• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario vs. Link (24) Export

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Link

Matchup:

60:40

General info:
Link vs Lucario

Don't underestimate Link just because he's bottom tier, he has a bag full of tricks and skills he can use to make Lucario work for the stock.

First off, Link has three projectiles, arrows, gale boomerang, and bombs. Link's arrows move much faster than Toon links, even faster if Link quickdraws the arrows. If Link is SHing from a distance, he's probably trying to set up a quick drawn arrow. These will clash with BAS until higher percents. Full charged Aura sphere will beat these at any percent. Gale boomerang is a nice projectile that can mess up spacing on the return trip. Be careful of how Lucario uses his Up-B, is Link can predict this he might be able to gale guard him, using the gale boomerang to bounce off the stage and drag you away. Bas won't beat this til very high percentages, Full charged aura spheres will beat this out at high percents. Bombs are Links most versatile projectiles, the amount of techs around them is numerous. I'd advice reading this thread here believe it or not these techs around them aren't horribly situational and have many applications they can be used for. Bombs will cancel out any form of Aura sphere.

Other than projetiles, Link can also stand still with his shield up to block the aura sphere. This won't happen often as Lucario shouldn't spam fully charged aura spheres anyways.

Link has a good move in the form of Zair. It has two hit boxes and can space well to keep Lucario away. Zair also has some nice follow-ups some of which are kill moves if your not careful. Link's DAC covers long distance and can surprise a lot of people.

Link's main forms of Killing are Dair, Usmash, Utilt, Ftilt, Fsmash, Dsmash. Thats a lot of kill moves, and all of these kill very well, the main ones to watch out for are Dair, Usmash, Utilt, and Dsmash due to Lucario having trouble with getting killed vertically. Don't use Lucario's Usmash on Link's Dair or Lucario's Dair on Usmash, Link's moves have more range. This can be applied to other moves such as Link's Fair and Zair.

Sounds like Link is awesome, well not quite. While Link has a a nice amount of moves he still has problems. Lucario can combo and string moves together at low percentages, this sucks for Link. Link is quite heavy, and as a result is susceptible to being juggled at low %. Link is also quite slow when it comes to start up and cool down of moves. Most of his attacks aren't safe on block against a majority of the cast. You can shield and punish a good bulk of his moves, Link relies on using his projectiles in conjunction with his moves to get his kills.

The main problem Link faces is his terribad recovery, he has the worst recovery in the game. While Link has the potential to live as long as Snake can due to his good momentum canceling, DI, and heaviness, this is all useless if he gets gimped. Lucario can Dair, chuck an aura sphere, Fair, bair, etc. While it's isn't as easy as it sounds, Lucario has quite a few options to gimp Link.

For stages, If I were Link I'd want to go to Norfair, Battlefield, or Final destination. Norfair is Link's best stage, it helps his camp game, makes it easier for him to get kills, and occasionally helps his bad recovery with lava, if I were to ban a stage against a Link I'd ban this one over the others. Battlefield and Final destination are recommended due to how it helps Link with his camping a bit more.

If I were Lucario I'd take Link to Frigate, he has a horrible recover, combine that with this stage and no grabbing on some sides and you get a very happy Lucario. Japes helps Link's camping a bit, but it helps Lucario more with the gimping he can do combined with the high ceiling.

Due to Link's bad recovery and Lucario's abilty to juggle him I'd rate this, 60:40 Lucario.

Link can break out of it like everyone else can.

He can also hold a bomb while doing a Fsmash or Usmash.

Here is a list of Link's techs, he's got quite a few of them

I miss old Toonami...
As a Lucario:

What moves or tactics should we watch out for? Camping.

What moves or tactics should we try to enforce in this match up? Juggle+Gimp

Do you feel Lucario has an advantage in any particular scenario of this matchup? Yes. He can gimp out crappy recovery.

