• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mechanics of Lylat Cruise

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
With AA posting his findings on Frigate, i thought i might as well post the results of my research on Lylat.

1) There are four different backgrounds:
Corneria (the planet)
The asteroid field
A space battle
One where there's a bunch of asteroids and a few small ships

2) You cannot go through the same background twice in a row. That is, you cannot warp from the end of a scene back to the beginning of the scene.

3) Pleiades' (that's the ship you're fighting on) path is COMPLETELY NON-RANDOM. It is directly linked to each of the four backgrounds. On each background, there is precisely one path Pleiades can take.

4) As far as I can tell, each of the stages (besides Corneria) have two different start points and two different end points. All of these points are along the same line. If S and E denote start and end, respectively, the paths for these three backgrounds are basically:
Code:
S1..........S2..............................E1..........E2
Start and end points are independent of each other - just because you start at S1 doesn't necessarily mean you will end at E1.

5) The Corneria background is always the same: The ship comes out of the warp, leans to one side and stabilizes (several consecutive incerasingly small leans), plunges into the planet's atmosphere, leans to one side and stabilizes again, stays straight for about 20 seconds, comes out of the atmosphere, leans to one side and stabilizes for the third time, then quickly warps. The time between warps is approximately 38 seconds.

6) I didn't specifically check the times or flight patterns for the other locations, though I am certain that Pleiades takes the same path every time for each background and only the start and end points are different. Depending on whether the start or end is early or late, the background takes around 30 to 50 seconds before switching.

Unfortunately, even with all the hacking tools available to us, I couldn't decode anything that might help us better understand the stage. (For those of you that are fluent in BrawlBox, there's a stageposition file in STGSTARFOX_GDIFF/2/ModelData[100]/3DModels(NW4R)/stageposition; in Brawlscape, it's simply inside Lylat Cruise (GDiff). It might be worth trying to decipher it.)

bobson

Smash Lord
I seem to recall it going into a background where it was just endless space for awhile longer than any of the other backgrounds after it cycled through all the other backgrounds a few times over.

Was this just my imagination?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Also, just to add, it loads a new background every time it transitions. This causes a bit of lag on WiFi, and it can cause character transformations to take a very long time if they happen in parallel with it.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
It's bad for a lot of character's recoveries, so it's usually striked or not picked

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
It's bad for a lot of character's recoveries, so it's usually striked or not picked
Are you sure your custom title is supposed to say RocketPSIencetist?
Not to mention, if you spend a few minutes with the stage, you'll begin to see how easy it is to sweetspot the ledges there (i had a post on that too, iunno where tho)

Also, thanks Almas, I forgot to mention that :/

And bobson, it probably was your imagination, unless there were a lot of small meteorites in the background...i think that particular background can go on for a really long time with S1 and E2...

ru5514n

Smash Ace

Not to mention, if you spend a few minutes with the stage, you'll begin to see how easy it is to sweetspot the ledges there (i had a post on that too, iunno where tho)

Actually, I kinda agree with RocketPSIence. If you end up just a tiny bit off and below the stage, you are screwed. It also pisses me off when I play Falco, try to recover with side-b, and the edge just tilts up, and I miss it, and fall to my death.:mad:

P.S. I seem to recall that there are six backgrouns for the stage, since each Star Fox char has 6 codec taunts.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
There is no reason for a good player to ever fail to recover here. I know someone who was able to consistently recover here (as in 100% success rate) as Ness, who I guarantee has it the hardest out of the entire cast, on laggy WiFi which does nothing but make it harder. If he can do it under those conditions, anyone can do it in real play with any character. Just play better, and you will always execute your recovery correctly to account for the tilting. If you don't make it back, at least have the honesty with yourself to blame yourself instead of blaming the stage...

Top Bottom