• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

True Skills being held back?

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
For those that don't know me, I'm a Peach main that goes all Peach in tournaments. I am known as one of the top Peach players in the country now. People call me crazy for it but I don't play this game for money (to me it is not worth it, I really don't like brawl). I play it cause Peach is my favorite nintendo character. I did it in melee for 2 years but failed at that. Brawl though, it is a different story.

I was at an East Coast regional this past weekend (S.N.E.S, I got 13th out of 141) I was playing M2K in brackets and was doing somewhat ok till I SD both matches once. After I fought M2K, JesiahTG (I think that is how you spell it) Came to me and ask "dude why don't you have secondary or use better characters, you would go so far if you do this well as Peach". My answer was "I don't play this game for top tier characters or any of that stuff. Only reason I touch brawl is because Peach is in it. If she was not in brawl I not touch this game. I seriously don't like it" I play to show what this character can really do she is underratted and I make it my job to fix that and improve her meta game. Thats my goal and why I am in this community.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that that is out the way, the question is, is true skills being held back when I could do better in tournaments cause I use Peach, desipte how good I do with her in tournies and get money? Or is it still shown through out Peach. The difference is, I just don't have an easier shot than if I was playing a high tier. I was thinking about this on the bus ride back to N.Y. "what if I mained Marth, Snake or Falco?" I like these characters so if I was not a Peach fan or main, I would use one of these guys. Is hidden talent in a player held back and not really shown? am I able to show this in Peach?

I can't seem to come to an answer on this matter. When Ally found out what I did, he was really shocked and gave me a congrats. That felt good. If I was able to do this with Peach, imagine If I had use Snake, Falco or Marth from the beginning. Am I holding myself back to be a really great player? Do you people thinking going all Peach and trying to win tournies with her is just stupid as hell? Are my skills being wasted on a character that I should not be using to get money and win a tourny? Is this seriously a waste of time?

Buy the way, w/e the answers are, I am not gonna stop. I'll still go all Peach I don't care about the player, character or how gay they play. I don't have time to worry about this and have fear in me. I have to worry about playing and using all that I know about this character, and win. Even against someone like M2K. I was not scared of him at all and was just ready to win. But yea, I wanna know what people think.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Higher tier characters suggest a typically more easy/convenient path to take to reach a competent level. Taking 13th out of 141 at a major tournament with Peach, the only reason you'd want to consider a secondary (whether high tier or anything else) is if you feel that a certain character matchup or stage is holding you back.

Otherwise, no, your decision of sticking only with Peach is not holding you back at all.

Cirno

Smash Journeyman
I agree that Peach is highly underrated. She still has lots of little mechanics to play with and exploit, leaving her lots and lots of room to grow into a truly formidable character no matter the matchup.

Holding yourself back? Only if you feel that way in my opinion. I've always believed that each person does better with a certain style of play rather a character. It's the character that lets us play closest to this style that I think each of us performs best with.

But I suppose if you're an extremely aggressive Marth that won't switch to MK then the answer is yes, since MK can play in that style on a level Marth just can't.

If there's anything that's holding you back, I'd say it's probably your mindset. You don't really have a goal in mind when you are playing. Most people either play money or for fun. But as you stated, the money in Brawl isn't worth it, and you don't like Brawl. You play because Peach is in it, which she is in countless other games and hacks still being developed to this day. With players like Niko_k, Excel_Zero, Kos-Mos, Praxis, Bone, Sky and countless other great Peach mains the actual necessity in showing others what Peach can do seems to pale. I'd suggest aimming for something more solid, or thinking over reasons you previously passed up.

TL;DR:

No, but your attitude towards playing might since the brain doesn't deal well with generalities.

