only their old stuff, their new stuff makes me gag... *shudders at "lollipop"* but immortal technique, ohh man, not enough can be said about technique... all three of his official albums are crack, and all his unreleased stuff as well. and NWA of course of course!

never really listened to nujabes or knowmads, recommend me something from them?

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
Sup, I think rap today is horrible, I listen to Pac constantly. His message was that people need to get out of the hood and try to make a better life for themselves. Now the rappers today just totally diss Pac it seems. They try to say that everything is cool in the hood. They should sag their pants. They should shoot people, be in gangs where they have to be jumped just to get in.

Rap is in a horrible state right now.

Jane

Smash Hero
ETWIST: my mind is playing tricks on me is a classic. and that nujabes track was tight, i'm gonna find more of his ****.

CRASHiC: i like that flying lotus track! gonna check him out aswell.

Kingdom Come: don't get me wrong, i love pac. but pac was doing and saying all those gangster things back in his day. yeah he also had songs about peace and love, but everyone nowadays does too.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
True, your very right Jane.

But the people these days take it to the next level. The people these days are telling you it's ok to be a *******, look at little wayne for example. He talks like a *******. He sags his pants like a ******. I don't remember Pac sagging his pants......

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
gotta put some underground peoplez on

Heltah Skeltah - Twinz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F6j8YnoXIU

Heltah Skeltah - Ruck N' Roll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WkzMVIy1D0

Little Brother feat. Chaundon - Can't Stop Us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzPTWeoY85U&feature=channel_page

Papoose - Alphabetical Slaughter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLklnMWl63k&feature=channel_page

You might not like this next one, its a southern group that never got famous in the 90's. The 3rd dude rips it. The song loops for no reason.

Dirty Ft. Rich Boy - He Want Da Money

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JTV37Tb-UE

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
(double-post... whatever :p)

mcdingus have you heard that new song break up by mario? i am currently OBSESSED with that song! so sick!
Hmm searched my music library and couldn't find it, I'll check it out.

Immortal Technique is amazing, som much depth and meaning in the lyrics, Dance with the Devil was shocking and You never Know was so sad. Great songs. I recommend them both.

Jane

Smash Hero

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Oh god I hate anything rap or rappish... I guess I like hip hop but rap I hate, and I also very despisivly hate Regeton (thats how its spelled?) I hate all the regeton singers like daddy yankee and what not

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
Well, believe it or not I think Pac mighta been kinda fruity towards the end of his life. I have the utmost respect for him but this is just how I feel.

Also, Mario is soooooooo freaking awesome I love his music (no homo). I don't really care for Break-up though because Gucci Mane is a horrible rapper and his part on that song was absolutely garbage.

But, rap today is horrible there are only a select few rappers that I can really actually listen to without hearing the same crap over and over and over. Kanye West, Cassidy, Andre 3000, Sometimes T.I., Jay-Z, Lupe Fiasco,Ludacris.

I think that's all I listen to *runs to get ipod*

EDIT: I listen to Pac, but I was referring to the living.

day-day

Smash Ace
Well, believe it or not I think Pac mighta been kinda fruity towards the end of his life. I have the utmost respect for him but this is just how I feel.

Also, Mario is soooooooo freaking awesome I love his music (no homo). I don't really care for Break-up though because Gucci Mane is a horrible rapper and his part on that song was absolutely garbage.

But, rap today is horrible there are only a select few rappers that I can really actually listen to without hearing the same crap over and over and over. Kanye West, Cassidy, Andre 3000, Sometimes T.I., Jay-Z, Lupe Fiasco,Ludacris.

I think that's all I listen to *runs to get ipod*

EDIT: I listen to Pac, but I was referring to the living.

Idk about the Tupac being fruity thing lol Why you think he was fruity out of curiosity?
Mario's killing it right now, I would download Break-up but I can't stand Gucci Mane. Everyone down here in the south thinks he's the greatest rapper to come out of here and they go crazy when he releases a mixtape. He's terrible and I get so sick of looking at his ugly face and hearing "Yeeeaaahh!" 50 times in the song.
You pretty much listed the only artist worth listening to that's mainstream.

Thino do you like any other southern artist?

Jane

Smash Hero
hahaha i used to not like reggaeton. but my brother, thats like his genre so i warmed up to it lol. yeah, its definitely not for everyone haha.

Kingdom Come: i love love looove kanye, no matter how arrogant or how much of a b*tch he is in real life, the man knows how to produce music, and is a lyrical beast to boot. cassidy is tight, andre 3k is one of the best emcees ever to grace the mic hes in my top 5 forsure, i agree on TI, hes alright sometimes lol, lupe's sick, and ludacris is also one of my favorite rappers. i like your taste! :D

McDingus: told ya :D

Thino: oh god soulja boy... lol, really one of the only rappers i have zero respect for.

but yeah ludacris and outkast i had maaaad love for

day day: hahaha i get what you mean by everyone thinking hes the ****, its the same over here! but i dont know about in the south, but over here no one will stfu about DRAKE. hes a good rapper and all but its like lil wayne last year all over again @_@ haha.

Sinatra'

Smash Apprentice
Mos Def!!! I recently started listening to him.

I've been listening to Lions of Hip hop like three times a day now...

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
Kingdom Come: i love love looove kanye, no matter how arrogant or how much of a b*tch he is in real life, the man knows how to produce music, and is a lyrical beast to boot. cassidy is tight, andre 3k is one of the best emcees ever to grace the mic hes in my top 5 forsure, i agree on TI, hes alright sometimes lol, lupe's sick, and ludacris is also one of my favorite rappers. i like your taste! :D
Yea my music taste is of high quality, cause I don't like ******* like Lil Wayne, Soulja Boy, or Gucci Mane.

