• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the Commander's video thread...FAT*** UPDATE 5/4/10

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
THE SEXIEST VIDEO THREAD ALIVE
Go dowwwn for update.
This is your average video thread but with some tournament insides and results.

The videos for each tournament will be in match-order of my bracket climbing
NONE OF THESE ARE FRIENDLIES, SO IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR FRIENDLIES, YOU'RE AN IDIOT.

ActiveGamers I ~ Singles

Finals was with Bardull in a 3/5 set that he won [He was a former southern California power ranked player, I don't know why he was removed]. Couldn't record these because camera was limited, it was a small tournament anyways.
ActiveGamers II ~ Singles

Round 2 wasn't recorded of my set with Bardull [which is the last video]. He just gayed me even more when I counterpicked Frigate to counter both his Marth and Falco...with Meta Knight [Yeah I can john only about Meta Knight because I need to work on the matchup]. After that, I defeated Hall's Snake who was power ranked at the time, our first round on Smashville in which I won. He counterpicked Yoshi's Island and he won a pretty close match. Then I counterpicked Rainbow Cruise in which I finished the match with a small wall infinite on the ship while we were both at high percents on our last stocks. These matches weren't recorded because I didn't feel like asking the cameraman again. Great games with him. Then I lost against JonT's Falco -_-. I'll post the link to the results of that tournament when I feel like it.

ActiveGamers II ~ Doubles

ActiveGamers III ~ Singles
I loved this bracket of mine. It was fun, and it seems that I still need to work on the Larry-Falco matchup. I beat others like Brent's and I beat Larry's before but I don't know what happened this time. He must've been working on the King Dedede matchup like a mother mucker. #3 Weekly would have to be the biggest turnout so far, with maybe thirty combatants. And yes, a bigger turnout than the Brawl side-event at Triple Threat Nationals.

ActiveGamers IV ~ Singles

It's worth it to see every video in this tournament, except for the ones against Donkey Kong I guess. There's something interesting or surprising in all the others. Don't assume anything about this, except that it's a bad coincidence that I couldn't get my matches recorded with Havok. He beat me pretty badly with Meta Knight with a 2-0, so enough said. That's how I went to the loser's bracket after those matches...which were right after I beat that "JM64".

ActiveGamers V ~ Singles

Quite a bit weren't recorded because I didn't feel I needed to. Sorry about those rounds at the bottom, they were cut off because of battery dying, I won them all anyways.
Unfortunately, another small tournament because of the tragedy that happened at the Triple Threat nationals. People aren't coming to these as much because of it. But the fact that it was a small tournament doesn't matter as much, because Dao is the power-ranked 5th Diddy Kong as of the 11/12/09 update. And I defeated him by those videos. I also beat him a 2nd time in the same tournament, and that time he finally used Diddy Kong for all 3 matches in finals. What, you don't believe me? Here's the bracket for the tournament.

My placing for 1st doesn't matter as much, just as long as I beat ranked people. But I got $27 that day, so... cool.

Onto the New Day ~ Singles

I lost to DSF being 2-0'd.... the second match wasn't recorded. And during the loser's bracket when I defeated those three people below DSF... I lose to Brent, a Falco, in which wasn't recorded either. Results on the tournament page will be posted soon.
Once I learn the Meta Knight and Falco matchups completely, and I still lose to one of them because they're still that hard, I may have to use my secondary against Falco only. It's getting too ridiculous that I'm only losing to him.

World 2-3 ~ Singles

Here's the results for this tournament. http://allisbrawl.com/event.aspx?id=7295
The funnest tournament I have been to so far. Me and a Sonic by the name of X, team up and we did very well. I knew we would be a good team too. We really did scare Tyrant and DSF in doubles for sure. We got 3rd.....

