• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A question for all the Georgia People

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
So, I am thinking of having a tourney on 14th prior to the Billfest.

This would be a Melee only event. If there was enough interest, Brawl could be added as well.

The cost: $10 for singles, another $10 for doubles. Set up fees would be waived for the first seven people to bring full-setups though. For the record, I have a full set up of my own that I would use.

It would start around 2pm and finish when all the matches get done.

Location: Most likely the Center Street Activity Room (939 Hemphill Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30318).

Who all would be interested? Just reply below, and if there is enough response, I will book the room and post a thread for the tourney.

Thanks. :)

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
OH JUST KIDDING I NOTICED YOU WROTE THAT YOU HAVE AN INTENT TO BOOK THE ROOM

where is the $10 going, a set up fee = prize money or rental fee
---
herro

idk if you have already figure this all out but bcos having a bunch of people in one room having a good time is a liability to gt, tournament is officially looked down upon unless you roll the paperwork and rent out a place to play

the easiest place to get one running is in a place that GT has waived their responsibility towards, such as the greek housez etc. second easiest would be a place that's not as visible, which i am not sure includes the center street commons. i used to hold small smashfests (15-20 peepz) in smaller common rooms off the ground floor or without huge glass windows
plus the RA was super cool some of the times, but i was made to understand that she was supposed to not be cool with my smashfest plans

plus when you charge $$, it can be misconstrued as gambling or something terrible like that, and people are forced to disband you if they are rule-followers

personally i am OK with being disbanded and sent home since i might have on campus housing, but for others that come a long way to play in a $$ tournament, to get their money back and sent home kinda sux

ofc if you have thought all this out disregard completely

here is an old topic may have relevant information to setting up tournament at gt:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=198332

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
p.s. if this is economical i would be ok with running this regularly for peepz if you don't wanna

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Sheet that I already know
You think I didn't account for this when decided to plan it?

Notwithstanding the fact I used to be in RHA, personally know the Hall Director for West Campus, and actually talk to my CA, I think I'm good. Kthx. ;)

Btw, the $10 should be going towards the pot, but if a fee is incurred for booking the room (which happens about never), then I will pay off those with the fees as well.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
i'd be interested if you went to more tourneys and less football games

OH BURN
no but interested. tech bros always brings out the nubs

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
i'd be interested if you went to more tourneys and less football games

OH BURN
Hey, there are only two more home games, and one is on Thanksgiving weekend, which essentially only leaves one. :p

I think the response is good enough though, so I will be making the thread for the tourney in a day or two. Thanks everybody.

i may drop by since it is on my campus
You better! :evil:

:p

GOD!

Smash Ace
you realize that there are a lot of brawl players at tech that don't get on smashboards right?
I don't even go there and I know this cause whenever I visit there are at least two rooms full of people playing brawl with the door open. On one hallway.

If you put up signs around the residence halls announcing this, you could potentially gain a lot of players interest in competitive brawl.

Georgia Tech is kind of a gold mine for smash bros players, and you guys could really grow the smash community by just showing these brawl noobs a website and some techs.

SleepyK

you realize that there are a lot of brawl players at tech that don't get on smashboards right?
I don't even go there and I know this cause whenever I visit there are at least two rooms full of people playing brawl with the door open. On one hallway.

If you put up signs around the residence halls announcing this, you could potentially gain a lot of players interest in competitive brawl.

Georgia Tech is kind of a gold mine for smash bros players, and you guys could really grow the smash community by just showing these brawl noobs a website and some techs.

ya wat i said

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL

Except when you try to get them into the competitive scene, they'll scoff and call you tourney , and then explain how perfectly happy they are with being terrible.

-Ran

Smash Master
It all depends really XIF. In every casual group there's one guy that is clearly the dominate player. Sometimes they can be very receptive to becoming a competitive gamer if you aren't a **** about it. More so, they typically take the number two player in their group with him, since they normally have a small rivalry. The second player doesn't like seeing the gap between the two in friendlies get too wide.

SleepyK

you'd be surprised. GA Tech people are not normal people.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master

Way to mention some that I already knew. Please don't forget the fact that I have been @ Tech and seen some form of Smash there for how long? Since 2005. Kthx. :p

In all honesty, I will open the tourney up to Brawl if they bring their setups. But Brawl only people bringing setups happens as often as the Detroit Lions winning.

Oh, and this...

Except when you try to get them into the competitive scene, they'll scoff and call you tourney f@gs, and then explain how perfectly happy they are with being terrible.
20 times this.

