• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Goodbye, Sticky thread, Gaithersburg, MD, Oct 17 2009

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Hello everyone- I'm proud to announce the Championship for the local circuit! I'm sorry that I couldn't get more hype for the circuit- but lets look ahead to the championship. We'll be having it at the Ultimate Gaming Zone in Lakeforest Mall in Gaithersburg, MD. I'd like to thank Deez for arranging it and he'll be helping with the tournament, but I'll be doing most of the running so that everyone else can focus on their matches.

I've been keeping score, so here is what it looks like to date:

Singles

1. Meep- 128
2. ChuDat- 85
3. Pyronic Star- 79
4. Neo- 65
5. Atomsk- 50
6. Azen Zagenite- 48
7. Kornn- 33
8. Boss- 27
9. Sanoscy- 26
10. ADHD- 25
10. Forte- 25
12. Omni- 15
13. Junebug- 14
14. Takeover- 11
14. Sin- 11
16. Sonic Master- 10
------------- (if you're below this, you're not locked in)
17. HAT- 9
17. Deez- 9
19. Lie- 8
19. G-regulate- 8
21. Coney Isle- 6
21. Plairnkk- 6
21. Alpha Zealot- 6
24. Candy- 4
24. Slikvik- 4
24. Turbo Gilman- 4
24. Seagull- 4
24. Waffle- 4
29. Lobos- 3
30. K9- 2
30. JJVirus- 2
30. Tantalus- 2
30. GIMR- 2
30. Yoster- 2
30. EEvisu- 2
36. Jash- 1
36. KBM- 1
36. Chinesahh- 1
36. ESOJ- 1
36. BMX- 1
36. Abyss- 1
36. Poyo- 1
36. Lil'b- 1
36. Sassy- 1
36. Mankosuki- 1
36. NinjaLink- 1

Teams

1. ChuDat- 225
2. Kornn- 130
3. HAT- 81
4. Boss- 74
5. Alpha Zealot- 57
6. Pyronic~Star- 45
7. Azen Zagenite- 40
7. Omni- 40
7. SheikSSBM- 40
7. Ninjalink- 40
11. G-regulate- 37
11. NEO- 37
11. Meep- 37
14. Sin- 34
15. Junebug- 32
16. Forte- 29
17. Deez- 28
18. Sanoscy- 22
19. Atomsk- 16
19. Lie- 16
19. Chillindude829- 16
19. Plank- 16
23. EEVisu- 10
24. Yoster- 8
24. Hova- 8
24. ADHD- 8
27. Slikvik- 6
27. Takeover- 6
27. 22- 6
30. GIMR- 4
30. Lobos- 4
30. Seagull- 4
30. K9- 4
30. Candy- 4
30. Waffle- 4
30. Sassy- 4
37. Lil'b- 2
37. BMX- 2
37. LLOD- 2
37. Tantalus- 2
37. Amon- 2
37. NeverKnowsBest- 2
37. Wolffang- 2
37. ADA- 2
37. Sonic Master- 2
37. Shadofiend- 2
37. Gonzo- 2
37. ESOJ- 2

Date: October 17th, 2009

LakeForest Mall
701 Russell Ave
Gaithersburg MD, 20877

It's located on the first floor by the center square where all the kids play.

Schedule:

Doors are open when the mall is, around 10am
Registration for Teams and Singles Bracket: 10am
Teams Amateur Bracket: 11am
Singles Amateur Bracket: 2pmish (right after teams end, whenever that is, subject to change)
Break for food
5pm- Teams Pro Bracket
6:30pm- Singles Pro Bracket

We'll be moving as fast as possible. If you're in the pro bracket- yeah you'll have to come and register in the morning and basically watch all day. The good news is- A. We're in a gaming center, you can do as you please there. B. We're in a mall, tons of other stuff to do. Just let me know where you are in case you have a match, I can notify you.

Special Pro Tournament Rules:

So this tournament will have a Pro Bracket and an Amateur bracket. This is how it will work, in its simplest form.