I also like a little bit of Rick Ross and Game just depends on the song, and I like Jeezy's older stuff his new stuff really isn't worth mentioning. Aside from Kanye's verse in "Put On" I didn't really care for it, the beat got worn out too fast.

Drake is pretty good, but I wouldn't hold him up to a high standard. I thought he destroyed Wayne on Ransom though which was a good song and Wayne actually did good on it until he said the alphabet <_<

Papoose Pap is pretty good, I love "I Get Gully" the only bad thing about it is everybody did a freestyle to that beat.

EDIT: IDC too much for Big Boi, I think he has always kinda held back 3 Stacks.

day-day

Smash Ace

day day: hahaha i get what you mean by everyone thinking hes the ****, its the same over here! but i dont know about in the south, but over here no one will stfu about DRAKE. hes a good rapper and all but its like lil wayne last year all over again @_@ haha.
Don't worry everyone has Drake on a pedestal down here too. He's good I'll give him that but he's not the savior of hip-hop/rap that everyone makes him out to be. Down here if a songs by Wayne, Gucci Mane, or Drake then it's the greatest thing to ever be made until something else comes on. :ohwell:

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
I've had problems with rap all my life. I've never lived in an inner city, but my father Aldo was born and raised in Detroit. Back in 1954 through 1979 (a quarter century!), it was fairly violent, even without rap. You had your old-style thieves, racial tensions, and some police brutality. I'm no expert on urban hip-hop culture, but I can only imagine: when those rap stars sag their pants, a handful of men... Ah mess it, I can't say it around children.

Anyways, I somewhat fell for rap culture in late 199X (X is a wild card here, it can mean any digit from 0-9), but it never truly caught on with me. If I ever embrace any type of rap, it'll be old school rap from before I was born.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
Well, unless your a kid or person with no common sense than the rap today will never be of your taste. I would say some Biggie or Pac for you. Unless you wanna go waaaaaay back to the 80's/

Frank West

Smash Apprentice
Well, unless your a kid or person with no common sense than the rap today will never be of your taste.
lol no offense but you sound pretty ignorant.

Honestly the whole "omg hip hop is dead/todays rap suxx!" thing is getting kinda old. If you listen to more lyrical rappers like Nas, Common etc. more power to you. They certainly are the more talented side of Hip-Hop. But there really isn't a need to put down southern rappers who aren't geared to be lyrical. It's like comparing Hardcore Metal to Alternative Rock. The two sub-genre's aim for different things. Gucci Mane's subject matter pertains to his experiences and are aimed at a different audience then say Talib Kweli. If you aren't part of the audience it's aimed for then your criticisms of the music really hold no merit. I also find it strange you like an oaf like Rick Ross, but not Lil Wayne. But at least we can agree Soulja Boy sucks....But that being said, there is still an amazing amount of lyrical talent in hip-hop today(Wale, Wiz Khalifa, Little Brother, etc.). Southern rappers just seem get more of the media attention.

And about sagging, It's definitely a trend that has long since died. lol no one does that anymore. No not even south rappers.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
...Then perhaps we should be arguing about why the media favors covering the southern rappers and what we can do to reverse that trend.

Sinatra'

Smash Apprentice
And about sagging, It's definitely a trend that has long since died. lol no one does that anymore. No not even south rappers.
I see people sagging all the time... where do you live? Haiti?

Frank West

Smash Apprentice
I see people sagging all the time... where do you live? Haiti?
but I feel it's definitely more frowned upon nowadays than it used to be. Where I live they make fun of people still sagging.

...Then perhaps we should be arguing about why the media favors covering the southern rappers and what we can do to reverse that trend.
imo It's album sales really. Record labels give more marketing attention to those who sell the most records. Unfortunately atm that seems to be snap dance/party artists like Soulja Boy etc. But I guess the consumer is to blame for that. Doesn't really bother me though. Real hip hop fans dig deep to find mixtapes and albums of the good artists despite what's getting played 24/7 on the radio.

Jane

Smash Hero
Honestly the whole "omg hip hop is dead/todays rap suxx!" thing is getting kinda old. If you listen to more lyrical rappers like Nas, Common etc. more power to you. They certainly are the more talented side of Hip-Hop. But there really isn't a need to put down southern rappers who aren't geared to be lyrical. It's like comparing Hardcore Metal to Alternative Rock. The two sub-genre's aim for different things. Gucci Mane's subject matter pertains to his experiences and are aimed at a different audience then say Talib Kweli. If you aren't part of the audience it's aimed for then your criticisms of the music really hold no merit. I also find it strange you like an oaf like Rick Ross, but not Lil Wayne. But at least we can agree Soulja Boy sucks....But that being said, there is still an amazing amount of lyrical talent in hip-hop today(Wale, Wiz Khalifa, Little Brother, etc.). Southern rappers just seem get more of the media attention..
haha wow, beautifully said.

KillaLotus

Smash Cadet
Sup, I think rap today is horrible, I listen to Pac constantly. His message was that people need to get out of the hood and try to make a better life for themselves. Now the rappers today just totally diss Pac it seems. They try to say that everything is cool in the hood. They should sag their pants. They should shoot people, be in gangs where they have to be jumped just to get in.

Rap is in a horrible state right now

I'm wit U on this I listen 2 Nas,AZ,kool G rap,Big Pun

Top Bottom