• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Future of Competitive Play

Dekar173

Justice Man
In all honesty, competitive Brawl has two big obstacles in it's way if it wants to go big.

The first of which can easily be defined as "gay play" with the ultimate goal of winning in mind. Being competitive is one thing, but doing anything in order to win? I don't think so. But how far, is too far?

1. Infinite grabs- Of late, this hasn't been as much of an issue, but from what I can tell a few tourneys are run without any form of limitation on infinites (ICs infinites should NOT be limited, as they actually take skill and can be mindgamed out of...) easy infinites such as D3's or infinite grab releases on the other hand, should be at the very least limited, if not outright banned, EVERYWHERE.

My big beef with chaingrabs isn't about maining a character that gets infinited (at a time, Ness was my main, until I learned it was hopeless) or because I lose due to them, as Diddy is extremely difficult to land grabs on. No, in fact I encourage people to use chaingrabs to the best of their knowledge when playing against me, as it gives me the competitive edge when confronted with that obstacle in actual tournament play.

Despite how I feel, others don't necessarily feel the same way, and rightfully so, as they don't main a character who is barely ever grabbed, and even then, isn't a very CG friendly character (<3 Diddy)

DK, Mario, Ness, Luigi, Samus, Bowser, Lucas, Fox, Wolf, hell even PT mains (Squirtle you poor thing) on the other hand- they're all MAJORLY effected by it. So much in fact, that what little chances they had of being deemed viable (minus PT, Reflextoogood *cough*) was shot down by infinites.

But the players themselves aren't the ONLY ones effected by infinites/very good chaingrabs (Wario Pika D3 wtf!) but the audience is as well, and in turn, we the community are.

Who wants to watch a match that consists of grabbing to death?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v8Myoltijo

Not me, and I love Brawl. I watch Brawl matches/livestreams all of the time. If I won't watch infinite after infinite... why would any newcomers or MLG spectators want to?

2. Stalling, of all varieties- Stalling, as its name suggests, is just that, stalling a match for the sole purpose of timing it out. What does this mean for a planking MK or aircamping Wario? Well, typically it means a win. Anything to win, right? Well, sure, it's understandable that you want to take the cake and place in the green at a national level tournament. But at what cost? The cost of the fans? I don't think it's worth the risk, as without a fanbase, competitive won't get any recognition, any respect, and most importantly, any sponsors.

After reading this, I'm sure there is one specific controversial set that comes to mind for most of you:

A couple vids from said set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3WhTS9hPUM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUrDMK-ySb4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHD54aUDcAw&feature=related

Don't get me wrong, Dojo is an extremely good player, but his resorting to this sort of play doesn't display just how good he is, it displays how well he can run away once he's got the lead.

It may be fun to be playing against someone of Dojo's caliber when they're playing to win, but it isn't fun to watch, and THAT is detrimental to the community as a whole.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I couldn't want anything more for Smash than for it to be picked up on the MLG Pro Circuit this upcoming year.

Unfortunately for us, if the metagame keeps heading this way and we continue to allow it to do so, I don't think MLG will particularly WANT our game picked up.

What do you think?

tl;dr flashy may not mean unbeatable, but it IS fun to watch. Food for thought.

UPDATE: because people can't be expected to read every single post on this thread.

Infinites aren't the main argument here, and not once did I say "ban IC's infinites!!!11!" The structure of OP was supposed to ultimately lead into revealing stalling as the main problem, and not even a problem of "it makes it harder for others to win!!!" but rather- it makes it harder for our community to be taken seriously and become even better than it already is.

I'm going to try and bring something to light here:
The players are where the money is.
The money is where the sponsors are.
The sponsors are where the advertisements are.
The advertisements are where the viewers are.
The viewers are where the entertainment is.

What form of entertainment is stalling supposed to be considered?

I can sit and watch a match in which DMG is playing and not be bored, simply because I PLAY THIS GAME.

What about people who would be watching the MLG circuit at home, who DON'T play this game competitively, and understand how amazingly skill-intensive it really is to stall a match, but instead see Wario running away all day and then say to their friends "Why's that dude runnin away he should be fighting what a **** lol let's go watch ufc instead" and then flick off the livestream.

This isn't a topic about making it "more fair" for other characters or giving myself an advantage/erasing a possible threat I might run into at tournaments, this is about fixing a problem before it's too late.

Brawl has yet to be picked up by MLG, and even in the current metagame, could very well be as someone has stated simply due to how large Brawl's community is. But what then? What if matches deteriorate into campfests, simply because people actually live by the motto of "play to win" and someone finally ends up on the livestream, running away once the lead has been gained?

