• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF GYM:(Injuries abound XD)

Have you worked out today?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • I will right now.

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
Announcements

09/03/10: The OP needs a lot of updating for members and goals. All workout information is accurate though. I shall update soon!

Mission Statement

Hello! My name is Tiger Woods(not really) and I'm a full time geek and a part time jock. Now we all know that a common stereotype of gamers is that we are fat and unhealthy or skin and bones. If this is you how about we change that stereotype!!! If you're already pretty fit, why not get RIPPED? I don't have a degree or anything(yet... harhar) but I think this support group should help us get fit(or fitter)!

This is the Smash Gym. Together we shall fight a war against being unhealthy! Join a community that is hellbent on obtaining a better physique. Man or woman, old(guess we don't really have old people) or young! Help others help themselves get a 6-pack !

*Note to those who joined the last gym*

I didn't mean to ditch you guys.... A pretty traumatic thing happened so I left for a year or something like that. But I'm Back! :bee:

Three Rules

1)Keep it health oriented. Not too strict on this one though. Off topic discussions or small talk go here: http://www.smashboards.com/group.php?groupid=631

2)No Flaming. Banter is allowed but all rules still apply. Stay positive. Attacking someone who is trying to get healthy will anger me.

3) You must do a push-up after reading this. NOW! Any violation of this rule is inexcusable. I refuse to awknowledge you if you break this rule.

Membership

Post in the thread and you become a member. If you yourself are fit and experienced, please help me help the newbies by sending me a pm or directly answering a question. Stay in touch with each other and keep at it. If you feel hopeless or just need a more personal helping hand feel free to message me. Also, I'm marking all members who have experience with an asterisk. Feel free to direct questions at them as well. Can't all swamp me now XD.

1)TigerWoods*
2)Smash_Gigas
3)KrazyGlue
4)chize*
5)Brookman
6)wool
7)shinobiknight0*
8)NullVortex
9)Chaco*
10) roacherman
11) 1UPChris
12) pikaville
13) JLynn943
14) CAOTIC*
15) Zero Beat
16) HawaiianJigglyPuff
17) StinkomanFan
18) urdailywater
19) Forever Zero*
20) Junglefever
21) mariobrouser
22) S.O.L.I.D.
23) Chronodiver Lokii
24) dragonblooded
25) COHEED AND CAMBRIA
26) MenoUnderwater
27) nux23
28) Sinz
29) Dark Ryu
30) dawgbowl
31) thesage
32) mr.fizwidget
33) Cherry64*
34) GOD!
35) Black Waltz
36) Ozz.
37) Evil Eye
38) Healer
39) Denzi
40) CRASHiC
41) Sephiroths Masamune
42) Aqua.
43) LunarNOVA
44) 321BOOM
45) XFadingNirvanaX
46) Grandeza
47) Wenbobular
48) MattDotZeb
49) 2cool4u
50) CluelessBTD*
51)
L__
52) -ACE-
53) Big Red
54) Dark_Bomb
55) Nike 20*

57) lonejedi
58) toondiddy
59) Falcade
60) PurDi
61) Yink
62)The Dinkoman
63) Rob_Gambino
64) adumbrodeus
65) S l o X
66) Victra
67) jugfingers
68) Indigo-Jeans
69) shmot
70) t3h Icy
71) MASAHIROx

Tiger's Tips and Beginner's Guide

:newbie:

-If you are just beginning, I suggest you follow this. It's a pretty kick-butt site too, as it contains various workouts and tips. If you're a bit lost just ask and I'll help you personally
http://scoobysworkshop.com/schedbeginning.htm

-Here is shmot's newbie workout!
http://www.gamerhold.com/forum/index.php?topic=17149.0

-A nice push-up workout for all of you without access to a gym: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X72LtRcXR6g

-A nice workout for those with just a floor.
http://www.wimp.com/spartantraining/

-I get a lot of questions about abs(rightfully so). This really works(Edit:If link does not work since it breaks down a lot, PM me or just ask me about it).
http://dailyburn.com/workout_programs/31685-Abb-Ripper-Workou

-Please don't buy a useless piece of junk for $5000. When you see commercials for "innovative and unique" exercise equipment, laugh at it. Simple, well known machines are where it's at.
EDIT: Unless it's a shake weight :eek:: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S3C4AC908w

-Don't "diet", just be sure to make healthy choices with your food. What I mean is don't get all worked up counting calories or make sure-fail promises to yourself like giving up candy FOREVER. Diets fail because the person who is dieting isn't enjoying his/herself. You know the expression, "A man who enjoys his work has never worked in his life?", well same goes for diets! Instead of resolving yourself to "diet", try and eat healthy foods you LIKE! There are plenty of different fruits and veggies out there for your enjoyment. Please remember skipping meals will decrease your metabolism, which will inadvertently make you fatter(in other words, EAT!!). Preventing yourself from eating is bad bad baddd.

