• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong's Barrels of Matchups~ Character #13~ Pit

DFEAR

Smash Hero

Discuss HAYAYAYAYA. Input as MUCH info as needed + the following.

Both Characters Air Game Against Each Other:
Both Characters Ground Game Against Each Other:
Moves To Avoid and HOW to avoid them:
Diddy's Moves to Utilize In The Matchup:
Personal Strategies To Help With Matchup:
Overall Character Ratio:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
As far as ur format goes, lets see if I can help out.

Both Characters Air Game Against Each Other:

I would think Diddy has the better range, and Quicker aerials, making him to be better at this category. Just watch out for being above Pit, for an angled Pit U-air should knock you back out. For Pit, he can try to avoid your grand game a bit with a bit of air camping, but your aerials do have some good priority. I would think Pit's Air game is better than his Ground game with his multiple jumps, and such.

Both Characters Ground Game Against Each Other:

Diddy wins this with his annoying naners, and even with Pit's reflectors u can just trick the Pit into using it, and then go after him, or jump over him. Pit doesnt have as much range as Diddy, and the fear of the bananas make it harder for Pit to suppress him. Pit should try to stay in the air more to avoid naner locks more, however.

-Arrows: The arrows themselves are a prime weapon that can be used to gimp you. How to do it, well, some suggested to recover low, to be out of Pit's shooting range. Be careful of a possible B-air that can knock you out of Up-B, or just Pit's edgehogging.

-Pit's reflectors: Pit's reflectors that can mess up your naner game. For this, this really Pits your mindgames against the Pit's mindgames (puns indended on Pit). So mindgames and prediction are the key here. Mirror Shield is easier to get through, just dont throw the naner at the Pit, and try grabbing him.
There has to be another move to be avoiding a lot, but I can't think if em atm. Use the 2 that I listed above in the meantime.

Mastering the bananas are always a prime for Diddy. F-airs should be helpful when you get Pit off stage, and hopefully Pit is horizontal with u in the air to use the F-air. Although the Peanut gun isnt completely useful, you can use it for mindgames and possible gimping. Remember when charging the gun, u can cancel it with Shielding (On the ground only), and you could go off doing a fast glidetoss right there to improve your mindgames against Pit. Peanut gun can also try to knock Pit out of glide or ruin one of his jumps.

Pit himself is one of the most versatile characters in the game. With 1 amazing projectile, 2 reflectors, decent speed, pretty nice recovery, medium weight, superb Ledgecamping tactics and edgeguarding, Pit can be played in many ways with different playstyles. Because each Pit would probably have a different style or way of battle, you should try to learn about the individual Pit you are playing, see what his/her tactics are like and try to surppress them.
Always try to master the naners, for it will limit Pit more. Whatever mindgames you have will help, and keep the Pressure up on a Pit.
The hardest Pits to deal with in the matchup would probably be a Ledgecamping Pit, or a Pit that loves to stay close to the ledge, since it keeps you from doing naner locks. If you mess up, you may get knocked off the stage, and go towards getting gimped possibly. I am good at ledgecamping myself, and can probably help with that strategy if you need it.

Overall Character Ratio:

As much as I want this to be 50-50 even, I say it is 55:45 your advantage. Without the naners, this could be 50:50 even, or ALMOST 55:45 Pit, but since any good Diddy will be on with the naners, it is ur slight advantage.
Stage CPs can be quite dependable for the Pit.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Something tells me someone who I dislike may try to oppose me again (Not the Diddy players)

Conti

Smash Ace
As an Ex Pit i'd say that diddy has this one at a 55:45 like what he said above me (very good elaboration btw), pit lacks range and priority... but most of all speed...

Diddy is very quick, between the nanr game and diddys overall agility the pit will be playing defensively all game... a good pit may be able to reflect our nanarz and such but like said before mindgames would be key and tricking the pit into a mistimed reflection cud mean uber punishment...
alot of pit's attacks have some type of punishable lag and unfortunatly pit is going to have to have some sick skillz and like i said will have to play defensivly and focus on breaking our nanar game in order to really stand a change...
Pit even tho he has multiple jumps really dosnt have that many options in the air either... Diddy just has quicker attacks with more priority and less lag...
i dont feel like typing anymore but im just going to leave it to say that in my opinion its a 55:45 Diddy

jc_off_the_heezay

Smash Apprentice
Air Game:
Diddy does have the advantage as in range, and quicker aerials,

therefore he dominats here. Don't be over Pit U-air can be something

hard to avoid since Diddy can't do much but DI out the way which will

suck if predicted. Pit has mulitple jumps and can avoid Diddy's ground

game simply air camping but Diddy aerials can help out come that, also

use pop gun and bananas in the air to bait that air dodge.

Ground Game:
Diddy no doubt wins this bananas. Yeah Pit has two reflectors but Diddy

is smarter then that. Throw a banana down MAYBE up to bait and then

go for whatever follow-up. Short hop then throw banana down or Z-drop

to fair depending wether they side-B or down-B, that works best with

down-B of course. As for side-B throw banana up and wait till side-b is

over and attack from there. Pit has crappy range so Diddy can take

Advantage of that and bananas makes it harder for Pit. Pit will try to

stay in the air more to avoid banana combos and stuff.

Arrows: They rack up damage so keep in pressure range in this match

don't rely to much on the camping as you may against others. Worst

they can gimp Diddy easily. Recover low to avoid Pit's arrow range and

watch any edge guards.

Pit's reflectors: Spoke about this under ground game.