Brawl would be dropped without a second thought, because boring gameplay isn't going to bring in new players or viewers.

It's a dangerous possibility for the Brawl community, as we've already demonstrated in our youth with the recent issues of Planking and whether or not to ban Metaknight that we can't handle drama. What would losing a MAJOR sponsor like MLG do to us?

A note: after rereading OP and my prior statements, it seems to even me as if I'm being a lot like Yuna was when he thought airtripping was real (LMFAO). This wasn't my intention. I'm just trying to bring something to light that is a mere POSSIBILITY. I can't tell the future, so I don't know what's going to happen, I just want it to be something good ;)

cutter

Smash Champion
Regarding infinites, they should not be banned. D3 standing infinites, ICs infinites, grab releases (these aren't even infinites BTW), footstool locks, etc. should all remain legal until they somehow devolve the metagame into "infinite or lose".

Why ban something that isn't broken?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
In all honesty, competitive Brawl has two big obstacles in it's way if it wants to go big.

The first of which can easily be defined as "gay play" with the ultimate goal of winning in mind. Being competitive is one thing, but doing anything in order to win? I don't think so. But how far, is too far?

1. Infinite grabs- Of late, this hasn't been as much of an issue, but from what I can tell a few tourneys are run without any form of limitation on infinites (ICs infinites should NOT be limited, as they actually take skill and can be mindgamed out of...) easy infinites such as D3's or infinite grab releases on the other hand, should be at the very least limited, if not outright banned, EVERYWHERE.

My big beef with chaingrabs isn't about maining a character that gets infinited (at a time, Ness was my main, until I learned it was hopeless) or because I lose due to them, as Diddy is extremely difficult to land grabs on. No, in fact I encourage people to use chaingrabs to the best of their knowledge when playing against me, as it gives me the competitive edge when confronted with that obstacle in actual tournament play.

Despite how I feel, others don't necessarily feel the same way, and rightfully so, as they don't main a character who is barely ever grabbed, and even then, isn't a very CG friendly character (<3 Diddy)

DK, Mario, Ness, Luigi, Samus, Bowser, Lucas, Fox, Wolf, hell even PT mains (Squirtle you poor thing) on the other hand- they're all MAJORLY effected by it. So much in fact, that what little chances they had of being deemed viable (minus PT, Reflextoogood *cough*) was shot down by infinites.

But the players themselves aren't the ONLY ones effected by infinites/very good chaingrabs (Wario Pika D3 wtf!) but the audience is as well, and in turn, we the community are.

Who wants to watch a match that consists of grabbing to death?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v8Myoltijo

Not me, and I love Brawl. I watch Brawl matches/livestreams all of the time. If I won't watch infinite after infinite... why would any newcomers or MLG spectators want to?

2. Stalling, of all varieties- Stalling, as its name suggests, is just that, stalling a match for the sole purpose of timing it out. What does this mean for a planking MK or aircamping Wario? Well, typically it means a win. Anything to win, right? Well, sure, it's understandable that you want to take the cake and place in the green at a national level tournament. But at what cost? The cost of the fans? I don't think it's worth the risk, as without a fanbase, competitive won't get any recognition, any respect, and most importantly, any sponsors.

After reading this, I'm sure there is one specific controversial set that comes to mind for most of you:

A couple vids from said set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3WhTS9hPUM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUrDMK-ySb4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHD54aUDcAw&feature=related

Don't get me wrong, Dojo is an extremely good player, but his resorting to this sort of play doesn't display just how good he is, it displays how well he can run away once he's got the lead.

It may be fun to be playing against someone of Dojo's caliber when they're playing to win, but it isn't fun to watch, and THAT is detrimental to the community as a whole.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I couldn't want anything more for Smash than for it to be picked up on the MLG Pro Circuit this upcoming year.

Unfortunately for us, if the metagame keeps heading this way and we continue to allow it to do so, I don't think MLG will particularly WANT our game picked up.

What do you think?

tl;dr flashy may not mean unbeatable, but it IS fun to watch. Food for thought.
I don't think you can make this argument for 2 reason 1 pikachu buffered CG has been no for a will and isn't tearing out the current enviroment. 2. One player playing a type of win to secure a victory can't be considered a norm. Nice try though.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Playing brawl to win will provide boring matches, it's the unavoidable truth. If you want a better competitive game play something else.

BSP

Smash Legend
Playing brawl to win will provide boring matches, it's the unavoidable truth. If you want a better competitive game play something else.
Unfortunately, i think he's right. Brawl is a very defensive game.