-STRETCH! It increases the efficacy of your workouts as well as reduces the chance of injury(so you can keep working out without having to recover).

-Here is a link to the Old SWF Gym. It has some detailed workouts in it.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=213464

-Unless you have a will as strong as diamonds(there ARE some of you out there), don't make drastic changes to your lifestyle. Instead, make small changes over a long period of time.

-Don't make stupid unreachable goals for yourself; make ones that you'll reach and keep making new goals every time you accomplish one.

-PATIENCE! Things come slowly but surely. Keep your head up and watch the results come!

-Check out the fitness forum courtesy of Shmot! http://www.gamerhold.com/forum/index.php?board=67.0

So get posting! Describe yourself and your goals, and we'll all help each other out!
:bluejump:

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
Alright, so I've been eating less junkfoods and began going for jogs. I've dropped several pant sizes, and want to start building my torso. The only exercise I know of is just sit-ups. Any other suggestions?

Notice: I prefer not to use exercise equipment, just my surroundings.

I'm breaking Rule #2.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Alright, so I've been eating less junkfoods and began going for jogs. I've dropped several pant sizes, and want to start building my torso. The only exercise I know of is just sit-ups. Any other suggestions?

Notice: I prefer not to use exercise equipment, just my surroundings.

I'm breaking Rule #2.

First Gigas, I'm really glad you've been getting better in shape! When you start getting a bit more built and if you approve maybe we could use you as an example? :chuckle:

Second Gigas, I saw your "spoiler". Do it or get out of my thread. :lick:

Third, sit-ups don't really work as well as a good crunch. Lie flat on your back with your knees up and with your hands behind your head(not pushing, just behind) and slowly raise your face to the ceiling without lifting your lower back off the ground. (Perfect Crunch). Also you can add side crunches, which is basically the same thing except you touch your elbow to your knee. After that you can do leg raises, which are lying completely flat on the ground, raising your legs, and when they are at a 90 degree angle(or as close as you can) lift up your waist off the ground. And finally bicycle crunch's are UBER at popping your abbs. (demonstrated here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPKXFarXbys )

I recommend doing 4 sets of 25 crunches, 2 sets of 25 side crunches, 2 sets of 25 leg raises, and 2 sets of30 bicycle kicks about 5-6 days a week. Remember, SLOWER IS BETTER! (when not doing cardio XD)

Oh I also recommend pushups and pullups. They work your abs as well as other muscle groups.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Sounds cool!!! I'll join! :)

So basically, I'll be on my High School track team (when school starts up), and I was on the cross country team last year, so I consider myself to be fit. But yeah, I'd like to improve my abdominal strength, arm strength, and overall flexibility.

And yes, I did the two pushups. ;)

chize

Smash Apprentice
can i join? i was a kinesiology major at umass amherst and now im taking prerequisite classes for nursing so i know all sorts of stuff about health and working out

wool

Smash Ace
Tables are legit core/everything training.
It'll get you ripped.
I'd recommend that over situps anyday.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Don't overdo it but this format:

"I recommend doing 4 sets of 25 crunches, 2 sets of 25 side crunches, 2 sets of 25 leg raises, and 2 sets of30 bicycle kicks about 5-6 days a week. Remember, SLOWER IS BETTER! (when not doing cardio XD)"

should work wonders if you're skinny/semi-fit.

shinobiknight0

Smash Apprentice
I want to get more lean and work on my lower body more. I have a Bowflex and some dumbbells, but I do mostly upper body and some lower body with bodyweight exercises(one legged squats, calf raises on top of a stool, etc), and I do about half an hour of jump rope a day. I'm at 150lbs and a 30 inch waist, and less than a year ago I was at 190bs and a size 36 waist.

I'm taking a break from weights until I get into school where I can use their gym everyday.

NullVortex

Smash Apprentice
Deep in the Middle of I-Suck-At-MeleeVille
I was here for the first SWF Gym that sorta died. But anyways, 113 lbs and vaguely fit. It could be better though.

