• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Links move tier list

pulse131

Smash Ace
Alright, I have seen this on a few other boards, but never for our hero Link, so i decided to make a tier list of Link's moves, similar to the character tier list. feel free to give your own opinions and be sure to enjoy!

Chuck Norris Tier:

U Taunt
S Taunt
D Taunt

God Tier:

Zair (all around links best spacer, zero lag, decent dmg. nuff said)
Water Proof Bombs (one of links staples, once again, nuff said)
Nair/Sex Kick(always been my favorite move ever, no lag, great for many things and **** near any situation)
UTilt (brilliant combo starter, easy to hit with, and its a great way to stay in shape)

High Tier:

Gale Boomerang (quick, ranged dmg, pull enemies in for countless setups, etc.)
FSmash (link's main kill move, almost no startup lag, great knockback, good dmg)
BAir (uuber fast, great for combos, better for gimping :) and its a great way to stay in shape)
Jab (Link's gtfo me move, as well as jab lock and jab cancel)
DSmash (best option for roll spamming narbs, good dmg, good killing move, just freagin sweet looking, and simply one of my favorites)

Mid Tier:

Spin Attack(ground) (great for killing, can be charged for mindgames, etc.)
USmash (DAC, decent dmg, not all that hard 2 hit with, but punishable)
Fair (really good dmg, multiple hits, somewhat fast and all around awesome)
Dair (one of Link's killing moves, but ya, Link kinda over does it and buries his own sword 2 feet into the stage and takes the time to get it out, ya just a move used uuber sparingly)

Low Tier:

Hero's Bow (gimper, free dmg, arrow cancel, annoying against snake :p)
UAir (good hitbox and range, lasts 3 days, decent killing potential)
DTilt (intercept, sends em down fast or high up, not much range though)
Spin Attack(air) (negative vertical and horizontal and sideways recovery, not so much dmg, but ok priority)
FTilt (slow, but good range, not used all that often)

Throws:

DThrow (usually best for combos at lower percentages)
BThrow (good for kicking peeps off the stage and gimp set up)
UThrow (somewhat decent killing potential and all around fun :p)
FThrow (good with bombs :D)

So ya, there you have it, my opinion on Link's moveset and how it rates as well as how often i use them. Once again I am sure it is not all necessarily right or wrong, like i said just my opinion. Please give all your own advice. Thnx a bundle.

Link for High Tier!!

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Nice list you got here. I disagree with some but I like how you gave your supporting reasons.

I'll write up my own version sooner or later. :)

FunkMaster

Smash Journeyman
really?

from what i've heard link has like no killing moves besides dair.

is fsmash really so fast?

sure. bombs, zair as top tier. yeah. but not utilt. it's way too slow.

jab. sure. but a lot of his attacks aren't too great. there's a reason

he's bottom tier.

pulse131

Smash Ace
well ya alot of his moves arent nearly as good as mk's, sure, but regardless of whether or not they r good i made a list of what i specifically think is better out of HIS moves. if i wanted 2 compare him 2 other characters i would have made a full cast move tier list....wait, that not 2 bad of an idea. i wanna do that! :p
later tho, freagin believe the legend is supposed 2 b out any minute and i wanna b the first or among the 1st 2 witness!

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
really?

from what i've heard link has like no killing moves besides dair.

is fsmash really so fast?

sure. bombs, zair as top tier. yeah. but not utilt. it's way too slow.

jab. sure. but a lot of his attacks aren't too great. there's a reason

he's bottom tier.
Compared to MK, Link really doesn't have much (most characters don't :p).

However...

Dair is the most prevalent killing move versus MK users because for some reason, MKs tend to shuttle loop right into it. Its a joke among Link mains that dair is a shuttle loop magnet.

Utilt's startup is only 8 frames, and it only has moderate lag at the end.

Link's real weaknesses are his fastfall (which locks him into almost all CGs and combos in the game) and his extremely terrible recovery. Otherwise he would probably be about middle tier.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Bombs aren't water proof, they sink.
Jab canceling's combo potential should boost them higher.
Dair an opponent who must move into it, like when they're recovering or use it to punish air dodges. Dair's better if it's used right. Slow falling Dair shield bounces and bounces off breakable stage elements with good forward momentum, it also slides down steep slopes, do these to reduce lag risk.

^ the timing of this and the above posts is uncanny!

Realmz

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I think Fair and Jab should switch places. I think Fsmash is too high, and Dair should be above everything in its tier except Uair.

pulse131

Smash Ace
Bombs aren't water proof, they sink.
Jab canceling's combo potential should boost them higher.
Dair an opponent who must move into it, like when they're recovering or use it to punish air dodges. Dair's better if it's used right. Slow falling Dair shield bounces and bounces off breakable stage elements with good forward momentum, it also slides down steep slopes, do these to reduce lag risk.

^ the timing of this and the above posts is uncanny!
i no that they sink, but the bombs themselves r based off of the water proof bombs from twilight princess, if im not mistaken. i put it dair lower cuz its not as good against those who prefer the ground, and basically all around harder 2 use and not b punished. i just like 2 play safer but i definetly c wat ur saying.

