• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DRAGON THUNDER WARHEAD TOURNAMENT 5: FINAL DESTINATION Boston, MA Results Up!

dawall250

Smash Journeyman
DRAGON THUNDER WARHEAD TOURNAMENT 5: FINAL DESTINATION

So, my fellow Boston University smashers and I have searched often for a Brawl tournament in Boston, but sadly, there are none, or they are extremely extremely rare. And more often than not, they are in out of Boston locations. Taking the commuter rail is fun and all, but we're cheap, and wanted things to happen in Boston itself. Finally, the idea came to us that we should host our own tournament! Now, working with Boston University, we've got a venue for this tournament, and hopefully will be the start of many more tournaments in Boston. So all Boston smashers (or any smashers in the area) looking for a nearby tournament, prepare yourself. This is gonna be good.

So, this being our first time (not the 5th as the title implies) hosting a tournament, we're not sure about the timing for everything, so for now, it's only a singles tournament. However, should there be time in the end, it would be possible to have a crew tourney or something. We are open to suggestion.

If you want dinner or food, there is a food court right next to the venue. Tell a TO if you're leaving to get food during the tournament. The latest one is open till 11.

Also, for those of you guys wanting to check out the building beforehand, or wanna scout out the competition, haha, we have smash sessions from 230,3 to whenever we get kicked out (anywhere between 5-7) every Friday. We love having new people to play with, so if you've got nothing to do a Friday afternoon, and got an inkling for some smash, you all are welcome! Give one of the TO's a call (numbers below) to find out exactly where in the building it is (namely the game room in the basement). The location of Smash Fridays is different from the location of the tournament.

Location: 775 Commonwealth Ave. Boston, MA 02215 (The George Sherman Union) (There will be signs when you enter leading you to the area, the Back Court)
Date: Friday, November 13th
Raeef: 6177590513
Nafiun (Me): 6176801148
Calvin : 6175431032
Taking the T? It's the BU central stop on the B line of the green line (To BC).

Venue opens at 8:00 pm.
Sign-up starts at 8:00
Begins at 8:45

Entry Fee:
$5 (Fee will be discounted if you bring in a tv. We don't need wiis, just some good lagless tvs)

- 3 Stock
- 8 min. time limit
- No Items
- Double Elimination
- DDD's standing chaingrabs are banned (wall infinites are ok).
- Mk's Infinite cape is BANNED
- First round consists of all characters being chosen by a blind pick. (Disputes settled by Rock-Paper-Scissors). The first stage will then be determined by a stage strike method. Players take turn striking out neutral stages until only one stage remains, which is the stage that is played. After the first match is over, each player bans one stage that can not be used in counterpicks.
- If a player successfully ends the match with either Bowser or Ganondorf's over B attack by suicide, then the player who initiated the move wins.
- If a player ends the match by swallowing with Kirby or DDD, the person who initiated the attack wins. IF the victory is shown that the person who was swallowed won, then the win goes to them because they broke out of the swallow.
- If there is a dispute over controller ports then the two will rock paper scissors (best of 3) to determine who will be in which port.
- Best of 3. Losers and winners finals of both, singles, will be best of 5.
- Randomized brackets. There will be no re-randomizing or seeding of brackets.
- If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
- Stalling is banned. Call a TO over if there is a dispute (Raeef, Calvin, or Nafiun)
-This tournament will be enforcing a 50 edge-grab planking rule. If your character grabs the ledge 50 times or more in one match, AND the match times out, you automatically forfeit that match. (Keep in mind, you will not come close 50 edge-grabs in a match unless you are actively trying to stall the match on the ledge.).
-VENUE OPENS AT 8:00 PM AND CLOSES WHEN THE TO'S SAY SO (We can stay until 2 am, but for those taking the T here, we ought to be done with the singles tourney before last trains run)
-Any rule is subject to change by one of the TO's during the tourney at anytime if necessary.

