• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to fight R.O.B.

TlocCPU

Smash Apprentice
My apologies if there was a thread export, I couldn't find one.

The approach:
This is where everyone struggles the most, but you honestly don't even have to memorize any timing! Dash towards ROB and watch his body very closely. Before both of his projectiles, he does some sort of motion i.e. lifting his head. That is when you shield cancel your dash, you will powershield him every time flawlessly. When you get to ROB, do NOT try to shield grab, you're asking to get punished bad. However, dedede has some very difficult to punish options at this point.
-Spaced Ftilt
It will trade hits with ROB's ftilt, which he probably isn't even going to use because of the worry of being grabbed, and it completely outranges the rest of his moves. Unless he tries to approach and powershield it, ROB cannot punish your ftilt from its farthest range, not even with projectiles as they are slower than your move.
-Short hop reverse bair
My favorite move in the game again. Here is another matchup where your bair completely beats all of your opponents aerials, except nair, which will clash with it only if you hit the very end of the nair, which you shouldn't try at high %! Remember to mix it up much like I pointed out against Marth when doing this, If ROB shields they're going to try to punish probably with an ftilt or grab, so utilize your jumps and dair his shield a few times before you land, orrrrr
-Swallow
All ROB can do about this is space an ftilt or fsmash you. If you're mixing up your air approach, don't be afraid to pivot a swallow after your bair or even just run right up to him and SH swallow. They're not going to see it coming for the most part unless you've already done it so it's free damage.

Where we win this matchup:
We gimp ROB almost as bad as metaknight does except we don't get a shuttle loops. There is almost absolutely no risk in going offstage and bairing everything ROB has. I cannot tell you how many times I have run a ROB out of fuel (**** those gas prices) because I kept bairing his up B. I get most of my damage on this and not on chaingrabs. Plus it makes them have to either grab the ledge, where you edgeguard ROB tremendously, or up B overhead, which is a grab opportunity on landing.
As far as edgegaurding goes, there are a couple things ROB will try while on the ledge.
-Sidehop fair
This can be beaten simply by throwing out a bair. ALSO, this is a killing opportunity! If you read the ROB doing this, and you shield it, you can uptilt right after. Too good :p
-Sidehope nair
I just downtilt it as I see it come out, easy as that.
-Side hop projectile
Just ftilt him if you see him trying to space to shoot you
-Get up attack
Free shield grab

When can I grab ROB?
The reason most Dedede players find this matchup even IMO is because they spend the whole matchup trying to grab ROB and end up getting punished over and over creating an illusion that ROB has a lot of stuff on Dedede. Simply put, don't think about the grab in this matchup. The only time you have it is if you powershield a drop Fair, a jab, an ftilt in close encounters, or shield his entire downsmash. These are very rare mistakes for a good ROB to make. If they make that mistake, cool, free chaingrab, if not, you need to play the way I've suggested.

Overall I would say 60:40 dedede or maybe even 65:35 dedede

Jupz

Smash Master
Yeah thanks, lets make this the R.O.B. matchup discussion.

Nice summary, yeah I think it is 40:60 our favour :p

TlocCPU

Smash Apprentice
Oh and also you can dthrow to dtilt rob on the edge if you get the chaingrab. You know how much of a boner I get from gimping ROB offstage ;)

Jupz

Smash Master
Lol CPU. But can't rob just airdodge out of our Bair chain and still make it back fine? If we regrab and try to gimp him again, he could rising Nair and it would be fairly unpunishable.

Just a thought.

TlocCPU

Smash Apprentice
Lol CPU. But can't rob just airdodge out of our Bair chain and still make it back fine? If we regrab and try to gimp him again, he could rising Nair and it would be fairly unpunishable.

Just a thought.
You mean regrab while we're on the ledge? And he's below us? I just sidehop the ledge and dair, dair beats it flat out without clashing.

OMG H4X

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rustytotallypwns
good thread, i needed some vs rob advice!

now i need to work on my dthrow to d tilts..

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Lol I thought you would never contribute to us. Good **** nonetheless.

And on the matchup exports subject, we tend to only do ones that are bad or even matchups for us.

∫unk

Smash Master
when you approach from far away after shielding the first projectile i start walking cause the second one is usually right after... back roll or jump over a thrown top thats on stage don't waste your shield or take damage trying to get rid of it

like you said, a problem a lot of ddd's have is rushing into their **** zone trying to get the grab... vs ppl like marth and rob you rarely grab them... just use your fat priority foot that lasts longer than airdodges :)

another **** post by cpu that im going to read multiple times lol

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Serin is correct here.
And wow you all need to bring your computer's brightness to the default because I can read the brown, and everybody else can read it just fine. Junk the color has nothing to do with my point. And Fogo I didn't mean by matches with others (besides he gets to play against MikeHaze all the time) , I meant by the type of "good" by write-ups.
I'm not contrasting me and CPU by our quantity of write-ups but I mean you could say the same about me being good with write-ups to questions and how much knowledge we put into a post. That's what I meant.
Gee...it's harder to bring my thesis to other people's minds than I thought. And I still don't get how people come up with that nickname so fast in their posts, still can't comprehend that.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
and you write too much for a small point :p

you know we <3 you beef
I feel like inputting capitals right now. -_-
It's better to elaborate on what I say more because even you guys didn't see my point a couple posts ago, so it's better to do so. I know more than you Junk. And no i don't think that you all really love me.
And besides, my answers to questions and critiques are quite long enough for it bring out many points if you see them.

T3h Albino

Smash Master
It's not good to elaborate on things that can be answered with a shorter post.
That's how you confuse people, and have them question what you're saying.
Short, sweet, and too the point. ^_^

T3h Albino

Smash Master
How can you confuse me when I can barely read your posts. =/
Like after reading the first 3 sentences of one of your monologues I get the point, and I feel if I read the rest
It'd just be "fluff".
Though there is the rare exception when I put on my super reading glasses, and sit down and read everything you have to say, and a lot of the time when I do it's beneficial I'll give you that.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
loooool

i dont really see the point of saying you know more than me (even though you do)

or why youre so serious
Well...I say that because it connects with you saying that I write too much for a small point. But I think I write a lot for multiple points, which is why I said I know more than you.
Albino...sure being relaxed can be part of it, but...then again, no it's not.
I'm serious here for a reason that I hate to keep saying Junk, so sorry that will remain a mystery to you. Unless if somebody else remembers why -_-...

∫unk

Smash Master
i still dont see why that has to do with knowing more than me

i don't say everything i know so my posts are short

i dont think you understand how your posts look to other people

i still dont see how your font and color being hard to read is not a legitimate explanation to why people don't read your posts and why you have to get butthurt about it. i think it's mostly the italics. that and lack of spacing

like as someone thats coming here to learn not only are your posts hard to read but when you have a stick up your butt no one wants to read your posts

the best thing you could do is respond to this with something funny but you wont

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
i still dont see how your font and color being hard to read is not a legitimate explanation to why people don't read your posts and why you have to get butthurt about it. i think it's mostly the italics. that and lack of spacing
That's not the correct reason to why I'm always mad here.
And I'm not explaining anything anymore to anybody, so sorry you didn't get it. This should have been in the social thread -_-. I'm sick of the topic being revolved around me so I'm stopping here.

TlocCPU

Smash Apprentice
Beef is a really smart Dedede player. I don't think me or him have more valid opinions on matchups. We show each other things, and tbh I think we're equal skill level. He beats people I don't, I beat people he doesn't. Excellent best dedede players on the west coast <3

∫unk

Smash Master
i guess none of us are ranked so being the best is >_> teba will always be the best lol

the best active player that plays ddd on the wc is probably like dsf or mikehaze so we have to step it up lol

TlocCPU

Smash Apprentice
i guess none of us are ranked so being the best is >_> teba will always be the best lol

the best active player that plays ddd on the wc is probably like dsf or mikehaze so we have to step it up lol
Lol junk XD
They don't even use Dedede right :p
Teba lost to mike twice in a row at the most recent palmdale <3

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Thanks for posting this CPU. It's really solid advice so I'll put it in the Grand United Guide.

TheMike

Smash Lord
DDD players need to learn how to approach as ROB's only option is his Camper Game. As CPU said, Dash > Shield is probably the best one, then something OoS with good range to punish ROB, like Ftilt, which is a great option. Since you're close to him, you can do ****.

ROB has no escape, he'll be chain grabbed, DDD will win in the air and, the worst thing, is when he takes the poor robot off-stage, where he usually does a good job in most of his match-ups, but on this one, it's completely differenty >.>

In close range, ROB needs to play intelligently, punishing DDD when he's desperate to get a CG. ROB will have some trouble for killing, as DDD is heavy and he can't go off-stage against him... Again, here DDD has the advantage... ROB is a big target(DDD's also an one, but he too heavy to suffer with KOs) and the penguin's Utilt is amazing.

For stages, if ROB has problems with CG, Smashville is the best option as the stage is shorter than usual and the CG will be reduced, but IMO the best neutral is FD... a big stage that allows our camper game <3 For CPs, Norfair, but ROB will certainly have many Bairs. Brinstar is also a nice option as DDD will have some problems for the CG, when the stage is divided, ROB can camp well and he'll find less problem for KOs.

For DDD, Delfino, Castle Siege for obvious reasons.

65:35 for D3 if he plays well... =[

TlocCPU

Smash Apprentice
DDD need to learn how to approach as ROB's only option is his Camper Game. As CPU said, Dash > Shield is probably the best one, then something OoS with good range to punish ROB, like Ftilt, which is a great option. Since you're close to him, you can do ****.

ROB has no escape, he'll be chain grabbed, DDD will win in the air and, the worst thing, is when he takes the poor robot off-stage, where he usually does a good job in most of his match-ups, but on this one, it's completely differenty >.>

In close range, ROB needs to play intelligently, punishing DDD when he's desperate to get a CG. ROB will have some trouble for killing, as DDD is heavy and he can't go off-stage against him... Again, here DDD has the advantage... ROB is a big target(DDD's also an one, but he too heavy to suffer with KOs) and the penguin's Utilt is amazing.

For stages, if ROB has problems with CG, Smashville is the best optin as the sage is shorter than usual and the CG will be rediced, but IMO the best neutral is FD... a big stage that allows our camper game <3 For CPs, Brinstar, but ROB will certainly have many Bairs. Brinstar is also a nice option as DDD will have some problems for the CG, when the stage is divided, ROB ca camp well and he will find less problem for KOs.

For DDD, Delfino, Castle Siege for obvious reasons.

65:35 for D3 if he plays well... =[
Holy takes me to FD for the reasons you shared, but HugS actually takes me to battlefield.
It's the only stage where ROB can use his broken Bair to try to keep dedede off of the stage, but it can play just as bad in the opposite direction too.

TheMike

Smash Lord
Holy takes me to FD for the reasons you shared, but HugS actually takes me to battlefield.
It's the only stage where ROB can use his broken Bair to try to keep dedede off of the stage, but it can play just as bad in the opposite direction too.
The reason I don't like BF is because DDD can get some Utits for KOs easily. Besides, IMO the plattforms give more advantage for DDD's Air Game than ROB's.

Jupz said:
Why can he use it well on BF and not other stages? :)
Because of the plattforms. Bair has too much mometum away from DDD. If Dedede is above the plattforms, ROB can Bair his shield and then another Bair so as to get far away while spacing. If we Bair his shield for Shield Poke and DDD drops from the plattform, we can Bair again hitting him.

- Edit: lol too much misspellings at my first post on this thread. Corrected :]

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
Well...I say that because it connects with you saying that I write too much for a small point. But I think I write a lot for multiple points, which is why I said I know more than you.
Whoa whoa, when I say good, I mean all around. I mean we are here because we play the game at a competitive level right? Therefore I will recognize his in game achievments as well, not only his write ups. Your write ups are legit though, not trying to downplay them.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Whoa whoa, when I say good, I mean all around. I mean we are here because we play the game at a competitive level right? Therefore I will recognize his in game achievments as well, not only his write ups. Your write ups are legit though, not trying to downplay them.
Yes we're here to play it competitively...Okay, you weren't specific in the "good" thing, understood. Sorry if I offended you or anyone!

TlocCPU

Smash Apprentice
Not exacly. ROB can win on good stages, like Norfair =]

But on stages like Delfino/Castle Siege... yeah, time to **** ROB :(
It's probably about even on norfair. IDK though because everyone assumes dedede wins because of the chaingrab when the chaingrab has very little to do with why I win this matchup.

Top Bottom