• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Texturizer - The easiest way to change textures and portraits!

SuperJMN

Smash Cadet
Hello, community! I'll introduce myself: I'm Super JMN, a developer and a big fan of Smash Bros. Later to have seen that skinning is much of dealing with files and folders, changing names and replacing stuff, I decided to make a visual tool that helps you A LOT to skin your characters with ease and keeping you focused on what it really matters: texturing.

Whoever that have dealt with textures knows that it's painful to the bone, and you end up blindly replacing those "so descriptive" names like fitmario01.pcs. Well, I have good news for you all. My application is specifically designed to be visual and intuitive.

The most important thing is the download link. You can download the latest version going to this URL:

----- NOTE ------
You will need a file before exporting CSPs (character screen portraits): it's common5.pac (common5_en.pac). I think it's illegal to distribute it, and I cannot integrate it in my app. In order to export the portraits, you will need a copy of this file. You will have to specify its path for it to export CSPs.
For those that don't have a copy of common5.pac, you can get it here:
[DOWNLOAD] common5.pac: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?uroyzcyjoz2
-------------------

[DOWNLOAD URL]: http://superjmn.wordpress.com/2009/09/21/brawl-texturizer-for-super-smash-bros-brawl/

It's an .MSI installation file for the Windows platform (requires .NET Framework).

I will add more details very soon.
For the moment:
  • IMPORTANT - To export textures to the SD card you have to specify the folder called "pf".
  • To change the associated texture, double click over the desired outfit of the selected character. Then, choose the .PCS file and "Associate" it. With some special characters you also need the corresponding .PAC file (the application warns you if you don't have it, but it let's you continue). Anyways, it's recommended to have the .PAC file in order to avoid in-game lockups, e. g. "Blue Bowser.pcs" should have "Blue Bowser.pac" :)
  • WARNING: before exporting the data to the SD card you MUST backup the current "pf" folder because every texture in there will be replaced or DELETED.
  • The "Save project..." and "Open profject..." menus are used to open/save single files that are like backups into a single file. Every time you feel you have a good taste of what you're working on, save it. The application is not deeply tested, so it can eventually fail.
  • Take into account that some time consuming operations have to be done to open/save import/export. The interface will seem to be blocked and not responding, but it's working. Just wait for it to finish ;)
  • It's translated to English and Spanish. If you notice some bad translation or something sounds awkward, please, notify me it ASAP for me to fix it.

Changelog (see the download page)

I'm waiting for your feedback. Tell me your opinion.
Greetings!

El Raspa

Smash Apprentice
Yes, It is working on XP

This app is great I have tested it a little bit

Regards / Saludos desde elotrolado

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
"Anyways, it's recommended to have that .PCS (.PAC) file in order to avoid in-game lockups."

Make sure you don't mix things up when it's done. We don't want a negative epidemic on something that could help make things a lot easier. xD

Good going though.

SuperJMN

Smash Cadet
"Anyways, it's recommended to have that .PCS (.PAC) file in order to avoid in-game lockups."

Make sure you don't mix things up when it's done. We don't want a negative epidemic on something that could help make things a lot easier. xD

Good going though.
Whoops!! It was very confusing. I have fixed it already.
Thanks, guy that I might know :)

inimitable

Smash Rookie
It would be nice to have previews of each different outfit when you click on them as well. Looks great so far, though.

In the English version one of Luigi's outfits is still "Luigi Fuego."

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Holy crap. this is so awesome. I love you. In a platonic way.

*goes test immediately*

Oh wait I have science homework...

****it!

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Wait, is this program in spanish, or is it language neutral?

EDIT: ffff nvm. It helps to read the OP, doesn't it?

but why is the installation in Spanish? I can't tell what it's telling me @_@

EDIT: Oh crap I thought this was a texture editor...but this is still awesome to help add all my homemade textures in game. :)

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
yes you will^
It still uses texture files which must be loaded through a code launcher (Gecko, Dantarion's Brawl Mod Launcher, etc...)

SuperJMN

Smash Cadet
Once I make the SBBRT file, what do I do then, and where do I put it?
Hi! What you need when you're done editing outfits it to export. The export option is used to write the folder structure to the SD card. Please notice that you have to select the folder called "fighter", not the root of the file system. The complete path it's like

\Private\Wii\App\RSBX\pf\fighter\

Where X is the code of your region. For example: RSBE for US NTSC, and RSBP for PAL.