Wintergame Fest ~ Doubles

Ministry of Smash #5 ~ Singles
Just a couple of random ICs videos I forgot to put in here.​

I still haven't gotten around the Falco matchup... it's hard but not as hard as Meta Knight. >_>

rofljont

Smash Apprentice
list what the matches are what charactrer/player in this thread next to the vids so people can look for what they wanna watch lol

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Nah, I think his format is fine since its an individual video thread. People come her to peek at the beef, not to learn matchups.

CO18

Smash Hero
Bardulllll lol his marths really good he should be doing better at tourneys, played him at genesis. good stuff.

MiniTroika

Smash Journeyman
Once I get more memory for my camera, we can record even more ;) Especially for our doubles matches

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Lol, thanks homies, I'm glad you all enjoyed them. If you all didn't really see it, the 5th video is actually a very good match with Bardull. I'll update this with the next tournament in a few days.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Good **** beating Mike man.

I also find the falco match up very difficult with D3 :(
Thanks, I plan to beat him again, but I haven't gotten around to him in the brackets. Yes the Falco and Meta Knight matchups are definitely our hardest. I can and I have defeated other Falco's, but I can't seem to get around DEHF's...he's a lot smarter combined with it being a tough matchup. My next set of videos will prove to you that I can really defeat Falco's other than DEHF's.
No need to meteor cancel with Up B Beef, just jump. It won't kill you.
I'll keep that in mind... If it's against Meta Knight, I might have to upB so I can take the damage instead of geting gimped along with losing a jump or two.

Jenkins

Smash Lord
LOL CBEEF has a thread named after him.

TOTALLY not conceited.

at ALL.

and WTF you BEAT MIKEHAZE?

DAYUMMMMMM!!!

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I'll keep that in mind... If it's against Meta Knight, I might have to upB so I can take the damage instead of geting gimped along with losing a jump or two.

Oh no, I meant against the Falco, you got spiked and UpBed right away, he could have grabbed you out of that. You can either DI away from it or just jump meteor cancel the downair, its not strong enough from 0-60 to kill you with the jump cancel meteor Cancel.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Oh no, I meant against the Falco, you got spiked and UpBed right away, he could have grabbed you out of that. You can either DI away from it or just jump meteor cancel the downair, its not strong enough from 0-60 to kill you with the jump cancel meteor Cancel.
I'm aware of all that. But to tell you the truth, I was using a Wavebird at that time. People say that it lags more, but mine never lags for me, except for in that moment where I get spiked by Falco. That's the only instant where I notice that it gets input lag, which is why I never inputted the jump button, but rather I used upB instead.
I'm switching though.

Those are some sick inhale reverses (or whatever you call em) and very nice Dair usage *steals*
Wow lol, that's the point is to steal these type of things. Thanks though. Yeah inhale reversing is what it's called. The reason why I was doing that was for the reason to not get chaingrabbed which is what people like you should work on. Don't worry about knocking them back, as long as you deal some damage and that you're in the air. Apply it like that to Ice Climbers, Pikachu, and Falco too.

TlocCPU

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to critique your video against Bardull's falco.

I'm going to start by trying my hardest not to be bitter. The dedede boards are playing the falco matchup completely wrong. The places falco is getting damage are you are the places where you're doing the complete opposite of what my writeup suggests. I want to help you. This isn't about "who is the better dedede" or anything like that. This is about dedede players stepping it up and taking out falcos. I feel after taking SK92 to game 3 last hit, I've established that my strategy is the working one. Not even Co18 got as close as I did, so I really feel you guys should take me seriously on this matchup. With that out of the way, on to the critique!

You gave up the chaingrab 3 times, and it ruined the match.
1st stock - Died, inflicted 8% on falco before CG (below average)
2nd stock - 63%, inflicted 25% on falco before CG (Slightly below average)
3rd stock - 61%, inflicted 0% on falco before CG (bad)
You need to just be patient. Stop approaching falco at the beginning, you're giving up way too much without getting anything except on the second stock. A falco like lary will get 80-90 from the chaingrab every time as opposed to 60. Strike FD, get on the platform, and throw some waddle dees. When falco is near, dair camp and try to mindgame a shield grab. You should stay on the platform until the 50s, it is absolutely essential not to get chaingrabbed in this matchup. Even on Larry and SK, i get on average vs falco 30% before he gets me to 50. Once I'm 50 I start playing the matchup to my strategy. Instead of starting at 60+% without getting any damage, I've kept the match even and falco no longer has a super cheap advantage.

