• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai Can't SHFFL- A Melee and Smash 64 Tournament in Lawrence, KS 10/24/09

Jace08

Smash Lord
As you can see from the title, this will be a melee and 64 tournament, with melee being the main event. I'm hosting it in the basement of my dorm at Kansas University, which is actually a pretty decent-sized place with plenty of outlets. I'm expecting a fairly large player turnout because I'm advertising this tournament around the campus with flyers. I've run into a lot of students who've said they'd be interested in coming. If we get as many people as I'm hoping, I'll actually move this tournament to the main lobby, which has more room.

So all the KU students, local KC smashers, and OOS smashers should combine to make a good turnout. I highly doubt that any of the KU students will bring their own setups, however, so I really need you guys to bring as many cubes, tvs, and Nintendo 64s as you can. I greatly appreciate it.

Where
-McCollum Hall
-1800 Engel Rd
-Lawrence, KS 66045

Parking is free on Saturdays. My advice would be to park in the back of McCollum and come in through the basement door. That door is locked though so you'll have to knock or call me at (913) 787-3094.

When
-Saturday, October 24
-Registration starts at 11am

-Melee Doubles will start when registration is over, probably around 11:30ish
-Melee Singles will begin when doubles is over.

-64 Doubles will begin when melee singles is over; possibly during melee singles depending on time
-64 Singles will begin when 64 doubles is over; possibly during 64 doubles depending on time

Speaking of time, we don't have to be out of there by a specific time or anything. We can stay as long as we want as far as I know. In fact, if you guys show enough interest, I could even make this a 2 day tournament. So step it up, midwest!

Entry Fees
-$10 for singles
-$8 for doubles (it's 8 to encourage more people to do doubles (especially the KU scrubs) which will hopefully give the winning teams more money in the end. I'm open to changing it to the normal 10 bucks though)

-Venue Fee- None. The basement was free for me to reserve, and those of you coming from OOS need that money for gas.

Payout
- 1st - 60%
- 2nd - 30%
- 3rd – 10%
-I'm considering giving fourth their ten bucks back. Thoughts?

The Fine Print

Items off.
Ties are broken by remaining lives, then %. If both criteria are tied, then the Sudden Death match will be played out.
First stage is random from the Neutral stages listed below.
The loser of the first match will announce a new stage to play on for the next game. The winner will then be allowed to switch characters, followed by the loser. Apply the same logic for the third match (and fourthfifth when applicable) if there is one. (Advanced Slob Picks)
No stage may be used twice in a single set if the counter-picking player has already won on that stage, unless the opponent agrees to use the stage again. (Dave's Stupid Rule)
Double Blind character pick can be called at anytime before the first game of a set starts, and only apply to the first game.
Each person (or team) may choose one counter-pick stage to be disabled for the entire set at the START OF THE SET, after characters have been chosen but before the random stage has been picked.
Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned.
For doubles Team Attack will be ON, life stealing allowed.
I'll be using TIO.

Legal Stages

Neutrals
- Battlefield
- Final Destination
- Yoshi's Story
- Pokemon Stadium
- Dreamland 64
- Fountain of Dreams (Singles only)

Counterpicks
- Pokefloats
- Jungle Japes
- Kongo Jungle 64
- Mute City
- Rainbow Cruise
- Brinstar
- Green Greens
- Corneria

Smash 64 Rules

-Best of 3, 5 stock, 10 min Time limit
-Team Attack On
-Advanced Slob Picks

Legal Stages
Peach's Castle
Hyrule Temple
Saffron City
Dreamland
Congo Jungle

Let me just take a second to say that more melee players should get back into 64. Melee is still the best by a long shot, but 64 is just too fun to not play competitively. PLAY SMASH 64!

Housing

I gotta talk to my crew to see what we can do. I know that I could house a few in my room, and CFMV and Honda Foo are open to housing some people in their apartment. Normally Phatgamer is our guy in this department, so I'll talk to him and the others. Otherwise, there are hotels close by. If you need me to give you hotel information let me know.

