• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Invincible body parts during moves

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
I figure this would be useful for people across the board.

As you may know if you ever played with hitbox bubble mode in Melee, an appreciable number of attacks and actions have selected body parts invulnerable (actually, intangible) during execution. This essentially gives some moves more effective range and priority by temporarily disabling one or more of a charcter's hurtboxes from being hittable by other hitboxes. This same mechanic exists in Brawl and has been sitting rather obviously in PSA, although it is currently not in the list of premade events.

Each unique "event" in a PSA line has an 8-digit code. PSA has a premade list of events in plain English for our convenience, but is still using an 8 digit code that is particular to an event if you look at the text boxes while scrolling through them. The box next to the OK/Cancel button can be used to call upon an event manually via entering the 8-digit code.
--------
The 8-digit code for editing a "Bone Collision" is 06080200. Upon entering this line, you will see the numerical code itself and not a text-named event as it is not recognized by PSA's premade list of events. The line will appear as such with 2 parameters to edit, "06080200: 0-XX, 0-Y" where XX is the bone of interest, and Y is the type of body collision. I personally have not seen any Y values set to anything other than 2, which is the intangible bone collision.

06060100: 0-0, is the command that resets all bone collisions to normal. One can also reuse the Bone Collision code and set parameter 2 to a normal bone collision to revert individual bones. These should be used in conjunction with Synchronous/Asynchronous Timers just like offensive collisions.

Example attacks that can be observed in PSA of having these lines of code are Zelda/Sheik's Dsmash, Peach's Usmash/utilt, Fox and Falco's Usmash and Dsmash, etc.

Here are some screenshots of Melee with a couple of Peach's moves that exhibited this property, seen clearly through the game's debug mode:

GameSystem

Smash Journeyman
the only thing i understand is the title
Lol. I think what he's saying that when you perform some moves, the body parts that had hurtboxes disappear and they are basically invincible. Although DK fsmash isn't an example, i'll use it because it's easy to see. You already know that his hands are part of his body and have a hurtbox. A move with greater priority can hit his hands and DK will take damage. I think what Ryoko is saying is that for some moves, the hurtboxes of some of their limbs disappear and an attack will go through that body part and not affect them. That's my guess at least.

grim mouser

Smash Journeyman
Hm, this could be useful to slightly change range and such, as Ryoko mentioned. I didn't know this wasn't known, though. ._.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Here's a really old image of "bone" Peach in Melee, doing her Usmash for reference of this phenomenon for those not in the know. If anyone remembers the futility of trying to attack Peach from above while she uses Usmash, this is why.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Hey. He's right. I found that parameter on Snake's dash attack.

The bones are 11, 2D, 12, 2E, which appear to be his left shoulder, right shoulder, left arm, and right arm in that order.

Thank you!

Doval

Smash Lord
that is some messed up range on the weak hits...
The other two hitboxes take priority (the critical one being the highest in priority) so you can only get a weak hit if you fail horribly.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
You know, back when Sheik's needles had their own hurtboxes in Melee to have a chance to cancel them out, Peach could take a whole 6 needles to the side with Usmash easily without getting hurt.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
you could just powershield (or just regular shield) them, but let's admit. Up smashing needles to block them is just WAY sexier.

NNID
Budget_Player
the only thing i understand is the title
This.

Lol. I think what he's saying that when you perform some moves, the body parts that had hurtboxes disappear and they are basically invincible. Although DK fsmash isn't an example, i'll use it because it's easy to see. You already know that his hands are part of his body and have a hurtbox. A move with greater priority can hit his hands and DK will take damage. I think what Ryoko is saying is that for some moves, the hurtboxes of some of their limbs disappear and an attack will go through that body part and not affect them. That's my guess at least.
I got that far with just understanding the title, lol. :laugh: It's actually pretty clear, TBH. Good ****.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
I wish DK's hands where invincible during the part of Fsmash when the hitbox is out.

One of my friends used to tipper DK's hand. :(

Top Bottom