• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Supar Stage Video Thread!

Toby.

Smash Master
From a discussion I was having with Miles on AIM about various counterpicking options and stage tricks:

Toby: you know what would be good
Toby: having a thread with videos of good PT's playing on our best and worst stages
Toby: organised stage by stage
Toby: i would find that very useful
Miles: you should make that thread

-----

I don't think this should be restricted to great pokemon trainers. I'd like to have a brief note next to each video saying why it worked or why it didn't. This would give us all specific things to watch for and learn from each match, which will expand our counterpicking repertoire.

It's awfully easy to talk about playing on rainbow cruise, but seeing other PT's avoid the gimps, control the space and ultimately win (or lose) will make that crucial counterpick decision in your next tournament a more educated one.

Retro: I think this is big enough to deserve its own thread, despite the stage discussion currently underway. The scope of this is more than simply how to CP specific characters. Nevertheless, feel free to merge this with something if you see fit. If you do want to merge it, I'd suggest waiting until the current videos have been processed and organised stage by stage with brief descriptions. That way I can actually get this mostly done before it goes under the control of some other thread.

Now I'm going to start compiling videos. EVERYONE. PLEASE help out! I'll give you an example to show you the format.

Battlefield

Toby
Opponent: Shaya (Marth)
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE9DLUkHU20

Notes: I chose battlefield to limit Marth's CG options on squirtle. On this stage he loses fair, up smash, the regrab, and the spike...as long as you don't get grabbed right near the edge. Marth retains the ability to tipper fsmash straight out of the release.

I also chose it to maximise squirtles evasive game through use of the platforms. Whilst marth is extremely good at controlling them as well (see me get owned in that match lolol), if i had managed to land the first launch, squirtle would have had a good chance of doing similar things.

Charizard has decent options here, but the video doesn't demonstrate them.

Brinstar

t-block
Opponent: KillL0ck (Marth)LINK
Opponent: Tokaio (Lucas) LINK

Toby
Opponent: Shaya (King Dedede)
LINK

Dellfeeno Plarzah

Vermy
Opponent: Joey Joey Joe Joe (Pokemon Trainer) LINK

Lylat

t-block
Opponent: KillL0ck (Marth) LINK

Miles.

Smash Champion
that other level thread is near useless, and its like a new stage every 2 hours.

toby papes.

watches vid*

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
That stage reminds me of Pumpkin Hill from Sonic Adventure 2.

Out of curiousity, toby, why did you switch Ivysaur right off the bat in that video?

Toby.

Smash Master
I switched ivysaur out because the marth matchup is impossibly difficult with that pokemon, and there are sooo many ways for him to 0-death us its not funny.

It didn't really matter that he got a free hit on zard. It was better than a free stock against ivysaur.

Miles.

Smash Champion
I am having a hard time finding anything positive to say, on Vermy's or T-Business's vids.

Toby you should make a note somewhere about why you chose BF against Marth so people are aware it is to avoid getting CGed by him.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
picking a good stage is so important against marth, because he can basically 0 death two of our pokemon if we aren't careful. :\

T-block

B2B TST
lol chill...i'm just trying to figure out what sort of vids you're looking for. i was thinking first vid shows that brinstar is a stage that encourages aerial combat, and squirtle can take advantage of that. it also shows how the sloped terrain can be used to slide with your aerials, and i think there were times when squirtle attacked from below the stage, which is a part of playing on brinstar that shouldn't be ignored

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I've been developing my brinstar skills recently

went from banning it, to playing it against toby with dedede, to using it against diddys and falcos in the US and here to **** them.

I have a reasonably good understanding of the stage now and how to abuse it's love. Like
Marth's forward air to forward smash being a combo at death percents abuse

Toby.

Smash Master
I don't think its a big deal at this stage whether the videos show strong use of the stage. The idea is that we can sit down and watch a bunch of different people playing on the same stage and make our own observations on what worked and what didn't. It will actually be useful for poorer matches to be up there, because its easier to see what fails when somebody is doing it a lot.

So I don't think it matters if only the occasional vid has a comment explaining what worked and what didn't. I'm about to update the first post with a couple things to look out for on brinstar, so keep an eye out and see if you guys can find any vids that demonstrate it.

Edit: btw thanks a lot guys for submissions. Keep it up. Pleeeaaaaase.

Best: I don't think vids against CPUs would be helpful.

Miles.

Smash Champion
lol chill...i'm just trying to figure out what sort of vids you're looking for. i was thinking first vid shows that brinstar is a stage that encourages aerial combat, and squirtle can take advantage of that. it also shows how the sloped terrain can be used to slide with your aerials, and i think there were times when squirtle attacked from below the stage, which is a part of playing on brinstar that shouldn't be ignored
ok.

fair enough.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
someone find my old typh vs edrees on corneria video where i suck but i still **** because of corneria

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Facetious.

Oh and Ziggy Stardust I don't think I've ever claimed to be a grammar Nazi :/

If I was I would use proper grammar.
Welllllll, you did ask Cris why he spelled projectile with a y:

Toby. said:
I've been wondering this for a long time now...why do you spell projectile with a 'y' instead of a 'j'? At first I thought it was a typo, but I can't remember you ever using a j. I'm no spelling nazi, just curious.
Just kidding. <3 Tobaaaay

@ Beast--Fight a G and W there. XD

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
also you die to his smashes at like 50%

and you can die to the uair's wind effect lol

Miles.

Smash Champion
I also specifically said that I wasn't a spelling nazi and didn't care that he spelled it like that. I was just genuinely curious :S

But since there's <3 all around I'll forgive you I suppose.
Your status should say Typh > Miles.

Top Bottom