• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No items.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shalmack

Smash Rookie
I have just barely created this account and came to these forums just because I was curious. Been playing smash for awhile now and I keep seeing stuff all over these forums about no items it's the way to show true skill. ...I don't get it shouldn't you be versed in all aspects of the game to have the true skill...

2nLio

Smash Journeyman
this is kinda dumb and its been said a billion times but since you ARE new to the boards....

items are random thus there is no skill about having a pokeball appear right next to you or an assist trophy which will get rid of the other players stock (or at least severely rack up damage to the other player).

So it would be dumb to combo the crap out of someone and they just happen to get lucky (which will happen a lot) and end up winning a match over some random item that spawned in the right place.

wow....i cant believe I actually explained this. welcome to the boards.

momaspeare

Smash Cadet
I think without items it's a really fair game...
but if you play with a friend and you two agree you could play with items which is sometimes really funny

gOld7

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I see items rather as a fun way to play Brawl. Playing without items shows resourcefulness (spelled incorrectly) and skill. Because if you win by throwing a Smart Bomb at someone... what have you really won?

Beside the match I mean.:laugh:

metaXzero

Smash Champion
It's the opinion of most people here. Is it absolutely true? Don't ask because that just leads to flame wars.

Most of us don't like item play and just want the match to focus on the character usage, and some have even gone as far as to think it's impossible to have competition (it's not, but you are not going to convince those who believe it).

If you really want item's play, go support the ISP thing. They actually try and make items work and accept it will have to be it's own game instead of the standard.

Neo Exdeath

Smash Ace
A lot of people, like me, think items make the game more lucked based instead of skill based. Plus, tournaments don't use items anyways. Also, people think playing with items is playing without skill.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
There is however, groups of people who support item standard play.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164675

It's a matter of opinion in the end I think. The general philosophy employed towards balancing this game from a rules perspective is to limit the existence of random elements, meaning items were the first to go.

When there's $2000 on the line, you don't wanna lose because 2 pokeballs and an assist trophy spawned right next to your opponent during the match.
:)

:056:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom