• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ATTN: EVERYONE going to *Pound* 4. (SUPER SERIOUS POST)

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
So naturally, like any reasonable Smasher, I am attending *Pound* 4. I've been very lax about keeping updated with the thread, but I just checked it and saw that there are 127 pages (note that I'm set to 40 posts per page, for all you 10/page users that'd be 508 pages). The thread title lists interest from Canada, Puerto Rico, the UK, Sweden, Colombia...you name a country with a Smash community, it's there.

I'm not sure if you've grasped the concept yet, but in case you haven't, that is a HELL OF A LOT OF HYPE. People are coming from all over the world to come play Smash for three days in this gorgeous venue Plank has acquired for us. I went to scope out the prereg page for prices and such to look at how much I'd have to acquire to pay for the tournament. I saw there was a "Players" section on the website, and looked at it to see how many hundreds of people had signed up.

Now, to anyone who decided to skip ahead and do this, you surely will be sharing my dismay. You want to know how many people were signed up? A mere 70 for Melee, and a PATHETIC 26 for Brawl! That's just sad, guys.

Most of you are probably saying, "But Doom! The tournament is in three months, why worry about preregistering now?! Of course everyone's gonna come!" Well, you're wrong for two reasons.

Reason #1

Plank is increasing the cost of preregistration by $2.50 every month that you wait to sign up, starting with August. Even though that's not that much money, I know most Smashers are cheap (like myself) and want to avoid spending any more than they should. This means that the registration has already gone up $7.50. By procrastinating, you kids have cost yourselves:

• 7 McChickens/Whopper Jrs.
  • 2 packs of Yu-Gi-Oh/Magic/whatever-card-game-you-******s-play-nowadays cards
  • 1 and a half delicious Subway footlongs
  • A copy of a small paperback piece of fine Shakespearean literature, Hamlet for instance
  • A short session with a prostitute

Look at all the things I can think of to buy with $7.50. Instead, by waiting, what have you bought yourselves? Absolutely nothing! If you want to wait until January, you're flat out wasted an entire $15...and don't even get me STARTED on what you can do with $15.

Reason #2

The second reason that you're wrong is because no matter how much hype a thread title produces, no matter how many posts that thread has from players from all over the world, money speaks louder than words. If you see hundreds of pages of posts, you'll certainly want to come to this tournament. However, if, like me, you looked at the list of registrants and saw a puny 70 or 26 (depending on the game you are interested in), you would be much less inclined to go, right? If the tournament isn't living up to its hype in concrete evidence (people who already paid to go rather than just expressing interest), it's not as appealing.

Even if you don't think the same way (I actually don't, but it doesn't make the point any less valid), there are people out there who do. Your registration can mean the difference between an entire region of Smashers coming out to this tournament. Will SoCal want to come if they look at the registered list? No. They'll say "Oh wow, this tournament is way overhyped, I don't wanna go and only see 26 people there." By them doing that, that's another solid chunk of missing registrants on the list, which would in turn influence the opinions of another region.

*Pound* 4 aims to be the largest tournament in history (or at least, at its time). Don't become responsible for it not achieving its goal.

Footnote

No money johns. If you're too broke to preregister NOW, you have an excuse...temporarily. The cost of this tournament is $52.50 for singles and teams in one game, and $42.50 for just singles. Let's say (worst case scenario) you can't find free/cheap housing around the area, and you're rooming with only four other Smashers at the Marriott because you have no friends. $89 a night for two nights (Saturday and Sunday) between four people is $45 per person. If you eat cost-efficiently, you can feed yourself for three days with $30 (this is expensive for me, though). You drove there, so you're paying your driver $15 for gas. (Flying is a different story, but I'm assuming everyone who plans to get here by air is quite comfortable financially)

Total cost for the weekend, assuming singles + teams + hotel + food + gas: $142.50.

Scary number, huh? No, it isn't. This tournament is in 96 days as of today, October 12. To raise $142.50 in 96 days, you need to save a whopping total of $1.50 per day. This is a joke for people with jobs, but in case you're too young/lazy/busy/whatever to be employed, it can still be done very easily.

Simple solutions:

For the student

Ask six different kids to borrow a quarter in school at lunch every day.

Opt for a small fries at lunch rather than large, fatty. Or better yet, lay off the fries entirely.

Sell your sandwich to the fat kid at the table across from you if you bring your own food.

For those living at home

Do some chores or some ****. Take the garbage out, mow the lawn, rake the leaves, vacuum the living room, dust the refrigerator, **** if I know. Make yourself useful and ask your parents for a $10/week allowance or something.

For those not in school or living with their parents

Sell yourself on the street. (A++ recommended!)