Sliq

Smash Master
Anyone that uses 2 and b instead of to and be (1 more character...) is probably not an authority on anything besides irritating people on internet forums.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
And its not your authority or right to troll him for his internet slang, Sliq.

FunkMaster

Smash Journeyman
huh i guess i didn't know much about link. yeah, i'm probably locked into a metaknight/snake way

of thinking.

I just remember in early Brawl DSF vs. some Link(DEVA?) and DSF lost. he kept getting killed by

shuttle loop into dair.

and 8 frames for utilt? I had no idea. It always looked crazy slow to me. guess I'm just wrong.

and yeah his recovery is wow. it's like 64 all over. it's such nonsense.

ah well. whatever.

Realmz

Smash Apprentice
i no that they sink, but the bombs themselves r based off of the water proof bombs from twilight princess, if im not mistaken. i put it dair lower cuz its not as good against those who prefer the ground, and basically all around harder 2 use and not b punished. i just like 2 play safer but i definetly c wat ur saying.
Wha? His bombs in brawl aren't based off water bombs, look:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/zelda/images/7/7e/Bomb_Fish_-_Water_Bomb.png

On a side note, I know Dair feels like it sucks, but its actually something we try to use almost every match, and it works its fair share of the time. Not to say it'll make us win, or that it'll even always get the kill, but we can land it alot more often than you would think and usually get the kill when we do. I know its risk and need of the right timing and/or mind games, but thats why its in a low tier to begin with. I just think its helpful more often than anything else in its tier, except for Uair probably.

pulse131

Smash Ace
Wha? His bombs in brawl aren't based off water bombs, look:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/zelda/images/7/7e/Bomb_Fish_-_Water_Bomb.png

On a side note, I know Dair feels like it sucks, but its actually something we try to use almost every match, and it works its fair share of the time. Not to say it'll make us win, or that it'll even always get the kill, but we can land it alot more often than you would think and usually get the kill when we do. I know its risk and need of the right timing and/or mind games, but thats why its in a low tier to begin with. I just think its helpful more often than anything else in its tier, except for Uair probably.
ya, i played a bunch of frendly matches 2day and incorporated at leest 2x, mayb 3x more Dair then i usually do and i was quite satisfied with the results. that with bombs and boomerangs flying everywher reely helps :)

about that water bomb thing, i remember reading in the triforce of courage guide that his bombs were the water proof bombs, so im not reely sure but im 2 lazy right now 2 go find out.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
huh i guess i didn't know much about link. yeah, i'm probably locked into a metaknight/snake way of thinking.

I just remember in early Brawl DSF vs. some Link(DEVA?) and DSF lost. he kept getting killed by shuttle loop into dair.

and 8 frames for utilt? I had no idea. It always looked crazy slow to me. guess I'm just wrong.

ah well. whatever.
No problem, I really can't blame you considering its MK/Snake that are the actual tourney-viable characters (other high tiers are acceptable for tournies, but MK and Snake are the best). The other characters are really meant for FFA, Items on, Crazy stages formats of gameplay.

pulse131

Smash Ace
huh i guess i didn't know much about link. yeah, i'm probably locked into a metaknight/snake way

of thinking.

I just remember in early Brawl DSF vs. some Link(DEVA?) and DSF lost. he kept getting killed by

shuttle loop into dair.

ah well. whatever.
l0ol, i did that 4 a long time, but wen i started using lower tiers in hopes of finding a main, i 1, found link, whom i liked alredy, and 2 found that it was alot more fun playing matches cuz it was alot more challenging.

zaborg2400

Smash Cadet
hmmm, all looks pretty good cept jab and fsmash. cept 4 u mayb. and ur phillthy phillthy mindgames.
btw did u ever find out if blazes wifi werks?

Sliq

Smash Master
And its not your authority or right to troll him for his internet slang, Sliq.
I am an authority on usability, and when using non traditional English to convey a message, it becomes more difficult for your intended audience to understand what you are trying to say. In other words, it will take longer for someone to read his post because he opted to not take the effort to type using coherent English, making him lazy and inconsiderate.

If he wants people to take him seriously and actually read his post, he should make a conscious effort to express himself in a more authoritative manner. The manner in which he has decided to post leads me to believe he is either lazy or of lower intelligence, and does not convince me he is knowledgeable in any manner.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
He's coming up with a list for fun on what Link's best moves are. I don't get the impression he's trying to be "the authority" on anything. He's stating his opinion, and if you don't like it because of how he spells, then that's fine. This second post addresses the issue perfectly well.
The first post however ("Anyone that uses 2 and b instead of to and be (1 more character...) is probably not an authority on anything besides irritating people on internet forums.") is much more along the lines of a flame post. If an issue needs to be addressed, whether it is a severe problem or a merely irritating habit of a person, then it can at the least be addressed as civilly as you addressed it in the second post, and not so much as in the first post. The attitude of the post was unwarranted for the crime of saying 2 instead of two.

Sliq

Smash Master
Just because it pokes fun at him for the sake of being funny doesn't make it malicious. You mods need to learn that.