This brings up a thing that me and my friends are doing as motivation to stay in shape. We're doing a fitness bet.

What's this "fitness bet" you ask (whether or not you really did wonder is irrelevant)? Essentially everybody participating pitches in 20 dollars, works out for 90 days (fitness programs such as P90X are banned), and the person with the most improved body wins all the money in the pot. Naturally this favors the lesser fit, but the money and motivation is good enough to get some of the more athletic people to participate if only to work out.

At the moment the pot among our friends is 300 dollars. We're starting Sept. 11th. I'm aiming for larger biceps, an 8 pack, and the V. I'm not sure what they call it. It's like muscular love handles.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
@ Shinobiknight thats great! Sounds like you've pulled yourself out of the overweight range and pulling yourself into OMGZ SMASH SEXY range. Keep it up!

@ Nullvortex. Sounds like an interesting idea =D. Let me know how that goes and if you need help. By the way, the love handles naturally come out after you get your abs, glutes, and thighs large enough. Also fat in that region covers up the muscle usually, even in skinny people.

Chaco

Never Logs In
At the moment the pot among our friends is 300 dollars. We're starting Sept. 11th. I'm aiming for larger biceps, an 8 pack, and the V. I'm not sure what they call it. It's like muscular love handles.
How long are you going for? This bets run length I mean.

Also, be specific on what type of abs you do want. If you want them to look the deepest, and most popped of your friends. Do a super set every 5-7 days. Do 5 of the set, and you'll be wiped. If you're just beginning I'd work your way up though. Don't try to overdo it just to get the biggest fastest. The more you work out you get more lean instead of building more muscle on.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I love planks. Easiest part of the super set ever. Planks I normally do are on my side though, swapping after a while.

NullVortex

Smash Apprentice
Deep in the Middle of I-Suck-At-MeleeVille
How long are you going for? This bets run length I mean.

Also, be specific on what type of abs you do want. If you want them to look the deepest, and most popped of your friends. Do a super set every 5-7 days. Do 5 of the set, and you'll be wiped. If you're just beginning I'd work your way up though. Don't try to overdo it just to get the biggest fastest. The more you work out you get more lean instead of building more muscle on.
It runs for 90 days. It's like P90X but everybody does their own homebrewed workout. I'll take the superset idea into account. I'd rather not get big though, with my height it'll look odd to say the least. Thanks Chaco.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I despise P90X. That's just me though. Anyways, it'll he'll you keep active and wokring out everyday. In all honesty Id just check out scoobysworkshop.com.

Anyways don't worry about geting huge. It takes a year of working out to gain 5lbs of muscle.

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
Thanks to all for the advice. It really helps.
First Gigas, I'm really glad you've been getting better in shape! When you start getting a bit more built and if you approve maybe we could use you as an example? :chuckle:

Second Gigas, I saw your "spoiler". Do it or get out of my thread. :lick:

Third, sit-ups don't really work as well as a good crunch. Lie flat on your back with your knees up and with your hands behind your head(not pushing, just behind) and slowly raise your face to the ceiling without lifting your lower back off the ground. (Perfect Crunch). Also you can add side crunches, which is basically the same thing except you touch your elbow to your knee. After that you can do leg raises, which are lying completely flat on the ground, raising your legs, and when they are at a 90 degree angle(or as close as you can) lift up your waist off the ground. And finally bicycle crunch's are UBER at popping your abbs. (demonstrated here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPKXFarXbys )

I recommend doing 4 sets of 25 crunches, 2 sets of 25 side crunches, 2 sets of 25 leg raises, and 2 sets of30 bicycle kicks about 5-6 days a week. Remember, SLOWER IS BETTER! (when not doing cardio XD)

Oh I also recommend pushups and pullups. They work your abs as well as other muscle groups.
I still have a pair of pants here from before I started to lose weight. Maybe I can get a photo up here sometime. I don't mind being an example. I'll say, when I began exercising, the most important thing I was given was motivation. I'm also a solo kind of guy, so I imagine that says something.

Sorry about not doing the push-ups. xD I couldn't because I've pulled different muscles in both of my arms doing another workout. Do I get a freebie? xD YES I'M JOHNING IN A WORKOUT THREAD!

Ooof, I'm surprised to hear that sit-ups don't do much for you. That's a few months wasted. =/ Hopefully I'll start to see better results now, and you guys'll be to thank. Now, could I make crunches even more effective by holding weights behind my head? Just thinking.

