• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound 4 - Smash Bus

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Midwest Smash Bus

Alright, I've already talked to quite a few people about this, but I thought I'd go ahead and start this thread to keep it all organized. A big group of us in the Midwest are going to be taking a Greyhound Bus from Springfield, Ohio.

For those that don't know about Pound 4 or Greyhound
Pound Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=237419
Greyhound Site: http://www.greyhound.com/home/

The whole trip is going to take up friday evening, saturday, sunday, monday, and about half of tuesday. School and work should all be canceled on monday, as it's MLK day, but you'll most likely end up missing school on tuesday. We're going to try to leave sometime late in the evening on friday so we don't interfere with people's school schedule.

Bus Information

I'm gonna go ahead and deliver the bad news :(
There will be no electric outlets on our bus, so no smash on the drive there. The only buses that have outlets are the ones leaving from the New York area.

First of all I just want to reemphasize that this trip is going to be expensive. Not just this bus ticket in particular, but this trip in general. This bus is not meant to make things easier on anyone's wallet but instead easier on those that do not want to drive through the Appalachian Mountains. And considering this trip is hours away having to drive and finding a driver is unlikely, especially in the midwest. And flying is no cheaper.

Alright, here are our three main options:

Indianapolis: Departing at 4:10 pm, arriving at 5:55 am, roughly two hours before the doors to the venue open. This is currently our best option except for the fact that we would be leaving not long after a lot of people would get out of school and it may be inconvenient due to the time we would be departing. It's a friday after all, and I know not everyone is available at this time of the day. $98 Bus Ticket. If you select "no" for whether or not the credit card holder is traveling it's an extra $18. If you select yes, it isn't. If you select to recieve your ticket(s) by mail it will be an extra $3. If you select to recieve your ticket(s) by will call it isn't, but you must pick them up yourself form a location that would distribute them.

Indianapolis: Departing at 7:20 pm, arriving at 9:15 am. This is another good option due to its central location, however, melee doubles starts at 10:00 am. this gives no breathing room for any melee players planning to enter doubles, and if the bus ends up being late at all, it's highly likely they will miss registration. So unless no melee players enter melee doubles, we will not be using this method. $98 Bus Ticket. If you select "no" for whether or not the credit card holder is traveling it's an extra $18. If you select yes, it isn't. If you select to recieve your ticket(s) by mail it will be an extra $3. If you select to recieve your ticket(s) by will call it isn't, but you must pick them up yourself form a location that would distribute them.

Springfield: Departing at 7:00 pm, arriving at 5:55 am. The best of the above two options with the lack of being a centralized location. Springfield will be a bit of a drive for many people, but the fact that it's closer to the east coast means that the ticket will be a bit cheaper and we're able to get and leave at the perfect times with it being a shorter bus ride. As long as people are still willing to make the drive to Springfield, Ohio (should only be three, maybe four hours at most). With this, however, we will be forced to leave from the hotel earlier, meeting our bus at 10:50 in the morning. I do not like this idea because expecting a bunch of smashers to wake up that early in the morning just after a tournament as big as this one, isn't going to happen. There's always the option of staying one extra night at the hotel and hanging out in Maryland for another day after the tournament just to chill, but I don't know how many people would be up for this considering it'll be an extra $15 and you will miss school or whatever on wednesday. We would be able to leave at 8:00 in the morning on wednesday morning and get home around 7:00. I currently like this option the best just because hanging out with everyone after a tournament would be ****in awesome But for convience's sake, this may not be the best option for everyone. $85.60 bus ticket (with tax). If you select "no" for whether or not the credit card holder is traveling it's an extra $18. If you select yes, it isn't. If you select to recieve your ticket(s) by mail it will be an extra $3. If you select to recieve your ticket(s) by will call it isn't, but you must pick them up yourself form a location that would distribute them.

If none of these options will end up working I have one backup plan, though it sacrifices organization, which we need for this. I'm worried that with our fourth option things will go awry and I don't want this trip to fall apart.
Housing

Hotel Registration will need to be made before December 25th. I will start making lists of who wants to room with whom after I get a complete list. that will give me a month to get things organized which should be enough time. Hotel registration will need to be done in groups. All of the money for one group will need to be in one place. For instance. If I, Crash, Overswarm, and Kel are all staying in the same hotel room, everyone would have to send their money for the hotel to one person, say, Overswarm. OS would then register the hotel room for each of them as a group. I will either do it this way or just have people send me the money through paypal and have take care of it myself. Either way works, I don't mind. Just as long as if the first option is taken, no one ****s it up. Hotel rooms will be $90 a night, split among everyone staying in the room. We are for sure staying on saturday, sunday, monday, and maybe tuesday if people choose my third option for travel. We would leave from the hotel on wednesday before checkout.

