• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's Week 11 Matchup: R.O.B

Padô

Smash Lord
This week we'll be taking this rusty machine:

R.O.B

(Put this in "DarkRed" because of the rustiness)

So... His tilts are anoying, so does his lasers but in the other hand, he will have a HARD time killing Wario since he can't save his Nair and Bair because they are the only moves that can punish Wario's airdodge well.

Grab **** this mofo if he is spamming Fairs or Spotdodge to DSmash. I really like DACUS in this match, it's a great approach but you have a lot of options like FullHop/DJ Dair, If he try to UpSmash you don't worry you are A LOT faster than him unfortunately we need to be aware of SH aproaches because his Ftilt has stupid range and almost no lag and the worst point outranges our Ftilt. Falling bites are really nice most of the ROBs will try to shield your Dair and Dsmash you the solution: OM NOM NOM.

The only thing you can do against ROB offstage is to rack up some damage because he WON'T get gimped.

Watch out for his gyro and his lasers while off the stage, they knock you out of the bike.

60-40 or 55-45 IMO

VOTES:

Padô, DMG, stnapknah, Masky, TheMike(ROB FORUMS) and Waffles:
60-40 or 55-45

Humpy(?):
60-40

I'll be getting the lower numbers in case of "X or Y", because being pessimist is a lot better then being optimist since you can't count with random advantages for you. For better explanation try reading something about contability.

stnapknah

Smash Journeyman
i used to think this was almost even, but ever since i started up-throwing robs, you can just pick up on their patterns, and juggle the hell out of them. other than that, it's a major pain in the *** to get close to them, but its doable. Just watch out for his OOS options, and maybe full hop your approaches and mix in a lite of bites. i think rob does best in this matchup if he camps (not just w/ projectiles, but w/ tilts and OOS options). as for numbers, 55-45 or 60-40.

seriously, you guys should really try up-throwing robs.

stnapknah

Smash Journeyman
lol, i didn't say he can't get around it. in my post i said that you can pick up on their patterns and just wait for them to airdodge and stuff. the point is, it limits his options. I never said he can't escape it so your post is just annoying.

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
I recently got a chance to play a pretty good ROB in the region in some friendlies. He was the first good ROB I've ever faced, but I think I learned enough to give a bit of advice.

Bite is really good in this match, but don't over use it. ROB loves to spotdodge DSmash. Very few characters can punish it effectively. Bite through the dodge and make them scared to use their GTFO move.

Hold onto the top. They use it to combo. If you have a button configuration that allows, then I suggest doing that thing where you can perform FSmashes while holding an item. I don't do it because I am not that technical, but I can see it helping a lot.

Don't sweat the lasers too much. At first I was approaching quickly and badly so that I wouldn't get hit by them. They really don't do that much damage and if you approach too quickly you'll probably get denied then hit with a laser anyway.

I need to try up throwing the next time I get to play a ROB. I still lost most of the matches, so don't take this too seriously.

Padô

Smash Lord
Thanks for the info guys.

The vote system will be edited on the first post on FRIDAY. Like the last system we had.
Advantage-Even will be taken as 55-45
Advantage will be taken as 60-40
The same for Disavantage and Disv-Even.

TheMike

Smash Lord
For ROB to Deal with Wario's Dair, he needs Ftilt OoS
ROB also needs attention and punishes Wario whenever he uses laggy moves

ROB's Tilts are just too good, as I said, Ftilt OoS to deal with Dair. Dtilt set ups for many things, such as Dash Attack(which also sets up for aerials/utilt) and Throws. At high %s, when ROB uses Dtilt and Wario trips, he can Grab him, Pummel and wait until he gets out with Air Grab Release, then just Usmash. But Wario can get out of the Air Grab Release > Usmash easily: just dn't tap X or Y. Than Wario you'll doa Ground Release. Air Grab Release > Usmash's still an option though.

