• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Official Matchup Discussion: ROB DITTOS!

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Taken from one of Dull's other threads

ROB's Advantages:

ROB's Disadvantages:

Opponent's Advantages:

Opponent's Disadvantages:

What ROB should try to do:

How opponent can stop it:

What Opponent should be trying to do:

How ROB can stop it:

Counterpicks (what ROB should pick/ What opponent will pick {If you're someone contributing from another board})
Bans (what ROB should ban 1 via stage strike, 1 via personal ban)
Preferred Neutral (what ROB wants/ What opponent wants {If you're someone contributing from another board})

Ratio:

Plus, any anecdotes/explanations you wanna give.

Anyway...

Calculating Mechanical Advantage: How to win the ROB ditto

This in-depth post will show you, the ROB ditto failure, how to become much better at the ditto. Break out that TI-9001 calculator (It’s > TI-9000!) and start taking notes, because here we go!

Step 1: Realize and accept that ROB vs ROB is a legitimate matchup.

Let’s start by dispelling the myth of what I call “theoretical dittos.” In these dittos, both ROBs jump at the same time, every time. They fire projectiles at the same time, every time, and their attacks cancel each other because they hit at the same time, every time.

This does not happen. This is also different than firing two lasers in different directions so that they both connect. We’ll get to that part in a bit. People play differently, and just because it is theoretically possible that both players could do the exact same thing, it does not actually happen nearly as often as people give it credit for. This is no different from saying that ROB’s projectiles are valuable in many matchups, but then disregarding them simply because it is theoretically possible that the opponent could powershield all of them. It won’t happen. This means that dittos aren’t automatically “50-50, they have the same tools you do, next matchup discussion please.” If you believe this, you will find yourself in a bad position when you do play the ditto. There is a clear difference between theory and practice, especially in dittos.

Why play the ditto?
If you’re good at the ditto, there’s no reason not to play it (It’s fun!), tourney match or not. If you have to counterpick a character against your own robotic doppelganger, then you’re not confident enough AS ROB to play AGAINST ROB. 50-50 is not counterpick-worthy in my opinion, and from one ROB player to another, it really says something about your skill level if you have to counterpick MK or something just to play another ROB =\

Some people hate dittos because they don’t know what to do. This applies to punishment-based characters like Falcon or Sonic. They do a lot of baiting and punishing where possible, rather than fighting and making the first move. When two punishment-based characters play dittos, neither wants to make the first move, because they are so used to punishing lag to rack up damage rather than go on the offensive. ROB can bait and punish, but he can also make the first move in dittos. Other people hate dittos just because they don’t know the matchup, and they take things for granted. A good ROB can punish another ROB well, and dittos will make you understand just how much lag (and range) a laser or gyro has. Not knowing the matchup is not a valid excuse. Every matchup has certain things you need to know, and the ditto is no exception. Backair beats Falco’s side B, you can grab release> upsmash Wario if he airbreaks, etc. There are little details that can really help you if you take the time to learn them, even in the ditto. A win is a win in tournament matches, and going to losers because you lost against another ROB won’t mean anything different than if you had lost to a different character.

Step 2: Win

Readyyyyyyyy….Go! Now what? Welcome to the first game of Rock, Paper, Scissors.
--Immediate laser beats running forward or charging gyro/shot attempt, ties with immediate shield, and loses (if missed) to jump>gyro charge/shot or grounded gyro charge/shot.
--Charging gyro beats immediate shield and jump forward>airdodge to avoid the laser, possibly beats jumping>gyro (depending on the length of the stage… if you fire it, will you eat a laser/gyro in return?), and loses to immediate laser (could tie on larger stages if you can powershield in time)
--Defensive options: Jump forward>airdodge/read opponent or shield, both of which will ensure that you don’t take damage and can use possible lag to charge a gyro or fire a laser, but at the risk of having a weaker gyro, possibly a gyro in the opponent’s hand on a large stage like Final D, not to mention a positional weakness on Frigate (you may start on the left platform of Frigate, where either of these actions will put you at an immediate disadvantage).