General Workout 6-7 Days a Week, Daily:
-Stick with serving sizes when eating. (Monthly: go 24 hours without eating, yes, keeping with the basic routines.)
-Jog a 45-degree uphill about 1/4 mile.
-Practice swordsmanship 1-2 hours.
-Various lifting of 25lb dumbells.
-1 set of 50 Sit-ups. (I'm going to change this to crunches now.)

Starting Weight: 235lbs
Current Weight: 190lbs
Goal Weight: 180... 170? Whenever my abdomen starts to look tough.

Hey there, Chacobo. Doing alright?
*Puts Chocobo bait in a trap.*

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Thanks to all for the advice. It really helps.

I still have a pair of pants here from before I started to lose weight. Maybe I can get a photo up here sometime. I don't mind being an example. I'll say, when I began exercising, the most important thing I was given was motivation. I'm also a solo kind of guy, so I imagine that says something.

Sorry about not doing the push-ups. xD I couldn't because I've pulled different muscles in both of my arms doing another workout. Do I get a freebie? xD YES I'M JOHNING IN A WORKOUT THREAD!

Ooof, I'm surprised to hear that sit-ups don't do much for you. That's a few months wasted. =/ Hopefully I'll start to see better results now, and you guys'll be to thank. Now, could I make crunches even more effective by holding weights behind my head? Just thinking.

General Workout 6-7 Days a Week, Daily:
-Stick with serving sizes when eating. (Monthly: go 24 hours without eating, yes, keeping with the basic routines.)
-Jog a 45-degree uphill about 1/4 mile.
-Practice swordsmanship 1-2 hours.
-Various lifting of 25lb dumbells.
-1 set of 50 Sit-ups. (I'm going to change this to crunches now.)

Starting Weight: 235lbs
Current Weight: 190lbs
Goal Weight: 180... 170? Whenever my abdomen starts to look tough.

Hey there, Chacobo. Doing alright?
*Puts Chocobo bait in a trap.*
Alrighty. Let me know about the photos when you can.

If your arms don't work...... I'll let you slide :mad:

And Gigas I'm not really sure if the weights while crunching is effective. I assume so, however I got my mini 6 pack(hey, it works) without any weight. Only with the sets I showed earlier.

And that's great! Although once you reach your goal you better continue for the rest of your life! (Prevents heart disease, diabetes, and various other ailments. Besides, working out is fun! :bee:)

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
Right. I recall reading somewhere: "No junkfood tastes as good as it feels to be healthy." After reading that, I don't intend to return to my heavy self. My main problem was food, but I believe I've conquered that issue. All that's left is to work hard to drop the weight gained from the food. The fire's been put out, now to clear the smoke.

Also, thanks for the slide. I'll jog extra for it.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
SOOOOO.... uhhhhh yeah I take PE and I look like a ******* falling around. I feel confortable with my weight, pretty normal for my size. I just want to go up in leg strength and build up my biceps(to impress the ladies) I would prefer a lot if I dont have to use any equipment, just exercise like push ups, crunches etc. so anybody gpt a solution for my ordeal? (btw Id like to be like those people on tv with smoking hot biceps, legs I dont care as much but yeah no equipment just **** like pushups)

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
@ Gigas: You should write a book or be one of those motivational speakers. XD

@Roacherman: There's plenty you can do without equipment. This video on pushups really works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X72LtRcXR6g. The ab workout for Gigas should also work for you. I also recommend doing pullups. It is a total upper body workout, and all you need is a bar. If you don't want to buy a bar, improvise lol. Swimming is also great for non-equipment users.

wool

Smash Ace
SOOOOO.... uhhhhh yeah I take PE and I look like a ******* falling around. I feel confortable with my weight, pretty normal for my size. I just want to go up in leg strength and build up my biceps(to impress the ladies) I would prefer a lot if I dont have to use any equipment, just exercise like push ups, crunches etc. so anybody gpt a solution for my ordeal? (btw Id like to be like those people on tv with smoking hot biceps, legs I dont care as much but yeah no equipment just **** like pushups)
Pushups are good for everything.
Wall sits are good (you sit on the wall with your hands not resting on your thighs)
And run.

