• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DHAI--Does Religion inadvertently promote bigotry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
I was planning to post this one for the DH, but decided to give the to the PG as well for a more lively debate amongst you. As such, I won't meddle in the debate, but I will point out any poor debating amongst you all as a method to help you improve.

The skinny: On November 5, 2008, California defined marriage as:
Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California."
Previous same-sex marriages still apply, though. There are also multiple lawsuits in courts which are pending. More information can be viewed here.

An interesting aspect is how Prop 8 got passed, and where the money came from to support it. For example
  1. CA's Roman Catholic Church supported it, despite reservations in the church itsself. Note that for this one clergy who expressed concerns about the prop was fired from his job.
  2. The Mormon community was very pivotal in the passing of Prop 8. They donated nearly $5 million in support of the amendment. Mormon churches also read a letter urging practitioners to help in the cause.
  3. The Eastern Orthodox Bishops of CA also supported the claim.
  4. Focus on the Family supported the amendment as well.
With that said, a definition of bigotry would be necessary. Given that bigotry is:
Irrational suspicion or hatred of a particular group, race, or religion.
And that any claims that in reference to homosexuality being "unnatural or immoral" (a reason that is sometimes stated for why people are against same-sex marriage) is entirely fallacious (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZWqQNRAoKY&feature=channel_page for some reasons on why this is true). The question is:

Is religion used as a guise to obfuscate people's bigotry towards certain groups of people?

Happy debating. :)

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Answering the topic title, from personal experience, I give a big fat resounding YES.

I was raised Mormon. I never actually said "I'm better than anyone else.", but since we had rules against smoking, drinking, homosexuality, etc, I couldn't help but think that anyone who smoked, drank, had tattoos or piercings, or was homosexual was a 'bad person'. You know, because they did 'bad things'. As such, deep down, I always considered myself a better person than those 'bad people'.

Of course that's not what the Mormon church teaches, but I was taught that as a little kid, and as a kid, you really don't really know the difference between disagreeing and accepting differences, and thinking that people who do 'bad things' are 'bad people'. Eventually, the confused kid grows up. They end up being extremely judgmental in the eyes of others, but they actually don't notice it. I was there.

What finally got me out of the gutter was the fact that I was actually gay. I tried hiding it, repressing it, and denying it from puberty until I was 19. The repression, and mental stress and agony that my Mormon brainwashing upbringing did to me was cataclysmic, and I hit rock bottom.

Prior to coming out of the closet, I was homophobic, I hated smokers (you can find some of my old posts on this website), I had no respect for drinkers, I thought tattoos were disgusting, and I thought pot smokers should be locked up.

Now that I've escaped the shortsighted church, I'm gay, smoke occasionally, drink, had piercings, want a tattoo, and am a huge defender for marijuana legalization.

I've never been happier. :)

Saying that the church is organized just to discriminate gay people, though? And that the only reason people join it is because they hate gays and need a reason? Hell no. I strongly believe that a lot of people need religion in their lives. It's saved tons. Its just unfortunate that its full of crazy bigots.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
It does it directly.

Its the basis of nearly every religion to view others as wrong, impure, and sinners. It directly causes racism. At least on the organized religion level.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Answering the topic title, from personal experience, I give a big fat resounding YES.

Saying that the church is organized just to discriminate gay people, though? And that the only reason people join it is because they hate gays and need a reason? Hell no. I strongly believe that a lot of people need religion in their lives. It's saved tons. Its just unfortunate that its full of crazy bigots.
Sorry if the OP was taken out of context. I am not trying to say that people become religious to promote their homophobia, but rather when people find out they have an outlet which tolerates it, they can sometimes take to it like moths to a light.

Am I allowed to post here? I made a post before I realized this was the PG.
Let's save the fun for th PGers as well (viz wait for them to post some). Good posts by Xsy & Crash though.

hillbillyhick

Smash Cadet
Every religion has an ethic code which tells you what behavior is right and what is wrong. So it's a natural consequence that religious people judge others. Of course everyone judges everyone, but normal morality usually follows trends in society (zeitgeist), while religious morality is much harder to change. It's usually lagging behind. Therefore, it often causes friction with society's moral views.

People already against homosexuality, abortion, etc may convert to certain religions encompassing these same views, however I think that's a rare case.