Look for handiwork around the neighborhood. Do some outdoor work for the old lady down the road. Hell, set up a lemonade stand.

Trade in games/game-related items to GameStop. This doesn't pay over time, but it's likely that most of the people here can amass $150 with their merchandise.

Footnote v2.0

No johns about the lack of a credit card or anything. Ask your parents or a friend, or a friend's parents. In case nobody likes you, Visa gift cards are readily available at multiple stores, and making a PayPal account is easy as cake.

THERE IS NO REASON ANYONE SHOULD NOT MAKE IT TO THIS TOURNAMENT.

tl;dr:

PREREGISTER FOR *POUND* 4 NOW OR I WILL EAT YOUR CHILDREN.

-Doom

Max Ketchum

And you know what, I'll be nice enough to even spoonfeed you the link to the preregistration site. ;)

http://pound4registration.weebly.com/index.html

If you are a supporter of this thread, please put a link to it in your signature, or broadcast its existence as much as possible.

The tournament discussions board is quite inactive, but I felt this was the place it'd be most suited in terms of relevance/on-topicality.

L__

Smash Master
Amazing post.

-goes around to 6 different kids and asks for a quarter so I can pay for Pound 4-

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Awesome job. You should sig the thread or at least that last line. XD

kingz-night-mare

Smash Lord
My reason is i have parents sorry and LOL at a short session with a prostitue. the best kinda of prostitue you will get with 7.50 is inui with a bra on. YOU WONT EVEN GET TO SEE HIS BOOBS

Max Ketchum

I encourage that people put the link to this post in their sig so it catches the most eyes possible. The tournament discussion board is VERY desolate, but I didn't want to go through the trouble of having the thread locked/moved for posting it on any other board.

Clowsui, I'm not sure I have an answer for you. Perhaps you can assassinate them.

Zucco

Smash Master
Starting to not care as much about Pound 4 for some reason.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Well that's a shame for you PK for what I have in store for this tourney.... >.<

lol doom good **** @ this, pound 3 only had like 30 registrants before the final month and ended up with 250 -.-

Max Ketchum

Plank, what's the cost of the entire tourney going to be if you pay at the door?

Edit: Or is prereg 100% mandatory?

Zucco

Smash Master
Well that's a shame for you PK for what I have in store for this tourney.... >.<

lol doom good **** @ this, pound 3 only had like 30 registrants before the final month and ended up with 250 -.-
I mean I would like to go, I'm just not hyped for it like I was when I first heard of it.

Max Ketchum

Ah, I see. I'm not sure which would encourage people to preregister more, mandatory registration or a ridiculous door fee.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
registering at the door at all would ruin my whole reasons for preregistration

Max Ketchum

That's true. It'd still be good to encourage people to pay online (lol at like a $75 door fee or something), but it's more reasonable to do it the way you have it set up.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
lol itd just be so gay

all 64 pools are made, good luck contestantss

oh and remember that pool i posted online you were in where top 3 make it out? we had to go ahead and add m2k to that pool cuz he registered at the door.

ROFL. i dont think that would bide well

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
And it was one fantastic tourny :D even if I didn't enter -_- I had extreme money johns. But that's why this year will be awesome, cause I can. :D

I just remember that there was tons of set ups and APPLEBEES (I think thats where we went). So much fun XD

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
doom after such a long time, your usefull besides my late night fiending for you.

really like how u broke up the math. and tips on how to aquire said money.

but is 143 bucks to spend on brawl in 3 days worth it? i might just do it to play colombian smashers but.. eh idk

Max Ketchum

$143/3 = ~$48/day

Typical NJ/NY tournament: $10 singles, $10 doubles, $5-10 venue fee, $5-10 food, $5-10 gas

$35-50, depending on how costly your eating habits are (and if we're assuming $30 for 3 days, it's safe to assume $10 for one) and how far you live from the venue/how greedy your driver is, lol.

I'd say this is entirely reasonable.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
Way to put it into perspective Doom, this was an a real eye opener.. I want to go so bad. If I could get a ride to it from NJ, I would pay more than 15 to the least =D not too many people know me though, oh well I'll still try no johns.

Banks

Smash Hero
Doom r u the guy from maine? if so good **** at being a Maine-****-poster.

i'm going for melee definitely, but this thread convinced me to register earlier if anything =p savin that 2.50 fosho

Max Ketchum

Yes, I'm the formerly-from-New Jersey-recently-moved-in-with-Darc-and-Dazwa guy, lol.

I played like two Melee friendlies with either you or your brother at SNES. You were both drunk as ****, but I definitely met you two.

Top Bottom