Do you feel the opponent can shut down aspects of Lucario's game? Bombs cancel Auraspheres...even fully charged ones. Zair stops aerial approaches.

Counterpicks? What to avoid and what to enforce? Avoid Norfair and Halberd, anything with a low vertical ceiling. Frigate is a good choice. We can't tether the right side and when the stage changes we sometimes get gimped underneath. Yoshi's is a good neutral, the shy guys screw up so many of our projectiles.

60:40 Lucario

What to avoid:
Wait, are we sure that Link can't break out of FPCG for some odd reason? Because you can normally break out of it.
There's some cool things links can do, that aren't always seen but do have some interesting effects:
-the long stepped ftilt, it's walked but it gets some deceptive distance, which is good because ftilt is really normally telegraphed
-Gale lag cancelling. Basically it's where they throw a Gale boomerang before they use a laggy move (usually dair), and rather than suffer the lag from that, it cancels into the "catch" animation from the boomerang when it gets back.
-Gale guarding: I doubt it works too well against lucario, but be aware he'll try to use the boomerang for edgeguarding.
craq-walking: Basically he'll get this unorthodox movement pattern where he'll SH then slide a little across the ground before performing a move (for example, dsmash is pretty good with this).
zair is a good spacing tool, iirc, and he can still do it if he's holding a bomb (AD -> zair)
Links will sometimes take advantage of some nifty "hat tricks", there's a lot and most aren't all too useful, but I'd suggest glancing at the link board's list of them just to get an idea.
jab will sometimes be used to cancel to other things, like utilt.

This was stuff I picked up from when I was experimenting with Link, although some of it might be outdated here and there lol. Someone who plays link (like Red Ryu) clarify?

Edit: for the record, Misadventures of Flapjack imo is kinda dumb lol, I miss the old Cartoon Network with Toonami and such T.T

How to win:
I haven't played against Link very much but I played against Izaw in Germany and boy he was tough. I was very pleased that I won him almost half of the time but anyways... He used his projectiles so effectively that sometimes I just had to run away from him to avoid getting ***** by them. Gimping Link is obviously the key to win here. I got like half of my kills with gimping. Rolling helps sometimes getting inside of the wall of projectile **** but don't roll too much or Link will be awaiting and gladly punish it. Link's spotdodge a lot so using ftilt helps with it. I noticed that most of the time Izaw combo'd me it started from spotdodging my moves.

My first time trying to help in the MU discussion so don't be mean to me *-* Just trying to be helpfull.
Overall: A pretty easy matchup overall, but Link does have some good things going for him. However, given his poor recovery, heavy weight, and fastfalling nature, it's very rare for Link to maintain his lead over a Lucario for very long, especially once the Lucario starts getting an Aura buff. Unless you are playing very sloppy, or meet an exceptional Link player, this matchup shouldn't cause too much trouble. My knowledge in the matchup is somewhat limited, but I will say ADVANTAGE (I'm not going to use numbers anymore).

Helpful tips:

Ok.... lotta stuff to comment on. Prepare for a gigantic post, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockettrainer
-Dtilt: This move gives an upward knockback similar to utilt, so it's a combo starter. Be warned that it can spike you.

Forget about this move. Seriously, Links never use this move. On stage, off stage, ever. Pretend it doesn't exist, but I'm not exaggerating when I say we don't even consider it part of our moveset.

Quote:
-Dair: This is probably his overall best kill move. It's basically a sex kick that points down. It lasts a ridiculously long time, has an insane amount of priority, and knockback during initial frames is beastly. This move can hit an opponent twice before it automatically stops. It has a huge amount of landing lag. It can be used for bouncing off projectiles, like a pogo stick.

Everything here is right, except be careful about the bolded part. It has huge knockback always, basically. The only time it won't have amazing knockback is if you shield it, and we bounce off the shield, and then you lower your shield and get hit by it again. The hit after the bounce has hardly any knockback.

Other than that though, it has beastly knockback from........ anywhere.