Your approach was unconventional, and didn't work. You kept shielding the lasers as you approached which is good, but you would stop in about Ftilt range and sit there spot dodging, and I saw you get punished every time except one where you did a SH reverse bair and stopped the side B. Don't try to outcamp falco, even at spacing range. Keep shielding the lasers and catch him with a grab on the landing. The most important point to this matchup is getting falco offstage, and one of the only ways you can do that is with your fthrow/bthrow. Be aggressive, and don't spot dodge. Spot dodging leads to falco **** :(
The aerial approach OVER the lasers DOES NOT WORK in the falco matchup. Larry himself has said he is more comfortable with dedede in the air than on the ground. Dedede gives falco a TON of trouble up close and on the ground. The air is where we lose. Yes we have the priority, but falco has tons more mobility and speed, and against a good falco, you're not going to land your aerials from above.

Your side B punishment was EXCELLENT. I only saw you miss one or two punishments, and you even landed a kill off of one. No critique there, just keep up the good work.

If I think of anything else I'll edit this post

TlocCPU

Smash Apprentice
I think that is dependent on how you use it...
Like if you're using it to eat spot dodges that's pretty good since it gets him offstage.
I buffer dtilt out of falco's jab and I think beef does too, it's pretty good.
I would never try to space with it though

∫unk

Smash Master
I think that is dependent on how you use it...
Like if you're using it to eat spot dodges that's pretty good since it gets him offstage.
I buffer dtilt out of falco's jab and I think beef does too, it's pretty good.
I would never try to space with it though
i didnt know that tight

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Okay weekly #3 videos are posted now. I would say that they are the most enjoyable and maybe you'll all learn something from them.
I added Doubles from weekly #2 also, they're a little shakey.
I'm going to weekly #4 tomorrow so maybe I'll get some more there.

TlocCPU

Smash Apprentice
Very basic things to be said about you vs Brent on Japes
Going to skip the basic falco matchup critique since I covered that in an earlier post

Most hurtful mistake of the entire match:
You were up by about 4 % and started throwing waddle dees and jumping into his lasers for no reason instead of just ducking and making him approach. The lasers put you over, and he made the realization that he doesn't have to approach at all. He got the kill and then began hardcore camping you.
The second mistake is what I was saying before, DONT GIVE UP THE CHAINGRAB. Instead of platform camping, you took on a falco head on on jungle japes, and you died for it. Let that be a lesson to you and everyone else about giving up the chaingrab.

I enjoyed watching you fight Meeks metaknight, you held your stock extremely well and made him scared to fight you with MK, causing what was practically a free win round 2.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Yeah thanks, you told me that before and I learned from it too, because I got more practice in a friendly against somebody today. I'm getting there CPU, I'll be sure to return the favor to you.

Get some videos up already boy!

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Sorry for the double-post.
I updated it with the next tournament list of videos. These are great this time.

