• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Art of Sound: A Music Competition(DEADLINE DECEMBER 20TH)

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
THE ART OF SOUND

It's a Music Contest! Brought to you by TigerWoods and Lythium.

Deadline: TBA

The Rules and Guidelines:

1) It's a music competition. Upload some sort of media that showcases your musical talent. Any song from any genre applies. Show us your Moonlight Sonata... Sing us the national anthem... Beat out a rhythm on the drums... anything!

1) We are here to have fun, so have fun with it! Even if you don't think you can win... enter anyway. We'll critique you!

2) Be creative. You can play us an original composition. Use your imagination!

3) You may post collaborations, but your entry must be a solo.

4) If you are doing a cover, please put down the original artist and album.

5) Don't you dare plagiarize and attempt to take someone else's work as your own. If you want to make a point that you added an original part to someone else's song, make a note of that and you'll be fine.

6) You may post as many videos as you like, however we will only judge one video. Your other videos will not negatively impact your score.

Judging and Rubric Information
Lythium, Kevin M, Crashic, and I will be judging. Each judge will score you on the rubric below, from a score of 1-10(one being the lowest and ten being flawless). The scores of the judges will be averaged. The highest final score is the winner.

Note:
The method for judging is the so called "Scurvy" method devolped by Scav and Virg: only the top three placers will be named (barring very close 4th places) and no numerical scores based on the rubric will ever be posted. This is to help the younger artists who don't necessarily need to know they were the judged the worst. There will be judge's comments with each piece that offer critiques on the piece.
Rubric:

1) Execution: How flawless was your work? Glaring errors? Minor errors?

2) Difficulty: How hard was the piece you attempted? How much work was put into learning/playing the piece?

3) Style: How expressive were you? How original were you? Did you add your own flare to the song? Did you write your own song?

PRIZE(don't get your hopes up ;))

The winners will get to do a collab song with the judges! Oh trust me, it'll be SWEET.

So... GET PLAYING!
Fell free to ask any questions!

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
I'll whip something up. I'm thinking either the FFVI boss battle theme (too bad Jam's not judging), or Butterflies and Hurricanes by Muse. On the piano, of course.

Is there a deadline or am I just blind?

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
I'll whip something up. I'm thinking either the FFVI boss battle theme (too bad Jam's not judging), or Butterflies and Hurricanes by Muse. On the piano, of course.

Is there a deadline or am I just blind?
None yet... we'll get on that soon.

Oh and I'm a pianist as well, though I feel like using the clarinet for the collab. :)

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
There's a possibility that I may enter some drum clips, since I was planning on recording myself anyway.

It's doubtful, but there's a chance.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Lythium is just all over the place doing all these competitions ;)

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
There's a possibility that I may enter some drum clips, since I was planning on recording myself anyway.

It's doubtful, but there's a chance.
Do itttt. I don't know about the other judges here, but making drums is by far my weakest point. As long as your recording is good, I can assure you a fully produced drum track for the song if you win. I produce with this baby (about 900 dollars) so you can expect some good quality sounds to come out of your recordings.
http://www.ableton.com/

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Do itttt. I don't know about the other judges here, but making drums is by far my weakest point. As long as your recording is good, I can assure you a fully produced drum track for the song if you win. I produce with this baby (about 900 dollars) so you can expect some good quality sounds to come out of your recordings.
http://www.ableton.com/
I don't have anything very good to record with. My options are basically laptop mic, digital camera, or cell phone (lol). If I really wanted to I could get a friend to come over with some half-decent recording equipment, but that probably won't happen. I could probably try and find away to use my mics to get decent quality.

Even so, I'm not sure what I would do. Like a solo, or play a drum part to a song. Not sure.

I do have some crappy recordings from a band of mine, though. Could I enter those?

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
I don't have anything very good to record with. My options are basically laptop mic, digital camera, or cell phone (lol). If I really wanted to I could get a friend to come over with some half-decent recording equipment, but that probably won't happen. I could probably try and find away to use my mics to get decent quality.

Even so, I'm not sure what I would do. Like a solo, or play a drum part to a song. Not sure.

I do have some crappy recordings from a band of mine, though. Could I enter those?
You can enter collabs/band recordings to help us get a view of what you're like... although your judged material has to be a solo.

You may also post both a solo and a drum part to a song... mark the one you are entering though.

The other videos you post other than your entry will be considered, but will not negatively impact your score.

Musically ********, sorry.
:(

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I enjoy good music though, so i am anxious to hear how everyones turns out

good luck everyone!

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
You can enter collabs/band recordings to help us get a view of what you're like... although your actually judged material will be a solo.

You may also post both a solo and a drum part to a song... mark the one you are entering though. I'll consider the other vid when judging you.
Would it be fair to play a drum part of a song, then go into a solo (something like that), or is it one or the other?

I'm fine with either, just want to know because there are a lot of songs I love playing the drum parts to. :p

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I'd love to join this, but I haven't really played my instruments enough, lol. There aren't any songs I know how to play, much less am good at, I can't write music much at all, and I lack the proper resources to record and upload a performance.

I plan on following this contest avidly, though. It seems like a great idea, and I'm sure some of us can dish out some pretty cool stuff. :bee:

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Just realized that I have a pretty old (3ish years ago) sound clip of me warming up on set. I wouldn't enter it since I don't feel like it's good (a lot of little mistakes), and my style has changes a lot since then, but I guess it's a good example of what kind of sound quality I'm capable of recording.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Just realized that I have a pretty old (3ish years ago) sound clip of me warming up on set. I wouldn't enter it since I don't feel like it's good (a lot of little mistakes), and my style has changes a lot since then, but I guess it's a good example of what kind of sound quality I'm capable of recording.
You don't need to worry about the quality of your sound too much. As long as we can hear everything distinctly. As a sample based composer, I work with old songs all the time, and know how to make songs sound in unison.