Travelers

This use to be a list of those that were confirmed and/or thinking of going. I'm reducing this to only people that have confirmed that they will be going. We are not renting out a bus anymore so I'm not as worried about people backing out as it wont hurt others. But for hotel purposes and general organization, I'd much rather it if you knew for sure that you'd be able to go.

IF YOU ARE GOING I NEED TO KNOW BEFORE NOVEMBER 25TH

I will start organizing everything between then and the beginning of January.
You must order your ticket at least 21 days in advance or the price for it doubles.
You must have your hotel room reserved before December 25th or you do not have housing.
You must preregister for Pound 4 before the beginning of January or you cannot enter.

Confirmed:
Hilt
Crash
Kel
Y.b.M.
Infern
Smash64
Reneblade
Reneblade's Friend
Today
Kassandra
Mayling

If you need to contact me, post in here or send me a PM.
If you need to reach me by other means, you can contact me on Aim (Lixth@aol.com)

Discuss!

Fino

Smash Master
Sorry, as much as I'd love to... kansas will most likely be flying. After discussing it with affinity, we probably won't be going that route :urg: Put us down for have other plans but may change our mind ;D

~Fino

King~

Smash Champion
lol why is it an 11-14 hour drive from springfield and its only a 5 hour drive from my house/NEOH

you can put NEOH down as other plans

anyones welecome to stay at my place if u wanna leave with use when the time comes

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah, the bus will be making stops and it's.. well, a bus, so it'll be going slower. That's the time it takes from them to get there for a regular ticket ride, though. It may be different for a charter bus.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
i think i'm cool because i type my post into some ****ty app that i didnt make so it can change colors every letter and waste bandwidth, in the hopes that one day in the distant future, some 12 year old child will post "OMG HOW U DO THAT" and i will ****ing feel elated and magnificent as i type in response "I'm just that cool
"

raychun1

Smash Apprentice
lol.

this sounds cool, but is there any reason for ppl in IL or at least a few hours west of springfield, OH to do this???

anyone from IL planning on going?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
It may be inconvenient for some that are far off from springfield, but for those that are a few hours away, this is a lot more convenient than having to drive the whole way. So far a lot of the people going to this are 2-3 hours away or more from springfield, to be honest. We would get a bus that's closer, but it'll tack on another $20 to the ticket each.

Nope

Smash Lord
Springfield will be driving ourselves for the most part and it's only around 6 hours If I recall. I Hope to see everyone there!

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
i feel the head of my ***** twinge as i type my post into the app.. it is slowly growing bigger.... i think this time i'll do blue and cyan....... oh god here I post.... uuuuuuuuuugggggg~~~~

Kel

Smash Master
Springfield will be driving ourselves for the most part and it's only around 6 hours If I recall. I Hope to see everyone there!
It's like 7 hours from Cincinnati but there's something you're forgetting.

This is in January. That means WINTER. This has been one of the coldest SUMMERs ever on record, so the winter will probably be bad.

We have to go through the APPALACHIAN MOUNTAINS. SNOW IS EVERYWHERE AND TRUCKERS HATE YOU.

Traveling by bus would be safer for everyone (both bodily and car)

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
Anyone think Pound 4 will be the next biggest tourney after Genesis?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Nope: room in the car for one more? Ala COT4 style? I know the route pretty well considering i live in MD.

Nope

Smash Lord
Nope: room in the car for one more? Ala COT4 style? I know the route pretty well considering i live in MD.
If there is can you also House us in some form? Springfield gets first shot but your next after that

Springfield isn't scared of Snow!

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
I'm gonna try to save enough money for a plane ticket, but if that plan fails ill ride the bus.

I'll be doing melee only @ pound, not a brawl player.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I'm gonna try to save enough money for a plane ticket, but if that plan fails ill ride the bus.

I'll be doing melee only @ pound, not a brawl player.
To be honest, I'd really like melee players to get in on this. It'd make filling the bus hella quick and i get to hang out with jiano again lol.

Also for everyone that cares I'm curious to what people's opinions on where we should leave are. Our two main options are louisville and springfield ohio (although I suppose indianapolis and cincinnati are options as well).