I can't seem to find the Snake export thread, so I'll just say how the matchup should go down....in my thread. This is my favorite matchup of all time, and I know it more than any other matchup.
This matchup is Even in the current metagame. Why? Because he grenade/C4 camps us real bad, and he keeps us away fairly well with forward tilt. And in exchange to it being even...we have the chaingrab on him, and he gimp him very well offstage. It's all about getting that grab on him while onstage. But that doesn't mean that's your only option.
If you ever play an aggressive Snake [like Ally] or one who does approaching spotdodges or a lot of spotdodges in general [like Mojoe], do fullhop down airs. It ***** them every time and they have no answer for it, not their tilts, no nothing. They won't expect it.
Before I say everything we can do to his camping, just know that you should mix up all of these options and not stick to one. I learned that a while ago, the videos of me versus Hall only shows air camping, but hey, I made a mistake okay?
There are several different ways to avoid his grenades will he is camping you. The shining strategy is air camping, and waiting for that opening to grab him when you're coming down. Also, don't be afraid to either throw one back at him if he does a wimpy throw, or grab a grenade and approach with shield.
Waddle dees help this matchup more than any other matchups that are in the high tier or top tier range. [They help against Diddy Kong too, but meh.]
You won't get punished if you're far enough way to throw a couple waddle dees to thwart with his grenades. They help with explosions that are unexpected to Snake and they distract him, enough said about them. Never throw them when he's offstage. Wait until he comes down, or otherwise, keep gimping him while offstage.
If you're in moderate range while he has a grenade in his hand while he is in his shield, don't be afraid to forward tilt him. Be the farthest away to where you can forward tilt him.
If there are no other grenades in front of him, and he has one in his hand while you are semi-close, I have mindgamed Snakes with a simple dash to a forward throw. If they're use to you not approaching, do the opposite, that's called mindgames for you.
And if you manage to grab him while he has grenade in hand, the grenade will drop, and buffer chaingrabs, the timing of the grenade won't blow you up when you're passed him. If you see the timing of the grenade about to blow up, forward throw or up throw, and start buffering the shield button.

For me...handling his forward tilt is easy. As long as you predict it well and you know when it's going to come, it's fine. We all know that shielding it is the most safe option, so sure, we can do that, no problem. We can never punish him with a grab after he does the full forward tilt though. So do your forward tilt here, or a fullhop down air instead. You won't get punished here either because you'll be far enough away when Snake bumps your shield.
Another thing that nobody else has even mentioned for this matchup, Shield the "knee" portion, then spotdodge the hand. That's the guarenteed strategy if you want to punish with grab. The thing is...normally when I plan to do it, they don't do the "hand" part of the forward tilt, so this situation is all about reactions too. If you react fast enough when you don't see the "hand" coming, you can grab him there too, but normally they jab every time, and that's too fast for our grab. So there's many different outcomes to this, so it's all up to you to react fast enough to what he does.

Avoiding his up tilt is a sinch because it's predictable while we're on the ground, just shield on reaction. The only time when I get surprised by it, is when I'm in the air, that's when I die from up tilt. But otherwise, I hardly ever get hit by it.

So now that we've got the grab on him, chaingrabbing him to near the edge, you've got a number of hidden options that I will reveal. 1.) You can down throw once more, to a down tilt, then he'll be forced to upB, which is a gimping opportunity. You should be dashing and jumping immediately after your down tilt because he's only going to upB. 2.) You can grab release him. Keep pummeling if you want a grab release, and if you get a pummel break, back air stage spike. If he air releases, go out there and gimp him with forward air or back air.
3.) You can down throw once more and this situation involves more reactions, and timing.
Some things HE can do by recovering from the down throw:
1.) Jump and airdodge back on to stage. [Or jumping and forward air <----do up tilt to that]
2.) Jump and do the usual upB ascending.
3.) Jump on the ledge.

Now the third option is his safest, but what we have against him here, is to stage spike him with back air before he is close to the ledge. Hardest to time though.
If you forsee him jumping to an airdodge, do the following:

• If at 130% or higher : Up tilt or down smash for the kill
  • If at lower than 130% : do a pivot grab
And finally, after he jumps, and you see that little cypher pop up, prepare to jump and forward air him. It's all about reacting to what he does, in summarized form. The reactions take practice. Just know that you're safe from harm when you're edgeguarding him.
4.) Or you can do your standard forward throw when you're near the ledge. Expect an upB from him, so start buffering dash to a jump and gimp.