People already in religious groups, with no animosity towards homosexuality, abortion, etc I think are likely to develop hostility towards these views if they are not tolerated within their religion. This could be explained because of identification with the group and certain in-group out-group biases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingroup
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outgroup_(sociology)

When people's behavior is tolerated in society, there's no problem in expressing themselves. When it's not tolerated, these are some choices:
-you keep your mouth shut
-you change your opinion
-you look for a group in which your opinion is tolerated

I think the third one is very common (neo-nazis, KKK,...)
Also to avoid contradicting myself (see previous sentence and my second paragraph), I say that you don't need to convert to religion to express your homophobic views, as it's semi-tolerated and there are non-religious groups with this opinion too.

I think your initial question is a wrong one, as any group can be used as a guise to obfuscate people's bigotry towards certain groups of people. Religion is just more often that group.

Hooblah2u2

Smash Apprentice
Religion spoils some people, I won't lie. But it also makes more compassionate people. It really depends on if the person is in it for themselves, or for a greater purpose.

I don't think religion itself promotes discrimination of any sort (at least Christianity), but I do know that many people take religion and abuse to make it seem so.

It's the person.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Religion spoils some people, I won't lie. But it also makes more compassionate people. It really depends on if the person is in it for themselves, or for a greater purpose.

I don't think religion itself promotes discrimination of any sort (at least Christianity), but I do know that many people take religion and abuse to make it seem so.

It's the person.

Christianity has promoted discrimination, have you ever heard of the crusades? "Let's kill Islams because they don't believe in our god". To me that is blatant discrimination.

I do not think religion promotes bigotry (unless a Bigot started the religion), but the minute people who are bigots become a majority within the church. Then the churches views become distorted and biased.

I love how America despises Iran due to being a Theocracy, when America has some theocratic aspects within itself

It's the person.
Christians, sadly enough, actually do promote discrimination in a sense.
1. What The wrath of Koarin just said, that really is blatant discrimination, actually racism.

2. Did God not say "Love thy neighbour"? Also, Jesus apparently accepted all people. Many Christians are against homosexuals and Muslims. Homsexuals because Christians believe that being homosexual is sinful and immoral, even if they understand that one cannot change ones sexual orientation. See this page for more: http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/Heights/7608/, it is very intriguing to read.
What Christians do not realize is that both of their Religions are Abrahamic. Christians think that Islam rejects their leaders, which is not true.
Islam includes Moses and Jesus as well, as one of the leaders who aided the Prophet Muhammed climb the ladder through the Seven Levels of Paradise.

I will discuss more later.

Hooblah2u2

Smash Apprentice
Christianity has promoted discrimination
Those weren't God fearing Christians, they were wealth and power seeking terrorists. They let their position get to them, and it cost them. That was descrimination, but it was the people using Christianity as an excuse. It wasn't Christianity itself, but the people.

2. Did God not say "Love thy neighbour"? Also, Jesus apparently accepted all people.
He did, and we all should do the same. Christ loved those people and didn't treat them differently, but that doesn't mean He said that they could sin all they want, because they would be forgiven anyways.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Those weren't God fearing Christians, they were wealth and power seeking terrorists. They let their position get to them, and it cost them. That was descrimination, but it was the people using Christianity as an excuse. It wasn't Christianity itself, but the people.

He did, and we all should do the same. Christ loved those people and didn't treat them differently, but that doesn't mean He said that they could sin all they want, because they would be forgiven anyways.
People created Christianity, so Christianity should be judged on it's people.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Jesus created Christianity.
If God (and his own son) are so perfect, why'd it take 300 years after his death to attempt to attempt for men to create a "standard" way of believing in him. I dunno if you are old enough, but when you get into high school you will hear about the Nicene Creed.

Even if there is a God (and no, I don't want to argue with you whether or not there is one), it is pretty obvious that man made religion. Check out this article on the origin of religion for some possible reasons on the creation of religion.

Also, this is off topic in relation to the thread--so again, Hooblah, stay on topic.

Back on point: You don't have the right to say that people who discriminate Christians are doing it (viz practicing religion) wrong. You don't have this right especially considering you are using this as an argument to shrug off egregious bigotry with respect towards a group of people. Especially considering the fact those who supported Prop 8 were big players in their respective religious organizations. Just look @ the list:
  1. Roman Catholic Church
  2. Eastern Orthodox Church
  3. Focus on the Family
  4. The Mormon Church
  5. The Knights of Colombus
And a list of others which would be too numerous to count.

Tl;dr: Stay on point when debating. Also, don't make sweeping generalizations to rationalize the behaviors of other groups.

Technically speaking, Jesus traveled around the Holy Land and preached peace, did he not? I do not think that he intended to actually create his own Religion, as he was Jewish at the time.
Then again I am arguing with one that fully believes that Jesus and God meant to create the Religion, and I respect that, I was giving my opinion.

Back on topic...