Springfield has tickets usually around the $80 area but is a bit out of the way for some people, while louisville, cincinnati, and indianapolis are about $20 more expensive but would be in better areas for people to get to. What's more convenient for people? Having to drive farther to save money or spending the extra money for a more convenient departure and return point?

Mayling

BRoomer
BRoomer

Also for everyone that cares I'm curious to what people's opinions on where we should leave are. Our two main options are louisville and springfield ohio (although I suppose indianapolis and cincinnati are options as well.
I'm confused by this. Is renting a bus out the same price wherever it is? So, if we rent a bus in Louisville is it the same as renting it in Springfield?

If it's the same, if we get X amount of people, it doesn't matter where we rent it. So we should get the location most people are willing to travel to.

---

I think I found something awesome. It's called the "Family and friends" discount. If you buy one ticket at full price, you get 50% off three. It comes up to 212 dollars, divided by four is 53 dollars each, and you can pre-purchase them. I know the problems associated with this method, but it's something to chew on.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
It's going to be about $20 more expensive from Louisville/Cincinnati/Indianapolis than it will be from springfield.

Also, the family and friends discount only applies if you buy a ticket for full price and halves the prices of up to three people. Buying a ticket in advance online halves the price of it >.> So basically it's a rip off unless you buy your ticket last minute.

Example:
Family and Friends Discount
(let's say a ticket costs $200, which they do from louisville at full price)
Person 1: $200 (100%)
Person 2: $100 (50%)
Person 3: $100 (50%)
Person 4: $100 (50%)

Regularly buying your tickets online: (Again, $200 being the regular price)
Person 1: $100 (50%)

The only discount we're gonna be able to get is with the charter bus, if we get enough people, or unless someone's been in the military :laugh:

Mayling

BRoomer
BRoomer
lol read the rest of my post, may ^^;

It's going to be about $20 more expensive from Louisville/Cincinnati/Indianapolis than it will be from springfield.

I have read your post. And I have tried talking to you about it in chat.

I am talking about renting a bus. ._. Does it costs $3596 to rent a 47 seater bus in Louisville AND Springfield? Is the price the same? If it's the same... then get the location where most people are willing to travel, to see if you can rent a bus.

Also, the family and friends discount only applies if you buy a ticket for full price and halves the prices of up to three people. Buying a ticket in advance online halves the price of it >.> So basically it's a rip off unless you buy your ticket last minute.

Example:
Family and Friends Discount
(let's say a ticket costs $200, which they do from louisville at full price)
Person 1: $200 (100%)

Regularly buying your tickets online: (Again, $200 being the regular price)
Person 1: $100 (50%)

The only discount we're gonna be able to get is with the charter bus, if we get enough people, or unless someone's been in the military :laugh:
This is wrong. I went through the process of purchasing to make sure I was right before posting. It came to 212 dollars + 3 dollars to mail it. So, 53.75 dollars per person.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z39/Lixth/greyhound.png

The 21 Day Advance Purchase is what we would normally be getting and "No further discounts are available on this fare." Which means we would be unable to get the companion fee on it. Getting the companion fee without the 21 Day Advance Purchase brings it out to 205 for the first person and 102.50 for the other three.

Also, a bus for 47 from louisville is $4191.00. I was curious about it too, whether or not the charter bus would have the same price from wherever you get it. But the same thing applies that does to the main tickets.

Mayling

BRoomer
BRoomer
I admit defeat. I was doing one-way, not round trip. Despite the fact I had a return date. -.- Sorry. Screw the system for making me look like a *******.

Edit: The prices in your OP might be wrong then, because that's where I got the pricing for a 47 seater.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
To be honest, I'd really like melee players to get in on this. It'd make filling the bus hella quick and i get to hang out with jiano again lol.

Also for everyone that cares I'm curious to what people's opinions on where we should leave are. Our two main options are louisville and springfield ohio (although I suppose indianapolis and cincinnati are options as well).
I'd (probably) drive to Springfield, OH to catch the bus. I'll have to mapquest it first, and im in an entirely too lazy mood to open up a new tab and go through that whole process, AND im about to play dota anyway.

If you want melee players and dont think you guys will get too much brawl on me, id be happy to save 400$ and ride the bus with you all.

:D

Nope

Smash Lord
If you leave from Springfield I might be willing to Offer Housing Thursday night for people coming from far away (as long as your leaving Friday Morning when I do for the Tournament) Just let me know your schedules when you get this figured out.

IrisKong

Smash Lord
I really am going to have to see what my money situation is going to be like. I think it would be a great time but thats alot of cash and alot of time off work.

Top Bottom