If we're ever above him, and he mortars, neutral air is the best mortar cancelling aerial out of the three : [back air, neutral air, down air.]
Neutral air leads to a free grab if we're close enough after you fast fall it, and if he's in the 0-10% range. If we're higher up, and he charges it to the max, neutral air it anyways lol.
If we're in mid range of distance, fastfall neutral air it, do a single jump/puff, dodge his attack and go for a fastfall back air.

We won't have any problem if we're both airborne. The only info I have for this is... is to learn to smash DI upwards out of his neutral air. Learn to predict his back air correctly, because it'll kill you at high percents. And know that back air outprioritizes his air game, that's it.

And our neutral air helps out this matchup a lot. There are many opportunites to do it when you know that you won't hit him with any other aerial at the moment. It's fast, and Snake's body is large enough to be hit by it. No I don't mean to go spamming it on him, I mean in special situations where he airdodges after upB'ing and our back air/forward air fail, neutral air then. There are situations also involving platforms where I'm forced to neutral air, it's hard to explain, but just add neutral air more to your game for this matchup while we're in the air. But if you're given the opportunity to forward air or back air, do that instead.

As far as killing him with our up tilt, it's somewhat easy we'll be given many chances to do so, mainly when he's already in the air. That's up to your timing of it.

If there's any more concerns on the matchup that I should cover, feel free to post.

TlocCPU

Smash Apprentice
I have a few questions...

1. Scenario: You have failed to shieldgrab his Ftilt, but you shielded both hits of it. Mojoe ALWAYS ftilts again and I can literally do NOTHING about it. If I continue shielding, my shield breaks, and I'm now too far away to shield grab the first hit. If I spot dodge, the second hit ***** me. Dedede's roll comes out too slow to avoid the first hit of the ftilt. Our own ftilt comes out at the same time and clashes with it, but we have more lag than him afterwards and he can ftilt you immediately before you can do ANYTHING. Are there ANY options to get out of the second ftilt?

2. What do you do about the grenade grab? It outranges my standing shield grab which makes nearly no sense to me whatsoever, and I have tremendous trouble punishing it.

3. Does the weak hit of the neutral air also cancel the mortar? I didn't think of using neutral air at all so I don't know.

4. What is the safest way to land vs snake? I've found that once i'm in the air I have a lot of trouble getting back. I either get grabbed, uptilted, snake dashed, or ftilted no matter what it seems. He always has a stupid nade out so if I try to swallow I end up getting fsmashed as an end result.

Great post, hope you can answer my questions. Thanks in advance :)

∫unk

Smash Master
only thing i hate seeing you do is spot dodge spam. when you spot dodge spam youre just hoping to get lucky... all the opponent has to do is their lasting hitbox spaced out and you lose every time. youre not attacking, youre not moving, so youre just hoping the opponent messes up. i realize it's super good in this game but i still don't like it.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
I have a few questions...

1. Scenario: You have failed to shieldgrab his Ftilt, but you shielded both hits of it. Mojoe ALWAYS ftilts again and I can literally do NOTHING about it. If I continue shielding, my shield breaks, and I'm now too far away to shield grab the first hit. If I spot dodge, the second hit ***** me. Dedede's roll comes out too slow to avoid the first hit of the ftilt. Our own ftilt comes out at the same time and clashes with it, but we have more lag than him afterwards and he can ftilt you immediately before you can do ANYTHING. Are there ANY options to get out of the second ftilt?
You must "full shields" like they say in Halo. I can already imagine it that two forward tilts won't break your shield. At this point, since you didn't spotdodge the "hand", don't even think about grabbing. It won't **** you if you spotdodge it correctly. And I have no idea what you mean though, our roll will evade and space us away dude. You should be buffering your dodge roll if you see another forward tilt coming, you have no other options. It's the safest option.