Nic64

Smash Lord
lol at the Dojo vs DEHF vids, that set was so overhyped in terms of gayness, he wasn't stalling he was just being cautious and defensive, campy, but not stalling. It's no worse than Falco running away and shooting lasers all day, but when someone doesn't want to run into the **** they're stalling? Hypocrisy.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Unfortunately for us, if the metagame keeps heading this way and we continue to allow it to do so
if the metagame keeps heading this way

You guys are right, in a sense, and not understanding me, in another. I used Dojo v DEHF in order to illustrate a point, the point that though it is the accepted method of beating a Falco now (after it being demonstrated against Larry Lurr, who is arguably the best Falco to date, through this set) it is undeniably boring for the spectator.

Also, in order to clarify, infinites such as the IC's infinite, ZSS' infinite on ROB, and other more technical infinites should not be thought of when I mention infinites. D3's match-up breaking infinite is the main target in this argument.

I'm not a white knight trying to save certain weak characters in the meta-game, I'm more like someone trying to bring to light the current situation ahead for Brawl's community.

There are two possible paths for us:

A) Brawl gets picked up and put on MLG's Competitive Gaming Circuit

or

B) It doesn't

Being someone who travels for tournaments whenever possible, it's in my best interest to fight for Brawl to stay strong competitively and gain more ground.

Us (the Brawl community) gaining a spot at Evo2k9 was one of many steps necessary for the community to grow and to prosper.

BUT

With boring play, that can't happen. No one cares how skill-intensive a boring (stalling) match is, nor does anyone care how well a D3 can grab a DK.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
We didn't gain a spot at Evo2k9. Neal secured a little deal that involved allowing him to run Brawl as a side event.

Admittedly, Dedede grabbing DK over and over isn't particularly entertaining to watch, but then again, how often is that match going to happen in a situation where it'd be a match to watch/spectate/record?

Also, Melee Sheik's chaingrab is approximately as flashy as Brawl Sheik's ftilt lock.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
Melee Sheik had free wins against at least half a dozen characters.

Ban her chaingrabs then?

I ****ING hope so

<--- bowser main

seriously sheik shut down 2/3 of the cast with a simple dthrow or sometimes ftilt. I would like to play melee without chaingrabs so much more.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
The difference is that nowadays, few Melee players 1. actually use the characters that get chaingrabbed by Sheik, and 2. get very far in tournaments where spectators will watch their matches. People picked up the better characters that don't get "gayed". This hasn't happened yet in Brawl, to a large extent.

Also, the Melee community takes pride in chaingrabbing. I remember watching a "the revival of melee" match, m2k v shiz. Everyone cheered as m2k up threw him and regrabbed, lol. (kidding, if you couldn't tell by the "lol".)

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qna80MbcAAc#t=0m183s

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Just when I decide I'm going to start running the timer out, someone I've actually met from the community and I like discourages it :(

I completely understand what you're saying though.

This may sound pretty stupid...but I think Sudden Death should be played out. This is kind of a double-edged sword though...
Pros: Planking becomes much less powerful
Matches can stay entertaining and fun
Really only hurts Wario and MK...let's face it...who cares? MK loses one thing but stays amazing, and Wario does great without planking.
LuLzy intense endings to a boring match

Cons: Sudden Death is bull**** and we all know it...
Certain matchups are impossible: Ganon V Marth. If Marth gets hit, he's doing it wrong. Of course...if the match is this close...he already did it wrong.
A player with high damage in the last stock against a player with a new stock now planks. At least it gives them a better chance (The good part about this is that the lower stock player keeps their advantage, if only minor)

Other options: No time limit: Matches might be longer, but why plank? It won't help you. If a player is still stalling, they will warned by a Judge

Best option in my opinion: Better Judging. This should stop all excessive stalling.

About CGs and infinites, IDK and IDC. I wouldn't do it...but meh...

edit: Just would like to say I watch almost all high level matches. I love fast-paces ones and campy, stalling ones the same. Plank's matches were lulzy for awhile, and I liked watching the Dojo vs. DEHF set, though I honestly didn't find that one so bad. The worst part was DEHF HAD the second match, but SD's >:(

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
I personally don't understand threads like this. I feel like brawl is fine. What are going we to do, get everyone to agree to 'play with honor'? Ban things that don't look cool? Nothing will change unless something is so broken that it clearly needs banning.

Video games are just not a good spectator sport. I really only watch so many brawl replays to try to learn from it. And it's not just brawl. I play a little SF4 too, and let me tell you, watching two Sagats spam tiger shots at each other for an entire match is not flashy or fun to see either.

