• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UCSD Winter Game Fest '10 - January 16th-17th 2010 - Melee & Brawl

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion

UCSD Winter Game Fest V - 2010

UCSD Winter Game Fest 2010

Winter Game Fest returns as SoCal's premier tournament MLK weekend. For those of you new around these blocks, WGF has a pretty solid history here in San Diego. WGF II - 102 entrants, WGF III - 177 entrants, WGF IV - 247 entrants. WGF V is going to carry both Brawl and Melee as well as the tournament usuals and then some: StarCraft, DotA, Guitar Hero III, StreetFighterIV, Madden '10, and Halo 3. As always these tournaments are free of charge to anyone who wants to enter.

WHO:
Some of the most talented players from around California, as well as a many eager amateurs hoping to prove themselves. Out of state competition is welcome as always.
WHAT:
The return of SoCal's most successful tournament franchise in San Diego's hands down best venue complete with: security, at least 20 TVs, wifi LiveStream, audience seating, and a 26 ft projector screen.
WHEN:
January 16-17th, 2010
WHERE:
University of California: San Diego
Price Center Main Ballrooms A&B
9500 Gilman Dr.
La Jolla, CA 92092

DIRECTIONS:
- From the North -
  • Take the 5 South
    [*]Exit on La Jolla Village Drive
    [*]Right on La Jolla Village Drive
    [*]Right on Via La Jolla
    [*]Straight into the Gilman Parking Structure
- From the South -
  • Take the 5 North
    [*]Exit on Gilman Drive
    [*]Left onto Gilman Drive
    [*]Pass Via La Jolla intersection
    [*]Left into the Gilman Parking Structure
SCHEDULE:
SATURDAY:
Scheduled times are subject to change depending on entrants.
  • 10:00 AM - Doors open: Set-ups/Registration
  • 12:00 PM - Doubles Pools
  • 3:30 PM - Singles Pools
  • 9:00 PM - Doors close
SUNDAY:
  • 10:00 AM - Doors open: Finish remaining pools
  • 11:30 AM - Doubles Bracket 48-team
  • 4:30 PM - Singles Bracket 64-man
  • 9:00 PM - Doors close
GENERAL TOURNAMENT RULE SET:
ALL EVENTS:
  • 8:00 minute time limit
  • Items OFF
  • Team Attack ON
  • Life stealing is allowed in doubles
  • BYOC - Bring Your Own Controller
  • Modified DSR: No player may choose the stage they last won on
  • Ties will be broken by lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie, one stock sudden death will be played
  • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
POOLS:
  • Round Robin matches
  • First stage is randomed
  • There will be pools, this means more play time
  • Top 3 teams in each pool will advance from doubles into a 48-team double elimination bracket
  • Every entrant will have a minimum of 5 sets, depending on pool sizes
  • Top 4 players in each pool will advance from the singles pools
  • Depending on attendance will yield either 64-man or 128-man double elimination bracket
SINGLES AND DOUBLES:
  • Double Elimination
  • First stage is decided by stage striking
  • All Sets are Best 2 out of 3
  • All Finals are Best 3 out of 5
STAGE AND CHARACTER SELECTION
You may ask for a double blind pick first round. Stages are chosen randomly in pools and through the stage striking system afterwards. In this system, players take turns striking stages from the starter list until only one remains; these stages are not banned and can be counterpicked later in the set.
  • After the first round, the winner of the previous round chooses one stage to ban.
  • The loser chooses one stage to ban.You MAY ban NEUTRAL stages.
  • Loser chooses a valid stage.
  • Winner chooses character.
  • Loser will choose character.
When Counterpicking, you cannot go back to a stage that you last won on. (Modified DSR)

FACING THE SAME OPPONENT
There is NO extending sets upon playing the same opponent. Finals will be played as a best 3 of 5 set. If the player from the loser's bracket wins, another set will by played out.