Plus, it is good advice.

Smash Apprentice
Just because it pokes fun at him for the sake of being funny doesn't make it malicious. You mods need to learn that.

Plus, it is good advice.
I just find it ironic that you're criticizing someone for internet slang when your avatar has the lunatic eyes, banana mouth, and DBZ scouter.

S.K.I.D

Smash Cadet
I just find it ironic that you're criticizing someone for internet slang when your avatar has the lunatic eyes, banana mouth, and DBZ scouter.
i lol'd. BTW i think its easier to dead and its better overall 2 use shortened internet stuff

this list is good.

Sliq

Smash Master
I find it UNironic that both of you joined in 2009 and completely missed the point.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
No more posts regarding grammar, please. I insist we take this discussion back on track.

Frankly, dair does NOT deserve to be low tier. It is a great killer and is Link's most well-known and most widely feared move. It is really laggy if misused, but when used properly the chance of being left wide open is much smaller than the chance that you'll get a big payoff.

pulse131

Smash Ace
after playing an entire weekend against a diddy mainer who just loved his spot dodge may i add, i took what u guys advised 2 and made its reality my enemies hell. ya, did alot better and edited it a little. thnx every1.

ohaiduhg

Smash Lord
Thorough discussion of all his moves put into easy-to-read lists couldn't hurt. Maybe x out of 5 rankings in the move list part of the Link guide.

Some more discussion for an E-tier character...?

oOTjayOo

Smash Apprentice
Hmm. I can't find other uses of Heros bow sep as Followups from Boomerang and aireals/bomb throw. I was puzzled why it was there at first.

pulse131

Smash Ace
ya, i discovered that half or more its better 2 just approach rather then arrows. of course im having trouble of getting out of the habit of using 1 wen ever i can cancel the lag or watever that technique is called.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Why do Link boards keep calling them Water Proof Bombs when they are, verifiably, not the Water Proof Bombs?

Also, has there been work done to exploit (/find) the spike hitbox on Dash Attack?

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Also, has there been work done to exploit (/find) the spike hitbox on Dash Attack?
Speaking of which, I don't see any mention of Dash Attack on this list. I have no idea on its placement (due to me using the little fairy boy), but it should still deserve some mention.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Super Bump!

Well, we've been thinking of bumping this thread back up for a while, so, at the very likely possibility of making a huge fool of myself, I guess I can go ahead and post my tier list of Link's moveset. Feel free to point and laugh!

A Tier
Zair
Bomb

B Tier
Nair
Jab
Boomerang
Utilt

C Tier
DSmash
Bair
FSmash
Dair
Fair
FTilt

D Tier
Bow and Arrow
Uair
Grab
USmash
Dash Attack
Spin Attack grounded

F Tier
Spin Attack aerial
DTilt

Throws

BThrow
DThrow
UThrow
FThrow

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Dtilt is way way way better than arrows.

What do arrows do, seriously? Every time I've shot one, I've regretted it or it whiffed. They're good against Samus, pretty much it.
I am also confused how spin attack can be better than ftilt. ftilt is a second Fsmash that has different safety conditions. Spin attack does nothing from which anyone who's properly respecting his *other* moves won't protect themselves completely. I.e., it's a terribad Dsmash.

Largely I agree with the tiers. But dtilt should come up to low tier, Usmash is at least as important as bottom of C, and Dash Attack has been left out again.

EDIT: I mean, show me a vid, one of the many vids, where a Link uses an arrow once, and then again, in a set, and both times it was actually good. Not against Samus.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Hmm... My tier list is solely based on how often I use them and how important they are to my style. Not based on how good i think they are.

A Tier
Bomb (I like explosions)
Zair (Well no lag and combo potential is DUH)

B Tier
Jab (One of the best close range options)
Utilt (Most used attack in general, great overall coverage with little lag)
Boomerang (Used for a lot of combo potential)
FSmash (Great range and speed)

C Tier
DSmash (Best killing move, and easy to save up)
FTilt (Nice long range and power, highly underrated)
Dash Attack (Quick and is good for comboing into Utilt)
Nair (Best aerial with good properties)
Bair (Most used aerial, but harder to hit with then Nair)

D Tier
Bow and Arrow (Very good for a quick stun or tacking on extra damage during a combo)
Dair (Good killing move, but i just cant seem to hit people with it often)
Grab (I grab a lot, but it is easily punished if i miss)
Uair (Long range and duration, but i can never kill with it and i find there are usually better options)
Fair (Not very good at ledge hop Fair, and can never connect with the second hit, i really just need pratice with this)

F Tier
Spin Attack aerial (Useful as a recovery, and against edge hoggers who will most likely die if hit at the end. Other then that not very good)
USmash (I find Utilt is almost always better and safer option, i don't DAC)
DTilt (Only good for attempting to spike or at the end of Jab cancel to save my better attacks)
Spin Attack grounded (Too easy to guard and punish, and only useful against spot dodgers)

Yup... that was an interesting activity. Though i think i should move arrow higher since its much more useful to me then lets say Dair, which constantly gets me in trouble.

Top Bottom