All of this will be decided in the first two seconds of the match. What would YOU do in their position? What are THEY trying to do? How tempting is it to immediately drop through that platform on Battlefield? Would you do it if you knew the other ROB could angle a laser down, hit you, and drop down himself during the laser’s impact? If you stay up and charge a gyro, will the other ROB drop down and shoot a laser at you?

ROB’s laser has transcendent priority. It will go through the gyro and stop it in its tracks and/or push it back a little bit (weak) or knock it back in the air (MANzer) if the two collide. ROB’s laser also has lag. A LOT of lag. This is lag you tend to not notice outside of the ditto because nobody else can really punish it if you miss. When you fire a laser in the air and you nearly land on the opponent’s obvious gyro, you’ll notice it. Get used to floating down offstage and expecting the opponent’s laser to come as well. Airdodging is the best choice to avoid the laser when recovering.

Gyro in dittos:

This deserves a separate section because of its importance and effect. In other matchups, the only way you have to deal with a gyro is if you send it out and the opponent grabs it. This is important because if you see a gyro on the ground, it’s yours- otherwise it’ll disappear very quickly. This isn’t the case in dittos, though. If you don’t shield the gyro, learn to deal with a spinning gyro on the stage. That being said, having the opponent’s gyro is amazing. It makes me think of 1:20 here for some reason
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaT2pBiS-JI&feature=related
You get the opponent’s gyro, you had better get something out of it. Damage, position, mindgames (glide tossing two gyros up at the edge is too much win!). You’ve just taken away half of the other ROB’s projectiles. You can now use your own gyro, your laser, or the other gyro, whereas the other ROB must approach(!). Not that approaching in ROB dittos is a bad thing, but it’s certainly a disadvantage when your opponent has your gyro in hand.

You get the gyro, you don’t give it back for just anything. You can camp until he gets yours, you can punish his approach, mix it up. Don’t be predictable about throwing it at him or what attack you use after it- you don’t want him to get it back or punish you. If you hold A when grabbing the gyro, you can still use smash attacks with the Cstick, charging them with Z while still holding the gyro. Glide toss up is nice when the other ROB is above the stage, especially when recovering, because even if the up B is cancelled, it’s hard for ROB to steal it because of the hitbox compared to the airdodge catching area.

The gyro, despite being this good, has a LOT of lag after you shoot it (or if you press it while already having it on the stage). Use this lag to get a laser on the other ROB if you’re far away.

Spacing/Approaching
Ftilt is nice. Getting an Ftilt powershielded and then getting hit with one in return is not so nice. Dtilt is nice. Getting hit with Fairs is not so nice. Short hopped Nairs and double fairs (or fair>bair) are nice. Getting shieldgrabbed or Dsmashed afterwards is not so nice. It’s Rock-Paper-Scissors game number two. It’s no different than deciding what to do against another character when close; just get used to mixing it up. Dtilt has surprising range, and if you ever find yourself losing forward air clashes, it’s because you’re not buffering yours. You can tell the difference between sliding your finger from Y or X to A (or C stick) and jumping and then pressing it. If you hit with the first fair, you can get a second one in. Don’t expect to get much before the position resets, either.

Offstage/Edgeguarding
So you’ve racked up a bit of damage and you’ve gotten ROB offstage… can you edgeguard a ROB? Yes!

If you’re ON the stage, always consider whether or not you are about to be harassed with incoming lasers/gyros. Can you follow up your attack with a laser/gyro? Consider putting your own gyro right at the edge of the stage unless the ROB is recovering high, in which case it may be better to use the time to fire a quick gyro and grab it rather than charge one. If the ROB makes it to the ledge and starts dropping down, Z dropping the gyro if it’s in hand works well, otherwise leave the gyro on the edge, run off, and Bair him. If no gyro is around, I like to space Bairs against the edge, making it very hard to drop down and double jump with anything. Get-up attack has surprisingly large range, but if shielded, can be punished immediately. Shield beats Get-up attack but not always a mix between rolling or getting up normally, both of which Bair can take care of.