The 16 highest points placers there will enter the pro bracket. So even if you are locked into pro bracket, you STILL NEED TO BE ON TIME. I need to register you for the tournament, so I know you're attending. It's either this or pre-registration, which no one ever likes to do. The Amateur bracket will be seeded with who is remaining in order by points. For people without points, they will be the lowest seed IN MOST CASES. There could be a few exceptions, as a few very talented players have 0 points. But for the most part, this is how it will work. The TOP 16 SINGLES players and TOP 8 TEAMS will be registered in pro bracket, which means basically you are guaranteed top 24/12, most of which will get prizes. Teams will be done in a similar fashion- however, you need to register with your partner at the counter. Your teams points will be put together, and the total will be your teams' points. The top 8 teams in points will advance- so don't team with someone with low points if you want to enter for sure.

As for the amateur bracket- this is your chance to shine! This will be everyone left as I mentioned. The top 8 singles players and top 4 teams will be able to advance into the final pro bracket. That will make a 24 man singles bracket and a 12 team teams bracket.

The top 4 teams in points and top 8 singles entrants get byes. Then seeding will be done in reverse order for the first rounds:

Singles:

15 vs 18 -> 2nd
10 vs 23 -> 7th
11 vs 22 -> 6th
14 vs 19 -> 3rd
13 vs 20 -> 4th
12 vs 21 -> 5th
9 vs 24 -> 8th
16 vs 17 -> 1st

Teams:

8 vs 9 -> 1st
5 vs 12 -> 4th
6 vs 11 -> 3rd
7 vs 10 -> 2nd

If that doesn't seem to make sense to you, just don't worry about it, and play your matches to win.

Also, there will be an extra $100 dollars added to the pot guaranteed. Not too much, but hey, its a start!

Entry:

$10 venue
$15 singles
$15 per person for teams

This is a serious event. I won't split for anyone. If you all decide to split, do it after the event. I highly encourage not splitting.

Singles Payouts:

55% 1st
25% 2nd
10% 3rd
5% 4th
2.5% 5th
2.5% 5th

Teams Payouts:

60% 1st
25% 2nd
10% 3rd
5% 4th

The standard rules:

-3 Stock
-8 Minute Time Limit
-Items are set to "off" and "none"
-All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches, with the aforementioned Finals sets being best 3/5 games.
-In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
-No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
-If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage
-Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
-Standing Infinites are BANNED which include (but not limited to) Dedede's small-step chain grab, Marth on Ness grab-release, etc
-Ice climber infinites are LEGAL up to 250%
-Suicide Move Rules: (all situations are when both players are at 1 stock): If a suicide move ends a match, the match will be reset with 1 stock each to both players on the same level. Time limit will be set to 3 minutes. Both players technically died at the same time, and that is why the match was a draw. Play out the one stock, and the winner wins that match.
-Players using a Wii-mote to play must take their batteries out when not playing. We can't be having wii's be interrupted because someone made a mistake. I will be enforcing this heavily, and there will be penalties if people do not obey.
-Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
-50 Ledge grab rule is in effect. Should you grab the ledge MORE than 50 times in 1 match, and the timer runs out with you having lower %, you will automatically lose the match.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. 1st Stage will be chosen at random unless agreed upon by both players. Each Player will be provided one Random Reset, with the lower-seeded Player given the option to use their reset first.**
3. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
4. The winner of the previous match may announce their Stage Ban selection
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match
**If neither Player has chosen to use their Random Reset within 3 seconds of the match starting, the match must be played out on the stage generated.

Neutral Stages:
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Smashville
-Yoshis Island
-Lylat Cruise

Counterpick Stages:
-Delfino Plaza
-Frigate Orpheon
-Halberd
-Rainbow Cruise
-Brinstar
-Pokemon Stadium 1
-Castle Siege

Additional Rules for Doubles Play:
-Life Stealing is allowed
-Team attack will be set to ON
-In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
-Chibo's Color-Blind Rule: If a player on a team is playing Lucario, Sonic, or Pokemon Trainer, either team can request for them to be Blue Team and the opponents must abide. If both teams have one of the characters, they must work it out between them.

