• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Instant Wall Jump

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Is your edge game getting you down? Do you feel like your character lacks those extra options? I present to you an advanced technique to give you those extra options. A technique so sexy it doesn't work for Meta Knight OR Snake!

I give you The Instant Wall Jump!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B-6QN4cGTL0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B-6QN4cGTL0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This works for any character that can wall jump, which is:
-Captain Falcon
-Diddy Kong
-Falco
-Fox
-Lucario
-Mario
-Pikachu
-Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle only)
-Samus
-Sheik
-Sonic
-Toon Link
-Wolf
-Zero Suit Samus

How do I Perform the Instant Wall Jump?
  • Drop from the edge holding down
  • Do a quarter to half circle toward the stage from the down position with the control stick
  • Press the jump button during this control stick rotation
  • input attack and control stick direction to control air movement (you can move over the stage or away from the stage)

The timing is different for every character (Captain Falcon and Sonic seem to be the most difficult). The key to performing this correctly is quickness: it should appear as if you are simply doing a backward edge hop.

Why is the Instant Wall Jump Useful?
As I mentioned earlier this technique will expand your edge options. Without this technique you are limited to the forward direction when edge hopping or a telegraphed drop > wall jump that is extremely easy to read. With this technique you now have all the options that come with facing away from the stage from the edge hop.

In a nutshell: you can do a instant wall jump B-Air with the same quickness that you can do an edge hop F-Air.

Characters like Squirtle, ZSS, and Diddy seem to get the most use of this because they can throw out multiple B-airs (or Squirtle can U-air > B-air). Another example with Diddy is that you can B-Air > Forward B, an option that doesn't even exist from the edge hop because the F-Air/B-Air don't occur high enough to pull of the Forward-B back onto the stage.

The Video
The Video has the following characters:
  • Diddy Kong
  • Captain Falcon
  • Sonic
  • Mario
  • Lucario

I suck with every character but Diddy Kong, so you will want to play around with the other characters to see what is useful.

Video Link!

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
P1: a regular wall jump is
1: telegraphed cause you drop so low it's obvious what you intend to do
2: You can't do a "regular wall jump" on a stage like Jungle japes because once you drop that low your only option is to auto-grab the edge. In other words, with this technique, you input the wall jump so high and so quick you avoid auto-grabbing the edge.
3: a "regular wall jump" is slow. With this you should be able to do it so fast there is literally no difference between a edge hop/instant wall jump in terms of speed.

ADHD: start using it then! Let's be honest, this is super useful with multiple characters...and yet you probably can't show me a single video where anyone has ever used it.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I've been using this ever since I discovered wall-jumping.
Does this really deserve a thread? People are doing and have been doing this all the time.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Xonar: show me a vid. I've been saying it over an over - no one uses this with Diddy (or others). This (Instant wall jumping) is not This (wall jumping slowly, rofl).

The best way to explain the difference is to watch the part on Jungle Japes, because you can't do the regular wall jumps on Jungle Japes, in fact, I'd wager you've NEVER wall jumped on Japes and didn't even know it was possible.

Player-1

Smash Legend
But it's the same inputs, you're just doing it faster...

Edit: AZ, I've been wall jumping on any stage that you can for months now...including japes.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I'm sure people have been doing it, but he's just releasing it for those who don tknow or as a reminder for those who do.

I've done this on accident before a few times and always wondered what I did.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Xonar: show me a vid. I've been saying it over an over - no one uses this with Diddy (or others). This (Instant wall jumping) is not This (wall jumping slowly, rofl).

The best way to explain the difference is to watch the part on Jungle Japes, because you can't do the regular wall jumps on Jungle Japes, in fact, I'd wager you've NEVER wall jumped on Japes and didn't even know it was possible.
there aren't many people I know with vids up, but yeah it's great anyway.

situational, but great

alt-F4

Smash Ace
Ok just to make sure i am understanding exactly what is going on, you still have to use your second jump to get to the wall to wall jump right?