I started to pick up Melee again around the same time I joined the site. I had a lot of resources to train up: A 42'' Plasma HDTV, a Wii hookup with Component Setup, my HD PVR, and five roommates who actually played Smash. There was one catch though: All five accused me of being a "tourney f@ggot" when I wanted to improve on my level of play using SBR rules. Most people (including our own Entertainment Software Producers, who make a tourney for Smash once a year), fall into this category. It's kind of sad that I could enter one of their tourneys (as I did in March) and get 5th. And this was on the last day I played Brawl competitively. :urg:

you'd be surprised. GA Tech people are not normal people.
No we are not. :laugh:

On point: I will make the thread in an hour or two (or three). :chuckle:

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
I started to pick up Melee again around the same time I joined the site. I had a lot of resources to train up: A 42'' Plasma HDTV, a Wii hookup with Component Setup, my HD PVR, and five roommates who actually played Smash. There was one catch though: All five accused me of being a "tourney f@ggot" when I wanted to improve on my level of play using SBR rules. Most people (including our own Entertainment Software Producers, who make a tourney for Smash once a year), fall into this category. It's kind of sad that I could enter one of their tourneys (as I did in March) and get 5th. And this was on the last day I played Brawl competitively. :urg:
:
HAHAHAH ESP

hey if you've been playing smashing bros @ gt since 2005 how come i don't know you

me and my bros have been rolling top 2's at all GT tournaments since 2006, and hosted smash fests throughout fall2006 - spr 2008

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
as tong is in asia currently, i am claiming and willing to defend:

#2 at smash 64 (mura is #1)
#2 at smash melee (xif is #1)
#1 at brawl

bring it georgia tech - if you just happen to be a ga tech student + smashboards lurker - go to LAN party this weekend - lose to my random and to me + my girlfriend in teams!!

ALSO: ESP is lol-tastic - chaingrabs banned (after 3 reps...), and person running it said:
Girl: "Metaknight's not the best anymore imo...."
Tong: "Ok so who's the best character"
Girl: "I think Jigglypuff has a lot of tricks up her sleeve..."

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
It's kind of sad that I could enter one of their tourneys (as I did in March) and get 5th. And this was on the last day I played Brawl competitively. :urg:
p.s. this would be more impressive if it were your first day playing blawr competitively

GOD!

Smash Ace
Way to mention some sheet that I already knew. Please don't forget the fact that I have been @ Tech and seen some form of Smash there for how long? Since 2005. Kthx. :p
If you already new the "sheet," then you would have a brawl open tournament.

So apparently.. you didn't know this, Tech Master.
Btw, MM next time we meet. $5-20, preferably 20.

Except when you try to get them into the competitive scene, they'll scoff and call you tourney f@gs, and then explain how perfectly happy they are with being terrible.
That's because most tourney people have a chip on their shoulder because they think they're better than everyone else at the game. When I started coming to Waba everyone I talked to was just kind of arrogant because even though I knew techs, I was bad at them and couldn't incorporate them.

If you don't say, "HEy guyz I go 2 tourneez and check mah skillz," they won't call you a tourney ***. Why not just play with them for a while, and after you beat them 10 times in a row, they'll ask you about some thing that you did which they thought was a glitch. Then you show them how to do it (without being arrogant).

SleepyK

That's because most tourney people have a chip on their shoulder because they think they're better than everyone else at the game. When I started coming to Waba everyone I talked to was just kind of arrogant because even though I knew techs, I was bad at them and couldn't incorporate them.

If you don't say, "HEy guyz I go 2 tourneez and check mah skillz," they won't call you a tourney ***. Why not just play with them for a while, and after you beat them 10 times in a row, they'll ask you about some thing that you did which they thought was a glitch. Then you show them how to do it (without being arrogant).
once again tech guys aren't normal guys, and the vast majority of smashers aren't arrogant.
trust us, noobs will just john their mouths off and then accuse you of being a glitcher or tourney *** if you ask them to explain what they mean calmly.

ex)
guy @ tech rec says he's a beast at melee
xif goes and schools him with falcon on a laggy tv
guy says "well you're playing a kill character"
which makes no sense so we ask him what it means
then he just johned the night away.

ex2) guy @ SPSU says anybody can win in melee if they WD which is why he doesn't play it.
we ask him to expound, explain that that's not exactly how it works...
tourney***

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
HAHAHAH ESP

hey if you've been playing smashing bros @ gt since 2005 how come i don't know you

me and my bros have been rolling top 2's at all GT tournaments since 2006, and hosted smash fests throughout fall2006 - spr 2008
Maybe your a little slow, but I'll explain my Smash history once more to you.
Since I got here in 2005, I have dabbled in playing some Smash for a while. This ended around in 2007, until June of 2008, where I picked up Brawl for nine months, then dropped it. Two months of inactivity with Smash, then picked it up again around June which leads to today.

