• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How To Turnip Free Pull Without B-Stick

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
Since there isn't a thread properly explaining how to do this, I decided to make this one explaining about Turnip Free Pulling without the need of B-Stick.

There are two ways of doing the turnip free pull thing without B-Sticking:

Method 1

How to do: You must turn around, pull the turnip and press the control stick on the direction you turned to. The controller inputs should be:

If Peach is standing to the left:
[→, ↓, B, →] (She will slide to the right)
If Peach is standing to the right:
[←, ↓, B, ←] (She will slide to the left)

The timing is hard.

This was recently mentioned in the Peach GD thread by someone. I accidentally discovered this a long time ago (back when the turnip free pull with B-Stick was originally discovered), but I didn't post anything because I only got to do it once and I couldn't recreate how I did it, and I felt it was something too difficult to be worth learning. But the other day I tried and managed to do it a few times on training mode.

I need to know who was the one to first discover this method so I can edit this post and give proper credit.

Method 2

How to do: You must first practice how to pull turnips with the C-Stick, which is done by pressing the B Button and then pressing down on the C-Stick. They need to be pressed ALMOST at the same time, but make sure you press the B Button before pressing down on the C-Stick. After you get it down, you just need to turn around normally, and then using this method of turnip pull, so you can use the Control Stick to continue with the slide.

Controller inputs are:

[→, B, C↓, →] (She will slide to the right)

[←, B, C↓, ←] (She will slide to the left)

This method was discovered by Edreese and posted long ago in a conversation between him and Niko K.

Btw I tried to do the turnip free pull with this second method out of a dash dance and it worked (and Peach received an extra boost too.) So I guess that's new.

So yeah, they are pretty hard to do, but if you are willing to learn them, then there are your tools. Now you need to work with them. If someone can provide frame data and/or videos demonstrating how to do this then that would be awesome.

Is this worth learning? Will this help Peach overcome her bad matchups? Which method is the easiest to learn? Feel free to discuss everything here.

Xyless

Smash Master
Since there isn't a thread properly explaining how to do this, I decided to make this one explaining about Turnip Free Pulling without the need of B-Stick.

There are two ways of doing the turnip free pull thing without B-Sticking:

Method 1

How to do: You must turn around, pull the turnip and press the control stick on the direction you turned to. The controller inputs should be:

[→, ↓, B, →] (She will slide to the right)
[←, ↓, B, ←] (She will slide to the left)

The timing is hard.

This was recently mentioned in the Peach GD thread by someone. I accidentally discovered this a long time ago (back when the turnip free pull with B-Stick was originally discovered), but I didn't post anything because I only got to do it once and I couldn't recreate how I did it, and I felt it was something too difficult to be worth learning. But the other day I tried and managed to do it a few times on training mode.

I need to know who was the one to first discover this method so I can edit this post and give proper credit.
Clearly, my CPU discovered it. And I've been practicing the freepull ever since, and I'm doing it about 50% of the time I want to...when facing left. It's harder to me to do it the other direction.

But seriously, do either of them go further?

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
i miiight learn this, maybe. i've been practicing all of peach's techy stuff for lulz like the fake toss and bonewalking, ledge cancel stuff, some little strings or combos i've been practicing so maybe my tech skill went up just a little bit for a brawl nub. xD

i think i'll try it for fun and then rly start srsly try to get this down if i find myself doing it a decent amount of the time without really trying.

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
I find method 1 pretty difficult for me to do it consistently. I can do it around 15% of the time, which is not good at all. =\

On the other hand, using method 2 I can do it about 35% of the time, probably because I practiced that one longer since I knew about it before. Anyways, I won't implement any of this into my game for the moment, since I'm not doing it consistently, and doing an unintended forward B out of the stage is something not cool at all. =\

Xyless

Smash Master
Yeah, the big problem about including this into Peach's metagame is, it's really unpredictable, because you have to be so precise, that one mess up either means a reversed toad or a bomber. Both of which are punishable and not what we want.

Marie Antoinette

Smash Apprentice
Free pulling without b-sticking is just too hard to pull off. I was experimenting with b-stick, and there are so many things that will make your game unpredictable. Free pulling really leads to some interesting approaches, but the b-stick always impedes a few things that are more essential. I've tried to do it without b-stick, but it's just too **** hard.

Sky`

Smash Lord
Buffering the turnip out of a dash, and free turnip pulling is easy.

Buffering the turnip pull in less than 1/4th that time is almost impossible.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
It's not impossible. Just practice it 2 hours a day for a month. I gaurantee you you'll have it down 99% of the time. I spent probably 3-4 hours on it total and i was doing it 50% of the time...so are most people. its not impossible, it just takes dedication and alot of time.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
It is if you are at the level where you have nothing else to spend your time on improving. If your matchups aren't all really good and your basics of timing and spacing and approaches aren't top notch it's not worth the effort. However when you reach a real high level you feel yourself not having much to improve on, and these little things then make the difference.

Sky`

Smash Lord
I never said it was impossible.

But there's a disconnect from the tournament viable and the 'not really worth the trouble' sorta thing.

Kinda like ISJR.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Been practicing for an hour now, can only do it about 20% of the time. It's nifty but I can only see this as an extension to what one can utilize mid-match. It shouldn't make or break anyone's chances of winning imo, but it doesn't hurt to have this as a back-pocket technique for spacing.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I never said it was impossible.

But there's a disconnect from the tournament viable and the 'not really worth the trouble' sorta thing.

Kinda like ISJR.
It's way easier than ISJR and stuff like that though. Those kind of impractical things that physically work give you like a 1 frame leeweigh. This thing gives you like 10-20 or something if I remember right? It's a huge difference, this isn't impractical to get down.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
This is really really hard to do. Bone Walking is NOTHING in comparison to the difficulty of doing this

My consistancy is probably something between 5 and 10%. Most of the time I either Peach Bomber or turn around and pull up the Turnip and don't go anywhere

This looks like it'd be nice to throw in and make Turnip pulling less punishable(?) and space you furthur away but it's very difficult if you ask me :/ I'm really having trouble doing it

If people manage to crack this as well as Bone Walking...then B Sticking with Peach is effectivly useless
not that it wasn't before...<3 you Meno

$BONE$

Smash Ace
I don't even play Brawl anymore, and I can do this 90% of the time. WTH is wrong with you noobs. Just give up plz, thanks. Edrees is a stud.

NAMQ_DrunkeNFeasT

Smash Journeyman
I practiced it, on the third try I got it working >.>

lol, my mad skills of noob, I don't play brawl either :O, I play... +... -... bb XD

anyways, I can't apply this to my game to new for me to adapt so soon (it's not a new tech, but it's new to me :p)

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
To be honest I didn't know this was here...hmm...
That's what I've been doing with the Pit boards. There are tons of good threads from 08/09 that has been lost and forgotten. It's good to bring up some past information that is still relevant to the Brawl world.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I don't care what anyone says. This is still relevant to what we should all learn and deserves to remain on the front page. Bonewalking has been cracked, now it's time for us to work on the standing freepulls. I guarantee it'll be what cracks the MK matchup to a manageable 40:60 since our turnip pulling ratio would increase tremendously if we're continuously on the move. All of us have yet to safely pull as many turnips per match against a MK as Meno does.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
This is very important!!

I have gotten a lot better at bonewalking and the up air string recently. I have some video footage I'm going to put up later of how I practice technical stuff with Peach.

Recently I've been experimenting with the turnip free pull without b-stick. What I do is:

Fox Trot Left <---
Turn around and turnip pull with a quartercircle motion to slide to the right.

This also works if you want to fox trot to the right and slide to the left.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I've been trying your input for half an hour Kyle and I can't seem to get it down yet. I don't know what I'm doing wrong... xD

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
I don't know if I explained it correctly lol.

I will try to get a video of it up very soon. It looks cool and works for mind games and you can reverse glide toss right after it for more distance.

So like right after you fox trot in one direction, you immediately turnaround while pulling the turnip. It's kind of like bonewalking

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
oooooooooh i see what you mean. hella weird. what would be the main differences between this and bonewalking?

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I'll make a vid of this. Give me about 2 hours to do so. Have to update this crap *** machine. But I know how to do both manually with no problem. And I'll explain in the video the proper way to do this. It's not as hard as I thought it would be and as everyone thinks it is.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Honestly guys - this is cool and all but it really doesnt help.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I am assuming this thread is back due to the words of Lee Martin?
Partially, yes. Mostly because we need ways to chop at the MK matchup as much as possible, and this is one of them.

@ Illmatic- Why? Progressive discussion is progressive discussion, you never know what you'll get out of it. That doesn't mean we should just call it moot and ditch it just like that. Just look at how bonewalking has become a standard tool in our gameplay after believing it was too complicated to effectively implicate in matches that matter (admittedly I was also one of the naysayers; just read through the first page to see what I mean). Give it a chance and see if we can do the same with other types of pulls.

z00ted

I just think it gets in the way more than it helps.
Just my opinion.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
I was partially interested in it as well after Lee Martin made that comment about turnip freepull.

Us Peach players need to step it up a notch in the technical department if we want to compete at the highest levels of Smash Bros.

Bonewalking is so useful!!! And turnip freepulling without the cstick has a lot of potentially good applications to her ground game.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
yeah i have bonewalking and my ledgecancel turnip setups about 80-90% down.

ima try it out a lot in friendlies and tourney now.

and illmatic, think of it this way...how does extra mobility not help?

peach is a slow character so she cud use all the mobility she can get.

if you don't want to learn this trust me when i say that bonewalking is 10 times easier to pick up haha.

z00ted

I suppose extra mobility could help.... eh I'll look into it.

Top Bottom