It's worth mentioning that I'll be recording at least the more high-profile matches. I'll try to record as much as I can, and I'll see what I can do about commentary too. Everyone with recording equipment is encouraged to bring it.

Again, PLEASE BRING SETUPS!

If you need to get a hold of me on my phone, my number is (913) 787-3094. Feel free to give me suggestions in this thread and I appreciate your posting if you're coming. Thanks everyone and I hope you enjoy yourselves at the tournament!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
um maybe. i'll see where i am in a few weeks :/ if i go i'm recording 100% of my tournament matches

fino: good thing nokoast is brawl and this isn't...

D

Deleted member

i'll be there for ssb64

who's going to step up to take out my fox? lol

Jace08

Smash Lord
Awesome JBM and Uli get your whole crew to come. It would be cool to play Tyser, Dekline, Secks, and Smeesh (your falcon is hilariously good) again. Sorry in advance if I forgot anyone

@Smash64: Make it happen! We've got some great 64 players around here that I would love to see fight other regions

Tyserification

Smash Lord
I might be here.

Archive, your avatar is "supa supa kawaii desu" as quoted from Reita-Chan; havent seen it? Here ya go.

Warning, may rage.

dmac

Smash Champion
thats actually what i had imagined fino to be like. just swap out anime **** for brawl. yup, a great big ball of gay.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Hey I'm going to request the day off for this. I think I can make it. I'll confirm within the next couple of days (probably by wednesday).

If I go who wants to team with me?

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
I might as well go to this...

Anybody want to team with the best Daisy player in Existenzzce? That'd be me of course. Jace? Charlie?

Jace08

Smash Lord
NOOOoooo Tyser...

^Psh Phat doesn't even know how to lose JBM

Ziv I'm glad you're coming dude. Now Iowa & Purdue where you at?

§chizm

Smash Lord
JBM is probably the only Iowan going I believe.
Those of us in Des Moines already made plans to go to NoKoast2 a while ago.

Jace08

Smash Lord
It is kinda funny

But it isn't an issue, considering this is about melee and 64 while No Koast is Brawl...

BunBun

Smash Master
NOOOoooo Tyser...

^Psh Phat doesn't even know how to lose JBM

Ziv I'm glad you're coming dude. Now Iowa & Purdue where you at?
Uhm, it's a huge maybe at this point. I'm going to two tourneys in the two weeks preceding this, so I'm not sure if my gas budget / classwork management skills can handle this.

Nuris

Smash Lord
I doubt St Louis could make it but if somehow we do, would there be any chance of housing Friday night?

Jace08

Smash Lord
St. Louis you guys gotta come show us what you got!

Let me see if I can't find you guys some housing. For starters I know that CFMV & Honda Foo can take some in their apartment.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
We can house probably 2-3 max at our place

By the way, I discovered something that may GREATLY reduce the attendance of KU scrubs at your tournament, Jace: the KU-Oklahoma football game is that day (at KU). They haven't set a time yet but let's hope it's not at 11AM. This is the biggest home game of the year and will likely draw away the non-hardcore players (myself included). Just a heads up.

Jace08

Smash Lord
Dang that kind of sucks. I may have to reschedule the time of day to fit around the game then.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
After thinking about it, if the tournament is held after the game I think it would probably work out much better. If it's before, like at 11AM even while the game is at 6PM or something, I can still see a lot of people opting out. But hopefully it's a morning kickoff, so then the tourney can start at like 2-3PM and everyone can go without missing out on anything.

Jace08

Smash Lord
Eh I'll think about it. Although I'll say it right now, this tournament is mainly for OOS smashers and local KC smashers, and enticing KU students to come is a second priority. It's still really important that I get a lot of KU students, but their interests come second.

And I don't want to start as late as 2-3pm b/c then things might get a little rushed to finish, considering we're doing both melee and 64. But does anyone else have an opinion on this?

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
There's probably no way to find out how many ppl are going to miss it because of the football game so...

Might as well ignore it and just play on as scheduled.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
the tourney results

1.JBM
2.SMEESH
3.DMAC
4.Z
5.SECKS.
6.ECHO
7.TYSER
8.MO
9.PHAT GAMER