~RiKu~

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't consider playing all Peach in a tournament as holding you back. Like you said you really don't play for money, but to show others the things Peach can do, I'd consider that a talent cuz it makes you stand out from others.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I see. I don't see characters in this game holding me back. if I lose I blame it on myself for not doing better. I got all the high tier match ups down. Some people tell me I hold myself back cause I don't many money off this game when I could. I made some money off as Peach before in this game. But nothing to serious as to where I can win mutiple tournaments or get cash out of them.

While I don't play a high tier, I guess my skills as a player show and might show the same way as if I was to use a high tier. There is just so many factors running through this to see what the deal really is. I been thinking about this for a while.

Zolios

Smash Apprentice
I don't mean to get offensive, but this just seems like you're bragging entirely.

My interpretation - "I do so **** well *provides recent tournament results* I don't play for money, I don't want to play high tiers, I only play for peach, everyone says I would be better if I didn't just play peach."

Regardless, the best thing to do is whatever makes you have fun. Tournament results don't mean a thing to me, unless I start to advance high in the brackets somehow. Should be the same for everyone.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I agree that Peach is highly underrated. She still has lots of little mechanics to play with and exploit, leaving her lots and lots of room to grow into a truly formidable character no matter the matchup.

Holding yourself back? Only if you feel that way in my opinion. I've always believed that each person does better with a certain style of play rather a character. It's the character that lets us play closest to this style that I think each of us performs best with.

But I suppose if you're an extremely aggressive Marth that won't switch to MK then the answer is yes, since MK can play in that style on a level Marth just can't.

If there's anything that's holding you back, I'd say it's probably your mindset. You don't really have a goal in mind when you are playing. Most people either play money or for fun. But as you stated, the money in Brawl isn't worth it, and you don't like Brawl. You play because Peach is in it, which she is in countless other games and hacks still being developed to this day. With players like Niko_k, Excel_Zero, Kos-Mos, Praxis, Bone, Sky and countless other great Peach mains the actual necessity in showing others what Peach can do seems to pale. I'd suggest aimming for something more solid, or thinking over reasons you previously passed up.

TL;DR:

No, but your attitude towards playing might since the brain doesn't deal well with generalities.
I actually do have a goal. 2 of them really. One of them is to improve her metagame and have her rise in the competitive world of brawl. The other is to take Peach as far outside the minds people think she can go in tournaments. And one day win a big tourny. People say she can't do it alone. And I want to prove them wrong. If anything, these 2 goals right here should make me a better player. Cause I need to be one to make thishappen.

I don't mean to get offensive, but this just seems like you're bragging entirely.

My interpretation - "I do so **** well *provides recent tournament results* I don't play for money, I don't want to play high tiers, I only play for peach, everyone says I would be better if I didn't just play peach."

Regardless, the best thing to do is whatever makes you have fun. Tournament results don't mean a thing to me, unless I start to advance high in the brackets somehow. Should be the same for everyone.
"I actually do have a goal. 2 of them really. One of them is to improve her metagame and have her rise in the competitive world of brawl. The other is to take Peach as far outside the minds people think she can go in tournaments. And one day win a big tourny. People say she can't do it alone. And I want to prove them wrong. If anything, these 2 goals right here should make me a better player. Cause I need to be one to make thishappen.
"

Even if I don't play for money, tourny results do matter. If I am out to comptele these goals, stuff like this matters. And I need to understand what kind of play I am with skills and in general.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Around the end of last year, I picked up Sonic. I really enjoyed his playstyle and the numerous amount of fake-outs/mindgames he can perform, as well as his pure speed. I chose him out of a combination of fan-appreciation, and as a challenge from some college buddies of mine, in order to see if I could match up with the best player amongst us, who almost always 2-stocked us in each match we played with him. By the end of the school year, it was almost a given that me and this person would be going at it for 10 minutes, 1v1s and FFAs, if I played Sonic, and it almost always ended with the winner in KO range on the last stock. Even had some people groaning in discomfort whenever I chose Sonic to play with, and it wasn't uncommon to hear "Oh, **** you Sonic!" in nearly every match.

