• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recording Like A Champ

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
How To Record Like A Champ:

well people always ask me, what kind of equipment i use and whatnot for recording and commentating.

so i figured i'd make a thread on it

well first i start off with the equipment i use

HMW Stuff:
-Dazzle Capture Card
-Pinnacle Studio(The software for the Dazzle)
-A Headset(of any kind)
-Windows Movie Maker
-A Sound Recorder

What You Need:
-A Capture Card of any kind
-A Headset(of any kind)
-Windows Movie Maker
-A Sound Recorder

Finding a Sound Recorder:
Vista Users:
For Vista users its actually the easiest for commentary, since vista's default sound recorder has an unlimited amount of time usage, all you have to do is use the sound recorder that came with the computer.

To find it

click the start button and type "sound recorder" in the search bar. It should have a mic as an icon, then you can just use that for commentary

XP Users:
It's a bit harder since xp's default sound recorder caps out so you can't really use it, but it's not that much harder

i found a legit Sound Recorder
here it is
http://www.sound-recorder.biz/freesoundrecorder.html

this is pretty much just like the one on vista

with this program it usually lets you name your file before you start, but if you get problems to where it doesnt name your file at all, just record whatever it is your recording then rename it when you are finished.

Mac Users:
I feel bad because i honestly don't know any Mac Sound Recorders, but i'm positive there is something out there

Recording The Video:
Well for those of you who have capture cards are already a step ahead and don't really need to read this part, but for those who don't have anything should really look at the part

well for recording i use a dazzle, but there are also others such as gamebridge and other capture cards as well, so get whatever is easy for you

for those looking into a dazzle i suggest buying this kind
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSi...Video+Archiving/Dazzle+Video+Creator+Plus.htm

it comes with the Dazzle and the Pinnacle Studio

for those who have a capture card with no software and can't afford the dazzle watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEpwjlpWRyw

once you have all that setup you can record videos!

Editing:
Once you recorded commentary and video, you'll have to sync it, movie maker is the only program that I used that records video with commentary, but it can shut down sometime, and lag and stuff, plus the quality isnt as good so I use the pinnacle/sound recorder and then edit it with movie maker.

when you import the video click "cancel" immediately so it wont break into clips(video only, you don't have to do this with sound)

once you've imported everything sync the commentary with video(if you did do commentary)

Go to "set audio levels"

For No Commentary:
Set your audio levels to all video(this way you can hear sound for both speakers/headphones instead of one)

For Commentary:
Set your audio levels to all audio(unless you want partial sound from the gameplay then do it however you like)make sure you turn the TV up or put the laptop close while commentating(but not too close to the players) so you can hear sounds(like fox's shine, marths sword, peach throwing turnips) so you can know where to sync it.

For Uploading in High Quality with Movie Maker

Go To "Tools", "Options", and click the "Advanced" tab

then click the "NTSC" bubble and 16'9 bubble

once you are done with your entire video, go to "save to my computer"

name your file

once you did that you will be in Movie Settings, then click "other settings"

and choose "high quality video(large)" then save you finished video

then you can upload it to youtube

use youtube bulk uploader if you have a bunch of videos

then everyone is happy watching epic videos

thank you for reading this and i hope it helped

Good Luck!!! :) :) :) :) :)

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Good guide ;)--a quick question though. Are you considering recording your matches in higher quality (viz planning to use a new recording apparatus) anytime soon?

Thanks. :)

Vorosh

Smash Apprentice
just to tack onto this post. If you hate Window's Movie Maker because its too slow or crashes too often, you might want to get Virtual Dub: http://www.virtualdub.org/
Its a bit more efficient and reliable, and a lot of people in the SC commentating community use it.

Also, if you need an audio recorder for Mac, Linux, or Unix, or a better one for Windows, might I suggest Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

Top Bottom