• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Maybe There's Some Hope? D:

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Eh, I'll keep it brief since it's a rather uninteresting story. Long story short, I've never been to an IRL tourney. I've been dying to, but for lack of a better term, let's just say I'm landlocked. No vehicle, no fellow smashers within 150+ miles, and the same goes for tournaments. Broke as well, so traveling that far would be... daunting, to say the very least.

That being said, I've resorted to strictly online play for competition. I've played my *** of for months now after getting back into the swing of things after a quarter-year hiatus. What my concern is, is that since I am not realistically able to attend any tournaments, let alone serious ones, that my efforts will be entirely in vain. Conversely, my hope is that WiFi will yield some fruit as far as serious competition goes.

As ridiculous as it may sound, I'm a competitive Ganondorf. Been working at the guy for months now, and I like to think I've made it to heights I'd previously thought impossible. As such, I have one question to anyone who can offer informed insight: is there any hope to be a competitive player, despite my inability to attend IRL tournaments? I know for a fact that, thanks to my discrimination between coasts for connection's sake, WiFi hasn't hindered my advancement as a player. I'm just, simply put, afraid that trying to be a competitive player via WiFi is viewed as futile due to the (rightful) shunning of it.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Many competitive players actually started out or became pretty good on wifi. Ally is basically the poster boy for a guy who started off as a wifi pro. Just don't give up, and you'll make it eventually. =D

Other notable players include Fiction, etc.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
Zhouten maybe?

but can't you get hold of a lan adaptor? Heard you shoul experience very little lag with other lan users.

Kief

Smash Ace
Lag isn't the whole difference between wifi and RL. People actually know MUs and stuff at RL tourneys. I'm a Link main and I don't get gimped much on wifi because people don't seem to know how to. However, in RL tourneys, it's like trying to land a hot air balloon over a hostile military air base. There's just no getting back on stage against people who know what they're doing, not consistantly at least.

My point is that you can experience success with Ganon on wifi, but RL tourneys you may find disappointing.

In the end I decided to just play for lulz anyway. :p

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Well, I guess that's one thing I don't have to worry about noticing a difference in between WiFi and IRL, is people knowing how to slaughter Ganon's recovery. Thankfully, I preempted the notion that WiFi players are inferior to IRL players, so I made it a point to player people I knew could easily kick my ***. :p

Pink murder

Smash Ace
☠
I got absolutely all of my experience online. I'm too young to drive alone let alone buy a car, and my parents don't really care much for my hobby. Not to mention the lack of competitive Brawl friends.

I think you should play competitively online, if only for the experience. Join some of our online tourney's hosted right here on Smashboards, or visit our friend finder. Playing online will definitely train you better than a couple of CPU'S will. Do this until you can afford a car or ride to take you to a serious tournament. That's my plan anyway.
☠

●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
If you come into some money, ask other smashers for rides.

Find people that can drive and pay for gas.

Moozle

Smash Champion
I think if you look a little bit harder you might be surprised to find more people around you that play smash. That happened to me, and I live in a pretty rural area. Trains are epic means of transportation :054:

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Thanks for the vote of confidence, you guys.

@Moozle: I've searched, man, lol. I've come across 4 thus far, and none of them are competitive, at least not to a level of driving out-of-state to attend a small tournament. KomicTurtle, Jorgeme, Artemis and Random Meta Knight Guy are the only ones, and I've spoken to them all about the notion, and they all declined due to inadequate interest, or inadequate means.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Hate to break it to you, but I'll be frank.

There is no hope to be a competitive player with the combination of Ganondorf and WiFi.

There have been WiFi players who begin attending tournaments and rise to great heights (Ally, Weruop). But they all played good characters.

Ganondorf is competitively unviable. It is, by any reasonable measurement, impossible for you to ever win a national, regardless of skill level with Ganondorf. Combine with that the WiFi handicap and you've got a problem.

-Ran

Smash Master
Listen to Praxis. Though one can become decent with Ganon, it is nothing more than a party trick. A decent Ganon is going to lose to the worst MK player at a tournament. Ganon lacks fundamentals that are required to show skill with. He has nothing to punish out of shield with, no grab game, a horrible recovery, his moves are incredibly laggy/slow and that's just the things I can think off of the top of my head with.

Ps: If I recall, Ally also competed in almost all of the Canada tournaments. It wasn't like Online was his only method of play, merely how the US started to hear about him.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Oh, don't worry, guys. I'm more than well-aware of who godawful Ganondorf is. I didn't mean competitive as in win tournaments with him, I mean competitive as in achieve the highest level I can with him. I intend on placing semi-well in tournaments eventually, but I'm not deluding myself into thinking I can take on MKs at tourneys while being gimped at 0%. I'm **** good with the guy, but I'm not going to trick myself into thinking 30% and below gimps are circumventable.

To give an idea of my rather underwhelming goals as him, I'm attempting to climb into the top 100 on the AiB ladder as him. Or at the very least, achieve the highest score. To my knowledge, NoEgo and Teevee are the highest as of yet, with 1600 and 1400 respectively. I'm at 1225 with 17-10. Think my rank is 496th. Long way to go. D:

He has nothing to punish out of shield with, no grab game, a horrible recovery, his moves are incredibly laggy/slow and that's just the things I can think off of the top of my head with.
A lot of that's true for the most part, but ftilt is a good oos punisher and his moves can be buffered and canceled, so a lot of startup lag can be alleviated. Without buffering, he's totally ****ed though.

Dokutayuu

Smash Apprentice
It's going to be tough but if you really want to do it, who's stopping you.

Ganondorf in Brawl+ and BBrawl might be worth a look at. Neither are as big as regular Brawl but Ganondorf is a lot more viable.

WhatIsRaizen?

Smash Ace
A lot of that's true for the most part, but ftilt is a good oos punisher and his moves can be buffered and canceled, so a lot of startup lag can be alleviated. Without buffering, he's totally ****ed though.
ftilt is 20 frames outofshield though lol.. that's kinda slow...

NNID
Budget_Player
Listen to Praxis. Though one can become decent with Ganon, it is nothing more than a party trick. A decent Ganon is going to lose to the worst MK player at a tournament. Ganon lacks fundamentals that are required to show skill with. He has nothing to punish out of shield with, no grab game, a horrible recovery, his moves are incredibly laggy/slow and that's just the things I can think off of the top of my head with.

Ps: If I recall, Ally also competed in almost all of the Canada tournaments. It wasn't like Online was his only method of play, merely how the US started to hear about him.
This. Ganon is pretty bad, man. Do that v

It's going to be tough but if you really want to do it, who's stopping you.

Ganondorf in Brawl+ and BBrawl might be worth a look at. Neither are as big as regular Brawl but Ganondorf is a lot more viable.
Seriously, Brawl+ Ganon is the shiznit. I should know, I play him.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
Like people have been saying Ganon + Wifi is a really bad combination

orange/xd

Smash Ace
Hate to break it to you, but I'll be frank.

There is no hope to be a competitive player with the combination of Ganondorf and WiFi.

There have been WiFi players who begin attending tournaments and rise to great heights (Ally, Weruop). But they all played good characters.

Ganondorf is competitively unviable. It is, by any reasonable measurement, impossible for you to ever win a national, regardless of skill level with Ganondorf. Combine with that the WiFi handicap and you've got a problem.

What he said.

Top Bottom