That said, I'm not saying that I can compare with some of the top players around the country. But I do get some satisfaction with playing Sonic 9 times out of 10 and getting some experience and knowledge in every kind of matchup imaginable. I've been told, irl and on Wi-fi, that my ability with Sonic is far better with other characters (even receiving the nickname "Sonic" among my college buddies), so receiving that kind of statement is something I take pride in, and it makes me want to show that Sonic can get somewhere in the metagame. I plan to get the most of what the blue hedgehog has to offer, and if I ever get a chance to go to tourneys, I'll be using Sonic in every match up, kind of like how Dark Pch. uses Peach in tourneys. I don't care if someone uses a high-tier character against me - all it tells me is that I get a chance to learn the matchup, and improve my skills even further against that character. In fact, I have more trouble facing the A-tier characters than the S-tier, because I've been playing against the S-tier characters on wifi numerous times. Sure, "wifi lol." But it at least gives me a general gist of what the matchup is like, so that if/when I transfer into the offline play, I can expect some things in the matchup.

When someone beats me, I don't think it's because "Sonic sucks in priority" or "the other plays gay." I treat as a lesson to play more strategically with Sonic, and mix up my approaches that also focus on the opponent's weaknesses due to player style (for example, an aggressive Marth that uses F-smash every time I'm up close). I'm always finding ways to improve. It's all about the mindset that you have when you go into the matches.

tl;dr: True skills show when the player doesn't get discouraged whenever he/she plays against high-tier characters/better players and loses. Take a loss with a grain of salt, and learn from the matchup, so that you can come back later and take the victory.

Binx

Smash Master
playing peach probably gives you a competitive advantage since she is a seldom used character, once people figure out your peach tricks then its all skill, for now though you have a slight advantage simply because not a lot of people know all the tricks that peach can do.

Just to note im not degrading your skill at all, I've seen some of your videos in melee and in brawl and your a great player no matter which way you look at it from.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Around the end of last year, I picked up Sonic. I really enjoyed his playstyle and the numerous amount of fake-outs/mindgames he can perform, as well as his pure speed. I chose him out of a combination of fan-appreciation, and as a challenge from some college buddies of mine, in order to see if I could match up with the best player amongst us, who almost always 2-stocked us in each match we played with him. By the end of the school year, it was almost a given that me and this person would be going at it for 10 minutes, 1v1s and FFAs, if I played Sonic, and it almost always ended with the winner in KO range on the last stock. Even had some people groaning in discomfort whenever I chose Sonic to play with, and it wasn't uncommon to hear "Oh, **** you Sonic!" in nearly every match.

That said, I'm not saying that I can compare with some of the top players around the country. But I do get some satisfaction with playing Sonic 9 times out of 10 and getting some experience and knowledge in every kind of matchup imaginable. I've been told, irl and on Wi-fi, that my ability with Sonic is far better with other characters (even receiving the nickname "Sonic" among my college buddies), so receiving that kind of statement is something I take pride in, and it makes me want to show that Sonic can get somewhere in the metagame. I plan to get the most of what the blue hedgehog has to offer, and if I ever get a chance to go to tourneys, I'll be using Sonic in every match up, kind of like how Dark Pch. uses Peach in tourneys. I don't care if someone uses a high-tier character against me - all it tells me is that I get a chance to learn the matchup, and improve my skills even further against that character. In fact, I have more trouble facing the A-tier characters than the S-tier, because I've been playing against the S-tier characters on wifi numerous times. Sure, "wifi lol." But it at least gives me a general gist of what the matchup is like, so that if/when I transfer into the offline play, I can expect some things in the matchup.

When someone beats me, I don't think it's because "Sonic sucks in priority" or "the other plays gay." I treat as a lesson to play more strategically with Sonic, and mix up my approaches that also focus on the opponent's weaknesses due to player style (for example, an aggressive Marth that uses F-smash every time I'm up close). I'm always finding ways to improve. It's all about the mindset that you have when you go into the matches.

tl;dr: True skills show when the player doesn't get discouraged whenever he/she plays against high-tier characters/better players and loses. Take a loss with a grain of salt, and learn from the matchup, so that you can come back later and take the victory.
I see. I kinda feel the same way when I lose as well.