Quote:
-Dsmash: You probably won't see this used too often but be aware that this move can apparently spike.

I dunno where you heard this, lol. Dsmash is one of Link's best moves, easily. It KOs, it doesn't spike lol, it's one of his fastest moves in general, and it hits on both sides of him. Great move, really, be sure to watch out for it.

Quote:
-Usmash: It's a multihitting move that can be used via DACUS. Unfortunately, it's multihitting nature makes it so that it's easy to SDI out, so you will rarely get hit by the last part.

While it is true that you can DI out of it, don't be so quick to say that it's easy to DI out of. I've only encountered one person ever who could DI out of it, and that was a fellow Link main. But yes, it can be DI'd out of, the point still stands.

Links mainly use this move for punishing and damage racking, not KOing. It can hit on both sides of him, which make it a good option OoS.

Quote:
-Gale Boomerang: This has a hitbox coming out but a windbox coming back. Can be used for damage, mindgames, combo strings, or just to annoy.

-Bomb: It's a bomb. It can be used for damage, disruption, mindgames, pressure, etc.

-Arrow: It's an arrow. Damage, camping, pressure, annoying, etc. It can be used for locking

This stuff is pretty correct, I'd say. Just keep in mind that bombs are by far his best projectile, and you will see a lot of them.

Quote:
-Spin Attack: His main recovery move. It has decent vertical recovery but poor horizontal motion. A grounded one can be used as a kill move, but it's no where near as good as it was in Melee unless it is fully charged.

Yep, the only times you'll usually be seeing spin attack used for KOs is out of a jab cancel or OoS.

Which reminds me - jab cancels lead into a lot of things. Spin attack, utilt, dsmash, grab, and fsmash are the most common ones. BUT Link can still jab cancel fair, pivot bair, or nair. So watch out for those as well.

Quote:
-Zair: This is the third best of the possible four zair users in the game. It can hit twice, but it doesn't produce much knockback. This is also one of his primary recovery options.

I don't think it has any knockback :laugh:

Btw, I'm curious, who are the 4 users. Link, TL, Samus..... who am I missing? O.o

Quote:
-Approach smart, because Link has several projectiles and his upclose game is pretty decent.

Nah, you're close up game beats ours. Link's close range game was never amazing, he'll stick to pressuring with projectiles.

Quote:
-Links may camp because of their projectiles. They don't want to take damage because damage means more knockback, which can lead to their death.

Consider it like..... a guaranteed fact that we will camp. Lol

Quote:
-Force Palm chaingrab does work on Link, but only at low percents. Keep this in mind.

Yeah.... this is true. =/

Apparently from what I read, we can break out though? Someone tell me how lol.

Quote:
-Link is heavy and a fastfaller, so he can get combo'd relatively easy at low percents. HOWEVER...
-Be careful about his dair. You CANNOT challenge it with uair. Same applies to his uair with Lucario's dair.

Meh, dairs not really a move Links will use to stop a juggle, generally. They might sometimes at higher percents, to maybe get a KO on you off the top, but that's it really. Most of the time, they'll FF airdodge or FF nair or FF bair. Nair and bair have good priority, are quick, and auto-cancel.

Most people usually say "well, we'll just punish the FF airdodge, not hard." True..... but Link has the fastest FF in the game. Good luck catching up to him when he zooms right by you down to the ground.

Quote:
-Since Link's recovery is generally one of the worst in the game, you can expect to occasionally gimp an unprepared Link. If he is recovering from far away, consider Aura Sphere, or just chase him off the stage with fairs.

You guys definitely, definitely wanna capitalize on gimping in this matchup. Like.... a lot. Dair offstage probably wrecks Link if you can land it, due to that knockback (it's multihit, but I haven't tested how to DI out). Fair WoPs work well, maybe nair too *shrug*

Quote:
-You can ride Gale Boomerang as it is returning to Link. You can attack while riding it, so keep this in mind.