I must agree with the majority saying that Religion does inadvertently promote bigotry, primely because in a Religion, people are taught certain ways to live and to avoid certain things. Christians, somehow, suddenly thought that God had put people on this Earth so that males and females would marry and conceive children, not males and males or females and females.
^ Stated above is what I heard from my Religious friend on an e-mail when I asked him about homosexuality.

Not just Christianity promotes bigotry however, as Islam does as well. Islam has promoted bigotry against homosexuals and Christians. Christians because they believe that Jesus was the Son of God, and that the Prophet Muhammed is not an important figure in Christianity.
Being homosexual is completely sinful in Islam.

Judaism seems to discriminate against homosexuals as well, saying that, in their Holy Book: "[A man] shall not lie with another man as [he would] with a woman, it is a to'eva" (Leviticus 18:22)
To'eva, apparently means 'abomination'.
http://www.religionfacts.com/homosexuality/judaism.htm <- The link to information on Judaism and Homosexuality.

Quite a lot of Relgions promote bigotry against homosexuality primely because they think that it is a rebellion against the Higher Beings.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I'm not accepted by the Christian community because I am a homosexual. They tell me it's a sin.

Explain to me why its a sin, and how its bad. "Because the Bible says so" does not give anyone the right to say I'm a bad person. And yes, those who sin are considered bad people in Christianity.

Christianity is full of bigots. There's no denying it.

I'm not accepted by the Christian community because I am a homosexual. They tell me it's a sin.

Explain to me why its a sin, and how its bad. "Because the Bible says so" does not give anyone the right to say I'm a bad person. And yes, those who sin are considered bad people in Christianity.

Christianity is full of bigots. There's no denying it.
^ Do not just blame Christianity, other Religions tend to promote bigotry as well.

I do not believe that Christians view homosexuals as bad individuals with bad attitudes... Yet they believe being homosexual is a sin?

Might I ask you, Hooblah, why Christianity views homosexuality as sin, and yet one can never change their sexual orientation?
It seems rather unfair.

Shade613

Smash Apprentice
Christianity has promoted discrimination, have you ever heard of the crusades? "Let's kill Islams because they don't believe in our god". To me that is blatant discrimination.
The Crusades were about the muslims not allowing the christians into jerusalem. They wanted to go to the holy land to worship and since they weren't allowed to they went there by force. FYI all three major monotheistic religions worship the same lord.

According to my catholic friend, Jesus' follower Paul creadted christianty after claiming Jesus came to him in a dream.

Homosexuality is sin in christianty because it goes against what their lord wants. You are insulting their lord by being homosexual. I'm sure you have said someone is bad/evil if they have disagreed with your political belifes.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
The Crusades were about the muslims not allowing the christians into jerusalem. They wanted to go to the holy land to worship and since they weren't allowed to they went there by force. FYI all three major monotheistic religions worship the same lord.
Methinks that's skimping over the details a little bit. The Crusades were a little bit more than that.

Your last point was duly noted.

According to my catholic friend, Jesus' follower Paul creadted christianty after claiming Jesus came to him in a dream.
Being a former Catholic myself, I am calling shenanigans on this statement. For a slightly better way as the how the Catholic Church was founded, click here.

Homosexuality is sin in christianty because it goes against what their lord wants. You are insulting their lord by being homosexual. I'm sure you have said someone is bad/evil if they have disagreed with your political belifes.
A point of inquiry: Why would it be insulting [wrt Christians] to their Lord that people are homosexual. As noted in my OP, homosexuality is something that is pretty commonplace in nature. As we are a part of nature, why should it be irrational for us?

And no, I haven't called someone evil because they don't agree with me politically.

Oh, and turn your sig off.

Shade613

Smash Apprentice
A point of inquiry: Why would it be insulting [wrt Christians] to their Lord that people are homosexual. As noted in my OP, homosexuality is something that is pretty commonplace in nature. As we are a part of nature, why should it be irrational for us?

And no, I haven't called someone evil because they don't agree with me politically.

Oh, and turn your sig off.
I said homosexuality is against what their Lord wants. They are rebelling against their lord by being homosexual. Would you like it if I said your idol sucks **** and should go die in a fire? The olny animal I can think that is homosexual other than humans is some type of chimpanzee. Why would animals be homosexual? Their species doesn't evolve and the olny thing wild animals think of are eat and make babies with a few exceptions.

Edit: I don't realy know how to fit this in. Are the religious people wrong for believing the olny thing that is true in the world?(It is 100% true to them because it was written by their Lord)

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
The olny animal I can think that is homosexual other than humans is some type of chimpanzee. Why would animals be homosexual? Their species doesn't evolve and the olny thing wild animals think of are eat and make babies with a few exceptions.
:laugh: You've got a lot to learn about animal biology and behavior.