More to come...I'll update later, need to sleep now...

I know there are a lot of unanswered questions, but I wanted to get this out here tonight! for hype and stuff. I'll color everything up later this week.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
Do you have to be on that list to join the Pro Bracket (i dont kno how this stuff works)

Edit: ill be there and stream it again BUT EVERYONE SAVE YOUR REPLAYS IF YOU WANT THEM UPLOADED TO YOUTUBE

i dont want people talking over the match+ustream bad quality

and no i probably won't commentate ill just let some one more popular do it

Edit2nd: dont answer that question...i just read the post the whole way through

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
For the record:

- No Pools
- ANYONE can enter this tournament, you don't have to be on the list, however, ties will be broken by points (ask me about this later)

hova

Smash Champion
sowwy chu....me and cafe are already teaming for this

yay i get to start in the amateur bracket! ^_^
yay!! i can enter amateur bracket and knock Candy out

although i'm 0-2 against Candy in tourney i'm sure i can get this done

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
I'm coming, and bringing SonicMaster5 with me if he likes

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
nah i don't like the infinite personally, so those are my rules for it

This gives you viable options to fight it but doesn't make it impossible to get grabbed either...

This isn't up for debate, however, 75 and 5, thats how its gonna roll.

meepxzero

Smash Master
im fine with the rules, but i think its stupid to justify planking because ic **** people on stage. If i ever get my mk up to par with my ic, which i plan to now (bored of playing ic). Im abusing the crap outta planking with him and showing you the even more broken side of mk.

People whove played me in teams with mk know how hard i camp with him so itll be easy to plank and camp ;D.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
So meep gets as many grabs as he wants at once

but everyone only gets 5 ledge grabs at a time

thats ********

hova

Smash Champion
lmao... i love how *****y and whiny md/va is when it comes to Meep

no one is concerned with MK because he doesn't dominate our region, but everyone lines up to complain about something which is much less ghey just because he can beat you

ban MK before u even consider complaining about Meep. u all are just terribly bad at the match up and also in general

Alexis.

Smash Rookie
Man this guy is harsh haha

anywayzzz tant is hosting this YESSSs

I love you tant

KORNNNNN~

Smash Master

no one is concerned with MK because he doesn't dominate our region, but everyone lines up to complain about something which is much less ghey just because he can beat you

ban MK before u even consider complaining about Meep. u all are just terribly bad at the match up and also in general
uh oh... here we go again.. lol

coooooterss !! ftl !

hova

Smash Champion
i wish some of the good melee people in our region still played Brawl

we have too many scrubs like Korn running loose

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion

ummmmmmmmmm, no one complained about meep... we complained about a rule tant is deciding to add -.-

and i still will support the ban mk clause, and i can beat him.... have you not seen my sig O.o

hova

Smash Champion
ummmmmmmmmm, no one complained about meep... we complained about a rule tant is deciding to add -.-

and i still will support the ban mk clause, and i can beat him.... have you not seen my sig O.o
no dude, everyone complained about not being able to plank Meep

not one person complained about the rule without mentioning Meep

edit: except Korn, Korn complained without mentioning Meep

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
no dude, everyone complained about not being able to plank Meep

not one person complained about the rule without mentioning Meep

edit: except Korn, Korn complained without mentioning Meep
i mean, we all kinda mentioned him cause this will only affect matches meep is involved in
and idk think its that we want to plank him fully... but i'm not sure how fair it is to basically give him a heads up on when we are getting off the ledge "hey meep, run over here because i'm about to get up.. time your grab right i can only jump, roll, get up atk, or stand straight up"

i'm fine with the total ledge grabs having a limit... but saying how many times you can consecutively grab it doesn't seem fair

Top Bottom