• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Princeton SmashCraft Heroes Presents - Intercollegiate Smash Invitational 11/13-14

balladechina212

Smash Ace
Princeton University's gaming club, SmashCraft Heroes, was important in creating the Collegiate Star League (CSL) last year and revolutionizing the intercollegiate Starcraft community (see articles: The Daily Princetonian, The Harvard Crimson, New York Times).

We're looking towards doing something similar (although probably not as large-scale) with Smash this year, so Princeton is proud to present:

Intercollegiate Smash Invitational
November 13th and 14th, 2009​
Princeton University​
Princeton, NJ - Rockefeller Common Room​

I am posting this to shed light on this idea of an intercollegiate competition for Smash. Feel free to email me ideas or suggestions at balladechina212@gmail.com. Also, I encourage other colleges to look into events such as these in the future.

Registration

I have already contacted the schools that will be participating, so there is unfortunately no registration for this event.
IMPORTANT: THIS IS NOT A TOURNAMENT, see "Spectators" section below.

Schools

• Columbia University*
  • New York University*
  • Princeton University*
  • Rutgers University*
  • University of Maryland*
  • University of Pennsylvania*
* = confirmed

Players (incomplete)
Columbia University
  • Amro
  • Grim
  • Goof
  • Chow
  • Preparation h
New York University
Princeton University
  • J122
  • raiame
  • unc
  • loci
Rutgers University
  • TechMasterDaveElite
  • bontez
  • ChrisdaArtist
University of Maryland
  • Wenbo
  • Winston
  • ChivalRuse
  • ChRed2AKrisp
  • voodoo
University of Pennsylvania
  • Scar

Venue
The venue will be in the Rockefeller Common Room on campus. Pictures:
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee51/balladechina212/DSC01724.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee51/balladechina212/DSC01726.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee51/balladechina212/DSC01727.jpg
We'll move the furniture accordingly and there will be plenty of seating for players and spectators alike.

Transportation
Take NJ Transit directly to Princeton (through Princeton Junction). If you're driving, just use Google Maps and search Princeton University.

The red circle is the venue. There will be signs around the area to direct you to the room. If you get lost, call me at (304)553-4973.
The green circle is the parking lot. It's probably a 15 min walk from the venue, so maybe you're better off temporarily parking on Nassau St. (green line) to drop off any stuff you're bringing.
The blue circle is the train station.

Spectators (PLEASE READ, VERY IMPORTANT)
As I mentioned above, I already went through a process and have contacted the schools that will be participating. However, people who wish to spectate can feel free to visit throughout the event. We cannot promise that you will be able to play friendlies all the time, because setups are limited and we will kick you off friendlies if we need the setup to advance the tournament.
This is a FREE event (no venue fee for spectators and it was also free for all the participants) and although we will have food/snacks, they will be limited and the players will be given priority. And although we will provide housing on the night of 11/13 for the players, we cannot do the same for spectators, so please plan your trips accordingly.

Setups (NEED MORE)
TVs:
Princeton - 3
Columbia - 1
Penn - 2

Cubes/Wiis:
Princeton - 2
NYU - 1
Columbia - 2
Rutgers - 2

Technical stuff
I only have one laptop with recording capability and it would be nice if some people could bring some laptops with capture cards and/or splitter cables. I want to record as much as we can for hype for future events, especially since the commentary will be a nice addition to the videos.

Housing (FOR PLAYERS ONLY)
We will provide housing (in Princeton dorms) for those PLAYERS who need it. Bring a sleeping bag and your basic necessities. Smash is not guaranteed in all the rooms :/. Try to get some sleep Friday night since singles are 10am on Saturday morning.

Food
For Saturday brunch, we will provide food (guest meals) in our dining hall at around noon or 1. The dining hall is literally the next room over from the venue so this will be convenient. I encourage all of you to eat dinner before coming Friday evening because we will not provide that. However, we will have snacks (chips, soda, etc.) throughout the event for you guys. To make sure the spectators don't eat all the food, we'll have a separate table of snacks for the players.

Event Schedule:

Players, please plan to arrive around 7pm to warm up and work out any issues.

Friday, November 13th
8pm - late: Melee Doubles
Saturday, November 14th
11am - 2:30pm: Melee Singles
3pm - 6pm: Melee Crew Battles (college teams)

The times aren't too strict but we'll try to keep to the schedule for the most part.

Commentating and Streaming

Scar will be providing informative commentary for the spectators and this will be recorded and added to the recorded video. We are considering streaming the projector screen with a videocamera if it is convenient and if there is enough interest.