I might do this. Not sure if I can put through together a piece of music though.
The time still has not been set. You will have plenty of time.

WolfenMiatang

Smash Apprentice
Okay I will upload my single currently just working mostly on 2 so far and I will be uploading my first one which is a old-school thrash metal influence.

But I will upload tomorrow in a filesharing program if thats ok with this competition. I dont have a digital camera to record myself playing but only my Line 6 POD X3 which I can connect my guitar to my cpu, and EZdrummer to compose my own drum tracks.

I still need to finish up a few touches on the song. But keep in touch guys!

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Would it be fair to play a drum part of a song, then go into a solo (something like that), or is it one or the other?

I'm fine with either, just want to know because there are a lot of songs I love playing the drum parts to. :p
You can do that. Just note what was yours what wasn't etc. I'll edit the op regarding originality.

I'd love to join this, but I haven't really played my instruments enough, lol. There aren't any songs I know how to play, much less am good at, I can't write music much at all, and I lack the proper resources to record and upload a performance.

I plan on following this contest avidly, though. It seems like a great idea, and I'm sure some of us can dish out some pretty cool stuff. :bee:
Try anyway though buddy... :)

I might do this. Not sure if I can put through together a piece of music though.
What Crashic said... haha

Okay I will upload my single currently just working mostly on 2 so far and I will be uploading my first one which is a old-school thrash metal influence.

But I will upload tomorrow in a filesharing program if thats ok with this competition. I dont have a digital camera to record myself playing but only my Line 6 POD X3 which I can connect my guitar to my cpu, and EZdrummer to compose my own drum tracks.

I still need to finish up a few touches on the song. But keep in touch guys!
Filesharing programs killed my computer last time... so try to upload to a safe one please. Other than that, I await your entry. :)

WolfenMiatang

Smash Apprentice
Ok TigerWoods
I use to use SendSpace but I noticed people had problems, so Im using MediaFire again for the first time after 1 year =)
Decided uploaded today since I ran out of ideas of how to improve it =/

Here is my own composed song that Ive ever made.
Im so sorry guys about the many flaws in it with low sound quality, and drums came out of sync a little (My dumb EZdrummer :mad:)

I know its not good but its my first time. So I try my best to get the best tone for the song played on E Standard for a Old-school thrash metal tone :ohwell:

EDITED:
Sorry but im not really so happy with this song =/
So I decline it off my entry, Its consists of too many flaws.

So sorry guys, especially the competition, but I dont think I wouldnt want to post any of my composed songs on the net...yet =/

So I took off the download link

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
So I tried recording some stuff today using my best option (laptop mic), and I've decided that I won't enter unless I can get something with better quality. It makes everything sound terrible, and really does my drumming no justice at all. I don't mean to sound cocky, but it really makes everything sound terrible.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Ok TigerWoods
I use to use SendSpace but I noticed people had problems, so Im using MediaFire again for the first time after 1 year =)
Decided uploaded today since I ran out of ideas of how to improve it =/

Here is my own composed song that Ive ever made.
Im so sorry guys about the many flaws in it with low sound quality, and drums came out of sync a little (My dumb EZdrummer :mad:)

I know its not good but its my first time. So I try my best to get the best tone for the song played on E Standard for a Old-school thrash metal tone :ohwell:

EDITED:
Sorry but im not really so happy with this song =/
So I decline it off my entry, Its consists of too many flaws.

So sorry guys, especially the competition, but I dont think I wouldnt want to post any of my composed songs on the net...yet =/

So I took off the download link
If you don't have copyright on it and you're sending it on a public network I wouldn't either haha. You could always play a cover, or copyright it. The tournament date isn't here yet.

So I tried recording some stuff today using my best option (laptop mic), and I've decided that I won't enter unless I can get something with better quality. It makes everything sound terrible, and really does my drumming no justice at all. I don't mean to sound cocky, but it really makes everything sound terrible.
If it's illegible then yeah, but I do understand the quality of the average person's recording equipment is not amazing. If the beat can be heard in sub-par quality... that's ok.

Oh, try and grab a friend. One of them has bound to have a good video. :)

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
I think I'll do this.

Even if it's just acoustic guitar and vocals, just because I love feedback, and new people to play for.

Or I could always make something new on Garage Band (<3)

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
cool, i make music on game boys.

next time i record something i'll up it here.
Just hit your myspace. Really unique style... I look forward to seeing your creation.

I think I'll do this.

Even if it's just acoustic guitar and vocals, just because I love feedback, and new people to play for.

Or I could always make something new on Garage Band (<3)
Glad to have you join

Show me what you got :)

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
ohhh yeah? haha cool, just what the Dr ordered. I have so many tracks I could submit, now I have to choose, which is always the hardest.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XR2E58D7

i have an entire album for free. i make epic ambient rock that is inspired by my vagabond/ wanderer life style in 2008. i know megaupload has a tonne of spam but it was the only place i knew where to put it up for free. anyone can have this. just let me know if you plan on using it for anything cuz id like to see it :D .

but its super chill minimalistic ambience. i hope you guys like it.

oh and its zipped with a .rar file extension. i kinda ****ed that one up, but im gonna redo the whole album sometime and zipped that **** using .zip.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
OK so deadline is Dec 20th... how do I make submissions? And are we limited to only 1 submission?

Top Bottom