• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's Week 12 Matchup: Kirby

Padô

Smash Lord
Back again after a not so long time.
By the way we are discussing this guys here:

Kirby

(OBVIOUS MAGENTA)

So I ain't got no experience on this matchup, I hope people here that played Dojo's or Chu's Kirby REALLY start discussing>

Love you Wario players.:love:

This discussion is over in terms of numbers, questions could be still answered.

Numbers taken by majority of votes: 55-45 Wario's Favor!!

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Kirby is ****ing annoying... the only thing he can reliably do to you is backair, uptilt, and grab. Don't get fsmashed and you won't die ever.

Hell, camp them if you have stock lead if you want a much easier time.

stnapknah

Smash Journeyman
its kind of like px said
if the kirby doesnt bair spam/uptilt spam then wario wins pretty easily. buuuuuuuuuuut, if he does, then its closer to even. You just have to air dodge unpredictably and stuff to get around it. its like 65-35 w/out spam but with it its like 55-45 to 60-40.

and if he plays like an ******* and spams, just camp his gay ***

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Learn to DI out of his throw combos.

You want to DI hard away and up when he does the f-throw (flip thing) to a u-air (backflip). When he does his d-throw, where he stomps on you and stuff, just don't DI badly, and jump away.

His Bair is annoying. Really, really annoying. Its fast, strong, and damaging. You are gonna get hit by it. Try and avoid and punish its little lag, rather than trade hits because he will win that battle.

Also, make sure he is having a hell of a time killing you. This is a large advantage in this matchup, he has to do much more damage than you for his kills.

Learn what you can and cant punish, be patient and try and get the first few hits off, the match is much much easier if he is coming to you; that bair is a hard wall to break.

Dilly04

Smash Cadet
Kirby can be a comboing monster if you're not careful. Fthrows and Dthrows generally lead into a string of aerials so watch out for those.

Kirby's Hammer can kill pretty well so watch for those. The hammer is generally used in the air though.

Just camp hard, watch for the Fsmash and hammers when you're in death range.
Oh and Kirby is nice and light so you can kill Kirby pretty early :D

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Watch out for Stutter stepped hammers.

If the kirby executes it perfectly, its great punishment for a f-smash. Not that you should be whiffing F-smashes though...

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
That's different though. Wario's bite extends into the air, but it doesn't have a hitbox in his leg area, so if you're trying to fall into a Wario bite that's already on the ground, his hitbox will reach before yours. I think the D3 thing happens b/c our hitbox is greater than his.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
ok i played t1mmy's kirby today and i honestly think its 55:45 us

I beat him pretty easily :\
t1mmy's not what he use to be I see, lol. Oh well, I think the match up is 45-55 Wario, though Wario is on the list of one of the characters I can't stand fighting, I don't find him so hard anymore like I use to after fighting him for so long. My biggest beef that Wario's fast and he's heavy, that does not make sense. =/

Not to mention there's not a lot of stage picks to take Wario as well... maybe except Pokemon Stadium or Jungle Japes mostly.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Don't take him to Japes unless you don't want him to die until 300%, lol. Your best and pretty much only damage dealer is backair, meaning you don't have it to kill, and you ain't gonna be landing no fsmashes when he has mountains of stage to run from you on.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Don't take him to Japes unless you don't want him to die until 300%, lol. Your best and pretty much only damage dealer is backair, meaning you don't have it to kill, and you ain't gonna be landing no fsmashes when he has mountains of stage to run from you on.
Unless we pull of the Swallowcide to the water current. Or walk of the stage until you struggle out to the left corner of the stage to get gatored. =P

The main reason I say this stage is thanks to the disjointed grounds the battle is forced in the air, meaning Bike or DACUS strategies are limited, (if you depend of them). Not to mention most of Kirby's air moves are not very punishable except his D-Air maybe, but D-Air > Grab is awesome. <3

Ahem, anyways, I see your point of view thanks to the high ceiling this stage would be hard to kill Wario as well as Kirby if you want to kill vertical, though most of Wario's kills are horizontal so I guess that's a plus for you guys.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
Kirby is light and is somewhat lacking in non-gimmicky kill moves, but his bair has range. Wario is heavy, does not really have a ranged move like Kirby's bair, and has a lot of kill moves.

This gives Wario a larger margin for error. Kirby's bair is the only thing that really works in his favor, but unfortunately it's not good enough to make up for everything else imo. That basically sums it up I think.
agreed. :p

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
50 + Farts - 50

I play both characters and have a slew of matches against leoftw. The only thing Wario has a significant advantage over Kirby with is the fart. 80% kill move (l2DI) beats 120% kill move and is easier to land. Kirby can jump out of most of Wario's early combos and Wario can DI out of Kirby's grab thingy pretty well, but never discount d-tilts and up-tilts for building damage. Wario counters that damage building with his d-air, forward throw and bite.

