• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Perfect Ledge Knee

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Disclaimer :
I know this isn't new, I know most of you have already done this in a fight.
The only purpose of this thread is to explain the utility of the PLK and how to use it.

That being said,

:falcon: LE PERFECT LEDGE KNEE :falcon:
Summary :
1-What it is
2-Why "perfect"
3-How to do it
4-When not to use it
5-Video
6-Conclusion
7-Thanks

1-What it is :
A Perfect Ledge Knee (PLK) is an auto-cancelled ledge-hopped knee (Fair).
Yes, it's that simple.

2-Why "perfect" :
Ok perfect sounds a little abusive, let's say it's "Falcon perfect" (to dissociate it from "MK perfect" or "Snake perfect").
Here are the reasons :
  • It auto cancels, which means that it has NO LANDING LAG. It's even faster to recover than FHNair.
  • Flubbed knee is a sex kick (aka lingering hitbox). A really long lasting sex kick. In fact, the hitbox stays out until you land.
  • Since it has no landing lag it puts you in a neutral position, which means that you can follow up with literally everything.
  • It has some true combo set ups like PLK>jab or PLK>falcon dive (still need more testing to get the average %, but even if it doesn't combo it allows pretty solid move strings).
  • Flubbed knee can make the opponent trip at low/mid percent (chances seem like 1/4 or 1/3).
  • Sweetspots if the opponent is too close (obviously).
  • Hits slightly farther than a ledge hopped Nair and as far as a ledge hopped Uair, but since the hitbox appears sooner you're knid of protected from early punishing.

3-How to do it :
Simply, when edgehogging
Hit the control stick backwards
then quickly
Hit almost simultaneously Forward on the control stick + jump + A

The timing is similar to one of a dash dance, it's strict but not hard to pull off.
If done right falcon doesn't do any landing animation and just stand with a little forward momentum.

Like this (jab optional).

Not like this.

4-When NOT to use it :
So YESZ, PLK is a good move. But it's still a move performed by Falcon, therefore it's flawed (the only exception being Dtaunt).
Don't use the PLK if :
  • You used falcon dive or raptor boost to edgehog. These moves set you a special landing flag that would turn the auto cancelled immediate **** to Falcon standing still for half a second. More details >IN ANKOKU'S POST<
    So if you really need to use an ledge hopped aerial after recovering with up or side B, use Nair or Uair.
  • The opponent is going to use a disjointed attack.
  • You've used it too much and the opponent can read it (obviously).
  • You want to keep the opponent close to you and he's over 100% (not accurate limit). Because it doesn't have a fixed knockback like FHNair you can't combo it into Jab past 100% (not accurate limit).

5-Video :
Can't record a video, sorry :/
If someone can record a video I'd send him (or make the video himself) then please contact me.

6-TL;DR :
Perfect Ledge Knee won't make Falcon top tier but it's something that you can add to your gameplay to make it safer.

7-Thanks :
I'd personnally like to thank the following people :

- :falcon:, for having such manly knees,
-Me, for desperately trying to show my moves with Falcon,
-You, if you feel like contributing to this thread.

End.

Red-Blue

Was selected randomly
Dude, really. I had a long post all typed down, but all I can say is: "No."

Sorry. Nice thread, good effort and bad advice. Use this, and get punished.

At the ledge.

As Falcon.

:mad088:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Sorry. Nice thread, good effort and bad advice. Use this, and get punished.

At the ledge.

As Falcon.

:mad088:
Yeah :(
But well, I fail to see the options falcon has to get back on stage and not get punished.
Can you please advise me with all your wisdom ?

@Gf2tw : Yup, it's so old and already known that no topic talks about it.
Sorry that you deleted your topic, not doing so would have spared me the time I spent typing this.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Yes, I can do it consistently, like 7 or 8 times out of 10 after spending about an hour on it (but that's mainly because I'm too slow to learn).
I used in some games today (against a human player ofc) and it turned out to be a really good bait, as the guy I was playing expected some landing lag.
Need more testing against more people though.

@Red-blue : you're not forced to use it offensively. It's only a tool, so you can do what you want with it.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Yes, I can do it consistently, like 7 or 8 times out of 10 after spending about an hour on it (but that's mainly because I'm too slow to learn).
I used in some games today (against a human player ofc) and it turned out to be a really good bait, as the guy I was playing expected some landing lag.
Need more testing against more people though.
I see.

I am man enough to admit that I cannot do the 'perfect ledge knee' consistently.
But I guess when one can do this 10 times out of 10 tries, then it is another (though not new, as you, yourself, said too.) trick up falcons sleeve.

Top Bottom