And by the way, I remember you from the tourney in March. I incurred my second loss due to your Kirby iirc, then I got fifth from there. I also remember your loud mouthed buddy that wouldn't stfu. After beating him in a friendly and telling him gtfo, I couldn't help but to smile.

as tong is in asia currently, i am claiming and willing to defend:

#2 at smash 64 (mura is #1)
#2 at smash melee (xif is #1)
#1 at brawl

bring it georgia tech - if you just happen to be a ga tech student + smashboards lurker - go to LAN party this weekend - lose to my random and to me + my girlfriend in teams!!

ALSO: ESP is lol-tastic - chaingrabs banned (after 3 reps...), and person running it said:
Girl: "Metaknight's not the best anymore imo...."
Tong: "Ok so who's the best character"
Girl: "I think Jigglypuff has a lot of tricks up her sleeve..."
Yeah, ESP makes you facepalm a lot. :bee:

Bears, I have no doubt of your ability and/or skill. I don't try to brag about skill (or lack thereof). I still know I have a lot to learn, and perhaps this tourney I host will teach me more.

Oh, and gtfo with me being a lurker. Ever seen my Tipped Off 5 videos, plus the other 2 WABAs that I both played in (& recorded)? Oh, and there's the time when Junglefever & TecZero paid me visit and we had a mini-smashfest. Kthx. ;)

Also, I should be able to show up on Saturday, so hopefully I will see you there.

p.s. this would be more impressive if it were your last day playing blawr competitively
It was!

Yes, I did.
And if people care about Smash, they should be on this site. If they're not, then S.O.L. for them. However, if people bring Brawl setups, then there will be Brawl.

Btw, I will take up your offer on MM when I am good and ready too. And for the record, it will be an amount greater than $20. ;) Kthx.

You must know some other kind of people that play Brawl @ Tech, because the ones I play just quit after a while. And no, I don't rub their face about it. I'm not so much a fan of trash talking.

And way to stereotype every person who plays as a tourney as a f@g--quit life! :p

Currently working on the thread, it will be up soon.

once again tech guys aren't normal guys, and the vast majority of smashers aren't arrogant.
trust us, noobs will just john their mouths off and then accuse you of being a glitcher or tourney *** if you ask them to explain what they mean calmly.
20x times this. :)

by tech master do you mean bearzRscary ;) ;)
He did, and he apologizes for the misunderstanding. ;)

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
Maybe your a little slow, but I'll explain my Smash history once more to you.
Since I got here in 2005, I have dabbled in playing some Smash for a while. This ended around in 2007, until June of 2008, where I picked up Brawl for nine months, then dropped it. Two months of inactivity with Smash, then picked it up again around June which leads to today.

And by the way, I remember you from the tourney in March. I incurred my second loss due to your Kirby iirc, then I got fifth from there. I also remember your loud mouthed buddy that wouldn't stfu. After beating him in a friendly and telling him gtfo, I couldn't help but to smile.
maybe you're a little slow, but there is an OVERLAP in our smash histories @ gt where i did not see you, and that is the particular period of time i am asking about

we also cannot help smiling when looking back on that particular friendly, good times for all

oh p.s. i meant first time playing blawr not last. i edited my post abt 25 minutes ago

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
maybe you're a little slow, but there is an OVERLAP in our smash histories @ gt where i did not see you, and that is the particular period of time i am asking about

we also cannot help smiling when looking back on that particular friendly, good times for all

oh p.s. i meant first time playing blawr not last. i edited my post abt 25 minutes ago
Apologies then. :)

When I went to a tourney way back when, I was (and still am) a pretty reserved Smasher. I don't make a lot of noise, so that's why you didn't notice me.

GOD!

Smash Ace

ex)
guy @ tech rec says he's a beast at melee
xif goes and schools him with falcon on a laggy tv
guy says "well you're playing a kill character"
which makes no sense so we ask him what it means
then he just johned the night away.

ex2) guy @ SPSU says anybody can win in melee if they WD which is why he doesn't play it.
we ask him to expound, explain that that's not exactly how it works...
tourney***
I visited tech day before the semester started and played with three guys on 4th floor of one of the residence halls. I showed them how to do a glide toss and brawl and they learned how to do it pretty quick and didn't complain at all.

I met a bunch of people who play Brawl at Berry (my college) and I showed them SWF and all the ATs in brawl (haha) and they were really interested in them. Of course they beat me in brawl.. but then I destroyed about 5 people in melee and showed them l-canceling and wavedashing too.

Either I just meet different people then everyone else or I present competitive smash in a different way.