Rules
SBR Recommended Rule List: Melee

Scoring
Placing in each of the three events will earn a school a certain number of points for their college. The college with the most points at the end of the event will be declared the winner of the invitational.

Melee Singles (30 players total):
4 9th places - 2 point each
2 7th places - 4 points each
2 5th places - 7 points each
4th place - 10 points
3rd place - 13 points
2nd place - 17 points
1st place - 20 points

Melee Doubles (12 teams total):
2 5th places - 6 points each
4th place - 12 points
3rd place - 16 points
2nd place - 23 points
1st place - 27 points

Melee Crew Battles (6 crews total):
2 5th places - 8 points
4th place - 14 points
3rd place - 20 points
2nd place - 32 points
1st place - 38 points

Prizes

We will not know our budget until the day of the tournament, so prizes are very much up in the air. Don't have amazing expectations and you'll be happy no matter what we end up getting. :)

Comments and feedback are greatly appreciated. We hope that events like this will happen more often in the near future!

Reaver197

Smash Lord
NYU guy here. This sounds like an awesome idea. I wonder if those PolyTech guys will join in.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Well the only problem is WVU contains some of the best players in the world: KrazyKnux and PH.D. Get at.

balladechina212

Smash Ace
Yo guys can we start getting a setup count for the event? Unfortunately there's no incentive for bringing setups since the event's free, but we definitely need help with this.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
I can bring a cube. My TV is a little too large to bring with me to New Jersey, lol.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Alright, I have a question as to how teams will work if each college can only bring 5 people. Does someone from each college have to sit out from teams?

balladechina212

Smash Ace
Haha I'll be working out all the things like budget, advertising, etc. this week (it's my Fall Break) so everything should be finalized by next weekend.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Why would we travel to spectate and watch a lot of not awesome players play? Most of us will just save our money to watch the good players play at a tournament we can actually enter.

balladechina212

Smash Ace
Why would we travel to spectate and watch a lot of not awesome players play? Most of us will just save our money to watch the good players play at a tournament we can actually enter.
Chill, we're not forcing you to come. I know not all the players are that good, but 1) This is a free event, 2) When was the last time you went to an intercollegiate smash tournament, and 3) There's free food :)

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Chill, we're not forcing you to come. I know not all the players are that good, but 1) This is a free event, 2) When was the last time you went to an intercollegiate smash tournament, and 3) There's free food :)
My point is that no one cares about point one, because we can't enter. No one cares about point 2 unless they attend one of the colleges, in which case you're not getting a huge crowd, because only the closest colleges would travel with more than their competitors at best. We care about point three, but not enough to travel, because that neutralizes the point of it being free.

Besides, I'm probably the only person that enjoys Smash as a spectator's sport. Basically what I'm saying is, expect a small turnout.

All that being said, I hope your event has great success, because it could lead to bigger and better things in the future.

balladechina212

Smash Ace
Btw, prizes will most likely not be money or gift cards (because we couldn't get a separate sponsor), but we'll do our best to make them awesome.

goof72

Smash Rookie
Yo guys can we start getting a setup count for the event? Unfortunately there's no incentive for bringing setups since the event's free, but we definitely need help with this.
This is Goof from Columbia. Do you still need TV's? It's a heckuva schlepp, but I can bring a small-ish TV if it'll make the difference between playing and not playing. I'll bring a cube/game/memcard regardless.

J-Flo

Smash Cadet
Do we need a pass to park at Princeton? Is parking or the pass going to cost anything?

balladechina212

Smash Ace
There's a visitor's parking lot and it'll be free. As marked on the map though, it's pretty far from the venue (15 min walk). You guys might want to drop stuff off first.

doyoung2win

Smash Ace
doyoung2win cant attend, spamerer has swine flu, mommysiafu has family obligations, eazy is a scrub and is going to a brawl tournament, arjun is busy and cheezit is visiting family.

Rutgers will be attending but many good players will not be there. Jack I expect to play you sometime in the near future.

Have a good tournament.

balladechina212

Smash Ace
Thanks Doyoung, hopefully we'll play another time.

Huge update in the thread, or just check your email if you're the main contact for your school. It would have all the information you need for this weekend. And PLEASE respond to me about the things that I asked for.

balladechina212

Smash Ace
Sorry Keblerelf, the teams are pretty much already set. But I was talking to Rutgers and the NJ schools could play some time after this weekend since we're so close.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
add two more coming from university of maryland, me and voodoo.

Also, I can bring a recording setup.

Also also, I might be able to bring a TV. Definately a cube tho.

Also unless scar brings massively **** players with him, UMD is taking crews.

Top Bottom