BRAWL TOURNAMENT RULE SET:
BRAWL SPECIFIC RULES:
  • Stocks are set to 3
  • Ties are broken by remaining lives, then %. If both criteria are tied, then the Sudden Death match will be played out.
  • Re-grabbing the ledge of a stage more than 50 times will count as an automatic forfiet of the match. The amount of ledge re-grabs are found in the stats after the match is over in the result screen. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.
  • No stage may be used twice in a single set if the counter-picking player has already won on that stage, unless the opponent agrees to use the stage again. (Dave's Stupid Rule)
  • Metaknight’s Infinite Cape glitch is banned. If you are caught doing this, you will forfeit the current match you are playing, and will count as a loss.
  • If a player successfully ends the match with either Bowser or Ganondorf’s over B attack by suicide, then the player who initiated the move wins. If a player ends the match by swallowing with King DeDeDe or Kirby, and it counts as a tie the player whom initiated the swallowing wins. Unless the character breaks out prior to death and is shown winning the match. In which case, that stands as the correct result.
  • Advanced Slob Picks: After the first match is played, the Winner of the first match bans a stage, then the loser of the first match will announce a new stage to play on for the next match. The winner will then be allowed to switch characters, followed by the loser. Apply the same logic for the third match (and fourth/fifth when applicable) if there is one.
    Double Blind character pick can be called at anytime before the first game of a set starts, and only apply to the first game. Let your pool captain know if you choose to utilize Double Blind.
  • Standing infinite grabs such as, but not limited to DDD's are banned.
  • Ice Climber infinites are legal up to 250%
STAGES:
Neutrals:
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Smashville
Counterpicks:
  • Battleship Halberd
  • Brinstar
  • Delfino Plaza
  • Frigate Orpheon
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Pokemon Stadium 1
  • Rainbow Cruise
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Banned:
  • 75m
  • Big Blue
  • Bridge of Eldin
  • Distant Planet
  • Castle Siege
  • Corneria
  • Flat Zone 2
  • Green Hill Zone
  • Green Greens
  • Hanenbow
  • Halberd
  • Jungle Japes
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Mario Bros.
  • Mario Circuit
  • Mushroomy Kingdom
  • Norfair
  • Onett
  • Pirate Ship
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Port Town Aero Dive
  • Rumble Falls
  • Shadow Moses Island
  • Skyworld
  • Spear Pillar
  • Summit
  • Temple
  • WarioWare, Inc.
  • Yoshi's Island (Melee)
MELEE TOURNAMENT RULE SET:
MELEE SPECIFIC RULES
  • Stocks are set to 4
  • The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned even though I find it hilarious. Upon frozen the IC player forfeits that match. In the rare occasion Nana performs the freeze glitch, the frozen player is to be grabbed, released, and the match resumed from opposite sides of the stage.
  • Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned
  • Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned.
Neutral Stages
  • Battlefield
  • Dreamland 64
  • Final Destination
  • Fountain of Dreams [Singles]
  • Pokemon Stadium [Doubles]
  • Yoshi's Story
Counterpicks:
  • Brinstar
  • Corneria
  • Jungle Japes
  • Kongo Jungle 64
  • Mute City [Doubles]
  • Poke Floats
  • Pokemon Stadium [Singles]
  • Rainbow Cruise
Banned Stages
  • Big Blue
  • Brinstar Depths
  • Flat Zone
  • Fountain of Dreams [Doubles]
  • Four Side
  • Great Bay
  • Green Greens
  • Hyrule Temple
  • Icicle Mountain
  • Kongo Jungle
  • Mushroom Kingdom I
  • Mushroom Kingdom II
  • Mute City [Singles]
  • Onett
  • Princess Peach's Castle
  • Venom
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Yoshi's Island 64
WOBBLES COMPROMISE
The use of the IC Infinite otherwise known as "Wobbles" is banned only at the request of the opponent. If player A selects the Ice Climbers and player B fails to ban the technique before the start of the match, the IC player may use it for the remainder of the set. It is the responsibility of player B to ban the technique, immediately following the character selection process.

ENTRY:
  • $10 Singles
  • $10 Doubles (per team)

PRIZE DISTRIBUTION:
SINGLES $750 POT [FOR EACH GAME]
  • 60% 1st: $450
  • 30% 2nd: $225
  • 10% 3rd: $75
DOUBLES $750 POT[FOR EACH GAME]
  • 50% 1st: $380 - 190/190
  • 30% 2nd: $220 - 110/110
  • 20% 3rd: $150 - 75/75
Payouts will all be conducted in the form of debit gift cards. Since we are using University resources, all payments are closely monitored and cash payouts are out of the question.

FOOD AND SERVICES:
There is plenty of food at Price Center: Round Table, Rubio's, Subway, Panda Express, Shogun, Jamba Juice, Burger King, Bombay Coast, Tapioca Express, Yogurt Land, and Santorini Island Grill. There are also several public restrooms located just outside the venue.

COURTESY:
San Diego is happy place, lets keep it that way. Refrain from all fights and serious arguments, you guys know how to behave. Throw away your trash and respect our campus. Be sure to SHOWER and wear deodorant too. Nothing worse than a room filled with sweaty gamers.

TVS CUBES AND WIIs:
UCSD Sixth College Tech Committee can provide us with 20 TVs as well as a projector. We must provide our own Cubes and Wiis, so we will need A LOT of Wiis. The venue has security, so theft won't be an issue. The target goal is 28 TVs to all of SoCal. Those who bring a full set-up will be given a $5.00 discount from singles. Be warned though, if you bring a TV please expect to stay until the end of day 2. We can't afford to have people taking TVs home in the middle of the tournament. Even if you are eliminated in day one, there are plenty of other games and exciting matches to watch or participate in. Wiis will all be registered and monitored through a check-in system upon entering the venue. Cubes... eh not so much.

PLEASE BRING TVS CUBES AND WIIS

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
*Reserved for later*

[Pound 4 Notice]
Yes, I realize this is planned on the same dates as Pound 4. Sorry folks there's nothing I can do about that, WGF has been held on MLK weekend for the last 5 years. We reserved the Ballroom for WGF '10 literally 2 days after WGF '09. This is not negotiable, nor is it even possible to move. The Ballroom is booked solid every weekend through the rest of the year for other student organizations.