I don't think MLG is so shallow as to consider picking up a game because it looks flashy. They are probably much more concerned with things like the size of the community. As long as the smash community continues to grow it will be a bad business decision for them to not pick us up. And to be honest, it's not that big of a deal if they don't. People have already ran very successful national size tournaments without MLG.

I personally enjoy play-to-win style competition. In a weird kind of way I almost think it is exciting how someone like plank can make great players look stupid by simply jumping around. And at the same time it's exciting that although planking is a viable strategy, players have found ways to counter it. I like smash as a game, AND I like the nature of competitive gaming itself. I think most people only like smash as a game, but don't have a competitive mindset.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Regarding infinites, they should not be banned. D3 standing infinites, ICs infinites, grab releases (these aren't even infinites BTW), footstool locks, etc. should all remain legal until they somehow devolve the metagame into "infinite or lose".

Why ban something that isn't broken?
That's ridiculous.

Why let it elevate to that level when we can stop it now?

MarkLoo

Smash Ace
The difference is that nowadays, few Melee players 1. actually use the characters that get chaingrabbed by Sheik, and 2. get very far in tournaments where spectators will watch their matches. People picked up the better characters that don't get "gayed". This hasn't happened yet in Brawl, to a large extent.

Also, the Melee community takes pride in chaingrabbing. I remember watching a "the revival of melee" match, m2k v shiz. Everyone cheered as m2k up threw him and regrabbed, lol. (kidding, if you couldn't tell by the "lol".)

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qna80MbcAAc#t=0m183s
**** that we don't take pride in chaingrabbing. the only reason they were cheering is because m2k was from their own region and they wanted him to win.

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
How about "get a vaccine".
The nature of gaming and medicine are hardly comparable (medicine focuses on prevention). I feel my quote is much more relevant. The general consensus of most competitive video games is to play them as natively as possible, letting the rules be defined by the game itself, only banning what is 100% necessary. In b4 "but brawl is different!".

Ever heard the phrase "you're an idiot"?
Lol. Just a real productive post there!

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Melee Sheik had free wins against at least half a dozen characters.

Ban her chaingrabs then?
they didn't go from 0% to death instantly.
you still had to kill them.
and most of them only went up to 60-80%, i think?
that's about as much as you'd get from a regular combo.
except against captain falcon, then it's just death.

i think lain said ICs would be low tier if the infinites were banned.
if it makes THAT much of a difference, there's obviously something wrong.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
**** that we don't take pride in chaingrabbing. the only reason they were cheering is because m2k was from their own region and they wanted him to win.
Note the parentheses.

The nature of gaming and medicine are hardly comparable (medicine focuses on prevention). I feel my quote is much more relevant. The general consensus of most competitive video games is to play them as natively as possible, letting the rules be defined by the game itself, only banning what is 100% necessary. In b4 "but brawl is different!".
I don't see where the problem is. Why can't you "prevent" the game from becoming whatever it is you don't want it to become? If there's good evidence of a potential disease, then give out a vaccination. That could apply to just about anything.

Also, inb4rebuttal.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
IC's would be mid tier. Desynching and blizzard kick *** regardless.
Also, though grabs are difficult to get, the still me a free kill move.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
still a pretty big jump.
desynchs are awesome and way more entertaining to watch than any CG.
why not just concentrate on them?

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
The title deceived me into thinking this would be a worthwhile read.

Ah well. You got ten seconds from me. Savour them.

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
Note the parentheses.

I don't see where the problem is. Why can't you "prevent" the game from becoming whatever it is you don't want it to become? If there's good evidence of a potential disease, then give out a vaccination. That could apply to just about anything.

Also, inb4rebuttal.

In short, because I value competition more than how nice brawl is to watch. I want to see the game evolve on its own. Let the players find the vaccination. Let ME find it.

(and by vaccination I mean strategies, not rules, in case it wasn't clear.)

If people want to change the game so much I would suggest brawl+.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Unfortunately, i think he's right. Brawl is a very defensive game.
This is every game.
Good god people, have you never heard of turtling? It happens all the time in SF.
you guys do know that planking comes from melee right?
Also, look at the people who have won the large tournaments, Mew2King, Ally, ADHD, do you see them camp against each other? No. If its so defensive, why aren't defensive players winning?
Learn about Yomi, get good, stop complaing because you and the people you play suck so bad you can't get past the second layer of Yomi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTNaAUJZz5k
eat a **** people, get good, stop complaining about **** that's in every game

Brawl is huge.
Melee is huge.
Let's enjoy ourselves, shall we?

Top Bottom