Lol. I'm not laughing at you sir, it's just that in every matchup I go to, someone brings this up. "You can ride the boomerang and attack, but he can attack too." I honestly dunno why people bring this up. You'll see this actually happen maybe like.... once out of 20 matches or something. It's so uncommon, it's not even worth mentioning. Yeah, don't worry about gale riding or anything.

Quote:
Do you feel Lucario has an advantage in any particular scenario of this matchup?
-Assuming the Link does not manage to kill you early, you can certainly outlast the Link. Since all Lucario's moves gain increased knockback as he takes damage, you'll probably be killing Link pretty quick.

Well, I'll address 2 things here. Here would be a good place to list Link's KO moves: fsmash, dsmash, utilt, spin attack, ftilt, dair, second hit of fair, and sometimes uair. Usmash is not a KO move.

So, watch out for those, and you'll live for a while.

Now to address killing Link. It's already been said you can gimp Link. Don't assume you can gimp him easily.

Note: this is not bragging. This is not exaggeration. Link mains have broken DI. A good Link generally lives to about 170% at least for most matchups. Now, that's definitely gonna lower if Lucario is at like 200% or something, but for the most part, don't be frustrated if he's at 140% and he's still not close to dying.

Quote:
-While this match might seem easy, do not underestimate a Link. Most of his kill options give vertical knockback, and Lucario's vertical resistance is mediocre.

Meh. Out of the moves I listed, only 4 of the 8 go upwards. The other 4 kill horizontally.

Quote:
Do you feel the opponent can shut down aspects of Lucario's game?
-When recovering against a Link, remember that he has projectiles to interrupt your recovery attempts.

A good Link WILL shoot arrows, chuck rangs, and throw bombs at you while recovering. And his aerial spin attack has high priority, thankfully. Throw in the fact that Link mains DI like crazy, and you've got yourself a fight for a gimp. This is why I said, gimping Link on paper seems easy, but it's not as easy as you might initially think.

Quote:
-He has a tether, so be prepared for some tether mindgames when a Link is hanging on the edge while you are recovering.

Link is one of the best edgehoggers in the game. Reason being, if we're on the edge, we can refresh our invincibility frames by dropping away and tethering back very quickly. Just something to keep an eye out for.

Quote:
-Be careful when the Link has a Gale Boomerang out, because it can drag you back into the Link's range, possibly into a kill move. Also, be warned that it can mess up any recovery attempts.

Meh....throwing a boomerang from the stage to the Lucario offstage is something most Links are advised not to do. That goes for any matchup. The chance of catching you in the windbox into our KO move is just so little, we'd rather go for run-off nairs and fairs. We'll also be edgeguarding with dairs a lot, especially if you're at a KO percent.

Quote:
Counterpicks? What to avoid and what to enforce?
-Neutral: Link does good with projectile spam, much like Toon Link, so avoid open stages like Final Destination. BF is a pretty good starter, but Links tend to hate Yoshi's Island.

Yeah, this is pretty true. Personally, I like YI. It depends on the Link user. If he's aggro, he'll like YI. If he's a camper, he won't.

Quote:
-Counterpick: Avoid Norfair, because most Links love this stage. It has platforms plus multiple edges for Link to tether. Some Links might try to take you to Brinstar because of it's low ceiling. Consider a stage that is lacking edges that could hinder his recovery options, like Frigate or even Rainbow Cruise. If you feel truly uncomfortable, then try Japes. Rushing water can be a Link's nightmare.

Link's awesome stages: Norfair, Rainbow Cruise, Brinstar, Halberd.

Link's sucky stages: Frigate, usually Japes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ryu
Other than projetiles, Link can also stand still with his shield up to block the aura sphere. This won't happen often as Lucario shouldn't spam fully charged aura spheres anyways.

This is basically never gonna happen. Any time a Link can be standing with a Hylian shield up to block an Aura Sphere, he can be doing something else. And just about every other option he could be doing, is a better one. The only time he'll block it with the Hylian shield is for the lulz, really.