Those are terrible reasons for wanting to play competitively, but, to each their own.
Care to explain why?

playing peach probably gives you a competitive advantage since she is a seldom used character, once people figure out your peach tricks then its all skill, for now though you have a slight advantage simply because not a lot of people know all the tricks that peach can do.

Just to note im not degrading your skill at all, I've seen some of your videos in melee and in brawl and your a great player no matter which way you look at it from.
I don't think I have the advantage cause of this reason. I'm sure by now everyone out their mom have seen all she can do and is use to it. And this I am aware of so I play outside the box. So if it was to give me the advantage, it be this. And even if they did not know all the tricks. Peach can still beat up Peach. Losts of characters can go head to head with her. and expose her weakness well.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
you're holding yourself back. But whatever, if your love for peach is greater than your love for success than you'll keep doing what your doing.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799

Staco

Smash Champion
I think Peach holds you back.
Of course you would do better with some top tier, if you put enough time in it.
But seriously, if you play this game because Peach only you should use her and not any other character.

Im luckily one of the guys, which start to like characters, while playing a game. (I didnt like Diddy at all but my opinion changed while I played brawl and now I like to him and I also like to use him now) I still got some characters which are my most favourites like ShyGuy or Metaknight, but I also like other characters and sometimes I start to like new ones.
If you want to compete more you should play a better character as secondary but still main peach (since she is your favourite). You can still use Peach in tourney matches, but you could use the better char vs. enemies, which you cant defeat with Peach to the moment.

And stay to your character. ;)
When I saw the first Brawl Trailer I directly wanted to main MK. When Brawl came out I didnt main him at the start, because everyone said to me: "MK is cheap" etc.
But then I finally started to main him (like I planned before Brawl released, since he is one of my most like characters) and Im happy with it. I just ignore people now, if they tell me that MK is cheap.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I think Peach holds you back.
Of course you would do better with some top tier, if you put enough time in it.
But seriously, if you play this game because Peach only you should use her and not any other character.

Im luckily one of the guys, which start to like characters, while playing a game. (I didnt like Diddy at all but my opinion changed while I played brawl and now I like to him and I also like to use him now) I still got some characters which are my most favourites like ShyGuy or Metaknight, but I also like other characters and sometimes I start to like new ones.
If you want to compete more you should play a better character as secondary but still main peach (since she is your favourite). You can still use Peach in tourney matches, but you could use the better char vs. enemies, which you cant defeat with Peach to the moment.

And stay to your character. ;)
When I saw the first Brawl Trailer I directly wanted to main MK. When Brawl came out I didnt main him at the start, because everyone said to me: "MK is cheap" etc.
But then I finally started to main him (like I planned before Brawl released, since he is one of my most like characters) and Im happy with it. I just ignore people now, if they tell me that MK is cheap.
oh-ho........ok thanks for your opinion.

I have been told many times to have a secondary. The thing is. I just would not feel right if I was to use one. Even if I was to win a tournament cause of it, I would not feel right at all. I would feel like I chickened out and destroyed my morals and purpose for maining my character. And I would also feel like crap that I could not do it with my main. I would not be proud of myself.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Well the reality is that people's perceptions of characters is important when considering how good someone is when using them.

There's always the true nature of matchups vs. how people see them, and it's skewed even more by how individual players actually play. So it's always possible that the MK vs Peach matchup isn't as bad as people make it out to be, that M2K didn't play the matchup properly, or that Peach is simply a far better character than people give her credit for.