Offstage.. both of them can rack up some damage as they have good EG options

Wario can combo ROB very well because he is big. Dair to Fthrow, Dair to Bite are really good options
Wario kills with Uair and Fsmash easier than ROB kills with Usmash, Nair ou Bair

Oh, Nair can beat Wario's airdodge and that's just too good =]

ROB needs to camp and approach at the right time. In other words, when Wario let him to do so using wrong attacks
Dsmash OoS when Wario shield pokes u and for punishes

IMO, 55:45 for Wario as he can rack up damage very easy and he has a annoying Air Game for the ROBs

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdnwiXJuT-E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBSKiNt5vQ0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUjlVLdh9l8&feature=related

i got lucky, but i learned the match up while i was playing..

bite works well, in air (like mike said) wario has the advantage. save your Fsmash because rob can out space you and punish your fsmash easily. find an opening, land behind him with ur down air, if he catches on to your dair game add in some bites while approaching, clap works really well when you are below rob, watch for the nair tho. fair>fart works well in this matchup since he doesnt have much that is fast enough to cancel it. if your bike is on the stage, that is a + imo because it can block the gyros, also if u know a gyro is coming.. nom nom.. approach with shield. match is mainly about control and air camping vs projectile camping, from what i have experienced.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Nobody so far has mentioned ROB's backair.

It's amazing. Seriously.

Just watching the last dyno vs Zom~b match, I can tell you that Zom~b used backair thirty-one times. And not ONCE was it punished. Backair is amazing against wario. It severely limits his approaches because it creates a wall AND pushes ROB away from wario. I think it's even more spammable than that. There's an old match with bombsoldier (yes, the melee one) playing ROB against a wario, and he spams it all day to perfection. It spaces, racks up damage, and makes it hard(er) for the wario to approach in the air.

To be fair, Zom~b's backair lost out once... but he jumped into the **** (right at the end). Even though it can be boring for the ROB, it's effective. That match (and the matchup) went like this: First stock, Zom~b does like 10 backairs, follows up when appropriate, and gets a lead. Eventually, he stops backairing (and SDs) losing the second stock. Suddenly, he remembers to spam Backair again and all of a sudden, he brings the entire match back after being almost a full stock behind.

Conclusion: ROB's bair is necessary in this matchup. If you're getting air camped by a wario, you're not Bairing right. It's hard for Wario to get around it when it autocancels into shield or angled fsmash

I would go 55-45 Wario, but if the ROB spams Bair a lot (have I mentioned that yet?), it's closer to 50-50.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Huh.

Last I played ZOM~B, it was more about the sitting under platforms.

Well, im not excited to see his new playstyle ;_;

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I played Hugs at Genesis and a few other ROBs back in the day like Sudai, It's around 55:45 or 60:40. It's very easy to abuse ROB when he is in the air, but on the ground he will make you work for your fair share of damage. Especially if they have impeccable spacing with Rob's Ftilt like Hugs does.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I punish backairs with upairs and fairs... Fair and Ftilt are better, bair is better to use to space when Warios are in kill range.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
SH Bair aimed away from you (Near tip range) is close to unpunishable, however they can only do this 2-3 times MAX before you start gaining a lot of free ground, which ROB cannot afford to give up so easily.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
^

Yea, a lot of this match, I feel, is about positional advantage.

When I play local ROBs, I feel like I can be loosing/gaining an advantage on him without trading hits. I like to hover in a safe zone, which isn't so far as to make you not a thread (he'll spam projectiles) but isn't close enough to get you hurt if he decides to retreat with an aerial... And i'll work from this zone.

I do that will all matchups though. But you can really feel gaining/loosing ground against ROB, and its something to consider, even if you don't get a hit, forcing him towards the edges is a good plan.

Padô

Smash Lord
The numbers are decided.

This topic can be used to answer some rob question.

Don't be a douche and vote now coz your votes are not going to be computed.

Final veredict, by 2/3 majority:

55-45

Gichan

Smash Champion
So with ROB it is about stage control huh. Cause his retreating fairs and prjectiles are annoying. His utilt is good at stopping the dair approach. in other words, ROB is too good at keeping us away. Although we can **** him up with comboss cause of his fatass, it is really hard sometimes to actually get in that position.

What is something one can do to gain gorund against ROB? Are stages with no platforms better than stages with platforms?

Neo X

Smash Apprentice
I play ROB as secondary, so I can say that as someone already mentioned, he is VERY bad in the air when above wario. ROB must be put in the air & baited since he has bad air games (which is a good way to pressure him). What a good ROB would do sometimes is B-Reversal to quickly change directions (like I do ^^ & its rarely seen by other ROBers). Also when recovering with the bike, ROB will either 1)try to bair wario off the bike, or 2) use his charged lazer to knock you out of it. Lastly, when ROB tries to recover horizontally, expect a nair or fair & try to punish them.

I hope this helped out.

Top Bottom