• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's DownTilt Spike. Distances Needed To Land It.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Ok so here we go. I did some testing once I found out how to spike Link from the ledge with a DownTilt after I had accidentally done it on WiFi. I tested it on every character and grouped the characters it works on. Thankfully a large majority has the same distance. Here it is. I used Battlefield as the stage because the platforms provided a landmark to aid in the location where Link needs to be standing from the ledge. Note this spike only works when the characters below are hanging from the ledge.

This threads purpose is to give you all a clear picture of where you need to be in order to use the LHDS (Ledge Hang Dtilt Spike).

The distance in order to spike from the ledge is 2.5 the thickness of the Hylian Shield from the ledge to the shield.
- Blubba Pinecone.

Well that's all find and dandy, Blubba. But who the **** is going to be able to remember something like that, picture where exactly 2.5 Thickness of the Hylian Shield from the ledge and then apply it? Maybe just you. So here's a way for everyone to easily understand where you need to be standing in order to spike certain characters from the ledge.

The Majority Distance

From this distance you can Spike the following characters.

Mario
Link
Samus
Fox
Pikachu
Mr. Game & Watch
Luigi
Zelda
Shiek
Falco
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Peach
Ganondorf
Wolf
Lucario
Bowser
Captain Falcon

ROB, Wario, Kirby

This is the Distance needed to spike these 3 characters from the Ledge. It is a tad but closer to the ledge then the Majority Distance.

King Dedede

This is the distance you'll need from the ledge to spike King Dedede as he hangs from the ledge.

Meta Knight

This is the distance needed from the ledge to spike Meta Knight.

Ness, Lucas

Ness and Lucas both can be spiked at the distance needed to spike Wario, ROB, and Kirby. However there is a bit of a problem with these two. For some reason the spike will only connect during a certain part of their hanging animation. The picture above shows this point. Ness and Lucas will both struggle to pull themselves up, lifiting their heads above the stage level, and fail only to drop back down. When they drop back down their face becomes level with the stage. It is at this moment the Dtilt will spike them both. Due to the amount of time Ness/Lucas need to be on the ledge in order for this to work I suggest not relying on this.

Bowser

While Bowser falls into the majority distance there is another spot in which you can spike him. The picture above displays this. However, like Ness and Lucas there is a certain place in Bowser's ledge hanging animation that will allow you to spike him from this distance. The picture below shows Bowser's right ledge lifted up and no longer visible to the player. This is where the Dtilt will spike him. Again, the amount of time needed for this to work will make this very difficult. Do not depend on this.

Ice Climbers

The Ice Climbers are another character that was strange spike properties to them. There are 3 different distances in which you can spike the Ice Climbers. The picture below is the first distance. At this distance Dtilt will spike Popo only.

The next picture will display the third distance needed to spike. This distances will spike Nana only.

The second distance is directly inbetween these two and will result in both Ice Climbers being spiked.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Very nice and accurate, I'm assuming.

Never knew that about the IC spike, that's pretty cool.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Awesome stuff Kirin, I'll be practising this one working on the distance and remembering that list. I sure hope someone makes a video out of this. *Hint, hint* ;)

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Just remember the practicality of this. You're opponent won't always be hanging on the ledge waiting for you to do this. You'll really have to work for these.

Jink

Smash Apprentice
@KirinBlaze
Pardon my irrelevant question, but what's up with Link's color? I haven't been in these forum for a long time and I haven't played in a while too. I can't remember the Red costume looked like that. Anyway, it looks better in those images you posted, than in the game.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
@KirinBlaze
Pardon my irrelevant question, but what's up with Link's color? I haven't been in these forum for a long time and I haven't played in a while too. I can't remember the Red costume looked like that. Anyway, it looks better in those images you posted, than in the game.
It's a texture hack, a really freakin awesome one.

Realmz

Smash Apprentice
I've always had trouble pulling this off. You went about explaining it perfectly, Kirin. I'll keep the distances in mind if I ever see the chance to go for it.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Excellent, I've been meaning to do some testing on this, but this is pretty good.

I've been getting to close, makes sense.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
@KirinBlaze
Yeah, it's a texture hack. In fact I make texture hacks. I would even say I main in making Link texture hacks because Link is just that much ownage... If anyone has any texture idea they want, I'm totally open to Link suggestions!

Also, it's nice to hear that people has been able to figure this out. If only auto-sweepspotting didn't exist.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Yeah, it's a texture hack. In fact I make texture hacks. I would even say I main in making Link texture hacks because Link is just that much ownage... If anyone has any texture idea they want, I'm totally open to Link suggestions!

Also, it's nice to hear that people has been able to figure this out. If only auto-sweepspotting didn't exist.
Then most of the cast could just Dtilt to gimp recoveries just like in Melee, which really sucks for Link.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
Then most of the cast could just Dtilt to gimp recoveries just like in Melee, which really sucks for Link.
Well if Link had a melee style hookshot where it was extra long and could hit any part of the stage that would be great. Also why can't Link wall jump? he's an agile fighter, it just doesn't make sense.

@RocketPSIence-

There already is one but I would like to see if someone could do a better job on a Kafei texture for Link

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Izaw must have this down to a science with all of the stage spikes he has in his videos. I guess I have work to do.

And so do you, Kirin! Get that projectile section done!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Triforce of Courage guide isn't updated, but this stuff would find a very good home in the HOT guide.

Top Bottom