By no means do I wish to compete with Pound in hype or attendees. To all you folks that can afford to go, please do so. WC needs as much representation has possible at a tournament of that magnitude. However, anyone that can't make it to Pound is more than welcome to cruise over to SD for a great tournament.

LHG

Smash Journeyman
WGF is the best. Can't wait for this. WGF#4 for me I think.

No johns for SD not to show up. :bee:

Kira-

Smash Champion
I'm loving the pot distribution

on another note these are my favorite tournaments of all time
with the exception of Riptide's birthday tournament but that was more like hanging out with a lot of people

i'll definitely be there

Kira-

Smash Champion
also if anyone knows they can't make it to pound and wants to team- someone who's pro send me a visitor message or PM

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
inb4 kage saying hes winning dota

Kira-

Smash Champion
you went to tourney play but you arent going to pound?
weak
bought those tickets like 6 months in advance, before i knew what it was going to be like. the 2nd one was awesome apparently, i wanted to attend a tournament like that

Adam M!

Smash Lord
if you don't go to pound 4 you're gonna miss the best tournament of all time

i feel sorry for you

Miharu

Smash Hero
if you don't go to pound 4 you're gonna miss the best tournament of all time

i feel sorry for you
same

self pity incoming

going to this though

and its on my birthday :D

also will i have time to enter dota and this?

pockyD

Smash Legend
in terms of representation, definitely

europe is coming!

i don't know whether you deem that more or less relevant than the japanese @ oc2 though

Adam M!

Smash Lord
I somehow doubt it will be the best tournament of all time!
I don't.

It's everything Genesis should've been!

50 guaranteed TVs... Plank bought a bunch of TVs from Craigslist so there will be a TON of setups. Pound 3 had 3-4 people per setup, an amazing ratio.

EVERYONE is coming. Not just Armada this time from Europe -- many of their top players. The best part is me and Tofu will be housing with Plank, who is also housing the Europeans, so we'll get to play them all day errday =)

Run by a proven TO who will be strict as **** and will make sure **** is run properly.

And since it's in the heart of East Coast, every good EC player imaginable will show up! And Canada (I think)!

And two DEDICATED Melee days on Saturday and Sunday... it doesn't get any better than that!

God just talking about it makes me so excited :embarrass

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Pound 3 was legit, but it definitely had it's problems. For one reason or another people seem to forget that it ended at 6AM, on top of that most of SoCal nearly missed our flights cuz no one would drive us to the airport and we couldn't get a taxi.

All that aside though, Plank knows where he messed up with Pound 3 and has has seemed to take every precaution to make sure Pound 4 is amazing.

Kira if you have to money/desire to go to Pound 4, you should definitely go. WGF is going to be a great tournament no doubt: With (Neal?) and I running it and an amazing venue with a huge projector and a bunch of setups. The atmosphere of WGF really is second to none. But Pound 4 might be a once in a life time deal. I doubt we're ever gonna get all that talent into one tournament ever again.

Atlus8

Smash Master
I have no doubt Pound 4 will be a great tourny, but s#!+ happens! Pound 3 lasted waaaaay to long that Mango/Forward forfeit doubles! I think they had to switch to a smaller venue and it was crazy hot/sweaty/sticky! Anyway, only time will tell . . .

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
ugh i forgot about the sweaty stickiness... the windows were dripping with human condensation, granted it was pretty cold outside. but it got to the point where i thought it was raining cuz the sweat was dripping so profusely on the windows... ughhhhh

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
I'm not trying to say Pound 3 was perfect. It was good in most aspects but I wasted time with crews and didnt have enough help running it

Azn lep is totally right, there were problems at P3 and I've done everything possible to fix them. Guaranteed TVs all weekend are a great bonus.

If you dont have the money to go to p4, go to this.

Good luck azn_lep and I'm sad you can't come to my tournament, it's going to be the best of all time. I'm sad that anybody is hosting a tournament the same day, I wanted everyone to be here.

Oh well. I hope this isnt just cuz p3 ran too late. GL for you guys.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Oh by no means am I hosting this cuz of the faults with Pound 3. I petitioned long and hard to get this date moved, but the student organization i host this through books WGF on MLK weekend every year, nearly a year in advanced. I just didn't really pay attention to the date of Pound 4 till it was too late. I'm actually really bummed that I'm gonna miss Pound 4.

JFlo - at the moment it looks like PS3, this might change though.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Ah i see, well that's a shame then! Anyone who can't make it out to Pound 4 def go to this, sucks that I'll be hurting your attendance a bit >=( but i'm sure tons of locals will still make it.

but guess what

I GOT SILENTSPECTRE YEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ;)

HugS™

Smash Lord
****, lame.

I really enjoy the WGF series, but I'll have to pass to go to Pound 4 instead.

vato_break

Smash Master
I think they only did that last time because of large attendance and since pound 4 is happening i'm certain only 1 round of pools will take place this time.

Top Bottom