The point is it's extremely difficult to determine how good someone is in brawl because there's so much grey area. I personally don't think peach is holding you back very much and you should always aim to prove your character as even better.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Congrats Dark. Pch on doing so well in a big tourney with Peach
The answer to your question is, no your not holding yourself back using Peach
Any character can beat any character, its all about skill level.
Yes even a highly Ganon could beat a highly skilled MK(but this has never happened yet lol)
But I understand where your coming from here. My favorite characters, Lucas and Zelda are considered low tier and people say they suck, but I see much more potential in them. Lucas and Zelda get so much hate, its sad. Lucas is considered the worst newcomer and one of the lowest on the character rankings. Zelda is considered worst than she was in Melee or just as bad, and some of her worst matchups are the characters you most likely will see at tournies....And you never see these characters in tournies at high levels:( When I actually go to tournies I only use them, even against their worst matchups. I try to show people what they can do as well. It didnt get me far in some tournies I went to, I lost badly. Then I tried to pick up some higher teir charcters like Olimar, ROB, and Snake and got bored with them easily, they just wasnt as fun as Lucas and Zelda. Recently I found interest in Wario, ZSS, and Kirby which are now my back ups for Lucas and Zelda, but for some reason I do better with Lucas and Zelda even though they "suck", so I still tend to only use them in tournies. Its good that you have a connection with your character and you believe in her ability to win and compete with the best. If you love the character use them no matter what.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
So essentially when M2K switched from D3 to MK he "chickened out?"
No cause M2K wants to win at all cost and needs the best character in the game to have a good shot at that. I don't play for reason like him, so if I was to have a secondary, in my case, I be a coward and weak.

Well the reality is that people's perceptions of characters is important when considering how good someone is when using them.

There's always the true nature of matchups vs. how people see them, and it's skewed even more by how individual players actually play. So it's always possible that the MK vs Peach matchup isn't as bad as people make it out to be, that M2K didn't play the matchup properly, or that Peach is simply a far better character than people give her credit for.

The point is it's extremely difficult to determine how good someone is in brawl because there's so much grey area. I personally don't think peach is holding you back very much and you should always aim to prove your character as even better.
Yea it is hard to see how good one is in this game cause of these reasons, thus I brought up this question. people see me and be like "ha, he mains Peach, and I have to fight him in tourny. I play a good character, I got this and nothing to worry about" But then I beat them and heads turn. people tend to learn the character determind skills then the player behind it if it is not a high tier.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Well, I'm not immensely good, and I've only been to two tournies, but I can say it's a hard knock life for the mid tiers and down.

I use Wolf, obviously, and to be honest, it depends really on you whether or not you're being held back. I've got a really hard tie to Wolf, and I do better with him than I do with greater tiers. Sometimes, it's a perfect match with you and you're character, and it's better than your performance with higher tier characters. On the other hand, you just play said character, there's no perfect fit and you would just fit better with MK, Snake, Falco or DDD to name a few.

Do you know which one you are?

TreK

Is "that guy"
There's no shame in having a secondary imo. It's just admitting your favorite character, in my case Luigi, is badly designed and is unfortunately not god tier because sakurai sucked. I still want to prove what he's capable of because I'm proud to main him, but I know what he's not capable of and I don't go Luigi vs a Marth because I want to prove what he's capable of by placing high, which is not possible if I get ***** by marths in pools.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Congrats Dark. Pch on doing so well in a big tourney with Peach
The answer to your question is, no your not holding yourself back using Peach
Any character can beat any character, its all about skill level.
Yes even a highly Ganon could beat a highly skilled MK(but this has never happened yet lol)
But I understand where your coming from here. My favorite characters, Lucas and Zelda are considered low tier and people say they suck, but I see much more potential in them. Lucas and Zelda get so much hate, its sad. Lucas is considered the worst newcomer and one of the lowest on the character rankings. Zelda is considered worst than she was in Melee or just as bad, and some of her worst matchups are the characters you most likely will see at tournies....And you never see these characters in tournies at high levels:( When I actually go to tournies I only use them, even against their worst matchups. I try to show people what they can do as well. It didnt get me far in some tournies I went to, I lost badly. Then I tried to pick up some higher teir charcters like Olimar, ROB, and Snake and got bored with them easily, they just wasnt as fun as Lucas and Zelda. Recently I found interest in Wario, ZSS, and Kirby which are now my back ups for Lucas and Zelda, but for some reason I do better with Lucas and Zelda even though they "suck", so I still tend to only use them in tournies. Its good that you have a connection with your character and you believe in her ability to win and compete with the best. If you love the character use them no matter what.
I feel the same way, and thanks.