Riddle

Smash Lord
Yes. Religion causes a lot of discrimination and bigotry. Almost all religions believe that 'sinners' or 'evil-doers' are doomed to be punished by their higher power and this causes members of these religions to believe these people as inferior. A lot of christians, for instance, see homesexuality as a sin. Therfore any gay people are considered inferior and weak and denied many rights by our heavily christian society.

An excerpt from the bible condemning homosexuals:

Leviticus 20:13 - If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

The opinion of some denominations on homosexuals:

Southern Baptist - "The general consensus is that homosexuals can in fact choose chastity and eventually recover their heterosexual preference. Southern Baptist clergy generally do not accept or participate in same-sex unions. To this date this denomination has never appointed a minister whom they knew to be homosexual."

Eastern Orthodox - "however some members of the church have assumed an active role in encouraging negative social stereotypes against gay individuals and several prominent members of the clergy have made statements condemning homosexuality."

The evangelical Lutheran church - "The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, the largest Lutheran church body in the United States, has a current policy which states that persons who are homosexual in their self-understanding are allowed to be ordained, but must maintain a lifestyle abstinent of sexual relations."

Source

The church clearly views homosexuals as sinners who have made an evil choice to become homosexual and are condemned unless they become heterosexual. That seems like bigotry to me.

Despite the fact that everyone is a sinner according to christianity, a lot of christians see homosexuals as bad people not just people like us.

Shade613

Smash Apprentice
:laugh: You've got a lot to learn about animal biology and behavior.
Can you please explain why they are homo?

Since no one answered my question. Are religious people wrong for believing in what is 100% true?(It is true to them because their Lord made it)

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Can you please explain why they are homo?
Research is still being done as to why animals are homosexual. For more info, click here. The OP also has some information on this as well.

Since no one answered my question. Are religious people wrong for believing in what is 100% true?(It is true to them because their Lord made it)
Notwithstanding the fact that not everyone buys into Christianity (especially the brand that would label same-sex couples as sinners for life), it is an incredibly bigoted statement.

Shade613

Smash Apprentice
Notwithstanding the fact that not everyone buys into Christianity (especially the brand that would label same-sex couples as sinners for life), it is an incredibly bigoted statement.
I never said christianty specifically. I said religous people. That goes for every single religion wheter it is amish or buddism.

IMHO that is being intolerant.
Excuse me? Intolerance? Did you just not say that homosexuality was a sin?

How can they change their sexual orientation when they are born with it?

The Bible must explain, somehow.

Are religious people wrong for believing in what is 100% true?(It is true to them because their Lord made it)
Please use evidence to point towards how it is 100% true.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
I think he was doing that for the lulz, Omnicron.

He mentioned something about that prior to him editing the post to me...

Shade613

Smash Apprentice
What they believe is true because it was created by an omnipotent being. What an aiehtist believe is also true. Before I edited my post about intolerance I said that I'm pissed at liberals because they claim to be tolerant but are extremely intolerent.

Shade613

Smash Apprentice
I guess I got sidetracked. I'm just trying to defend religious people. My first post here was towards Xsyvren who stated christianity is full of bigots. I doubt people will join a religion just because they are against something. The olny purpose is to discuss with people who agree with you and you don't need to be part of a relgion to do that.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I'm actually very accepting of all types of people, except intolerant people. You're talkin' to a gay dude here, if I was intolerant against people for no reason, I'd be the biggest hypocrite ever. If you voted for McCain/Palin, I think that's silly, but I wouldn't think you're a bad person.

Religious people that don't even know me have screamed in my face and told me that I was going to burn in hell for being a ***. They had giant signs that said "HOMO SEX IS SIN", which much to my enjoyment, was edited by some other gay dude with a rainbow flag covering the S in SIN to say "HOMO SEX IS IN."

I don't care that the Bible says that homosexuality is a sin. I've met plenty of good Christian people that treat me with common decency, and treat me like a human being. They understand that because I don't believe in what they do, that doesn't give them the right to hate me. They're not sinning by me being homosexual, so they don't care that I am. It's none of their business.

It's just unfortunate that the large majority of Christians I know don't make eye contact with me once they hear that I'm gay.

So I would say yes, a large majority of the religious population is full of bigots.

Shade613

Smash Apprentice
I'm actually very accepting of all types of people, except intolerant people. You're talkin' to a gay dude here, if I was intolerant against people for no reason, I'd be the biggest hypocrite ever. If you voted for McCain/Palin, I think that's silly, but I wouldn't think you're a bad person.