For kills, nobody's f-smash is killing anybody (except for pro kirbies that get their grab hits :!!), tell me why you still can't DI. Half of my kills are refreshened back-airs at like 150, the other half are forward smashes when you Wario lands on the ground near me off of an airdodge or beating out a SH attack, around 120 fresh. Wario kills me around the same % with his forward smash, but I learned to recover high and not do shenanigans (rock, smashes) until he starts flashing because at mid height off the stage you have to waste a lot of ****ing time to not get farted on and if you have to Up-B you still get farted on. Airdodges, spotdodges, everything, try to scare the Kirby after they miss something up and get that 80% fart off, because how the **** is Kirby going to hunt you down and kill you if you play runaway/chip a stock up?

I think everyone else in the thread is underestimating Kirby's ability to wall out Wario. Wario enjoys a lot of "priority" in this game just because of his high airspeed and fallspeed. Wario's attacks beat out traditionally high priority characters like Marth and Meta because they just get out and get in range faster. Kirby's b-air and up-tilt are too fast and too meaty (they last a long time). Jump around, space, anytime you feel threatened, FF B-air. It beats everything Wario has and is only punishable when Kirby ****s up. If Wario tries to follow up you can time an up-tilt (easily). On the ground up-tilt and f-smash beat all direct approaches when timed correctly, and OOS b-air punishes most of your moves and is safe. Wario needs to mindgame to break this wall and Kirby is at a strong advantage when at low percent and Wario's fart is on cooldown.

Kirby can also press a stage advantage with backairs and force Wario to either try to jump over him, attack, or back up to the edge of the stage. Wario needs to get above Kirby to be effective and is better on stages like Smashville while Kirby is better on stages that limit Wario's space and approaches like Battlefield, and they trade fairly evenly on FD. Wario should bait for grabs often and not be overly aggressive, and try to land powershields and gg with wafts.

Oh yeah, and edgeguard Kirby like a ****ing champ if he recovers low. Come from above and just force jumps with D-air and just don't get swallowcidered and you're good. Kirby's airspeed is literally 1/3 of yours and he won't be able to chase you back to the stage so you can get some cheesy edgehogs sometimes.

55-45 Wario at high levels. 60-40 Kirby if Kirby never gets wafteded.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Barely ending lag is enough for Wario to punish. That's why Wario can punish MK, a very fast character. And you haven't mentioned Wario's air camping.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Barely ending lag is enough for Wario to punish. That's why Wario can punish MK, a very fast character. And you haven't mentioned Wario's air camping.
What about the fair retreating mks, you cant really punish them, you can bait to punish by charging or something, but u cant really punish retreating fairs.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
You can punish retreating fairs... I do it plenty. Doesn't top it from being annoying, though.

Also, I know very well how Kirby can wall out Wario, but when they only reliable move you have is backair, and Wario has 3 different ways to kill you, there's no way it's even, lol. Plus we outlive you by a ton. Saying you're gonna kill us at 150% means the Wario doesn't know what he's doing. I averaged 180%+ against Dojo's Kirby.

Dilly04

Smash Cadet
Lol you make it sound like Kirby's utilt is godly...

Wario has plenty of ways to approach Kirby, and dair is probably going to get through Kirby's utilt or atleast trade hits.

Anyway, Kirby has a hell of a time trying to kill Wario.... There's no way this match up is even.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Lol you make it sound like Kirby's utilt is godly...

Wario has plenty of ways to approach Kirby, and dair is probably going to get through Kirby's utilt or atleast trade hits.

Anyway, Kirby has a hell of a time trying to kill Wario.... There's no way this match up is even.
Kirby's U-Tilt can lead to strings that can bring a good amount of damage. Sure Wario has a good amount of ways to approach Kirby, but try not to be hasty or you'll eat a Hammer for lunch. As for killing options, most effective kill options would be F-Smash, D-Smash, trying to gimp Wario then use D-Air to kill (which is hard to pull off), Air Side-B, (tricky to pull), and Stone, (little to no one uses or mastered this move). But as I said before, Wario's big and fat and big and fat so killing him is a problem. But connecting to kill Kirby with Wario's attacks isn't as easy as you think. =P

Padô

Smash Lord
Hey guys,

I took a look into this thread and found some people who didn't voted.
Those are the ones:
- Phantom X
- Masky
- Phloat
- Dynomite
- Dilly04

And I request from you some cooooooool numbers =)

Kisses,
Pado

Top Bottom