Actually, the SSBBT files are made to backup the current outfit layout in order to allow several configurations or themes. For example, you can have an SSBBT file in which the characters are manga-anime skinned, and another for old-school look and feel, or just because you are testing and you don't want to lose your current setup :)

SuperJMN

Smash Cadet
Hello again! I'm here just to notify that I'm working in a new release.
- localization names for Luigi and Mr. Game & Watch are now fixed.
- Import fixed in order to read folder names ignoring the case.
- Save message dialog popped up even if you cancel the operation.
- Improvements in the interface.

I'm digging into the LZ77 compression right now because it's necessary to add a feature that I really want to add: the ability to generate each .PAC file when you only have the PCS. This could be very interesting for characters like Bowser, Zelda/Sheik, Pokémon Trainer, Wario, etc.

I'll do some research.
For the moment I want to thank you all for trying and testing the application. I'm glad you find it of help.

SuperJMN

Smash Cadet
A new version has been released!

I released a new version! I can be downloaded from the same link.

It now generates .PAC files making use of a small utility, transparently.
The UI is a little improved.
It now associated SSBBT files to open from Windows when double clicked.
Fixed some bugs when importing from SD.

It's barely tested, but I think it goes like a charm.

If you find bugs, please, don't hesitate to write them down here!

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Now I can narow down my current texture directory where I have a folder for each character and a folder in that folder named accordingly for the texture inside.

It's a pain in the ***.

SuperJMN

Smash Cadet
Now I can narow down my current texture directory where I have a folder for each character and a folder in that folder named accordingly for the texture inside.

It's a pain in the ***.
I can imagine how hard it is to keep that library!

It's great that some of you find my application useful. For me, it's a life saver since my brothers download A LOT of skins and they want me to put them to try. Now even they can deal with textures :D

By the way, I need somebody to give me information about how to read and display CSP files (for the character selection screen). Are they just plain TGA images? If I find the way to implement this feature, for sure you will see it very soon.

Cross.

Smash Ace
I can imagine how hard it is to keep that library!

It's great that some of you find my application useful. For me, it's a life saver since my brothers download A LOT of skins and they want me to put them to try. Now even they can deal with textures :D

By the way, I need somebody to give me information about how to read and display CSP files (for the character selection screen). Are they just plain TGA images? If I find the way to implement this feature, for sure you will see it very soon.
i cant wait for the csp update. It was waaaay too tedious before.

SuperJMN

Smash Cadet
Hello people! I have made lots of improvements in Brawl Texturizer in terms of memory management (and now the SSBBT files are lighter in size).

But now I need your help: I want to include CSPs (character selection portraits) to its features. I know that they are converted from TGA images with a tool named CUPASH, but since I'm coding my application using .NET and C#, I really would like to handle the process on my own, and converting it to the required output file (that I think it's a .brres file).

Does anybody know the steps to convert a TGA file into the file format that SSBBraw uses internally?
Please, help me and you will get a beautiful feature! :D

TheComrade

Smash Rookie
Okay, this really more of a bump than anything, but I just wanted to thank you SuperJMN for your hard work and continued development of this wonderful tool.

SuperJMN

Smash Cadet
Okay, this really more of a bump than anything, but I just wanted to thank you SuperJMN for your hard work and continued development of this wonderful tool.
Wow, comments like yours make me want to improve it more :)

By the way, a new version is out! automatic .PAC generation is FAST! thanks to Kryal.

Craeter

Smash Apprentice
I've never needed a program like this, I've always just kept track of my textures through text documents. But since you went through all the trouble to make it, I'll at least humor you. :p

Xyless

Smash Master
Hey, I am having a problem with it reading one of my textures, and figured I'd post the error message here. It's on Wario, and it's his bluer texture (first one here) that is breaking.

This is the error I get:

"Error assigning texture: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '<path of texture>' is denied.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode)
at SSBBTextures.Util.GetBytesFromFile(String path)
at SSBBTextures.TextureEdit.btnAccept_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)"

(it worked well until then)

Also, shouldn't the texturizer make PAC's for Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard?

Top Bottom