Well, I'm not immensely good, and I've only been to two tournies, but I can say it's a hard knock life for the mid tiers and down.

I use Wolf, obviously, and to be honest, it depends really on you whether or not you're being held back. I've got a really hard tie to Wolf, and I do better with him than I do with greater tiers. Sometimes, it's a perfect match with you and you're character, and it's better than your performance with higher tier characters. On the other hand, you just play said character, there's no perfect fit and you would just fit better with MK, Snake, Falco or DDD to name a few.

Do you know which one you are?
I am not to sure which one I am. I have to think about it.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
oh-ho........ok thanks for your opinion.

I have been told many times to have a secondary. The thing is. I just would not feel right if I was to use one. Even if I was to win a tournament cause of it, I would not feel right at all. I would feel like I chickened out and destroyed my morals and purpose for maining my character. And I would also feel like crap that I could not do it with my main. I would not be proud of myself.
So if you say this, the answer is obvious.

Why ask?

What's the point in winning if there's no satisfaction? The humiliation of the opponent? That's plain cruel, and I don't see you as that kind of guy.

18.15.2.15x12.9.14.11

Smash Cadet
Yes, Peach holds you back, what were you thinking, you should go Link instead. xD

In all seriousness/obviousness, you would place higher with a higher tier character.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
So if you say this, the answer is obvious.

Why ask?

What's the point in winning if there's no satisfaction? The humiliation of the opponent? That's plain cruel, and I don't see you as that kind of guy.
People up people with a Princess covers all of that. But cause I feel that way the answer is not obvious to the questions I answered.

Yes, Peach holds you back, what were you thinking, you should go Link instead. xD

In all seriousness/obviousness, you would place higher with a higher tier character.
I actually been playing alot with link. He is pretty bad azz.

And yea, lots been telling me I would place higher with a better character.

Skler

Smash Master
You'd only place higher with a high tier character if you were good with said high tier character.

But yes, true skills are held back because it isn't melee :chuckle:

18.15.2.15x12.9.14.11

Smash Cadet
I actually been playing alot with link. He is pretty bad azz.
Play as him in tournaments against Snake. Please? xD

And yea, lots been telling me I would place higher with a better character.
It's true. It's obvious. Obviously true. Truly obvious. xD

You'd only place higher with a high tier character if you were good with said high tier character.
Nah, you'd still place higher if you were bad. You just have to be less bad than the alternatives. xD

But yes, true skills are held back because it isn't melee :chuckle:
What're you doing in the brawl boards? lol

18.15.2.15x12.9.14.11

Smash Cadet
No, its not true. You ever seen Gimpfishes Fox or even his Ganon? Its really, really bad.
Does he even play Fox or Ganon? lol

If indeed Gimpyfish practiced Bowser, Fox, and Ganon (relatively) evenly, and his Bowser > his Fox and Ganon, then he would be an exception to the rule.

Staco

Smash Champion
If you dont feel proud about winning with another character, then stay Peach only.
You allready said it multiple times, that you wouldnt feel good about winning with a non Peach character, thats why you should stay Peach and not maining/2nd any other char. ;)

If you dont change this opinion you shouldnt pick up any other char. So you really dont need to make big thoughts about playing other characters. You should make thought, if you also could feel comfrotable about winning with non peach chars, but you dont atm.
So stay Peach. =)

Skler

Smash Master
Nah, you'd still place higher if you were bad. You just have to be less bad than the alternatives. xD

What're you doing in the brawl boards? lol
You have to actually be good with a character to win, at least in my experience. Again, I haven't played Brawl "for real" in some time, I base everything off Melee. Even with Fox practice, my Fox isn't as good as my Link. My Fox is ok, it can win some matchups and I'll even counterpick with it sometimes or use it on stages where Link is total garbage. My Link can beat people my Fox has no chance of beating. Brawl might be different because there's pretty much no tech skill and very little to improve on for low tier characters.

I saw the thread title while scrolling down to look at the Melee section and thought "i bet this is about low tiers" and figured I'd say something about bad characters. I also haven't gotten an infraction in a long time, so I could really use one to get the "bad boy" feeling I so deeply crave.

18.15.2.15x12.9.14.11

Smash Cadet
You have to actually be good with a character to win, at least in my experience. Again, I haven't played Brawl "for real" in some time, I base everything off Melee. Even with Fox practice, my Fox isn't as good as my Link. My Fox is ok, it can win some matchups and I'll even counterpick with it sometimes or use it on stages where Link is total garbage. My Link can beat people my Fox has no chance of beating. Brawl might be different because there's pretty much no tech skill and very little to improve on for low tier characters.
If that's the case, then I was mistaken. Oh well. :p

I saw the thread title while scrolling down to look at the Melee section and thought "i bet this is about low tiers" and figured I'd say something about bad characters. I also haven't gotten an infraction in a long time, so I could really use one to get the "bad boy" feeling I so deeply crave.
lol?

BlueHurricane

Smash Cadet
Holding yourself back? Not at all. Pretty much all 7 of my mains are pretty terrible in competitive play, but they're what works best for me. Just use the characters that you feel suit you the best. I actually used to main a few high tiers, but quit them since no matter how much I learned about them, I couldn't stack up against opponents with them compared to my lower tier mains.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I think that rather than holding you back, Peach enhances your performance. I don't think you'd even be a formidable opponent if you mained Snake or MK, just because they were good. Your passion for doing well with Peach far outweighs the passion I have to do well with Marth, which is why you outplaced me. Picking MK would make some MUs easier, but that stuff really doesn't matter at our level of play, and you'll just get ***** if your drive isn't high enough.

Peach brings out the best in you, and she'll take you the farthest.

tl;dr: Peach is hot.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
I see. I don't see characters in this game holding me back. if I lose I blame it on myself for not doing better. I got all the high tier match ups down. Some people tell me I hold myself back cause I don't many money off this game when I could. I made some money off as Peach before in this game. But nothing to serious as to where I can win mutiple tournaments or get cash out of them.

While I don't play a high tier, I guess my skills as a player show and might show the same way as if I was to use a high tier. There is just so many factors running through this to see what the deal really is. I been thinking about this for a while.
So by asking us these questions you want a 3rd party answer right? Thats a good way to confirm whether or not your doing the right thing

welp, dont stop asking questions then. No question is too dumb or stupid. Even if its not about smash but yourself. Learn from mistakes, like you already said, and dont let little things hold you back-- never ever

I honestly think, one thing people tend to forget is the power of love. Do you love your main alot? Not just speaking to the op here, but to others reading this post.

I could sit here and type up rivers apon rivers of text on just how much i love DDD. Not for his smash aspects/meta game, but of mainly how much i love him as a character. Just to hold my little penguin in my arms, to cuddle his face and tell him how much i love him would bring so much joy to me

I also think that, having alittle bit of love for the other characters in brawl goes along way. Loving them for who they are and their strengths. I know people that main DK/Bowser/Lucario/Wolf really dislike DDD, i can understand the match ups are gay. But dont hate DDD's character for it. Having played DK/Lucario/Wolf myself, i know just how fun they can be.

Top Bottom