MAJOR CHANGE HERE
Payout
First: 60%
Second: 30%
Third: 10%

BU's apparently a ***** about giveaways, and they don't let us give actual cash prizes. Now here's the deal, we can either figure out how many people are coming beforehand and then hand out visa gift cards of the money that would supposedly equal the payout according to the amount of people that we figured would come. What we would prefer so that people get what they deserve is that we get the gift cards after the tournament, and then give it to the winners sometime during the week, which shouldn't be too bad since everyone lives in the area and no out of staters are coming... right? If you really have an issue with the latter idea, and prefer the former or have another idea, tell us asap.

Sorry about this, doing this on such short notice created problems like this. Next time, we'll figure out a way to just do cash prizes.

(We don't really expect more than 64 entrants, but supposing there are, we'll use the standard payouts for that)

Stages
Neutrals:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Smashville
Lylat

Counter Picks:
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 1
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Rainbow Cruise

Results:

1: Fatal
2: James.
3: Dawall
4: Sion
5: Nito
5: Fats
7: Dark Cloud
7: Yume
9: Soma
9: Asato
9: Rach
9: Dank
13: Chris James
13: Ace
13: Yih
13: Kurse
17: Deluca
17: Tofum
17: Beans
17: ?jaab
17: Raeef
17: Fubudis
17: roy
17: Sphere
25: Fill
25: Aiku
25: AKC
25: Kamina
25: Blue
25: Tarn
25: Gabe
25: Jarrett
33: Falcon
33: Skell
33: Lee
33: Fems

Linky: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=8854263#post8854263

Lost something? call one of the to's... not me though, i'm not at bu currently.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Randomized brackets. There will be no re-randomizing or seeding of brackets.

>__>
We're basically expecting alot of unranked casual players to come (because thats what we all are) and we just cant figure out a way to do seeding. Although if you can suggest a good way to do seeding we can change that rule.

tl;dr

We suck come take our money!

dawall250

Smash Journeyman
well, we could do seeding, we just don't expect enough people to come so that it'd really make that big of a difference. if there are enough that it makes a difference, then seeding could happen, we shall see.
(we could do seeding from doing pools, but only if we have time)

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
There goes my $5. In other news, start around 8:00 PM? Ummm, what time does the T close down, 1:00 AM? I don't wanna have to walk from BU back to MCP >.> I guess I'll come anyway. I'll just sleep in a tree or something, haha.

dawall250

Smash Journeyman
well, looking at the mbta schedule, aiming to finish by 1220 at the latest will be best, cuz i believe the latest T coming from BC will arrive around then. I seriously doubt we'll be going past that anyways, but if we do... at least boston's a walking town? haha, but if anyone really needs a place to stay the night or something cuz walking back to wherever they're from would be a legit hike, we can look into that for you guys.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
After looking up the directions, it doesn't seem too bad. It says it's about a 30 min walk, but it's kinda close the Best Buy and the theater in fenway. Question: Is this venue the same place we always meet and play? I might walk there this friday (assuming I don't have any upcoming tests) to make sure I know where I'm going.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
After looking up the directions, it doesn't seem too bad. It says it's about a 30 min walk, but it's kinda close the Best Buy and the theater in fenway. Question: Is this venue the same place we always meet and play? I might walk there this friday (assuming I don't have any upcoming tests) to make sure I know where I'm going.
Yup! Its the same place. Only we're not in the basement but rather in the back court.

Update: we can stay in the Back Court until 2 a.m.

dawall250

Smash Journeyman
we can't get the location until 8, sorry. we'll see what we can do for later events. you definitely should come though, its not thaat far away, 30 minuteish walk i believe. it'd be great to have a large turnout for our first tourney

dawall250

Smash Journeyman
haha you guys mooch off their cafeteria? i went to bls for high school and we mooched off their cafeteria alllll the time... well until they started putting security guards in front of the entrance kicking out most of the high school kids, haha.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
We actually have a contract with massart allowing us to use our IDs to get in. We just don't have a cafe of our own so we mooch off them haha. We also mooch off massart's gymnasium. We mooch off wentworth's gym for weight training. We're basically leeches haha.