Thaz about it :)

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Excuse me but I was looking at gigas's workout like you said and I happen to have no idea what side crunches and leg raises,a and etc. are... btw I cant even do one pullup... how do I get to the point where I get to atleast one pullup? BTW Im not fat and really obese but really scrawny and weak so I dont wanna lose weight XD

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Excuse me but I was looking at gigas's workout like you said and I happen to have no idea what side crunches and leg raises,a and etc. are... btw I cant even do one pullup... how do I get to the point where I get to atleast one pullup? BTW Im not fat and really obese but really scrawny and weak so I dont wanna lose weight XD
I'm going to hunt for an ab workout video to explain roach. As for pullups, try to hang on it for awhile and try your hardest to pull up, even if you fail thats ok itll come. To help work on it you can also put a chair underneath and use your legs to help push you up. After a few weeks you should be set :)

Brado

Smash Lord
Well i'm like 5'10" and about 140 pounds (?) and I look skinnyy as I always have done. I used to be really active, with basketball, soccer and cricket, but have since dropped the soccer and cricket, and haven't played basketball in about 6 months. I look and feel a healthy weight, but I feel very unfit sometimes, like I can't excercise for anyway near as long as I used to be able too. I also eat too much junk food and don't often have fully substantial meals, aka no fruit/veg lots of candy.
tl;dr: I look healthy but I'm unfit.

My goals, too get visible abs again (they ran away) and feel fit again. The most important thing being having visible and strong abs, as well as losing my fat *** (only fat on me).

I will be starting basketball again at high school next week, so there's some good excercise there, and i'm about too go do some crunches.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Twoods actually sorry for saying but Im on a phone that doesnt have youtube... it doesnt have any video capabilities. Could you just post some pictures up? And how do I improv on the pull ups. What can I pull up on? Ive looked around my house and theres no bar or anything.

shinobiknight0

Smash Apprentice
Pull ups involve the back muscles so if you can't, try hanging for a while and try to pull yourself up more each time you work out. If you have access to a gym, try to find a lat pulldown machine or an assisted pull up machine, and work your way up. You could also use momentum to start a pull up. Try doing a short hop(in real life) and grab the bar and pull yorself up.

Without a gym, look for a children's playground, tree branch, or buy an Iron Gym.

For big arms, it's really important to train the triceps, shoulders, and biceps. The tricep is the largest muscle in your arm so it's really important to train that to increase arm size.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
For pull ups, pipes work. There's a strange bar outside my apartment that I could use lol. If you live near a playground jungle gyms work. Tree branch... etc.

*Hunts for photos*

BTW "Try doing a short hop(in real life)" is the greatest thing I've heard all day.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Lets see: no pipes, no playground, trees there are but they are to weak to hang on and theyre to big anyways, nothing in my house, nothing outside my house.... why me

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
I'll join. What's weird is that I'll listen to people and do what they tell me over the Internet more than in real life. :p

Here's a short list of my goals:

- A real six-pack. Right now I have a six-pack because I'm skinny. I want to actually add some muscle to em.
- A defined chest. I'm guessing push-ups will get the job done?
- Larger calves. Nothing much to it, but having skinny legs doesn't look hawt.

Btw, I'm 6'3" and about 160 pounds.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I really want to join.Great idea!

I have tone to my body but I want some beef you know?

I MAINLY want good pecs and abs I really just want to add like an inch all over.(except where it matters,i'm fine in that respect :D )

I'm 6'1,161 pounds.

Any advice would be amazing.

I can post a pic if you need it.

Me and 1upchris seem to be in the exact same boat!

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Roach... this explains it : http://dailyburn.com/workout_programs/31685-Abb-Ripper-Workout.

As for you pikaville... the above workout will work great. Follow it =D. In order for your abs to poop you also need to do about 20 minutes of cardio a day to help loose some weight(even if you are skinny). Also, do you have access to a gym?

If you don't mind posting a picture(and letting me use it on the "Before" section of the before and after pictures), that'd be great. No big deal though.

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
I forgot to put my height and weight. I'm 6'3" and about 160 pounds. Added that to my original post.

Oh, and you're right Pika! We're pretty much in the same weight/height class too, haha.

I'll also add a before/after photo when I actually find my digital camera. :ohwell:

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
lol, I like the addition of Rule #2's "Any violation of this rule is inexcuseable" in the OP.
*Does push-ups*

Quick question: Usually when I try one-armed pushups, my back cracks like crazy. Do they provide a significantly better workout as opposed to normal pushups? Or meh...? I'm not sure whether I should continue doing them.

Top Bottom