The winner of ROB dittos offstage is the one that makes the SECOND MOVE. By all means, continue hitting with the fairs if you can, but if you’re not directly next to each other, the winner is the one that forces the mistake. Bair/Dair are nice knockback moves (ROB won’t die from just one), but if you’re not smart about it, the second move will be the upair, doing massive damage to you. Baiting an airdodge and hitting with nair is a good example, as is Z-dropping the gyro and reading the opponent. If you’re the one coming back, Bair can really help you if you recover high in order to get away from an incoming upsmash. If you’re offstage, TRUST YOUR FUEL! A lot of times, you’ll get punished for immediately looking to grab the edge. If you don’t always rush back, you can punish a badly-spaced aerial with a 20+% upair or a nice fair/nair of your own.

Killing
Upthrow is a last resort, but don’t spam smashes when you’re in this range- it’s painfully obvious. Fsmash kills, MANzers (charged lasers) can kill, and the rest of the usual moves still do. Upsmash in dittos is a LOT more effective due to ROB’s blind spot below him. ROB, despite being floaty, isn’t exactly light, and it’ll usually take at least 130-140 percent before another ROB’s smashes or fresh aerials will kill (upsmash kills lower, around 110-ish). A lot of KO opportunities, though, will come in these offstage battles. Eventually, ROB’s fuel will run out if he doesn’t reach the ground. Use this to your advantage- if you’re baiting an action, take note of how much fuel is left. How desperate will the other ROB be to get back on the stage- can you set up a kill by “letting” him on?

I like forcing offstage ROB battles so I still like Frigate or even Cruise (risking a serious MK cp lol) in the ditto. Pick stages you normally do well on, just keep in mind that you might always be in danger of the other ROB’s laser/gyro, even if you’re far away. Learn to powershield them in order to make approaching a lot easier. Jab is awesome too. At 3 frames, it’s faster than dsmash, so you can win quite a few close-quarter encounters by jabbing.

…Abrupt end.

Oh yeah, I think I have a video of myself doing the side B thing to survive and having the side B reflect the other ROB's MANzer, saving me from the hit lol

TheMike

Smash Lord
First off, great text Dath Waffles =P

Obviously, the ratio is 50:50. What depends here is Player Skill.

The Gyro information is perfect. Offstage, the player has to EG correctly as ROB's recovery allows him to do so and ROB has great EG options, such as Bair, which is my favorite. Projectlies are also nice ^^
Offstage at this macth is really important as the player can rack up damage quickly thanCamping, for example. Make sure I'LL NOT gimp the other ROB, so the only option is edgeguarding correctly so as to rack up damage =0

To get the opponent off stage Fair string is great, Fthrow is also nice
Oh well, and counterpick stages is a comfort stage for the type of player, if he is agressive or not, u know =P

Nothing else to say and ur text seems perfect to me

★J.G WentWorth★

Smash Champion
Just some random things to keep in mind.

1) Like you mentioned, getting your Gyro taken away is one of the worst things that can happen in the match. That's why in the ditto I tend to play more aggro(but never forget about spacing!) and save the gyro for when they're offstage. (like if they're offstage and use their upB i KNOW they can't airdodge) so they get a nice gyro to the toaster head if I'm not close enough to hit with an aerial. Or just save it for offstage just to put more pressure on them, making their recovery more obvious.

2) I see alot of ROBs still shooting weak lasers even after their opponents are past 130 . Once they're a kill percent, let your laser Charge completly! that ho kills and is extremely good for gimps offstage.

3) GRAB, pummel, pummel , pummel as much as you can, until the grounded grab release, then dtilt to regrab. I do this ALOT in the ditto,Idk why it rapes so hard but it does so w/e lol. they trip 89% of the time, I guess it's because R.O.B's such a big target.

And as for stages. As ROB you should learn how to angle your lasers so they bounce off those weird surfaces. Like Yoshi's Island for example. It catches alot of people of gaurd, even moreso in the ditto. Frigate is also really good when it comes to angling laser, definatly my favorite CP. If you like smashville don't forget that you can shoot a fully charged gyro at a balloon which can lead to stuff. Just pick w/e stage your most comfortable on.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Also, don't do a landing nair when recovering mid/high near the edge. It's not a good feeling when you get shieldgrabbed and rethrown, put in the same position with less fuel.