Also, bls = boston latin s(?).

dawall250

Smash Journeyman
yeah, bls is boston latin school, we're like a minute walk away from you guys. i remember knowing mcp first as the building with the massive metal pillars and as a college second

So Fatal

Smash Master
We actually have a contract with massart allowing us to use our IDs to get in. We just don't have a cafe of our own so we mooch off them haha. We also mooch off massart's gymnasium. We mooch off wentworth's gym for weight training. We're basically leeches haha.

Also, bls = boston latin s(?).

get the hell out of our gym! but I eat at Mass art all the time:chuckle:

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I think I'll be able to go to this, while I don't expect to win so long as there's an Ice Climbers player with that dumb infinate...I can at least proudly show my Lucas that have captured the <3's of many.
Don't worry, we don't have any IC's here (unless your talking about melee). We actually have a couple of legit Lucases here, you guys should totally fight to see who's the strongest. ^.^

CrimsonSnow

Smash Cadet
Indeed, I really do love ditto's...and delicious cake :3

Although, I actually forgot to mention I honestly believe Olimar is a hard Lucas Counter (I just don't know how to approach him...I'd almost rather fight Metaknight...) if I could observe a match between a good Olimar and another Lucas it would be appreciated.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Indeed, I really do love ditto's...and delicious cake :3

Although, I actually forgot to mention I honestly believe Olimar is a hard Lucas Counter (I just don't know how to approach him...I'd almost rather fight Metaknight...) if I could observe a match between a good Olimar and another Lucas it would be appreciated.
We aint got no Olimah's

Actually, we have one, but he gets 3 stocked by my Snake so...

Rachmaninav89

Smash Apprentice
Hey crimson I'll be interested in some lucas ditto's would be fun =D
I'm a Lucas player, and though i dont has delicious cake, it will still be good times.
and then cake after.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
get the hell out of our gym! but I eat at Mass art all the time:chuckle:
*Head explodes*
You go to Wentworth (assuming the gym you are talkin about is the weight lifting gym)? Pshh, I know a kid that goes to Ww (Bob Messenger) and he says you got 5 more gyms or something like that. We're only allowed in one... and it's always extremely crowded... so I just go to the backbay gym, haha.

Man, where have I been? The nastiest sonic and snake in MA, all going to college within walking distance of my college school building.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Yay Snake dittos! So much funnn

Edit: Tan, I still can't get over how I had you at 169 on your last stock when I was at 0 and you came back and won, that was so clutch.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Wooo, late posts! I didn't know you stayed up this late Calvin. I'm trying as hard as I can to get people from my school to come, but no one is really competitive (in mindset) - i.e. they don't even know the standard ruleset.

@Fatal - meet up and play = dominating my main and secondary. I feel like I'm in a game where you get to a boss and a "threat" signal is flashing.

I'm all hyped up! Also, haha. My friend mains fox and complains about snake all the time. He doesn't know who Fatal is, but when I told him about the best MA snake, he just shook his head and said he didn't want it, haha.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Lol, I always stay up late since I procrastinate on my hmwks and have a ton to finish.

We're expecting a good amount of really casual players too (aka n00bs) from BU and poss NEU, so tell your friend that there will def be ppl worse than him and if he gets lucky he can win a few rounds.

dawall250

Smash Journeyman
i've decided for everyone that gabe is officially the namer of our tournaments. also, i've seen your full avatar on aib. that luigi is just perfect for you.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
dawall aka nafiun, who do you main again? You are the guy who heads the club right?... or have I not met you? Sorry, I suck with names and recognize faces better, like most people. Raeef is the DDD player right?

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Nafiun plays Dedede/Lucario
Raeef Plays GW/DK
I play Falco/Snake
Gabe plays Mario
Johnny (Rach) plays Lucas/Diddy
Scott (skell) plays Snake/Wario

Ppl you haven't played:
Nick plays ZSS/Metaknight