Dekar173

Justice Man
Aw dude I thought this was exactly what you said it was- instant.

You're actually DJing before you walljump, which is old to those of us that have seen this video, or encountered it on our own:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03U5jouoVpc

BUT, it IS something that a lot of people just wouldn't know how to do without practice, and I thank you for finding an empirical input that everyone can practice ;)

Sidenote about this- be careful against characters that have a move that has a hitbox that goes slightly below the stage, such as Marth who can usmash you (it has a sort of suction knockback effect, which will stagespike you if you're attempting to walljump >.>)

Jupz

Smash Master
there aren't many people I know with vids up, but yeah it's great anyway.

situational, but great

how is it situational apart from the fact you have to be on the ledge, which can happen several times per match.

i knew you could do it but never thought it would be so useful.

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
This seems useful only for doing reverse fairs, but that's about it. haha

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
If someone is pressuring you on the edge, they won't let you take the time to pluck a banana. It's too easily punishable. It would be better just to get back on the stage rather than to risk getting gimped.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Why would you want to limit yourself to just Fair/Uair/Dair when you can learn this and expand your options to also throw in a B-air WITH the option to Side B or Bair/Uair again afterwards. Really, the Bair is our fastest air attack and also the least laggy, why wouldn't it be a good idea to use it when getting back from the edge? Especially since, if it gets shielded, you can then forward B, unlike a fair where if it gets shielded you get grabbed.

Jenkins

Smash Lord
lol @ all the idiots in this thread.

like they dont see the potential.

**** them and goodbye leave this thread,

AZ amazingggggggggggggggggg find.

this can be amazingly useful and i will test this out

people are like "ive wall jumped before" GOOD FOR YOU WE ALL HAVE. this adds the wall jumping potential and edge guarding techniques to stages where it would never be possible, additionally adding speed to an otherwise easy to see/read tech

Player-1

Smash Legend

people are like "ive wall jumped before" GOOD FOR YOU WE ALL HAVE. this adds the wall jumping potential and edge guarding techniques to stages where it would never be possible, additionally adding speed to an otherwise easy to see/read tech

wtf....what FIND? He did it faster, that's not a 'find' you're doing the same EXACT inputs, but FASTER...

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It's like the difference between triangle jumping and wavedashing in Melee. It's the exact same inputs...but only the fastest input (wavedashing) is extremely useful while the latter is just meh.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
It's like the difference between triangle jumping and wavedashing in Melee. It's the exact same inputs...but only the fastest input (wavedashing) is extremely useful while the latter is just meh.
I think this is more comparable to a reverse short hop edgehog compared to a reverse SHFF edgehog. <<

Gnes

Smash Master

Theres many things wrong with this. Lets start with #1

1. Firstly....LOLZ at the name calling

2. AZ didn't find this, but he did bring it back to life. This is super old news, but since he noticed people don't utilize it he decided to start a new discussion on the topic.

3. This has been tested, ur extremely late, and its pretty situational. I can discuss that later if u want, fliphop has pretty much showed me all the "good options" out of this. There aren't many. *Bair/Fair is not one of them*

4. Uh this is a easy to see/read "Tech" regardless. The only thing it adds is a extra option on the ledge aka mix-up, which is up to the player to utilize to the fullest.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised when you see what I manage to do with this.

The instant wall jumped Bair away from the stage is actually a "safe" option vs edge guarders. I did testing vs MK yesterday and if MK stands by the edge of the stage and tries jabs/dtilts/air attacks (while landing on the stage still)/ftilt/etc while you are instant wall jumping > bair (away from stage), your Bairs will hit MK but nothing MK can do will hit you. Sorta like how MK/Marth can release the edge of the stage and instantly uair/fair with complete safety. So: if you IWJ > Bair and MK sits on the edge and Dtilts, your Bair will connect without trading hits with MK.

Of course by "safe" I don't mean you can sit on the edge and do this over and over, because you have to Side-B to get back as quick as possible and eventually MK can just run off the stage under you can use the 50 jumps he has to be annoying.

Top Bottom