Deadweight

Smash Ace
DO
NOT
APPROACH
I played vs Sudai a bunch last week
I found that the R.O.B approaching has a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry large disadvantage...
Imho get a quick lead and grab the ledge. Force them to approach.
We know better than anyone our anti-planking methods.
Uair + Nair both eat through a zdropped gyro.
Just play smart off the ledge and score easy points :3
Charge your gyro for no more than a second or two at a time. eating laser and losing your charge is not so fun.
When rob is above you bait air dodges and **** with u-air ;o

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
Readyyyyyyyy….Go! Now what? Welcome to the first game of Rock, Paper, Scissors.
Heli-Jump counters everything. No projectile will hit you (even if aimed that high, it'll reflect) and you get to approach without being close enough to be punished. Only disadvantage is they get time to charge a gyro if that was their opening move. It's kind of a lame opening, but I use it vs characters like Falco sometimes too.

The winner of ROB dittos offstage is the one that makes the SECOND MOVE. By all means, continue hitting with the fairs if you can, but if you’re not directly next to each other, the winner is the one that forces the mistake
Last weekend in team friendlies, I let Deadwieght WoP me off the stage with f-air, then FF under him and got to the ledge as he fell to his death from running out of fuel. Quite hilarious. ^_^

Smash Phoenix said:
3) GRAB, pummel, pummel , pummel as much as you can, until the grounded grab release, then dtilt to regrab. I do this ALOT in the ditto,Idk why it ***** so hard but it does.
Actually, you both have the same chance of getting a d-tilt out so if he spams it, they can sometimes d-tilt you instead.

Deadweight said:
DO
NOT
APPROACH
two camping ROBs facing off? you'd end up with a 3 stock sudden death.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
In other news...

This means that dittos aren’t automatically “50-50, they have the same tools you do, next matchup discussion please.”
Yes, they are. That doesn't mean you can dismiss knowing the match-up entirely, especially if you don't have a better CP. You need to know how to exploit your own character's weak points while protecting yours better. It's like any other match-up, except with the knowledge that whatever works for you will also work for the opponent and you gotta be better at not letting them in those positions. :p

If you’re good at the ditto, there’s no reason not to play it (It’s fun!), tourney match or not. If you have to counterpick a character against your own robotic doppelganger, then you’re not confident enough AS ROB to play AGAINST ROB. 50-50 is not counterpick-worthy in my opinion, and from one ROB player to another, it really says something about your skill level if you have to counterpick MK or something just to play another ROB =\
"Playing to win." There's no reason to play a 50/50 match-up if you play a CP with a significant advantage. That's like calling someone out for CPing Frigate Orpheon instead of Smashville. Don't be stupid.

Sudai

Stuff here
Yeah, the voice that called Ruse a ******* in the beginning and said "Sakurai Combo" was me. That's Manko I'm talking to about Ditto. :o

sneakytako

Smash Lord
I think good stage picking is essential to this match up.

Getting good at CP stages that are not a generally good stages for robs helps. I like taking robs to Norfair or Pictochat, especially when I know they don't play on the stage often. (usually signified by a groan lol)

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Last time I played a ROB ditto on PictoChat, I started the match off by getting DTilt tripped as the spike transformation popped up, getting wall infinitied and killed by the stage.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
No one should post in this thread again. I would close it if I could. Just let Fishy write the novel on it and go on with your robot lives.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
ROB's Advantages: I guess this isn't necessary to state for obvious reasons

ROB's Disadvantages: I guess this isn't necessary to state for obvious reasons

Opponent's Advantages: I guess this isn't necessary to state for obvious reasons

Opponent's Disadvantages: I guess this isn't necessary to state for obvious reasons

What ROB should try to do: Camp, do not approach, deadweight said some good stuff. Rob can't kill from afar so if ur in kill range, u should camp more

How opponent can stop it: Power sheilding approach/counter camping.

What Opponent should be trying to do: Camping then getting in for the kill

How ROB can stop it: Power sheilding approach/counter camping.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
This matchup is all about two things:

Getting your opponent in the air

Getting your opponent off stage

If what you're doing isn't doing one of those two things and doesn't involve hitting them with a fully charged gyro, it's probably a waste of time.

