• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips to Beat Toon Link

Vlade

Social Outcast
So yeah Xonar wanted me to write something up about beating toon link, I actually believe it is a matchup that falco has to play quite differently in compared to other characters. In this post I'll just list all my special tips and thought on versing toon link. It'll probably seem like I'm waffling on and look really unorganised but meh.

Enjoy :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

A staple of toon link's game is the zair. This is a move that is lagless and has decent range and pretty much cannot be punished when spaced properly. If your shield gets hit by a zair I suggest that you just try and reset the situation, since it is virtually unpunishable (like MK's fsmash). However if you manage to powershield it you can generally punish it with ftilt. Obviously the toon link will most likely stuff up the spacing on the zair every now and then which gives you the opportunity to shieldgrab. Zair is a move you should really try to avoid because it combos into nairs and possibly usmashes. You need to get inside toon link while he is shorthopping and then shield his zair, this way you can get the shieldgrab in.

Bair is probably toon link's best aerial and is his main tool for comboing and racking up damage. Also great for shield pressure, especially since he can do 2 bairs in one shorthop. If toon link shorthop bairs your shield just drop your shield after the first hit and then dash attack. Works really well, otherwise you can also bair OoS depending on the toon link's spacing. If you don't think either are safe, roll away.

I feel that falco should practically be living in his shield in this matchup. The way I play is to shield all his projectiles, zairs and aerials and try to inflict damage OoS with SHDL, bair and IAP mainly (this depends on spacing). I also find that I roll a lot more than usual in this matchup too, despite it getting predictable at times.

Toon Link's dair is his most underrated move imo. It is fantastic when it hits your shield, because it just bounces. However, this is punishable - just shield the first hit and then after it bounces, spotdodge then punish with dsmash or w/e because it the dair will plant into the ground. Don't try to punish the dair while it is bouncing, it just has too much priority and I don't think we can safely hit toon link without trading hits.

Toon Links tend to recover from very low. When a toon link is recovering, get on the ledge, and then with good timing, just ledgedrop bair for free damage and a possible kill. Toon Link can't do much about it unless he gets a bomb out while recovering.

Toon Link I believe has a much easier time killing than falco. Corpsecreate (not sure about other toon links) has this 'combo' which is incredibly surprising - basically while his boomerang is returning, he charges an usmash. The boomerang knocks you right into his smash and scores a KO. Pretty neat huh. So yeah watch out for all of toon link's kill setups, he can't do much to kill while you're shielding (his uthrow doesn't kill until 200 or so). Obviously it is the same with us, but bair is an excellent move for killing from off-stage (since toon link doesn't do very much while recovering) and yeah try not to fish for kills like I do, you'll be punished hard.

Reflector I find is a very useful move here, both for reflecting projectiles as well as stopping an approaching toon link cold. when a Toon Link short hops, reflector every now and then. The infinite priority is a great asset for overcoming his aerials, projectiles and upcoming zair.

When approaching toon link (you must approach sometimes to mix things up) always wait for his boomerang to return to him, then proceed to just shield and walk in (powershield if possible). It's too difficult to approach with lasers here, I just recommend using them as a tool for forcing approaches and mainly for racking up damage. If toon link is in the middle of a shorthop, go for a dash attack, otherwise try and observe what toon link is going to do to prevent your approach and punish with a grab. Grabbing is so important in this matchup, even when not in chaingrab %s. Same with Jab combo.

You will very rarely ever get a chaingrab, maybe once per match. I highly suggest gattling combo for racking up damage at low % and basically just playing like you normally would, otherwise toon link can really take advantage and get a good lead from your scrappy playing.

That's all I have for now, I'll add more later after this assignment XD

Cheers

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
I'm still kinda angry you let Corpsecreate 0-4 you in balloon pops on smashville.

XD

erick gm14

Smash Ace
good stuff vlade!! also a side note, never fire bird as a recovery option.. if TL is by the edge and sees your fire bird will get u on stage he will most likely dair you while the fire bird is starting up.. And also watch out for the down smash, it can gimp fairly easy since the first hit sends u far azz heck if the second hit misses.

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
I think this is what your match up thread should have and not just numbers. I dance on the regular/lurker line, and I have to say that I've gone to the matchup thread numerous times for quick pointers in a certain matchup and all I get are ratios. I definitely feel like this IS what a matchup article on toon link looks like, but I also feel that it should be paired with the numbers.

To show you what I mean, I'll give you the link to the Ganon match-up thread. We over on the Ganon boards know that we have to pull EVERYTHING out that we can in order to come out with a win, and in order to do that, we must have a very organized and efficient way to view match ups. Now just because Falco is a higher level character doesn't mean that doesn't have to happen, and I'm not saying it is happening, but I just would like to urge all of you uber-regulars to maybe revamp the match-up thread to be a little like this.

The Triforce of Knowledge

Vlade

Social Outcast
I'm still kinda angry you let Corpsecreate 0-4 you in balloon pops on smashville.

XD
In that sense, I lost the match very badly XD

Yeah Kid reminded me of something about firebird, obviously you should never use it but there are times when you HAVE to. E.g. toon link is shooting arrows and it intercepts your phantasm. In this instance, make SURE that you do a firebird with your back facing the stage otherwise you'll get edgehogged.

Top Bottom