• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Venonat evolves into Butterfree?

Spire

III
BRoomer
I wouldn't be surprised if a number of you have seen this theory before, but from the obvious similarities, it is inferred that Butterfree (Venomoth) was originally designed to be the evolution to Venonat, with Venomoth (Butterfree) being the final evolution of Caterpie. I've cooked up a couple of diagrams for you guys to look at:

Makes sense, doesn't it?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I can see the Venonat - Butterfree connection, though the Caterpie - Metapod - Venomoth chain makes just as much sense as if it ended with Butterfree.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Excuse me while I remove the bricks I'm suddenly sitting on.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Conspiracy!

We must go send 1,000,000,000,000andalotmorezeros Emails to Nintendo about this!

Zomg Unseen64 will love this too :OOOOOO

Mewter

Smash Master
Nice discovery, Spire, though I don't see the "Original?" Caterpie line, except for maybe he eyes.
The answer is probably yes, though. That's...
Awesome. I would have loved it to be like that. But it's fine as it is, now, too.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Some fun facts!

In the original, original Sugimori artwork of Caterpie, it actually had six legs. The last pair was dropped before creation of the game in which it has four legs.

Just to point out, Venonat and Butterfree share these similarities:
- Same eyes, mouth, and teeth
- Same antennae
- Same hands
- Both are the only out of all five of these Pokemon to have pronounced feet
- Both are the same purple

Caterpie and Venomoth have the following similarities:
- Both originally had six legs
- Both have the closest resembling eyes out of these five Pokemon
- Venomoth actually resembles an insect far more than Butterfree, particularly Caterpie's general shape (Metapod actually moreso)
- Both share an antennae-crest atop their heads

zrky

Smash Lol'd
This is great, but Venonat has the "fuzz" that Caterpi lacks, and Venomoth has the moth 'fuzz' on the body that isn't as prevalent in a butterfly.

Venomoth has the wing structure of a moth, Caterpi doesn't seem to have the structure of a moth larvae. Butterfree has the wing and body structure of a butterfly, and venonat, if extended and segmented, looks more like a moth larvae than butterfly larvae.

Did that make sense?

Spire

III
BRoomer
Yeah, of course it did.

But Venonat's and Butterfree's similarities are far more outstanding than anything else.

Like, they're Charmander-Charmeleon-Charizard worthy.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd believe Caterpie to Venomoth more if Venomoth was green. ...Other than that, I don't see a real similarity

I've known Venonat looked like Butterfree for a while...A little too much

zrky

Smash Lol'd
But Venonat's and Butterfree's similarities are far more outstanding than anything else.
True, but only when comparing Venonat with Venomoth/Butterfree. If you put Metapod and Caterpi into it, Venomoth loses it's place, and Butterfree now has similarities to two "possible" evolutions.

Maybe Sugimori intended to make Butterfree an evolution to Venonat, but then kind of decided to go with a butterfly structure.

zaneebaslave

Smash Journeyman
Spire, do you just sit there at your computer, staring at stuff, until you figure something out?

i mean, this entire idea seems like you sat there looking at pictures of pokemon for hours and all of the sudden said "Venomat looks like Butterfree!"

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Spire, do you just sit there at your computer, staring at stuff, until you figure something out?

i mean, this entire idea seems like you sat there looking at pictures of pokemon for hours and all of the sudden said "Venomat looks like Butterfree!"
He implied in the OP that he didn't create this theory.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
The main problem with this is the natural evolution of a caterpillar to a cocoon to a butterfly, which Venomoth doesn't look anything like. Venonat and Butterfree do share some eerily close similarities, but it makes a lot more sense the way it is now.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Because of the evolution change, "Venofly" probably was given more distinct moth features, giving us today's Venomoth. Butterfree probably was completely unchanged.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
The main problem with this is the natural evolution of a caterpillar to a cocoon to a butterfly, which Venomoth doesn't look anything like. Venonat and Butterfree do share some eerily close similarities, but it makes a lot more sense the way it is now.
Actually caterpillars become both butterfly and moth so it wouldn't be that farfetch'd(lol) to have a worm evolve into a moth(See wurmpul) I think it was mostly because pokemon was targeted to such a young demographic at the time that it wouldn't have made sense to kids to see caterpillar->cocoon->moth. Plus Gnats don't become butterflies ever.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Venonat is not based on any particular animal. Its name in various languages means entirely different things.

English and Japanese: Venonat's name is likely a combination of venom and gnat, a small insect. Its Japanese name is possibly a combination of こんちゅう konchū, meaning insect, and the word pang, which is the sound that a radar makes, referring to its radar-like eyes. It could also be a shortening of コンパウンド アイ, compound eye, both referring to its eyes and its ability.

German: Bluzuk: from "Blut" (blood) and and a form of "zutschen" (to sip)
French: Mimitoss - From mignon (cute), mite (moth), and English toss.
Korean: 콘팡 Konpang
Chinese (Taiwan): 毛球 Mao Chio - "Hair/fluff ball".

Therefore, it could evolve into any type of insect (just about).

M.K

Level 55
Oh snap, they do look alike! O.O'
That's really strange, great find Spire.
I've always thought of Venonat as....ahem.....a dust bunny. >.>

Spire

III
BRoomer
Oh snap, they do look alike! O.O'
That's really strange, great find Spire.
I've always thought of Venonat as....ahem.....a dust bunny. >.>
It's certainly more like a Dust Bunny than anything else.

Perhaps it's sort of based on the "mothball", but in a larvae form.

Mclena45

Smash Apprentice
They probably did this:
Nintendo made the Venonat - Butterfree line.
Nintendo also made a Venomoth but decided to give it some pre evos.
Nintendo made Caterpie and Metapod.
Nintendo screwed up and but Caterpie and Metapod with Butterfree and Venomoth with Venonat.
Nintendo decided to be cheap and didn't send a fixed version of R/G/B in Japan so in followed us here.
4 generations down the line Nintendo is still going "Aw ****".

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I think it more along the line of Nat evolves into butterfly!
Other guy: Uhhh, no it doesn't, buterflies come from caterpillar and cacoons.
Really? Aw ****. We'll, I got to give this thing something to evolve into.
Thus, venomouth was born.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I remember reading something about Nintendo messing up with the pokedex or something and they just tried to cover it up at the end.

As a child, I was always wondering why Venonat looked like Butterfree, so I'd always evolve my Venonaut pokemon card into a Butterfree when I played with my friends.

marshal

Smash Rookie
This Butterfree/Venomoth peculiarity actually appears to be a mistake. While there are plenty of different species that look similar, it's clear that Butterfree and Venomoth had their sprites switched somehow (Personally, I like to imagine it happening like those old Reese's Peanut Butter Cups commercials). First, compare the appearances of Venonat and Butterfree: Butterfree shares Venonat's feet, hands, mouth, eyes, antennae, and body colour - especially notable considering the fact that Venonat is nothing more than a purple puffball with said features. Venomoth, on the other hand, has absolutely nothing in common with Venonat. Next, compare Venomoth to Caterpie and Metapod. Again, they have a suspicious amount in common.
-----------------------
spiritual enlightenment
Virtual PBX

Top Bottom