• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edgehog technique.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QACmLPWkXlM

I do this on occasion by complete accident when dash dancing near the edge. It seems like the fastest possible way to grab the ledge in melee. Would one of the more technical/knowledgeable players be able to recreate this on a regular basis, then explain how it's done?

*Edit* I don't have it captured on video, but I've been able to do a quicker version of Marth. While DDing near the ledge, Marth basically teleported into the ledge.

Pi

Smash Hero
That stage in particular because of the angles provides for really quick edgegrabbing
it isn't going to be any faster than wavedashing off or moonwalking off and FFing onto the ledge, in terms of getting from leaving the stage and grabbing the edge.

And all you gotta do to perform it is be moving toward the edge, then flick in the other direction right as you are about to fall off

Assuming you're talking about 0:42

I spose if you're in close proximity to the edge, then perhaps this might be a better option than wavedashing, if you're spot on with it

derfleurer

Smash Journeyman
I've done it with Fox on occasion while DDing. Seems if I dash and just tap the opposite direction right at the edge, he does his partial turnaround but continues in that direction, falls off, and grabs.

Dunno if that's what you're referring to. If so, it should be easier to find out by practicing with characters with low traction.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
That stage in particular because of the angles provides for really quick edgegrabbing
it isn't going to be any faster than wavedashing off or moonwalking off and FFing onto the ledge, in terms of getting from leaving the stage and grabbing the edge.

And all you gotta do to perform it is be moving toward the edge, then flick in the other direction right as you are about to fall off

Assuming you're talking about 0:42

I spose if you're in close proximity to the edge, then perhaps this might be a better option than wavedashing, if you're spot on with it
Pivoting is faster than WD.

Pi

Smash Hero
Pivoting is faster than WD.
I'm talking the time between your character leaving the stage, and grabbing the edge though
Pivoting doesn't make the fall speed faster or anything

To perform and all yea, pivoting is faster, but you also have to be within dash dance range and or walk to the edge

I spose you could run cc pivot if you were really intent on using it

ZoSo

Smash Champion
It's really fast, but you have to be within a dash's length of the edge as knihT pointed out.

I think the fastest way to edgehog if you have to run across the stage is running shine near the edge, turn around in your shine, jump out of shine while sliding over the edge. The last part cancels your jump animation so you just fall onto the edge. I think most people have probably had this happen to them in reversewhile doing nair shines near the edge. It sucks because it usually results in a falling nair which pretty much kills you no matter what.

Honestly, these are both pretty situational. You'll occasionally get a kill you otherwise wouldn't have, assuming you don't mess up. It's fun though.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
did it once cuz i couldn't get to the ledge quick enough otherwise
was pretty sex... and then another time I just kinda ran off the stage stupidly :(

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Pivoting onto the ledge out of a walk is easy as hell.

Pivoting out of a DD like I did is difficult.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yeah you can walk and then turnaround and the momentum will get you there
an actual pivot requires pretty precise spacing.

Pi

Smash Hero
It's really fast, but you have to be within a dash's length of the edge as knihT pointed out.

I think the fastest way to edgehog if you have to run across the stage is running shine near the edge, turn around in your shine, jump out of shine while sliding over the edge. The last part cancels your jump animation so you just fall onto the edge. I think most people have probably had this happen to them in reversewhile doing nair shines near the edge. It sucks because it usually results in a falling nair which pretty much kills you no matter what.

Honestly, these are both pretty situational. You'll occasionally get a kill you otherwise wouldn't have, assuming you don't mess up. It's fun though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhqZQSgu0J0&feature=related

vid juss demonstrates what this dood talkin bout

JPOBS

Smash Hero
^^ that is really cool i never knew that and it seems faster than shine turnaround wavedash edgehogs.

so what he's doing is dashing, crouching, shining, jumping, but for some reason the jump is cancel'ed off the ledge, and you just fall? sexy.

i must learn this.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I cant do it consistently, but I do find it easiest with Fox, and Marth.

Marth's is pretty interesting. It looks like he literally teleports onto the ledge.

I'm probably going to start putting some effort into figuring out how to do this sometime within the next few days.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Sounds cool. The Marth one works in the same way I assume? He's so floaty; I can imagine it looking quite strange.
Yeah.

I messed around with this with Axe for a while. It's actually very easy on Yoshis. I can't pull it off on other stages, except on accident.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It seems like it'd be easiest with characters who have a good dash dance (Fox, Falcon, Marth, DK, Roy, etc.)

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
The tutorial on youtube helped with this alot. Just sit down with it a bit and you'll get it down. I was spamming this all daaai at a tournament yesterday.

(or at least trying to)

derfleurer

Smash Journeyman
If you can do it, it completely outmodes wavedashing off the edge. You'll be using it in the exact same situations.

Lovage

Smash Hero
the PC edgehog (walking to an edge and turning so that you slide off) is amazingly useful and easy. it's godlike for edgeguarding sheik and marth. pivot drops are really hard to do, no one can do them consistently. i used to practice it with falcon and could do it like 50% of the time, but it's way too hard for a slight increase in speed.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Once I understand what makes them work, I'm confident that I should be able to implement it in my game

...At least on Yoshi's Story, anyways.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
i did pivot edgecancel into knee once... but it was just off a platform lol. still pretty fun stuff.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
On the subject of fast edgeguards, randomly during tech practice I've instantly grabbed the ledge after doing a nair in what looked to me like an edge cancel during which I somehow turned around yet with enough momentum to still slide off the edge. Has anyone had any experiences like this or can someone think of a reason why it wouldn't be possible? Unfortunately no vids >_<

I'm trying to imagine what button combination would make this possible, and after practicing in my room I can only think that its my controller's random flicking that MAYBE, through some glitch, registered two different directions for one frame.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
I would probably happen out of a shuffl that you dashed for. So you land and still have a bit of momentum near the edge. So land, edge cancel, turn around, keep sliding off. I do accidentally with Falcon's knee sometimes.

joeplicate

Smash Master
pivot edgehogs are probably too hard to pull off consistently

especially when running shine > turnaround wavedash off is really easy
so is running > wavedash towards PC drop
so is running > down cancel > walk forwards > pc drop
the shine turnaround jump cancel slide off method looks really cool though

to do the pivot edgehog, all you need to do is time an empty pivot exactly as you fall off the edge. I'd imagine it would work better with slidier characters, like ruby said it's easier with marth, because there's more momentum.

bolt.

Smash Ace
I was trying this with falcon on fd and ended up walljumping a couple times... <_<. I couldn't get the pivot though.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
I'm not sure but i think you might have to do an empty pivot like right on the ledge. As in dash forward, turn, and reset before the dash animation begins again. It seems to work for me.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
What use is fox on the ledge, his much more of a threat anywhere on the stage in neutral position.

Although in some situations like that one it's okay, since he probably wouldn't have expected an instant ledge reaction of some sort.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Captain Falcon is probably the easiest character to do this with. I can do it nearly on-command with Falcon on every neutral. FD and Yoshis are the easiest.

I noticed this when I was trying to moonwalk edgehog in a match, and did the motion too quickly.

Top Bottom