Religious people that don't even know me have screamed in my face and told me that I was going to burn in hell for being a ***. They had giant signs that said "HOMO SEX IS SIN", which much to my enjoyment, was edited by some other gay dude with a rainbow flag covering the S in SIN to say "HOMO SEX IS IN."

I don't care that the Bible says that homosexuality is a sin. I've met plenty of good Christian people that treat me with common decency, and treat me like a human being. They understand that because I don't believe in what they do, that doesn't give them the right to hate me. They're not sinning by me being homosexual, so they don't care that I am. It's none of their business.

It's just unfortunate that the large majority of Christians I know don't make eye contact with me once they hear that I'm gay.

So I would say yes, a large majority of the religious population is full of bigots.
Just so you know I'm not saying your a bad person and I don't care about your sexuality.
In the monotheistic religions homosexuality is the worst sin because it goes against the lord's wishes. By being homo (in their opinion) you are spitting in the lord's face. You wouldn't like it if I said your idol should die in a fire. The best thing a person could do(to get into hevan) is convert someone. If everyone was religoius I'm sure they would stop being homo if they believed they would burn for all eternity. That is why I think they yell you're going to burn in hell. They might be approaching it the wrong way but, it is kind of like they care for your well being by trying to convert you.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
They need to realize that forcing their beliefs on other people is ... well, disgusting. I'm not spitting in their face, they're spitting in mine. They're bigots. o_o

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I was actually thinking about starting this topic, since I see the claim brought up a lot.

The main problem I have with most people in here is generalization. The topic is “does religion itself promote bigotry”, not “do the popular religions/current religions promote bigotry”.
I don’t think it’s any stretch to say that bigotry/intolerance comes out of ignorance. Xsyven’s story pretty much confirms it, as he stated how he looked down on all of these types of people without really looking at what they really were. People hated blacks because they thought they were immoral and lesser people. People didn’t like foreigners because they were lesser then them. People don’t like conservatives because they’re ignorant bible thumpers who hate non-Christians. People don’t like liberals because they’re godless heathens who want to take all of your money and use it to kill babies. People are rarely intolerant when they are not ignorant of the other people’s views. Of course some people are, which is something I’m going to touch up on.

Does religion cause ignorance? I’d say no. Do almost every religion out there now cause ignorance? Yes. Concepts such as Dogma, divine revelation, or discouraging people in their own religion questioning undoubtedly cause it. It’s the reason people refused to believe that the world was centered around the sun, or don’t believe in evolution. It’s the cause for people to believe that humans shouldn’t try to impact the world because “God will take care of it”. It’s also the reason people hate homosexuals, because they’re holy book says it’s bad. It’s the reason there is so much religious struggle around.

The question, though, is “Does religions need those things to be a religion?” Can a religion exist that doesn’t tell they’re followers to not question it’s teachings, or that everyone should be a member of it, or with certain claims about the universe or society that they can never change? I’d say, easily, yes. There are already some out there. Buddhism, for example, says that suffering is the result of ignorance, and wants people to learn as much as they can about everything they can. It also states that people should look at the teachings in Buddhism, decide if it’s right for them or not, and if something in the teachings doesn’t make sense to them then they shouldn’t believe in it. Recently, the Dalai Lama even said that, despite reincarnation being a large part of Tibetan Buddhism, that if scientists could disprove reincarnation then they’d abandon it. Obviously Buddhism isn’t perfect. The concept of Karmic reincarnation leads to some people thinking that the poor are poor because they were bad people before and therefore deserve their spot in life.

People here also brought up the feeling of “superiority” over others. But honestly, that’s not religions fault. That’s human nature. We always feel superior to others, even if we don’t like to use the word. For example, I think I’m more moral then most Christians. I believe I am more moral then all religious right members. I also believe I’m smarter than most people my age, at least when it deals to politics. It’s obvious you guys do too, as you’re obviously talking down to Shade316, and him to you. It’s how we operate. Blaming religion for that is pretty silly. At worst religion can only increase these feelings due to the things mentioned above, but I don’t see why those would be needed to classify something as a religion.

Shade613

Smash Apprentice
They need to realize that forcing their beliefs on other people is ... well, disgusting. I'm not spitting in their face, they're spitting in mine. They're bigots. o_o
No you aren't spitting in their face but, they belive you are spitting in their lord's face. Lets say you like Will Smith and I say Will Smith should die in a fire. You would be offended by this and come to Will Smith's defense, wouldn't you. Also how do you think religions got followers. Some preacher went to a market place, got on a box, and started yelling about his religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom