• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Experiences With Upgrading/Downgrading (Video Demonstration Up)

illinialex24

Smash Hero
**Here's the video**

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut6Z-ARcbyM&fmt=18

Ok, so here's what I did:

I first used the NUS Downloader and got the system menu, IOS38, 56, 57, and 61, the Wii Shop Channel and IOS70. With this I can get full basic functionality of the Wii, in short, everything but region free and no save game copy protection (can overwrite that with Waninkoko's save game manager anyway).

Now, I put these files on my SD card and used Dop IOS v8 to install the IOS's, trucha signing only IOS70 and 38. I then WAD installed the Wii Shop Channel and then used the NUS Downloader to download a decrypted form of the latest Wii System Menu.

I then grabbed 00000088.app and opened it with a hex editor. I went to offset 4AC0 in HxD and then the term before it on the previous line is 2C and then I edited the 8 consecutive values to be 8 F's, so we had 4 pairs of FF's starting that line. I then saved it and put it in my FSToolbox folder.

I then WAD installed the Wii System Menu for 4.2U and then without ever starting the system menu, went to FSToolbox and installed that modified .app file to the nand.

Then I reset the Wii and loaded the Wii system menu. WAD channels worked fine, the Homebrew channel still existed, DVDx still worked.

I went back into the WAD Manager and this time installed the 449 System Menu (4.1U) and then exited for the system menu.

It worked, I was back on 4.1U. I then restored my nand so I could get back preloader and all that and then went back to enjoying what I had done.

4.2U with Gecko OS is a safe upgrade now if you have some technical know how. I wanna learn how to create a file patch thing so I can edit the .app after you download it yourself.

This is 100% tested. 4.2U is easily crackable. (Ften, amazing work on the patch).

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Nintendo just got three stocked again

I wish I was as awesome as illinialex

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Thank you, some of this isn't my work, like the finding of the spots where to edit the System menu. However, I did come up with the idea of using FSToolbox as the most efficient way to update it, as well as find which .app file needed to be edited.

I also tested the method which most didn't do. I'll be posting a video now.

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
Omg you are a god.Thanx u so much. I will be awaiting this video

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
ninty succesfully jv 5-stocked in a 4 stock match

so...exactly how far back can you downgrade safely, alex?

EDIT: i use hbc solely for brawl+. I wouldn't have a use for DVDX if i installed it. I have no other mods, hard or soft, on my system. Taking this into account, is it worth it to install BootMii on my Wii, and will it require any extra maintenance (ie NAND backups) once I do so?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
ninty succesfully jv 5-stocked in a 4 stock match

so...exactly how far back can you downgrade safely, alex?

EDIT: i use hbc solely for brawl+. I wouldn't have a use for DVDX if i installed it. I have no other mods, hard or soft, on my system. Taking this into account, is it worth it to install BootMii on my Wii, and will it require any extra maintenance (ie NAND backups) once I do so?
If I cared, 1.0. Seriously.

Not smart though lol.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
My PM inbox is at like 80/70 messages, I have obvious issues and for blackmailing undisclosed purposes I don't delete certain PM's.

Anyway, PM me on YT if you want to discuss this. My Youtube account is my homepage.

Top Bottom