And if they do join SWF, maybe the GA people could be inviting instead of hostile. Seriously, the Waba social thread has literally turned into the "GA insult thread." Why does everyone in GA smash have to attack everybody else all the time (namely kazoo and yiff)? I understand some personal stuff, but why can't you just get over it?

by tech master do you mean bearzRscary ;) ;)
lol sure

Yes, I did.
And if people care about Smash, they should be on this site. If they're not, then S.O.L. for them. However, if people bring Brawl setups, then there will be Brawl.

Btw, I will take up your offer on MM when I am good and ready too. And for the record, it will be an amount greater than $20. ;) Kthx.

You must know some other kind of people that play Brawl @ Tech, because the ones I play just quit after a while. And no, I don't rub their face about it. I'm not so much a fan of trash talking.

And way to stereotype every person who plays as a tourney as a f@g--quit life! :p
Do you even know what stereotype means? Or can you just not read?

Please stop saying both "quit life" and "kthx :)". You aren't dj nintendo and you aren't a teenage girl.

nope, $20 is good. Stop johning and just do it already then. Next time we're at Waba, if you don't want to for financial reasons then just say so, that's fine, but don't call me out and then take a few more months to practice..

You don't have to be on SWF to care about smash... thats like the dumbest thing I've heard this year.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Either I just meet different people then everyone else or I present competitive smash in a different way.
Likely the former.

And if they do join SWF, maybe the GA people could be inviting instead of hostile. Seriously, the Waba social thread has literally turned into the "GA insult thread." Why does everyone in GA smash have to attack everybody else all the time (namely kazoo and yiff)? I understand some personal stuff, but why can't you just get over it?
Yes, while the attacks aren't too pleasant @ times, they are in good nature (@ least for me). I know that I have not got on anyone's bad side, and that I do treat most people I have met @ WABA with the utmost respect. So, any shots @ me are really just jokes, so I just brush it off.
Wish I could say the same about Yiff
:laugh:

lol sure

Do you even know what stereotype means? Or can you just not read?

Please stop saying both "quit life" and "kthx :)". You aren't dj nintendo and you aren't a teenage girl.

nope, $20 is good. Stop johning and just do it already then. Next time we're at Waba, if you don't want to for financial reasons then just say so, that's fine, but don't call me out and then take a few more months to practice..
Just because one person coins a term doesn't they are the only person allowed to use it. ;)

No, haven't touched Melee since TO5. In addition, what I said to your first money match challenge was that "I will remember your words for a later date." That date is not now, unfortunately. By the way, it has nothing to do with the money either. Shoot, there I several people that I want to MM because I am just not too fond of them in general, but I don't because
  1. I don't (or don't want to) MM under $50.
  2. It would be grossly inappropriate for me, still learning Smash, to actually play someone who has learned far more than I.
So, when I acquire my Wii this week, I will be sure to start playing again, then a time and date can be set for a money match. Until then, you will have to continue to wait. I have wanted to MM you for a while now, but at the same time, I am not an idiot.

Oh, and since my tourney is intended as a Warm-up for Billfest/weekly since WABA won't have one on that week, increasing my scope to those not on the boards would be inappropriate.

You don't have to be on SWF to care about smash... thats like the dumbest thing I've heard this year.
As if I didn't know that...Oh, and read the last part above *facepalms*

GOD!

Smash Ace
is that a yes on the money match
With whom?
I'm confused. I called kazoo tech master cause he claimed he knew all about the tech smash scene.

Likely the former.

Yes, while the attacks aren't too pleasant @ times, they are in good nature (@ least for me). I know that I have not got on anyone's bad side, and that I do treat most people I have met @ WABA with the utmost respect. So, any shots @ me are really just jokes, so I just brush it off.
Wish I could say the same about Yiff
:laugh:

Oh, and since my tourney is intended as a Warm-up for Billfest/weekly since WABA won't have one on that week, increasing my scope to those not on the boards would be inappropriate.

As if I didn't know that...Oh, and read the last part above *facepalms*
MMs are don't have to be about winning money. As far as I know, they're about learning to play under pressure, and therefore getting better.
At least you admit that I'm better than you now.

I won't MM over $20 btw. a $50 MM is ridiculous, why would you want to put that much money at stake over a game? I mean I like melee, but I don't even want to take it that seriously.. I love tournaments and friendlies even more just cause I love the game. But putting $50 on a match? Dumb.

You can reinvent the meaning of words like stereotype.. good job.

I think I'm just a more chill guy than everyone else when presenting smash. Cause I make an effort to be chill about ATs. W/e.

And I know people have problems with you for a fact. Yiff is a nice guy, and he doesn't suck up and john his face off on SWF like you do.

This is stupid, you don't have to argue with everything I say, you know that right? Kthx :) :)

Top Bottom