Quote:
Link's main forms of Killing are Dair, Usmash, Utilt, Ftilt, Fsmash, Dsmash. Thats a lot of kill moves, and all of these kill very well, the main ones to watch out for are Dair, Usmash, Utilt, and Dsmash due to Lucario having trouble with getting killed vertically. Don't use Lucario's Usmash on Link's Dair or Lucario's Dair on Usmash, Link's moves have more range. This can be applied to other moves such as Link's Fair and Zair.

I listed his KO moves above, but I'll bring this up again. Usmash is not a KO move. It's a damage racker.

Quote:
Sounds like Link is awesome, well not quite. While Link has a a nice amount of moves he still has problems. Lucario can combo and string moves together at low percentages, this sucks for Link. Link is quite heavy, and as a result is susceptible to being juggled at low %. Link is also quite slow when it comes to start up and cool down of moves. Most of his attacks aren't safe on block against a majority of the cast. You can shield and punish a good bulk of his moves, Link relies on using his projectiles in conjunction with his moves to get his kills.

Yeah seriously, take advantage of when Link is at a low percent. Basically everything Ryu said here is pretty true.

Quote:
The main problem Link faces is his terribad recovery, he has the worst recovery in the game. While Link has the potential to live as long as Snake can due to his good momentum canceling, DI, and heaviness, this is all useless if he gets gimped. Lucario can Dair, chuck an aura sphere, Fair, bair, etc. While it's isn't as easy as it sounds, Lucario has quite a few options to gimp Link.

I talked about this earlier as well, don't feel like retyping it again. xD

Quote:
For stages, If I were Link I'd want to go to Norfair, Battlefield, or Final destination. Norfair is Link's best stage, it helps his camp game, makes it easier for him to get kills, and occasionally helps his bad recovery with lava, if I were to ban a stage against a Link I'd ban this one over the others. Battlefield and Final destination are recommended due to how it helps Link with his camping a bit more.

Btw, if Norfair is banned in your region, ban Brinstar or Rainbow Cruise. Ryu, BF doesn't help Link's camp game so much as it does help his aggro game, tbh.

Quote:
Due to Link's bad recovery and Lucario's abilty to juggle him I'd rate this, 60:40 Lucario.

I'd agree with this.

Quote:
He can also hold a bomb while doing a Fsmash or Usmash.

You can't use usmash with a bomb in hand, unless you throw it up, and catch it with a DAC. Just for clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draver
Link's spotdodge a lot so using ftilt helps with it. I noticed that most of the time Izaw combo'd me it started from spotdodging my moves.

That depends on the user, really. Link has a good spot dodge, but some players never use any of his dodges, they just space and PS. *shrug*

Long post guys, but I hope this was helpful.

Stages:
Counterpicks? What to avoid and what to enforce?
-Neutral: Link does good with projectile spam, much like Toon Link, so avoid open stages like Final Destination. BF is a pretty good starter, but Links tend to hate Yoshi's Island.

-Counterpick: Avoid Norfair, because most Links love this stage. It has platforms plus multiple edges for Link to tether. Some Links might try to take you to Brinstar because of it's low ceiling. Consider a stage that is lacking edges that could hinder his recovery options, like Frigate or even Rainbow Cruise. If you feel truly uncomfortable, then try Japes. Rushing water can be a Link's nightmare.

*insert usual disclaimer about correcting me if I'm wrong, will make certain additions/corrections if needed, etc.*

Expect PT later this week, I won't say when.

Disclaimer: This thread is made for the sole purpose of keeping matchup discussing clean and organized. If people wish to discuss a past matchup, they may do so in this thread without cluttering the current discussion.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Phil could you change something in my summary.

I listed Links Dair will beat Lucario's Usmash. This is incorrect, Lucario's Usmash will beat it.

Top Bottom