• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus' Jab Revisted

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
Small discover about Samus' jab. Not sure if this is well known but there is a tipper mechanic with her jab causing two different types of knockback. Hitting with the tip of her jab has very minimal hitstun, hitting with her jab close to her body gives extra hitstun. The damage looks the same in training mode but there might be some small % differences (I don't really care that much to check that).

Useless background info:
I first noticed it when messing around in training mode when I saw my jab knock an opponent down at high %. When I tried to recreate it, I wasn't knocking him down (I was too far away). I messed with it a bit then realized that it was the spacing causing the difference.

What's New?
Well, at high % an upclose jab can combo into ftilt. So far I only tested with falco, but around mid 90% it registers as a combo. I put it on slow motion and had the falco hold shield, mash shield, and mash A to try to escape the combo and it was a guaranteed hit. Since he entered a kinda wobbly animation he can't shield, and he's not in the air so he can't airdodge out.

Better yet, even when it didn't register as a combo I wasn't able to shield or act before my ftilt came out.

Around 80%-100% I get some trips from my jab close up.

Around 140% I get a "guaranteed" buffered grab.

Around 150% Falco started to become airborne (can tech, airdodge, etc).

Summary
Overall it's pretty trivial but I just never noticed it before. I think it's best application will be for mid % ftilts and then pressuring people into getting grabbed. At really high % I suppose you could follow up for kills since it will knock them down. They can tech but at least it's something right?

I'll make a vid if you guys want to see it, but you can just test it out and see for yourself in training mode.

I'd like to dub this ... The Strong Jab

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Don't forget the ridiculous priority it has. I seriously WTF'd every time it cancelled your grounded Screw Attack.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Er, OP, training mode isn't a good way to test things. Besides the no decaying in moves, using slow-mo can add frames to attacks which screws up the results.

Basically, you have to try it out with another person to be sure if it works or not.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
1. Go to Training mode.

2. Select Captain Falcon.

3. Have the Training dummy as MK.

4. Pick a stage.

4a. Preferably Final Destination, but any other stage that isn't disruptive will work too.

5. Set the dummy's percentage to 999%.

6. grab said dummy.

7. Reset the percentage to 0%.

8. Pummel away.

Congratulations, you now have tallies on the counter combo.

What was the whole point of this?

There really was none, other than to tell you the counter is not a reliable source to tell whether or not something really does true combo into something.

However I did read the entire OP, and I'm rather impressed that this was found.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
Er, OP, training mode isn't a good way to test things. Besides the no decaying in moves, using slow-mo can add frames to attacks which screws up the results.

Basically, you have to try it out with another person to be sure if it works or not.
I didn't know about slow motion adding frames, I was using it to try to get things out as soon as possible but if it adds frames yeah that's garbage.

I'll retest in actual matches.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
Are there percentages where a buffered CS or Dtilt would be "guaranteed"?
Charge blast comes out pretty slow so I doubt it. The space it knocks you back it outside of dtilt range, but I haven't tested with everyone in the cast, perhaps it combos vs someone.

Miles.

Smash Champion
What about Jab to Ftilt.

Are there any percents that Ftilt can be followed up with a Full Charge Shot as a true combo?

IBAW

Smash Rookie
I always tried to land jab > ftilt at midlow - midhigh percentages, but stopped because I couldn't reliably get it to connect without hitting a shield at the last moment.
This information changes EVERYTHING, though. Thanks!

As an amusing side note:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hmNU0b9L_8

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
sago ain't lying bout that. it's ********, works everytime.

also things people NEED to know about charge shots, if your running and you take 2 steps forward and fire your CS it'll fire slower than if you run for 3-4 steps then fire. running and firing in mid run is a great mindgame as the blast comes out really fast, I dare xyro to frame check that. it'll be really handy as we can do taht twice then grab him the third time while running or u air to CS.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
sago ain't lying bout that. it's ********, works everytime.

also things people NEED to know about charge shots, if your running and you take 2 steps forward and fire your CS it'll fire slower than if you run for 3-4 steps then fire. running and firing in mid run is a great mindgame as the blast comes out really fast, I dare xyro to frame check that. it'll be really handy as we can do taht twice then grab him the third time while running or u air to CS.
yeah during initial dash you can't charge blast. you can however buffer a reverse one (so you can step out of the way and reverse charge blast at the end of it)

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Lawl, not exactly, sago could land one whenever he pleased on me the other day. I've landed them on the best sonic in western canada (now try telling me it's impossible).

@ Rohins: O rly? :\ What's the timing like? I can't get it :(

Top Bottom