Pit's Range?: Don't let Pit get close enough to use any kill moves such as

smashes on you. Keep the pressure and your momentum up slow down if

needed can really mess you up. Don't let him get you high or far off stage it'll just be easier

for him to gimp you.

BANANAS BANANAS BANANAS! You can use them to combo and GIMP.

Know your Diddy combos and follow-ups.Diddy's pop gun isn't your best

move but can use for mindgames, follow-ups, and maybe gimping. The pop

gun can also maybe be used to knock Pit out of his glide and mess up one

of his jumps to leave that opening you need.

Watch for the campy Pits don't, allow them to camp. Know your banana

combos, mind games will help, keep the Pressure up on Pit. A Ledge

camping Pit or a Pit by the ledge doesn't allow you to combo to much and

can get you off the edge easier for a early kill depending on percent or

simply by gimping.

Overall Character Ratio:
I say 55:45 Diddy? Maybe worse. I don't play many Pits or good ones at that

no offense to any I've played.

nezzedaoriginal

Smash Cadet
I played a n00b Pit at a recent local tournament I went too. So just some notes.

GT nana down-forward to DH. Pit will often times use his 'nice try' shield to reflect your nanas, and you can punish with the sideb. Just don't kick, it'll just block/reflect your attack.

Recover high. Arrows will/can gimp you quite easily. If you DI correctly and side-b high, you should be good.

Otherwise just do diddy stuff.

oh, and this matchup needs peanuts.

Edit: I also suppose you can reverse jump cancelled barrel if you predict an arrow, but that seems risky.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I keep seeing people suggesting recovering low, but that's really a terrible idea for any Diddy to do in any match-up. If we're forced into our barrels that low, a simple Z-Dropped Banana can completely screw us over, or any other move done off-stage (or simply hugging the ledge could be all you need). I'm hesitant to ever recommend any Diddy player do that, so just bear all this in mind if you have to.

Pit... I've never played a good one :laugh:

EDIT: Jokes aside, this match needs a lot more peanuts. They're amazing for gimping Pit out of his relatively short double jumps and his Up-B. If he's ledge camping, lob a few his way and try to knock him off the edge, and then either shoot moar peanuts or continue from there.

EDIT 2: I agree with the above notion to recover high. That seems like the most reasonable idea to avoid gimps in this match-up.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
I keep seeing people suggesting recovering low, but that's really a terrible idea for any Diddy to do in any match-up. If we're forced into our barrels that low, a simple Z-Dropped Banana can completely screw us over, or any other move done off-stage (or simply hugging the ledge could be all you need).
If you need to use your barrels, if you recover diagonally, Pit can arrow gimp you, so maybe not recover directly below the stage, give yourself some angle, but recover closer than usual.

jc_off_the_heezay

Smash Apprentice
If you need to use your barrels, if you recover diagonally, Pit can arrow gimp you, so maybe not recover directly below the stage, give yourself some angle, but recover closer than usual.
I guess that makes sense too because if you recover high and Pit has good am he's gonna just knock you off barrels as you charge it or whatever you plan and can still gimp you as long as your low enough his arrows can't go straight down you just must watch the edge hog because taht's the worst that they try to do to me which is almost always a fail (button lag can be a ***** but no Johns) because most pits are to GREEDY to go back and pick up the banana if you left it there most wants the gimp for their combo vids. XD

Coffee™

I need it....
Recovering high with Diddy vs Pit is fine as long as you don't have to use your up B.

win_ftw

Smash Cadet
the only thing pit has is the gimps to keep this from being more than 55:45 diddy.

theres some annoying campy stuff but what ingulit said about nuts is very true.

pass the syrup

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget about Diddy's spike. If the Pit is far off the stage and is forced to use up B, Spike them. They will be holding B for a good second which will prevent them from attacking you. Anticipate the Up B and go for the spike when it feels right.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
on top of all the great advice Admiral laid out, remember that Pit has a decent glidetoss with your banana and can use it to approach or GTFO. just note that Pit can use your bananas quite well and needs to be kept out of his hands
A good Diddy should always keep Bananas out of their foe's hands, regardless of character :laugh:

What can Pit do with a Banana, exactly? I know of the long Glide Toss, but that can only be so helpful without being predictable.

And recovering low is a bad idea, always. Just DI up and it's not a problem. </experience with recovering low>

Kaptain Kong

Smash Lord
To the SE of Port Town.. ..send - Seattle, WA
Don't forget about Diddy's spike. If the Pit is far off the stage and is forced to use up B, Spike them. They will be holding B for a good second which will prevent them from attacking you. Anticipate the Up B and go for the spike when it feels right.
or you could shoot them with a peanut

also i hear that pit combo with naners, arrows, and aerials pretty well

pass the syrup

Smash Journeyman
or you could shoot them with a peanut

also i hear that pit combo with naners, arrows, and aerials pretty well
Peanuts work well but I always get twice as many kills when I rely on his spike. And the multiple jump characters need to be smashed, not halted.

stealthgun

Smash Cadet
Hey idk if it anyone else knows this or if maybe it's been discovered by others just recently or what, but Pit can easily pick up naners during a wingdash which makes the ground matchup much easier than you guys seem to think for Pit. It's still in Diddy's favor but Pit isn't at so much of a disadvantage as was previously stated.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Hey idk if it anyone else knows this or if maybe it's been discovered by others just recently or what, but Pit can easily pick up naners during a wingdash which makes the ground matchup much easier than you guys seem to think for Pit. It's still in Diddy's favor but Pit isn't at so much of a disadvantage as was previously stated.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=241847

Scroll down to Pit's section. We've known about it for awhile, as have the other Pits. Wingdashing still isn't usually the best option to do this, though :\

Top Bottom