2. What do you do about the grenade grab? It outranges my standing shield grab which makes nearly no sense to me whatsoever, and I have tremendous trouble punishing it.
You think that it outranges our broken grab rance but it doesn't. It's about who inputs the grab animation first. Or at least we have to be ourside of his grab range while being the farthest away of our grab range. That's where we grab him out of it. But I recommend not doing this anyways.
3. Does the weak hit of the neutral air also cancel the mortar? I didn't think of using neutral air at all so I don't know.
All frames of the neutral air cancels the mortar. The point of the move in this situation is to fastfall it every time. But if you see an attack coming, jump out of the falling neutral air.
4. What is the safest way to land vs snake? I've found that once i'm in the air I have a lot of trouble getting back. I either get grabbed, uptilted, snake dashed, or ftilted no matter what it seems. He always has a stupid nade out so if I try to swallow I end up getting fsmashed as an end result.
Alrught from everything I've known about this situation, there are plenty of options you have. I always avoid what Snake does while in the process, which is why I get back on stage successfully. Assuming that he's not going to grenade-shield, you have a falling Inhale or reverse inhaling. This should be mindgamed.
But I'd say the best is to just predict and avoid everything he can do, and just land on stage that way. There's no real use in trying to take him head-on while falling.

only thing i hate seeing you do is spot dodge spam. when you spot dodge spam youre just hoping to get lucky... all the opponent has to do is their lasting hitbox spaced out and you lose every time. youre not attacking, youre not moving, so youre just hoping the opponent messes up. i realize it's super good in this game but i still don't like it.
No Junk, and as usual you understand it the wrong way, we're not spamming spotdodge at all. We're doing it once to avoid the "hand" part of his forward tilt.

∫unk

Smash Master
im not talking about the snake matchup im talking about your playstyle in general

when you do 3-5 spot dodges in a row (i saw it in at least 2 of your videos) youre just hoping to get lucky

why do people always get butthurt when i point this flaw out its not like im saying youre bad im just saying THATS bad

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Okay sorry. The times I do that are when I mindgame myself in not thinking at all because of the stress at hand. lol

Is there anything else that I did horribly in? Since you seem to only point that kind of stuff out. Anything?

TlocCPU

Smash Apprentice
im not talking about the snake matchup im talking about your playstyle in general

when you do 3-5 spot dodges in a row (i saw it in at least 2 of your videos) youre just hoping to get lucky

why do people always get butthurt when i point this flaw out its not like im saying youre bad im just saying THATS bad
Fiction did 8 spot dodges in a row vs m2k and then grabbed him.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Thanks bra. I guess I should only be given credit for defeating MikeHaze and not other ranked players right? lol
And Crashic...none of King Dededes have a capture card lol. Besides, people get the jist of what's happening with what the characters are doing with the decent quality [I think].

Tekk

Smash Lord
Wow beef you got an awesome Dedede, it seems like mine, in a better version xD.
I learn a lot about MU's watching your matches, keep uploading them man !
EVEN IF YOU BEAT ME ON THAT DUMB AIB LADDER BECAUSE OF A SD D:

Anyway, good shiz !

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
LOL @ Jet hammer kill!!!

Pretty good blue D3 you have C. beef.:)
LoL! You're the only other one that laughed at it. Everybody else took it seriously like an idiot! And...he has more white on him than blue, so I have a good white King Dedede. lol
Wow beef you got an awesome Dedede, it seems like mine, in a better version xD.
I learn a lot about MU's watching your matches, keep uploading them man !
EVEN IF YOU BEAT ME ON THAT DUMB AIB LADDER BECAUSE OF A SD D:

Anyway, good shiz !
Oh good! You learned more about matchups...and yeah hopefully I can get to another tournament this Saturday, but for sure I'm going to a big one in Los Angeles [hooray a closer one] on the 27th. And please...forget that set on that stupid website. I stopped playing that singles ladder for the Fall season because of suicides too. Our matches meant nothing bro, trust me. Pretend it never happened.
Thanks guys.

Top Bottom