F-tilt is your best ground move simply because it's safe-ish and removes a decent amount of the stage for the opponent after you connect.

While d-smash is good to throw out simply because it puts your opponent in the air, your best combo-starter is by far your dash attack. It doesn't send them up as high as a d-smash, and let's you position yourself carefully. U-tilt is safer and does the same thing, but harder to do. If you ever have an opportunity to do either, do it. Dash attack is better than grab in this matchup.

When ROB is in the air, you can now punish him pretty badly. Your ultimate goal is to get a u-air or two, so try to get behind ROB and either short hop u-air or u-tilt to u-air. If you short hop a u-air and don't hit with the final hit, they won't go flying. This is great, because you can shield to u-tilt or grab all of ROB's aerials, starting it all over again.

If you are stuck above a good ROB, using your second jump is generally a bad idea. They'll land before you land, and you'll be in the same position except without your second jump in a few seconds anyway. If you know you're going to get hit, change the direction you are facing and your position in the air by using side-b. If you're lucky, you'll hit him and land. If you don't, you'll probably get punished, but you should be out of auto-grab/u-tilt range, are now facing the right direction, and can DI towards the ledge if you get hit.

A less risky, but more technical, approach is to simply fast fall a fair even if you are facing the wrong direction the moment your opponent jumps. He's probably going to u-air you, and since you've already committed to a move you should be SDIing downwards. Again, if you're lucky the fast-falled fair hit with the back of the hitbox and you are free. If you are getting hit with a u-air, mashing down on both the control stick and c-stick will pop you out beneath ROB (free u-air right here if you have good reaction time). If they short hop the u-air, don't bother trying; just go left or right, whichever way allows you to fair again when you get out.

If the ROB is bad at spacing, full jumps when you are to low, or jumps twice for some reason, air dodge. Ya never know.

The important thing to know is that there is absolutely nothing ROB can do if another ROB is underneath him. We're used to this in most matchups, so we learn to take a hit or two, put ourselves in a good position, then are good to go. The best place to go in most matchups is the ledge.

If you are able to grab the ledge, you want one thing: getting a gyro on the stage. If you shoot a gyro at the edge in the right spot, it "clips" onto the stage and just sits there spinning, no matter how full it is charged. This is basically a free ticket to getting on the stage. If you feel the need to jump and aerial, your best bet is always fairing their shield and then bairing. They can punish you after the fair, but if they don't you get behind them on the stage and can do whatever you want.

You can try normal shield pressure games with ledge hopped gyro/laser until the gyro shield pokes too.

When recovering, you want to hit your opponent with a u-air, and you don't want to be edgeguarded. Recover low. Recovering high puts you in a bad position unless the stage gives you a place to go or your opponent is a bit too eager. Recover low, be patient and don't get dair or bair spiked, and u-air at the right time. Make your opponent want to stay on the stage so you can use as little fuel as possible. If a ROB goes off stage and you can go underneath the stage, do so if you think you can beat him in a race. Your goal is to make it back and/or get a u-air, not to conserve fuel. Once you get on the ledge you should be fine as far as fuel is concerned vs. ROB.

When edgeguarding ROB, forget about fairs. They're good as KO moves or as tiny hits to remove fuel if your opponent is low. Other than that, they're near worthless. If your opponent is at low %, just accept you can't gimp him if he's good and go for the u-air. Fall with them, wait for them to up+b, then immediately jump and u-air them. You can sometimes even do this twice. They will inevitabley recover high, so if you plan it right and get back to the stage you can start a new game in your favor where you try to deal even more damage.

For KOs, a fresh fair or nair can often do the trick, but they are unreliable. We've all seen ROBs in dittos live to ridiculous percentages. The key to edgeguarding a ROB that is at kill % (about 100-120%) is fully charged lasers and gyros. ROB can't air dodge when he up+bs. If you fall with him while slightly above him, you can always hit him with a fully charged laser or gyro. If you're on stage it is harder, but sometimes still possible. ROB can catch the gyro with a fair, but this is uncommon at close range. Perfecting the use of these as edgeguarding tools will get you KOs up to 50% faster, which is HUGE.

If you get a grab, f-throw and b-throw are alright, but I'd recommend practicing with d-throw and u-throw. U-throw is surprisingly effective at higher % because it allows you to double jump u-air or nair, and if spaced correctly, let's you fall and try something again. Two tries is better than one, especially if the first makes them air dodge happy.

A good way to get early KOs (80-100% on stage) is to get underneath a ROB when he is falling and to charge u-smash. If you are standing where the ROB will land as opposed to directly underneath him, just let go of the u-smash for when his air dodge ends and you'll still hit him with a charged u-smash. You have to time the charge to get a reactionary air dodge, or this will never work.

F-smash is near worthless in this matchup, so save it for really high % to get them off stage or get a crazy KO.

Spot dodging isn't that great in this matchup either. Get in the habit or rolling away (for serious) and most ROBs will be standing in place mashing down on the c-stick while you get out of trouble. If someone catches on you might wanna stop though... you can hit ROB with a fully charged gyro out of a roll.

Jab is one of your best all around "poke" move, much better than d-tilt. Hitting with both hits of the jab is A-OK and does decent damage for what it is, and a single jab opens you up for f-smash, grab, or even u-tilt if they DI towards you or you're super close. While jab doesn't have that much range, it can be used fairly safely OoS when ROB lands out of u-tilt range and might set up better than d-smash. D-tilting in this matchup doesn't really do much, it doesn't set up for anything and doesn't do much damage.

Changing your direction with gyro canceling is pretty important in this matchup. If you jump towards a ROB and he starts to shield, immediately reverse gyro, cancel, then fast fall a bair. If you don't, you're getting punished. If you're falling and a ROB is trying to get in your super blind spot (below and behind you), you can also gyro cancel... beware that htis sets you up to eat a full u-air.

A viable approach in this matchup is an up+b. If you do it so it launches you at max run speed, you can fair through their shield and land on the other side, or simply bair and land safely. You'll lose a lot of position if you don't hit them, but you should be safe if spaced correctly.

Don't go for dairs. It's stupid, risky, and even if you win a match by spiking someone 3 times you probably won't get another one. Just don't bother with it, go for the guarantees.

Don't glide toss a ROB on the ground. They will shield you and then attack you. If a ROB wants to be flashy and attempts to glide toss, just catch their gyro, shield their gyro then grab, shield their gyro than immediately d-smash, shield their gyro and roll in the direction it came from, simply do retretaing fairs to catch the gyro and/or hit opponent, shield gyro then retreating fair, or shield their gyro and spam jab. It's basically a mix-up game in your favor. You can do practically any of the above and win out more often than not, especially with the d-smash.

If you're wanting to glide toss, your best mindgame is to be near your opponent, short glide toss backwards to dash attack (picking up the gyro). If you hit, awesome. Hit them with the gyro if you want, but look for u-airs. Be tricky and z-drop u-air to catch it again if you want. If you don't hit and are punished, you have a gyro (thus giving you a free ticket to the ground by simplying throwing it down or z-dropping it below you.

If ROB is in the air, glide tossing is another story. It allows you to force an air dodge and get a guaranteed hit with practically whatever you want. Can't ask for more than that.

If you grab the opponent's gyro and don't have a plan with it, glide toss it straight up and continue playing, it'll be out of commission for a bit.

Side-b, save for randomly using it to land on stage or when knocked off stage to reflect incoming projectiles, is pretty useless.

If you want one more mindgame for this matchup, I'd suggest ducking. Ducking makes people think you are going to laser for some reason, and often makes them shield. They then realize "oh, he's not lasering" and drop their shield. Use this to your advantage by ducking, then standing up and shooting a fully charged gyro for about 20%.

In short, matchup check list is this:
duck, then shield incoming laser/ charge gyro or double jump charge gyro and get ready to air dodge
get dash attack, u-tilt, u-air or double u-air combo
get more u-tilts, u-airs, etc.
get chip damage in, save nair, bair, fair is possible.
get them off stage
edgeguard with more u-airs to allow for on-stage KO or edgeguard with fresh fair, nair, fully charged gyro, or fully charged laser.

Top Bottom